Imperials or Stormcloaks, what one?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

KingNLD

There are so many pages that it's almost impossible for me to search enlightment for my doubt.

So I ask (probably again) :
If I've joined the "Stormcloak Rebellion", can this have a negative impact on the main questline (going to Blackreach, killing Alduin, etc) ?
From what I've read on the wikia, it seems that it can only affect the giving of one single quest: Season Unending.
It doesn't seem like a very important quest, but I'm wondering if there can be more than that.
From how it started I can assume that I have to help Ulfric conquer all of the holds, and probably afterwards he'll became the High King... or I'll become it, I don't know. (although, come to think of it, banging Elisif sounds quite intriguing :D )

My first worry was that I could loose my houses, housecarl and goods. But it seems that in Whiterun nothing happenned to them.
So, in conclusion:
If I continue the Stormcloak Rebellion, will I still be able to:
- find my house in Solitude ok ;
- access the stores (Warmaiden's, Arcadia's Cauldron - which seem closed after Whiterun's assault) ;
- kill Alduin and finish the game ;
And is "Season Unending" such an important and fun quest ?
Many thanks.

the better choose is first take the dragons to there end!
then do the civil war. that is what i did! but it have not effect
only that you can skip that long conversation about giving land and blabla.

Stormcrown

I never really liked Imperials,My first TES game was morrowind,I always seen them as the "we are better then you,elitist attitude" Kind of person.

And i believe skyrim should not be ruled by another country,If imperials rule skyrim its legal to take talos worshippers as prisoners and torture them.

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
I never really liked Imperials,My first TES game was morrowind,I always seen them as the "we are better then you,elitist attitude" Kind of person.

And i believe skyrim should not be ruled by another country,If imperials rule skyrim its legal to take talos worshippers as prisoners and torture them.

You should read all those 500 pages before posting here

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
From all the hours i have played, when i've chosen stormcloaks there has never been a problem with anything exept rubble in whiterun and solitude. I chose stormcloaks coz they want to be free from imperials and never bow to the thalmor who is hunting them down(like the mission missing in action) for believing in talos.

"When the government violates the people's rights, insurrection is, for the people and for each portion of the people, the most sacred of the rights and the most indispensible of duties." Marquis de Lafayette

If you think about this it all fits in, Lafayette was a french helping the americans to fight against the british during the american revolution. It's similar to skyrim civil war if you replace the government with imperials and people with skyrim.

The Thalmor have been in Skyrim for twenty six years, there were no incidents with them, people weren't being dragged off into the night. The Nords didn't pay much attention to the treaty, everyone had their little shrine to Talos. It wasn't until the rise of Ulfric Stormcloak who the Thalmor try to keep alive and provide indirect aid to his Stormcloaks, are they able to do what they like. The Empire is busy fighting the Civil War, this allows Thalmor to take people off in the middle of the night.

One does not exactly honor Talos by destroying His Empire. Talos/Tiber Septim didn't build temples to himself, nor did he demand worship as a God. His dream was a Tamriel under his banner.

The treaty was poorly enforced, taking the Thalmor an entire week of someone shouting about Talos in Markarth to arrest him. Markarth being the headquarters of their Talos worship hunters.

"We didn't pay much attention to it when I was a boy - everyone still had their little shrine to Talos. But then Ulfric and his "Sons of Skyrim" started agitating about it, and sure enough the Emperor had to crack down." - Alvor

Yes, but the Empire is preparing for war with the Dominion. Given the two choices, of Ulfric and Galmar taking their entire army to the dominion with no real plan and the only way to get there would be by boat, which would slaughter thousands but Ulfric would get his song. I prefer the Empire's plan, which already has the Legions stationed along the Dominion's border.

Stormcrown

The Thalmor have been in Skyrim for twenty six years,

Yes, but the Empire is preparing for war with the Dominion. Given the two choices, of Ulfric and Galmar taking their entire army to the dominion with no real plan and the only way to get there would be by boat, which would slaughter thousands but Ulfric would get his song. I prefer the Empire's plan, which already has the Legions stationed along the Dominion's border.
OF course,Skyrim cant just bring down the thalmor on their own,at least not in summerset isles. But they can defend their homeland from them and drive them out.

And if the stormcloaks plan to take the fight against the thalmor in other provinces then skyrim,They could get help from Hammerfell. The redguard would most likely side with the stormcloaks instead of the imperials.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
OF course,Skyrim cant just bring down the thalmor on their own,at least not in summerset isles. But they can defend their homeland from them and drive them out.

And if the stormcloaks plan to take the fight against the thalmor in other provinces then skyrim,They could get help from Hammerfell. The redguard would most likely side with the stormcloaks instead of the imperials.

