Absorb Magic = Magic protection?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Mookie

You would probably want a shield, the Daedric artifact the one that has a ward would be useful. Spell breaker I think it is.

To be honest I dont see a need for it if I am going to concentrate on passive spell absorption, while swinging sword and casting destruction.

What about aetherium crown with lord stone + atronarch stone?
Sure. Without that, I'd go for Atronach instead of Lord, because it helps you recover, AND protects you 50% instead of 25% magic resistance.

If you do go Heavy Armor/Atronach, you'll want to wear Robes on the body for Magicka Regeneration. You also aren't slowed down as much. Bretons are shrimpy, especially the girls, so they get ultra sluggish in a full suit with shield. Having a shield more than makes up for not wearing body armor, and Armor of Magicka regeneration is beyond rare, you'd pretty much have to enchant your own.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
The Breton power ability only works for a minute, then you have to wait 24 hours to be able to use it. Atronach stone works like a flip of a coin, it'll absorb a spell or it won't. High level Mages will pound you with spell after spell, so I find magic resistance would be better, since the armor will give you an armor rating against melee and the resist will lower the damage of spells.

Mookie

Sure. Without that, I'd go for Atronach instead of Lord, because it helps you recover, AND protects you 50% instead of 25% magic resistance.

If you do go Heavy Armor/Atronach, you'll want to wear Robes on the body for Magicka Regeneration. You also aren't slowed down as much. Bretons are shrimpy, especially the girls, so they get ultra sluggish in a full suit with shield. Having a shield more than makes up for not wearing body armor, and Armor of Magicka regeneration is beyond rare, you'd pretty much have to enchant your own.

I wondered how much regen can you enchant on armor :/
Like heavy armor, helmet, boots etc..

To be honest I dont see a need for it if I am going to concentrate on passive spell absorption, while swinging sword and casting destruction.
It's more for Arrows, and people swinging swords back. Spell Absorbtion and Wards do little to nothing against physical damage. Also, you can use the Shield with Destruction, or any two of the three. With Dual Wield, and Impact, that gives you 5 different ways to approach a given fight. If you need more Armor, turtle up with a shield. Draugr, Burn them. Bandits, run circles around them with Firebolt, and Sword (Frost cloak rocks for this.) Dragons on the wing should be shot down with lightning Bolts, but save Impact to interrupt shouts rather than lockstunning them, or just absorb their breath to throw it back at them.

With minimal investment in Block, destruction, and One Handed you're covered against all kinds, and combinations of enemies at any range, even Flying.

I wondered how much regen can you enchant on armor :/
Like heavy armor, helmet, boots etc..
Right off the bat, not much. At least while you get Enchanting up to a decent level, you'll at least want to Carry robes to recover between fights. Your Potions will last a lot longer. I personally think the Mobility, and Magicka recovery is more than worth the slightly lower Armor Rating (Especially when that's not an uncommon effect.)

Mookie

It's more for Arrows, and people swinging swords back. Spell Absorbtion and Wards do little to nothing against physical damage. Also, you can use the Shield with Destruction, or any two of the three. With Dual Wield, and Impact, that gives you 5 different ways to approach a given fight. If you need more Armor, turtle up with a shield. Draugr, Burn them. Bandits, run circles around them with Firebolt, and Sword (Frost cloak rocks for this.) Dragons on the wing should be shot down with lightning Bolts, but save Impact to interrupt shouts rather than lockstunning them, or just absorb their breath to throw it back at them.

With minimal investment in Block, destruction, and One Handed you're covered against all kinds, and combinations of enemies at any range, even Flying.

I agree.
So to sum it up, should I go into alteration?
Restoration?
The problem is soo many options :/
What I have in my head now is:

Breton heavy armor, one handed (sword or axe what do you think) and destruction (alteration?)

Smithing enchanting and restoration

I agree.
So to sum it up, should I go into alteration?
Restoration?
The problem is soo many options :/
What I have in my head now is:

Breton heavy armor, one handed (sword or axe what do you think) and destruction (alteration?)

Smithing enchanting and restoration
Smithing isn't a high priority, and you can always come back to it. Enchanting takes all game unless you grind it, but that'll provide your endgame Armor with Robe enchantments. Block is optional, Alteration can give you the Atronach Perk, but you can't turn it off, so you better be damned sure you're not going to be conjuring after that, unless you want to pull a Legendary Loop on it. Also, Ebonyflesh can make up for not Smithing. Restoration would be nice, and the Ward Absorb Perk adds more Spell Absorbtion at will. The Recovery perks also enhance your Magicka Regen, so you won't need robes as much once you get to it, but both are canceled out by the Atronach Stone.

