Are the Thalmor really that bad?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
Just read a book in-game called Flight from the Thalmor about a bard that got arrested, escaped and then hunted down and killed because he sung a song about Talos one too many times. Sang it once a day for seven days and then it was curtains for him apparently.

NENALATA

Last King of the Ayleids - RETIRED
The Thalmor are that bad yes.

While I think the Dominion itself isn't all bad, the the problem with the Thalmor is they are too meddlesome. This will... ultimately, be their undoing.

That's the problem with Ulfric's rebellion, where the lie is. The fight for freedom is not just about Skyrim. It's about any Imperial Province.

frost_troll

The Thalmor are that bad yes.

While I think the Dominion itself isn't all bad, the the problem with the Thalmor is they are too meddlesome. This will... ultimately, be their undoing.

That's the problem with Ulfric's rebellion, where the lie is. The fight for freedom is not just about Skyrim. It's about any Imperial Province.

Attachments

• cry_thalmor_cry_meme_by_dianamuca-d5kdqz3.png
    cry_thalmor_cry_meme_by_dianamuca-d5kdqz3.png
    429 KB · Views: 5

Syrabane

Councillor of Artaeum
The original Thalmor were generally noble, founding the Aldmeri Dominion to protect merish civilisation from foreign conquerors.

The current Thalmor however are very nasty: there is strong evidence that they purged dissenters in their own lands and beyond including those who fled to Sentinel (see Legate Fasendil's dialogue). Their one good deed was preventing Alinor from falling to Mehrunes Dagon (without them, the isle would have been destroyed and all its people slaughtered).

Syrabane

Councillor of Artaeum
May not be the Thalmor per se, but that fact that the elves are constantly attacking the humans through-out history. The oldest weapons in Skyrim are especially designed to kill them; like Wuuthrad. Those familiar with the mage quest line will understand.

Not true. Altmer and Bosmer are actually traditionally isolationist and have rarely meddled in the affairs of Tamriel. Men are far more often the aggressors than mer in Tamrielic history.

-The Ice Queen-

Rightful Queen of Skyrim
What is the Thalmor's endgame? Besides High Elven supremacy, I have also read that they wish to "end the world," so to speak. Any truth to the latter? Or both?

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
So because they are easily dispatched that makes them somehow less evil and corrupt? Interesting concept.

was talking about bad, not evil. difference there is that bad is just action, and evil is a morality.

So prison camps, kidnapping, torture, destruction of property while taking innocent lives is just... bad? What does one have to do to achieve evil in your view? Kick a puppy?
Do something evil? Maybe the puppy deserved it.

Mr Forz

I'm helping. Mostly.
What is the Thalmor's endgame? Besides High Elven supremacy, I have also read that they wish to "end the world," so to speak. Any truth to the latter? Or both?

Unmake the world is more appropriate, before creation, where elves were much, much more than what they are now.

Rimfaxe96

Unmake the world is more appropriate, before creation, where elves were much, much more than what they are now.

Yet the chance of things truly going back to how they were are very slim. Not just humans happened, but Lorkhan too.

Basically they want to destroy the world to see what happens.

Swaggajack

Forum nooblet - PS3 Master race
As a human, i dont like the way they talk to us. Their attitude is plops, they look like aliens, their women arent even cute, its just all around bad vibes. I personally make sure every thalmor i come across feels the edge of my ebony 2h sword :) i even broke into their base near Solitude just to go on a beheading spree.

Mr Forz

I'm helping. Mostly.
Yet the chance of things truly going back to how they were are very slim. Not just humans happened, but Lorkhan too.

Basically they want to destroy the world to see what happens.

Oh definitely. Seems to be something they shared with the Dwemer, that hate of creation, the state they currently were in. Despised themselves really. At least the latter looked for means that were outside the box instead of destroying everything, though from what I've read, the results could have been far worse than a mere disappearance.

-The Ice Queen-

Rightful Queen of Skyrim

Ah, that makes sense. Well, uh, from their point of view, of course.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
The Thalmor seeking to end the world is a theory, could be they want that who knows. What we do know is they seek to recreate a New Merethic Era in which Elves were dominant.

Their current goal at the moment is to weaken and destroy the Empire, which stands for everything they're against.

Daelon DuLac

Well hat would certainly explain why my new Altmer in TESO is so nasty.

I'd want to end the world too if I had to deal with all those stupid humans running around like idiots killing everything in sight and getting under foot.

Sheesh - maybe ending everything and starting anew w/out humans would be a good thing.

Rimfaxe96

I'd want to end the world too if I had to deal with all those stupid humans running around like idiots killing everything in sight and getting under foot.

Sheesh - maybe ending everything and starting anew w/out humans would be a good thing.

18sn3aiqj2rongif.jpg

Excuse me? Elves have quite often shown that they're as inclined to destroy anything to oppose them if they can, although maybe less successful as humans. Snow Elves struck first against the old Nords, Ayleids enslaved any human they could get their hands on, and Altmer exterminated a lot of creatures after they landed on Summerset.

Besides, Lorkhan is the big boss of the TES universe. And he's pro-humans.

Daelon DuLac

18sn3aiqj2rongif.jpg

Excuse me? Elves have quite often shown that they're as inclined to destroy anything to oppose them if they can, although maybe less successful as humans. Snow Elves struck first against the old Nords, Ayleids enslaved any human they could get their hands on, and Altmer exterminated a lot of creatures after they landed on Summerset.

Besides, Lorkhan is the big boss of the TES universe. And he's pro-humans.

1) True
2) Check your lore. Humans attacked first and were driven back. Then committed genocide.
3) True - but what good are humans except as slaves. They're too stupid for anything else. We haven't discovered a way to make them good as a food source, but we will. We're working with the Bosmer on that.
4) Of course we did. Couldn't have anything interfering with our happiness and safety. Wouldn't you?

Rimfaxe96

2) Check your lore. Humans attacked first and were driven back. Then committed genocide.
3) True - but what good are humans except as slaves. They're too stupid for anything else. We haven't discovered a way to make them good as a food source, but we will. We're working with the Bosmer on that.
4) Of course we did. Couldn't have anything interfering with our happiness and safety. Wouldn't you?

2. You check your lore. It's common knowledge that human scholars say elves did the first strike, while elven scholars claim the humans started acting out. What we do know is that the Snow Elves did the first genocide though (Saarthal, Night Of Tears).

ku-xlarge.gif

4. Meh, I'll give you that.

-The Ice Queen-

Rightful Queen of Skyrim

2. You check your lore. It's common knowledge that human scholars say elves did the first strike, while elven scholars claim the humans started acting out. What we do know is that the Snow Elves did the first genocide though (Saarthal, Night Of Tears).

ku-xlarge.gif

I thought point 2 was still debated, yes? The Night of Tears part, that is.

Drahkma

Dashing Imperial Officer.
Nah, they're not that bad. They're just looking to make new friends....in slave form.

Daelon DuLac

ku-xlarge.gif

2. You humans do like to lie and twist things to you're own view of history. Our brethren only removed your vile influence from Saarthal. You abandoned the lands and then decided that you wished to take them back. We were but defending ourselves. You hunted our brothers and sisters down like the dogs you were. We will avenge them.
3. Rest assured. You may have your minor battle victories, but we will win the war and you will be subjugated. Your innate hubris will be your undoing. You doubt that we hold the keys? Perhaps I overstated the "slave" positions you may be offered. Perhaps "chattel" would be a more appropriate word.
4. Visit us at some point. We are proud of what we have and are happy to rub the noses of the savages in what they will never have.