• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

brandon

er guys..just wanna ask, is there something wrong with the current version of skyrim , as in 1.2, coz there have been numerous times where i am very sure i am hidden and right behind my target, buy no backstab scene appears , not even sneak damage and basically i get fluffed. thoughts?
idk i dont have my xbox online

Nightmare Shadow

Master of Shadow
I, too, have noticed a problem with sneaking up close and personal with the 1.2 patch. But I still dish out the critical damage. But the eye opens and then closes randomly, this messes with my head so much.

jjleonie

to backstab, u arent suppose to hold down the mouse longer is that it? and dont sneak damage applies everytime u attack when ur hidden..im taking about cases when im using a dagger of course and not towards monsters like dragons or giants

Nightmare Shadow

Master of Shadow
I don't know about PC, but on 360, as long as I'm crouched (with assassin blade perk), I do enough damage to kill.

brandon

I, too, have noticed a problem with sneaking up close and personal with the 1.2 patch. But I still dish out the critical damage. But the eye opens and then closes randomly, this messes with my head so much.
sometimes that happens to me when im being stalked by some animal in the fields. usually there is a skeever or wolf around me.

brandon

to backstab, u arent suppose to hold down the mouse longer is that it? and dont sneak damage applies everytime u attack when ur hidden..im taking about cases when im using a dagger of course and not towards monsters like dragons or giants
on 360 to do any sneak attack either with a bow or axe/mace you have to be hidden. not just crouched but if they hear you or see you then it wont be a sneak attack. you can use the throw voice shout to get them looking or standing where you need them to be.

Swordsmansmith

Good thread, just started a wood elf assassin. Should I still do main quest ir focus on theives guild and DB? Also should I fast level sneak? Or wait since enemy's scale with leveling?

brandon

Good thread, just started a wood elf assassin. Should I still do main quest ir focus on theives guild and DB? Also should I fast level sneak? Or wait since enemy's scale with leveling?
i always fast level sneak and smithing that way you can still be on par with the enemy weapon and armor wise. but ive heard that if you do the db quest before anything else it can interfere with the main quest line. i did the imperial side of it before i found the quest for the db. but the main quest didnt stop me from getting the db quest either so i dont think it matters.

1.2 for xbox sucks. just d/l'ed it and not only do I get those glitchy screens where it turns all one color for a second and you can see though walls/hills at certain angles, but there's a dragon (maybe it's not the patch, just the dragon?) just west of the place you get the Staff of Magnus that won't land and literally skips from one place to another in the air. I've tried everything to kill the damn thing. I've heard great things about pc gamers and the 1.3...can't wait til they release it on xbox.

More to the topic of the post...I'm still working on my Hero Nord character but I'm getting anxious to play as an evil assassin. Does anyone know how exactly the sneak skill levels? All it says is that you have to be "successfully sneaking". Does that mean you have to be near an enemy (i.e. on the radar), completely hidden, ect? Thanks

brandon

1.2 for xbox sucks. just d/l'ed it and not only do I get those glitchy screens where it turns all one color for a second and you can see though walls/hills at certain angles, but there's a dragon (maybe it's not the patch, just the dragon?) just west of the place you get the Staff of Magnus that won't land and literally skips from one place to another in the air. I've tried everything to kill the damn thing. I've heard great things about pc gamers and the 1.3...can't wait til they release it on xbox.

More to the topic of the post...I'm still working on my Hero Nord character but I'm getting anxious to play as an evil assassin. Does anyone know how exactly the sneak skill levels? All it says is that you have to be "successfully sneaking". Does that mean you have to be near an enemy (i.e. on the radar), completely hidden, ect? Thanks
i sneak everywhere and as long as your near an ememy the sneak level progresses. even if all i do is sit there with an arrow drawn it levels up. sometimes i have fun with the throw voice shout. that way if anyone is near you and you cant see them theyll go to where you want them too.
hey cheese head.
what was that? its over hear. nope im behind you and now you have my arrow in your knee. haha

jjleonie

i find sneak characters difficult when they take on dragons...freaking hard. anyway is nightingale armour the best for assassins? do u change it for dragon scale armour? would a make sneak 25% better hood with zero armour rating be better too?

brandon

i find sneak characters difficult when they take on dragons...freaking hard. anyway is nightingale armour the best for assassins? do u change it for dragon scale armour? would a make sneak 25% better hood with zero armour rating be better too?
yeah you cant just be a total sneak with dragons well some you can but not all of them. youll still need to invest into some armor and weapon skills.but when i get my nightingale armor im gonna drop my dragonscale for a couple dungeons to see how strong it is. i like how it looks.

brandon

If you have DB boots do you still need muffle spell?
not really but i waited till i was lvl 30 or so to to the db quest. and then the armor was way behind. so i just sold it cause i couldnt disenchant that armor. i was dissapointed.

Swordsmansmith

Im wondering what combat tactics to use when you have to fight and sneaking isn't an option? Such as a boss at the end of a dungeon. Especially at early levels, like right now for me. Do you still use twin daggers? What about the guys who disarm you?

Nightmare Shadow

Master of Shadow
Lots and lots of potions my friend. That's why I suggest leveling up in Alchemy, because you can create your own potions for free, create your own poisons for free, and create a whole bunch of fortify (insert skill here). IN combat, (when sneaking is not an option), I apply a poison to my elven dagger and let the venom take its course while still slashing away and healing with potions when necessary. Granted I am only level 20 here.

Jaeger

few more questions guys, isit wise to have a follower..according to past experience, most followers are horrible in sneaking, what do u guys think?

Maybe if you used Thief followers (there's a list at wiki and the other site), dressed in light armor, can a staff have muffle, boots with muffle.

Also, in the beginning playing, the elf from Riverwood kept dying on one of the bounties. I told him to wait, but he had a clear line of fire. I initiated the combat pegging a guy, then shooting a lamp over some oil. They run up the steps, first one hits the bear trap you saw earlier. And if I had a destruction ward, they would get that too. I was on the other side of the hallway with swords out, they came within fiendal eyesight, he peppered them while I hacked. Before I told him to wait here, he kept dying on me.

Nightmare Shadow

Master of Shadow
It should be noted that this playstyle can start off slow and be very frustrating to play at first. However, stick with it, and your patience will be rewarded 5 times over! I plan on starting a thread all about how to start off an assassin because I too have felt like switching to mage or back to warrior. Also being a vampire will be included.

Mehoe123

With my second character I been keeping it kind of balanced if you take a look at my signature.