Absorb Magic = Magic protection?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Mookie

So the question is does absorb magic equal magical resistance, meaning that absorbing 50% magic means 50% less damage from incoming spells?
Or do I take full damage and just absorb magicka at the same time?

So the question is does absorb magic equal magical resistance, meaning that absorbing 50% magic means 50% less damage from incoming spells?
Or do I take full damage and just absorb magicka at the same time?
50% Spell Absorbtion means the odds of absorbing any given spell. Half the time you absorb the entire spell, and all effect, and the other half nothing. It also doesn't stack with Resist Magic, or any of the elements so if you have 50% Spell Absorption, and 50% Magic Resistance, you aren't immune, but first a spell is absorbed, or not, then the ones that get through deal half damage. Likewise, a Breton with the Lord, and Elemental Protection doesn't have 100% imunity to elemental damage, but first it's halved, then the remaining half is halved again (down to 25% if you have 50 of both) I was just using 50/50% for example, because that's easy to get, and run the math in my head. Spell Absorption is effectively capped at 100%, which means immunity to spells, AoE, even Poison, and Disease. However, it also absorbs Summons, so Familiars, Atronachs, and Dremora lords get progressively less reliable the more Absorption you have, and become impossible with 100%

With 85% of both Magic, and all 3 Elemental resistances, all offensive spells go down to about 4% of the original damage. That's 1/25th, the maximum protection you can get that way. I can get 80%/80% relatively easy without enchanting if a Breton has the Lord Stone, Resist Magic perks from Alteration, Elemental Protection, and Otar. Of course, than means you have to go Heavy Armor, and Shield, which ain't real mobile, but you really don't have to worry about Magic, and Sheild Wall stacks with Armor even beyong the cap so you can also get 85/85% off physical damage. Unfortunately, all this investment into Defence takes a lot out of Offence, so every fight is going to take a while...

Mookie

50% Spell Absorbtion means the odds of absorbing any given spell. Half the time you absorb the entire spell, and all effect, and the other half nothing. It also doesn't stack with Resist Magic, or any of the elements so if you have 50% Spell Absorption, and 50% Magic Resistance, you aren't immune, but first a spell is absorbed, or not, then the ones that get through deal half damage. Likewise, a Breton with the Lord, and Elemental Protection doesn't have 100% imunity to elemental damage, but first it's halved, then the remaining half is halved again (down to 25% if you have 50 of both) I was just using 50/50% for example, because that's easy to get, and run the math in my head. Spell Absorption is effectively capped at 100%, which means immunity to spells, AoE, even Poison, and Disease. However, it also absorbs Summons, so Familiars, Atronachs, and Dremora lords get progressively less reliable the more Absorption you have, and become impossible with 100%

With 85% of both Magic, and all 3 Elemental resistances, all offensive spells go down to about 4% of the original damage. That's 1/25th, the maximum protection you can get that way. I can get 80%/80% relatively easy without enchanting if a Breton has the Lord Stone, Resist Magic perks from Alteration, Elemental Protection, and Otar. Of course, than means you have to go Heavy Armor, and Shield, which ain't real mobile, but you really don't have to worry about Magic, and Sheild Wall stacks with Armor even beyong the cap so you can also get 85/85% off physical damage. Unfortunately, all this investment into Defence takes a lot out of Offence, so every fight is going to take a while...

If I use a breton, with an atronarch stone, and also activate special ability, does that give me 100% imunity to magic and absortion for 60 secs?
And if I understood right that also means that my attacks are weaker, right?

If I use a breton, with an atronarch stone, and also activate special ability, does that give me 100% imunity to magic and absortion for 60 secs?
And if I understood right that also means that my attacks are weaker, right?
Yes, the Atronach Stone+Dragonskin=Imunity to magic for a minute. No, it doesn't make your attacks weaker, what I was saying is that investing in Magic Resistance, Block, and Armor takes away from points you could put toward winning the fight. Tanking doesn't win on it's own. Also, the shield means you can swing a 1 handed weapon, where as dual wield, or 2handed would do more damage. I was just giving an example of Maximum Protection, at the expense of some offensive capability. There's no effect of Spell Absorption on your own attacks.

