Thrall Thread : Living with the dead

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Nighthiker77

Can you put as much junk as you want on a thrall? I'm way more of an atromancer but i ran into Sild a few days ago and it was just too much irony to resist so I thralled him and took him home. I was trying to get him to equip some new stuff, wearing my crafting gear, pokes him with the Blade of Woe, and he killed me in about 5 seconds by backing away and casting. I was impressed, so even though I couldn't get him to equip anything, I decided to drag him along for a while.

It was quite an adventure. I was going to get one of the Bard items and stopped in a nearby cave that turned out to have the ghost blade in it. I was also loaded down with loot so I dumped all my heavy stuff on Mjoll. She kept equipping almost everything I gave her, so I gave her all my staves which she also pulled our later, and put all the weapons on Sild. He moved normal speed, I think he died twice, and the third time was my fault for sure because I forgot and cast 2x DLs at the boss witch lady.

Bodies EVERYWHERE, detect dead wasn't as helpful as normal. I got irritated with him, left all the vanilla gear on him, and only took the immersive weapons that I'd found, and left him down there.

He wasn't nearly as useful as a DL in combat, but if they have unlimited carry weight, it might be worth it to drag him out.

Danuvius

I'm pretty sure permanent corpses' inventories don't reset, and Sild is permanent mind you, so I'd say yes -- you can leave whatever you'd wish on his corpse. I always recommend making a hard save if you're going to attempt something you've never done in Skyrim before, just for safety measures. Also, if you have anything that is essential to a quests' progression, but can also be removed from your inventory, then I'd recommend you leave it on his corpse too; in the event that you were to "lose" him you should be able to find him with relative ease.

Adam Warlock

Maybe I'll go back for him and try to put 1000# of dwemer scrap on him. I could just empty out on him every time I get maxed.
There is no limit to the number of items or total weight that a dead thrall can carry.

Be aware that other NPC may loot them during combat if they are inactive or killed again.

Just yesterday , a Bandit Chief who raided Winstad Manor while I was busy at the Fish Hatchery started shooting me with arrows and it HURT LIKE A BITCH !
Turns out he had robbed one of my inactive thralls on the outside deck of a Legendary Ebony Bow and Daedric arrows !
In like manner , my bard at Heljarchen armed herself with a thrall`s bow when the house was attacked.

Nighthiker77

Awesome! So they would be perfect for carrying just about everything except high grade weapons? Have you ever seen an anchor get looted?

In a way I'd like to try this with my character since she's already a master conjurer but it sounds like it could have great benefits early game too.

Danuvius

In a way I'd like to try this with my character since she's already a master conjurer but it sounds like it could have great benefits early game too.
If your anchor is a persistent/permanent weapon then I'd think it would certainly be possible to have it looted by an enemy.

Adam Warlock

If your anchor is a persistent/permanent weapon then I'd think it would certainly be possible to have it looted by an enemy.
Ranged weapons like bows and magic staffs are what is usually taken since most NPC already have a melee weapon of some sort.
Disarmed or unarmed NPC will seek out all kinds of weaponry.

Adam Warlock

Now rolling with a Black-Briar Mercenary from their manor in the Rift.
This blonde female Redguard is 2h and wearing Steel Plate armor with Leather gauntlets and boots.
Every bit as good as her equivalent Bandit Marauder with greatsword and bow , she even has the decap perk !

She has only died twice in 7 tough missions.
Once when she was mobbed by 4 powerful armored foes and the second time fell off Northwind mountain while fighting a Legendary Dragon.

Thralls don`t have to be permanent or over level 30 to be fun !

Danuvius

Thralls don`t have to be permanent or over level 30 to be fun !
It's true, they don't. Some of the most entertaining fights to observe are the ones where you're not sure who will end up winning. I remember prior to Dawnguard I had performed the trespass glitch on a Volkihar to bring it up to a Volkihar master and then proceeded to aggravate the guards/citizens of Solitude into fighting it. On master difficulty the damn thing never even came close to dying, but slaughtered the entire city.