Hammerfell wouldn't exactly been in the perfect position to help. They fought on for nine years and devastated their province. That and Hammerfell and Skyrim don't have the best relations, not since Skyrim invaded them and stole many miles of land during the Imperial Simulacrum.

Ulfric doesn't ask for help, and with many racial Stormcloak views, would the Redguards really be willing to work alongside them? The Stormcloaks do not buy, nor really trust anyone who isn't a Nord. Ulfric viewed peaceful negotiations for a truce at the end of the world as a sign of weakness, would he really ask for aid?

Stormcrown

Hammerfell wouldn't exactly been in the perfect position to help. They fought on for nine years and devastated their province. That and Hammerfell and Skyrim don't have the best relations, not since Skyrim invaded them and stole many miles of land during the Imperial Simulacrum.

Ulfric doesn't ask for help, and with many racial Stormcloak views, would the Redguards really be willing to work alongside them? The Stormcloaks do not buy, nor really trust anyone who isn't a Nord. Ulfric viewed peaceful negotiations for a truce at the end of the world as a sign of weakness, would he really ask for aid?

lol. Stormcloak racial views.. -_-, Dude :) The redguards of today obviously dislike the empire. And Nords dont have a problem with Redguards,Redguards and Nords are simmilar in many ways. And Skyrim can defend themself,It will take time for them to rebuild, But both Hammerfell and Skyrim dislike the empire and hate the thalmor. they would make a great team.

High King of Skyrim

King of the barbarian horde
lol. Stormcloak racial views.. -_-, Dude :) The redguards of today obviously dislike the empire. And Nords dont have a problem with Redguards,Redguards and Nords are simmilar in many ways. And Skyrim can defend themself,It will take time for them to rebuild, But both Hammerfell and Skyrim dislike the empire and hate the thalmor. they would make a great team.
I agree that Redguards and Nords are similar in that both provinces promote the warrior culture. You may have a point about Hammerfell disliking the Empire, although I'm not too sure Skyrim as a whole does. A minority of Nords dislike the Empire and they call themselves the Stormcloaks. Most Nords actually support the Empire, even though, the ban of Talos worship frustrates all Nords, no matter what their particular affiliation. Not to mention the Thalmor being allowed to operate much like the gestapo did in WW2. I agree that Redguards and Nords would indeed make a formidable force if ever united, but only if the two provinces as a whole united, rather than small pockets of both populations.

Ru;indil

Mage Lord of Skywatch
I agree that Redguards and Nords are similar in that both provinces promote the warrior culture. You may have a point about Hammerfell disliking the Empire, although I'm not too sure Skyrim as a whole does. A minority of Nords dislike the Empire and they call themselves the Stormcloaks. Most Nords actually support the Empire, even though, the ban of Talos worship frustrates all Nords, no matter what their particular affiliation. Not to mention the Thalmor being allowed to operate much like the gestapo did in WW2. I agree that Redguards and Nords would indeed make a formidable force if ever united, but only if the two provinces as a whole united, rather than small pockets of both populations.

Actually , I don't think all Redguards hate the Empire. Some are still in the Legion , so it could also be that only the Crowns hate the Empire. The Forebears might know why the Emperor signed the treaty. Correct me if I am wrong though.

Ru;indil

Mage Lord of Skywatch

Actually , I don't think all Redguards hate the Empire. Some are still in the Legion , so it could also be that only the Crowns hate the Empire. The Forebears might know why the Emperor signed the treaty. Correct me if I am wrong though.

High King of Skyrim

King of the barbarian horde
I don't believe all Redguards hate the Empire either but the bitterness that occurred between Hammerfell and the Empire in the final phase of the war cannot be understated. In the Redguard's minds, they were betrayed by the Empire and still drove off the Dominion. I don't imagine they'd feel an immediate need to align with anyone, Nord or otherwise.

Docta Corvina

To the point about all Redguards hating and disavowing the Empire, I must agree with those who say to the contrary. In spite of the Concordat and its highly controversial terms and the subsequent fallout, Redguards are to be found among the highest and most esteemed Imperial ranks - specifically, the Penitus Oculatus. I do not think that Bethesda would have shown us Oculatus men of that race if they wanted to maintain the notion that all Redguards would have nothing to do with the Empire, let alone the portion that serves to protect the Emperor and carry out deadly strikes against those who would threaten him. It is not monolithic, just as the situation in Skyrim is in no way monolithic. Though it could well be argued that Skyrim is even less so than the circumstances in Hammerfell. But I would say that it is just as important and notable when they show us Altmer and Dunmer officers, as well as show us Orcs and women who have ties to the Legion. It helps to complete the picture. If that makes sense. :p