Mookie

At the same time magic absorption is not all that great for conjuration users that wants to summon Daedra creatures. It's nearly impossible.

Does it influence summoned creatures and how o_O?
I just tested it, and yeah, breton power and atronarch is complete imunity to magic + insane magicka when fighting mages.

So to sum it up, atronarch + atronarch skill in alteration + miraaak robes means complete immunity to all magic attacks :O
Oh God XD

At the same time magic absorption is not all that great for conjuration users that wants to summon Daedra creatures. It's nearly impossible.
There's ways around that. Dragonskin is at will, so you can summon your Atronachs, then use your power once they're out. If you don't mind the Dragonborn DLC, you can also strap on Miraaks Robes/Boots/Gloves for another 25% (after you summon) on the body. Ward Absorb is another 20%, but gets raised to 70% with Ahzidal's Gauntlets of Warding. (Ward absorb has no effect on Summons.) Of the 30% that gets through the shield, 3/4 will be absorbed by the body for an effective 7.5% odds of anything getting through, and you can still summon. (I use all these tricks, and more on my Sorcerer builds.)

Mookie

There's ways around that. Dragonskin is at will, so you can summon your Atronachs, then use your power once they're out. If you don't mind the Dragonborn DLC, you can also strap on Miraaks Robes/Boots/Gloves for another 25% (after you summon) on the body. Ward Absorb is another 20%, but gets raised to 70% with Ahzidal's Gauntlets of Warding. (Ward absorb has no effect on Summons.) Of the 30% that gets through the shield, 3/4 will be absorbed by the body for an effective 7.5% odds of anything getting through, and you can still summon. (I use all these tricks, and more on my Sorcerer builds.)
Oh my.. So in everyday terms the bigger absortion the weaker the daedra?

Oh my.. So in everyday terms the bigger absortion the weaker the daedra?
No, you just get the Magicka back, and nothing happens. Remember, Spell Absorption is a percentile chance to absorb the whole spell, not a reduction in the effect.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Not weaker, it's they sometimes fail. So you may end up having to try summon the bugger five times before it comes out.

Mookie

No, you just get the Magicka back, and nothing happens. Remember, Spell Absorption is a percentile chance to absorb the whole spell, not a reduction in the effect.

Oh I see :)
Well that is OK :)
(Are summoned weapons included o_O?
Because I think I just found a way to play a battlemage, first time XD
Before I was usualy scared from the Atronarch stone because of 50% less regen.

Oh I see :)
Well that is OK :)
(Are summoned weapons included o_O?
Because I think I just found a way to play a battlemage, first time XD
Before I was usualy scared from the Atronarch stone because of 50% less regen.
No, Bound Weapons and Necromancy aren't affected, only Summons.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I think it's spells that affect you, so your summons and bound weapons. It might affect more than conjuration.

Edit: Alright bound weapons aren't affected.

Mookie

No, Bound Weapons and Necromancy aren't affected, only Summons.

Ok :)
Thanks everyone.
I usualy dont play mages so I had soo many questions.
What skills would you recomend for a breton + atronarch stone heavy armor battlemage?
And how to divide between health, stamina and magicka?

I think it's spells that affect you, so your summons and bound weapons. It might affect more than conjuration.

Edit: Alright bound weapons aren't affected.
Neither is Healing, though you can stand in a Guardian Circle with The Atronach/Dragonskin and absorb Magicka with Health. 60 secconds of ungodly OPness with a sorcerer. You don't want to stack up to 100% or you won't get the Healing as well. Cloak Spells should be affected as well, but it's truly just Summons that proc that glitch.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Thanks everyone.
What skills would you recomend for a breton + atronarch stone heavy armor battlemage?

Depends on the type of Battlemage.

Thanks everyone.
Weapons? Block, so you get the Physical protection to go with the Magickal. If you haven't noticed, you get a lot more weapons swung at you than Spells. Also, Elemental Protection only adds to your defence.

Mookie

Weapons? Block, so you get the Physical protection to go with the Magickal. If you haven't noticed, you get a lot more weapons swung at you than Spells. Also, Elemental Protection only adds to your defence.

What about aetherium crown with lord stone + atronarch stone?

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
You would probably want a shield, the Daedric artifact the one that has a ward would be useful. Spell breaker I think it is.