Another good one was thralling a bandit marauder outfitted in full Steel Plate and pitting him against the entire Thieves' Guild. Lots of fun to be had watching that fight. I still get kicks out of watching thralls + followers + NPCs who I casted Frenzy on all fighting in one giant mosh pit. Understone Keep made for great fun.

I think my all time favorite whimsical fight consisted of me casting Frenzy on nearly everyone in Whiterun with the Ebony Warrior present -- that guy systematically demolished everyone. I lured the Companions out of Jorrvaskr and all of them combined could not match the EW. If you ask me, he's easily the most epic NPC you can encounter in the game. Only downside is you have to be level 80+ to meet him. I exit his dialogue when he approaches me so he can remain in the city he spawns in. I wish Dead Thrall scaled with the player, because he'd make for the most entertaining thrall in the game.

Danuvius

Here's an update; the Adventurer I killed in Harmugstahl remains well past the normal despawn/respawn duration while remaining inactive. His inventory DOES reset though -- my anchor remained, but the Ebony Battleaxe I left on his person to test his inventory disappeared and was replaced with a lowly Orcish Warhammer. Don't pity me for the loss -- I have over 70 Ebony weapons stockpiled.

Laelette is anchorable. I don't know whether her corpse is permanent, but I do know that she has remained indefinitely. I moved her and Sild to Windstad Manors' cellar, as Proudspire was becoming full. I also acquired Drahff and Hewnon Black-Skeever -- I know they have permanent corpses from previous playthroughs. I'm positive their inventories don't reset, either.

Other than that, none of my other muses' inventories have reset. They all retain their test items, which is quite nice. Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention that on a whim I collected the deceased Aspiring Mage from where I encountered him. He was already dead and I had already acquired his staff, but you can never have too many corpses. I doubt he'll see any use since he can die quite easily, but he looks nice slouched in the corner of my basement.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I think the Eye of Melka is a permanent item. I sold it very, very early in the game (like level 5) to Belethor and it is still in his inventory (I'm at level 64) so it's been many months. Has anyone mentioned that before?

Nighthiker77

How is the champion of Boethiah? I sacrificed Marcurio, resurrected him (surprised that worked), got the ebony mail, and realized he had 3 pieces equipped, and thralled him. A true shame, I looked him up and it says he is light armor. What a terrible waste for him not to make the most of equipped ebony and an artifact I have no use for myself.

Danuvius

I think the Eye of Melka is a permanent item. I sold it very, very early in the game (like level 5) to Belethor and it is still in his inventory (I'm at level 64) so it's been many months. Has anyone mentioned that before?
Hasn't been mentioned to my knowledge. You can test it for permanency by trying to duplicate it, or alternatively dropping it, selling it to a vendor, waiting 48 hours, and seeing if it is still in their inventory. If it duplicates/resets after being dropped then it's likely persistent and not permanent. I recommend saving before doing either though.

How is the champion of Boethiah? I sacrificed Marcurio, resurrected him (surprised that worked), got the ebony mail, and realized he had 3 pieces equipped, and thralled him. A true shame, I looked him up and it says he is light armor. What a terrible waste for him not to make the most of equipped ebony and an artifact I have no use for myself.
All hirelings with the exception of Teldryn Sero (added by Dragonborn DLC) can be resurrected, as they all cap off at level 40 -- same as Dead Thrall. I've never personally been able to resurrect the Champion of Boethiah, as I was always too high of a level by the time I had Dead Thrall, but I've heard he's an excellent thrall. He has an exceptional armor rating for one too. If you're worried about his gear, then enchant his gauntlets and boots with something substantial, such as fortify heavy armor.

Adam Warlock

Ranking the Hirelings as Dead Thralls.