I think the Concordat added some degree of divisiveness and strife in Hammerfell, clearly. But as Ru;indil pointed out, the Forebear Redguards are much more likely to recognize the perceived necessity of the treaty's signature and continue to support the Empire - including helping to fill its ranks. We would have to read or hear from contemporary political sources to be sure or at least better informed, though. I suspect since it wasn't really a focal point in Skyrim, we will ascertain some in subsequent lore featured in upcoming iterations of the series.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage

While some may dislike the Empire, the Redguards shouldn't forget without the Empire's actions they wouldn't of been even able to form a treaty with the Thalmor. The Empire weakened the Dominion greatly, especially General Decianus, who left behind many of his veteran Legionnaires who formed the core of the Army that forced the Dominion retreating all across Hammerfell, taking heavy losses.

While some Redguards may dislike Cyrodiil, rest assured they hate Skyrim with a passion. The provinces rarely ever work together without the Imperials forcing them to. They much rather invade each other and kill each other, Skyrim had no problems with invading Hammerfell and High Rock, destroying their armies and taking many miles of their lands when Imperial authority was low. That created very lasting effects between the province of Skyrim and especially Hammerfell.

People try to make out Ulfric like he would truly ask for aid. The man thought stopping the war temporarily and dealing with dragons slaughtering his kin as a sign of weakness. Protecting his people a sign of weakness if it meant talking. So why would he suddenly ask the Redguards for aid? Redguards who hate them, more than they hate the Empire.

Hammerfell has their own treaty with the Thalmor, just like the Empire does.

Forebears are being said they like the Empire and may be seeing reason, so Stormcloaks would have to try with the Crowns? Except the Crowns hate the Nords like no tomorrow.

So, take your pick on which side you want to try ask for aid in Hammerfell. Forebears who were very Empire supporting, or Crowns who dislike the Empire, but hate the Nords with a passion for what they did during the Imperial Simulacrum.

Skyrim's only "friend" was Cyrodiil, now everyone hates Skyrim.

KingNLD

While some may dislike the Empire, the Redguards shouldn't forget without the Empire's actions they wouldn't of been even able to form a treaty with the Thalmor. The Empire weakened the Dominion greatly, especially General Decianus, who left behind many of his veteran Legionnaires who formed the core of the Army that forced the Dominion retreating all across Hammerfell, taking heavy losses.

While some Redguards may dislike Cyrodiil, rest assured they hate Skyrim with a passion. The provinces rarely ever work together without the Imperials forcing them to. They much rather invade each other and kill each other, Skyrim had no problems with invading Hammerfell and High Rock, destroying their armies and taking many miles of their lands when Imperial authority was low. That created very lasting effects between the province of Skyrim and especially Hammerfell.

People try to make out Ulfric like he would truly ask for aid. The man thought stopping the war temporarily and dealing with dragons slaughtering his kin as a sign of weakness. Protecting his people a sign of weakness if it meant talking. So why would he suddenly ask the Redguards for aid? Redguards who hate them, more than they hate the Empire.

Hammerfell has their own treaty with the Thalmor, just like the Empire does.

Forebears are being said they like the Empire and may be seeing reason, so Stormcloaks would have to try with the Crowns? Except the Crowns hate the Nords like no tomorrow.

So, take your pick on which side you want to try ask for aid in Hammerfell. Forebears who were very Empire supporting, or Crowns who dislike the Empire, but hate the Nords with a passion for what they did during the Imperial Simulacrum.

Skyrim's only "friend" was Cyrodiil, now everyone hates Skyrim.

mabye back in the years they hate Skyrim but that is long history!
Hammerfell do not hate Skyrim! and if they do than Always not so much as for the Empire..

if they can kick the thalmor back than Skyrim can! the best Warriors are Nords.
if they join together the empire is nothing.

Ozan

the Magnificent Bastard
Khajiit has question. If the Thalmor has been in Skyrim without incident for 26 years without dragging anyone off, why are they hated? If Ulfric requested to worship Talos in exchange for Markarth, why was the Jarl hoping they wouldn't find out? He took a risk to save his city, why was it a risk if the Thalmor truly are as chipper as the Colovian implies...

Khajiit is worried. Worried that the Colovian is so willing to claim such things, bordering comradery. Ozan shall continue to support the Stormcloak.

Ru;indil

Mage Lord of Skywatch
Hammerfell do not hate Skyrim! and if they do than Always not so much as for the Empire..

Nope , best warriors are the Orcs :p.
Also , this isn't true. Even if Hammerfell and Skyrim (which they likely won't) join together , they won't be able to beat the Empire. The Empire doesn't cares much about the Stormcloak Rebellion , as shown when Tullius says ''The real show with the Aldmeri Dominion is about to begin'' or something like that , showing that most of the veteran soldiers are in Cyrodil.