Try it all, see what you like. You can always restart, or go back to an older save if you end up nerfing your character. Work on Weapons, Armor, and Destruction first, save, then see what you can tack on the best. Block too, if you're going to use it, because it's a very slow leveler, and has to be built up throughout the game. (Without using exploits, like Grinding.)

Mookie

Smithing isn't a high priority, and you can always come back to it. Enchanting takes all game unless you grind it, but that'll provide your endgame Armor with Robe enchantments. Block is optional, Alteration can give you the Atronach Perk, but you can't turn it off, so you better be damned sure you're not going to be conjuring after that, unless you want to pull a Legendary Loop on it. Also, Ebonyflesh can make up for not Smithing. Restoration would be nice, and the Ward Absorb Perk adds more Spell Absorbtion at will. The Recovery perks also enhance your Magicka Regen, so you won't need robes as much once you get to it, but both are canceled out by the Atronach Stone.

Try it all, see what you like. You can always restart, or go back to an older save if you end up nerfing your character. Work on Weapons, Armor, and Destruction first, save, then see what you can tack on the best. Block too, if you're going to use it, because it's a very slow leveler, and has to be built up throughout the game. (Without using exploits, like Grinding.)

I never had problems with enchanting. It is the skill that goes up the fastest. The problem I have is smithing, which I never pushed above orcisch smithing, and that hapened only once. I found it to be very hard.
Will probably be even harder now with smithing mod that I had to get in order to get unoficial skyrim fix etc..
Alteration to get gold and smithing jewelry is my only hope I guess :/

I plan to use just basic wards so I can protect myself from dragon attacks. I never used block before, I actualy never block in the game, except to bash so not sure about that.
Well I will be off now.
I got tired of Alikr, too easy once I got windshear.

I never had problems with enchanting. It is the skill that goes up the fastest. The problem I have is smithing, which I never pushed above orcisch smithing, and that hapened only once. I found it to be very hard.
Will probably be even harder now with smithing mod that I had to get in order to get unoficial skyrim fix etc..
Alteration to get gold and smithing jewelry is my only hope I guess :/

I plan to use just basic wards so I can protect myself from dragon attacks. I never used block before, I actualy never block in the game, except to bash so not sure about that.
Well I will be off now.
I got tired of Alikr, too easy once I got windshear.
Bash is actually what I use Block for, but if you happen to get your shield up in time, it also protects against physical attacks, which is where I suspect this build would be weakest without it. Spells are a lot less common, while anyone can get surrounded, and pounded by bandits 5 minutes after leaving town. You see a 2 hander, either kite him around with Destruction, or get your shield out, trust me, you'll live a lot longer.

You can also Hack&Bash, or Bash&Burn on those tough ones you really don't want to hit you. The Draugr Lord at the end of Bleak Falls Barrow with the random weapon of Frost? Yeah, he can be a bit of a wake-up call for a lot of people. Warlord Gathrik is another good one. Anyone who uses Shouts against you, if you can get close enough. Disarm sucks when you're on the receiving end, but a quick bash interrupts them so they don't get it out with proper timing.

I love Block. No other tree gives you as much for as few perk points in the entire system, and it works with a remarkable number of skills. I wouldn't say it's manditory with a Spellsword, but it gives you an order of magnitude more options.

I always had more trouble with Enchanting than Smithing, especially in the late game when the Ingots start piling up. Whiterun has 5 vendors that carry supplies, and buy finished items. You don't have to hunt down rare, and obscure effects to disenchant, or depend on Radiant to finally come through with Muffle/Water Breathing. Only Alchemy is any more excruciating for me to level.

For Enchantments on the Body, I would stack Fortify Destruction and Magicka Regeneration (Disenchant any Robes of Destruction) with Magicka Regeneration. The first effect is fixed at 10% Magicka Regen, but that's 10 more than the other enchantment, and makes Destruction cheaper to cast. (You can also go Destruction/ Regen on Destruction if you're planning a Feuer Frei suit.) The hardest one for me is usually the Gloves, because the only one Mages can really use is Fortify magicka. However, with the Spellsword combo, you can Fortify one handed damage to fill that open slot. You might want to pick up Rahgot (Forelhost, you better roll heavy and deep) for massive armor, and 70 Stamina in a slot where you can't normally put Stamina. That, and the gauldur Amulet means not having to put a point in it, ever, unless you use a lot of Stamina.