Also still most Redguards and Nords are in the Imperial Legion or support the Empire , with only some of them against the Empire.

Another thing : The Imperial Legion, also known as the Imperial Army, is the terrestrial component of the armed forces of the Empire of Tamriel. It operates under the auspices and with the authority of the Emperor himself, and, with its vast numbers, quality training, and rigid discipline, is considered one of the most powerful fighting forces ever assembled in history.
While in peacetime the Legion serves primarily as a garrison force, manning forts, patrolling roads, and providing guardsmen for towns, cities, counties, and nobles, in wartime the Legion's responsibilities and powers are greatly increased. During conflicts, the Legion serves as an invading and occupying force, overwhelming opposition with numerical superiority and strict economy of force.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Khajiit has question. If the Thalmor has been in Skyrim without incident for 26 years without dragging anyone off, why are they hated? If Ulfric requested to worship Talos in exchange for Markarth, why was the Jarl hoping they wouldn't find out? He took a risk to save his city, why was it a risk if the Thalmor truly are as chipper as the Colovian implies...

Khajiit is worried. Worried that the Colovian is so willing to claim such things, bordering comradery. Ozan shall continue to support the Stormcloak.

He was hoping the Thalmor wouldn't find out because thousands had just died for that new treaty. If they found out it could lead straight back to war, and they did find out. They demanded the arrest of Ulfric Stormcloak and the Militia or it was back to War.

They are hated because of the Great War is a good example. Would you hate a group that has just invaded your lands, killed many of your friends? You would, everyone hates the Thalmor.

You would be surprised how long cultures hold grudges. Nords have hated elves since the days of Ysgramor, now that is long history. Yet grudges and mistrust still remain, blaming all elves for bad things happening.

The war in Hammerfell is very much different than in Skyrim. Hammerfell fought a weakened Aldmeri Dominion which resulted in a treaty and basically the destruction of the province of Hammerfell, it was devastated.

Civil War in Skyrim, you sack and burn two of your own cities, fight the lowest trained Legionnaires in the Empire, Auxiliaries and having a very hard time doing it. You cause hatred amongst the many Clans of Skyrim, which could start the Clan wars, you bring back a very outdated ritual which allows Jarls to be challenged for their titles, you have isolated yourself, you have made an enemy of the group that feeds your people and the man who is in charge of the country cares more about songs and personal glory.

Difference between Hammerfell and Skyrim, at least Hammerfell knew when to call it quits and form a peace treaty.

If Skyrim and Hammerfell join together? Yeah that would be when Argonians and Dunmer build their own Empire...

The Imperial army is in Cyrodiil, Skyrim can't do anything, even if by some divine miracle allied with Hammerfell. Two provinces who are up plops creek, their armies wasted, resources low, their provinces in ruins. Yes, the Empire is certainly nothing. Cyrodiil is so weak and the Empire is full of milk drinkers, if that is all true... Why does Ulfric fear upsetting Cyrodiil?

"If royal blood was spilt, all of Cyrodiil would be up in arms. We can't afford an all out war with the Empire. So we'll bide our time for now." - Ulfric Stormcloak

No, Skyrim is nothing without the Empire.

Stormcloaks are all talk, going on and on about how the Empire is so weak, how weak the Emperor is, how they are Thalmor puppets. Yet when the Emperor or a member of the royal family is around, they hide behind a rock going "Oh plops, I hope they didn't hear us"

The Empire doesn't care about the Stormcloak rebellion, they're far more concerned with a war with the Aldmeri Dominion. The Empire sends one man, and that one man had Ulfric Stormcloak captured and at the execution block. Go ahead, annoy Cyrodiil. Let them send an entire Legion.

Last time Skyrim tried crap during the War of the Red Diamond, the Empire sacked Solitude. You can either be a part of the Empire willingly or you can be conquered into submission again.

KingNLD

[quote="DrunkenMage, post: 353191, member: 8348
"If royal blood was spilt, all of Cyrodiil would be up in arms. We can't afford an all out war with the Empire. So we'll bide our time for now." - Ulfric Stormcloak

that is just a conversation when you not join him he talks than all day with galmar
besides empire have very weak talk to.

jarls be challenged i never heard that in this game so i don't believe it!
(mabye in the first day skyrim but in this modern skyrim not with what we play)
and the empire is very weak i read so much empire lovers how i call them!
they say all that if you join the stormcloaks the empire should be defeated....
and you and a couple others here they say not! but more say that it be the end for the empire...[/quote]