Mookie

For Enchantments on the Body, I would stack Fortify Destruction and Magicka Regeneration (Disenchant any Robes of Destruction) with Magicka Regeneration. The first effect is fixed at 10% Magicka Regen, but that's 10 more than the other enchantment, and makes Destruction cheaper to cast. (You can also go Destruction/ Regen on Destruction if you're planning a Feuer Frei suit.) The hardest one for me is usually the Gloves, because the only one Mages can really use is Fortify magicka. However, with the Spellsword combo, you can Fortify one handed damage to fill that open slot. You might want to pick up Rahgot (Forelhost, you better roll heavy and deep) for massive armor, and 70 Stamina in a slot where you can't normally put Stamina. That, and the gauldur Amulet means not having to put a point in it, ever, unless you use a lot of Stamina.

That enchant gives 10% increase with 100 enchanting I think :sadface:

It will take 55 levels to get everything I want

And I am really geting dragged toward Nord character because of my roleplaying stile :p
Dont know if I will resist :)

(I never had problems even withouth shield or armor)
The ones I have problem with are the draugr in that place where you get poison resist dragon mask. Those dungeons in the reach with ebony weapon and shield draugr.

That enchant gives 10% increase with 100 enchanting I think :sadface:

It will take 55 levels to get everything I want

And I am really geting dragged toward Nord character because of my roleplaying stile :p
Dont know if I will resist :)

(I never had problems even withouth shield or armor)
The ones I have problem with are the draugr in that place where you get poison resist dragon mask. Those dungeons in the reach with ebony weapon and shield draugr.
Forelhost is one of them. We're talking a Scourge 2 Dragr, Frost Atronach, and traps in 1 corner, then down the hall the same thing, over, and over... Not a whole lot of Ebony Armed Deathlords unless you go there at a real high level, but that's arguably the hardest crypt in the vanilla game. So worth it for Rahgot's Mask, Staff, an Storm Call word wall, and countless Experience fighting your way through.

You may not have had a problem before, but is this your first Battlemage? You'll need Magicka, which means less health, so you'll need more Armor than a straight up Warrior. YMMV, though.

Mookie

Forelhost is one of them. We're talking a Scourge 2 Dragr, Frost Atronach, and traps in 1 corner, then down the hall the same thing, over, and over... Not a whole lot of Ebony Armed Deathlords unless you go there at a real high level, but that's arguably the hardest crypt in the vanilla game. So worth it for Rahgot's Mask, Staff, an Storm Call word wall, and countless Experience fighting your way through.

You may not have had a problem before, but is this your first Battlemage? You'll need Magicka, which means less health, so you'll need more Armor than a straight up Warrior. YMMV, though.

Idk, I went there around lvl 15 or something. Draugr with ebony greatsword or ebony sword and shield. Had to run behind the door and try to lure him close enough to hit him with my axe (didnt have bow or magic)
That was the only time in the game when I was close to dying, and I play on adept the whole time.

Twiffle

No, Bound Weapons and Necromancy aren't affected, only Summons.

oooo i didnt know that, so i could play a necromancer and have the spell absorbtion with no down side then as i wont be summoning but raising ?

You will still take full damage from the attack, but you will absorb half of the damage they do, and turn that into magicka. 100 damage spell, 50% magic absorption, you take 100 damage, but gain 50 magicka.

Mookie

You will still take full damage from the attack, but you will absorb half of the damage they do, and turn that into magicka. 100 damage spell, 50% magic absorption, you take 100 damage, but gain 50 magicka.

I tested it out. You receive half damage. With 100% you dont take any magical damage

Sorry, no. That's Magic Resistance. 50% Spell absorption is a 50/50 chance to absorb, or not absorb the entire spell. If it's Destruction, it's all, or nothing unless it's a Concentration spell like Flames, and Firebreath. Those count as a bunch of little effects, so about half are absorbed, while the other half aren't. (Which is also why wards are so effective against Dragon Breath.) A firebolt is either swallowed whole, or does full damage.

Sorry, no. That's Magic Resistance. 50% Spell absorption is a 50/50 chance to absorb, or not absorb the entire spell. If it's Destruction, it's all, or nothing unless it's a Concentration spell like Flames, and Firebreath. Those count as a bunch of little effects, so about half are absorbed, while the other half aren't. (Which is also why wards are so effective against Dragon Breath.) A firebolt is either swallowed whole, or does full damage.

Huh. Sorry I doubted you. I had to go into the game file to make sure, but sure enough, it is calculated as a chance, not a percentage, interesting game mechanics.