I didn`t see much point in this before I knew that these NPC could be anchored but here`s my opinion.
All cap at level 40(doesn`t include Teldryn Sero) and all will moan.

List below is subjective and goes from worst to best.

6. Belrand (Spellsword) - not worth the effort. Clearly the weakest of the bunch

5. Vorstag (1h)- His Scaled Horn Armor can`t be tempered and his Heavy Armor skills mismatched with default light equipment

4. Erik(2h) - Higher Health than Vorstag but Light Armor skills mismatched to default Heavy equipment

3. Jenassa(1h/Bow) - High Archery skill , Light Armor skill matches her Leather gear , and she will naturally dual-wield without use of Forsworn weapon or Pick-axe. Lower Health than most

2. Marcurio ( Destruction Mage)- Augmented Shock attacks , 10% Magic Resistance , 120 armor rating with Mage armor in use , and Healing spells.
Suggested you do NOT enchant his boots and take advantage of the 100 extra Health you get from the Dark Souls perk. Marcurio could have been best on list if I didn`t prefer tanks. His Chain Lightning tends to start fights with friendlies.

1. Stenvar(2h) - A BEAST ! Heavy Armor skills match his Steel gear , 100 2h skill at cap , decent Archery and Block skills , High Health/Stamina

As followers , Jenassa is my top choice of all these for a number of reasons but primarily because I like her vocal clips the best.

Adam Warlock

As far as the best of all the rest of Skyrim`s level 40 mages , I would select Orchendor , Illia , and Haldyn.
Best warrior is Legate Rikke (if you side with Stormcloaks)

Adam Warlock

Another clue discovered regarding the possible origins of my permanent Bandit Marauder (1h full set of steel plate).
An area just south of Talking Stone Camp was found to have the permanent bodies(stripped) of a Bandit , a Bandit Highwayman , and a Bandit Thug scattered about in a field.
I was there many real months ago but vaguely remember a random encounter open-plain fight at night involving vampires(disappeared) and some bandits.
Tested these corpses for level with raising spells and they are definitely not the level 1 "found dead" types.
So perhaps I got my Marauder there.
No idea why this particular group is permanent.

Danuvius

So, after deciding to take my note off the Adventurer to see if he was permanent, he disappeared after 30 days. It was an acceptable loss as I've since replaced any use I would've had for him after acquiring Sulla and Umana, both of whom are permanent.

Also, that appears to be a supremely rare random encounter for me Adam. I don't think I've actually ever seen vampires pitted against bandits in the wilderness.

Adam Warlock

So, after deciding to take my note off the Adventurer to see if he was permanent, he disappeared after 30 days. It was an acceptable loss as I've since replaced any use I would've had for him after acquiring Sulla and Umana, both of whom are permanent.

Also, that appears to be a supremely rare random encounter for me Adam. I don't think I've actually ever seen vampires pitted against bandits in the wilderness.
Yes, I think I may have been running away from one group(or a Mammoth from the nearby Giant camp) and lead them into clashing with the others.
Didn`t appear to be scripted but memory of the event is dim.

I have seen instances where vampires spawn near Halted Stream Camp and are drawn into conflict with the bandits there. Once this also included a patrolling group of Soldiers from the nearby fort and a simultaneous Blood Dragon attack !
As Skyrim`s premier battle voyeur , I get a total blast out of watching my enemies kill each other.

Adam Warlock

btw - I`ve found that Umana gets better results with an Enchanted Daedric Shield as opposed to the Targe of the Blooded.
Because of it`s higher base armor rating , the Daedric shield gets 2 points more base Bash damage than the Targe which applies to all foes. This makes up for the loss of any damage to those opponents which bleed.

Tempering and adding Health and/or Magic Resistance enchants to the Daedric shield turns an already formidable warrior into a Steel Plate death machine !

Nighthiker77

I lost the Champion of Boethiah. I didn't want to lose them when I went to Sovnegard so I killed them in Breezehome, killed Alduin, and came right back. Sild was sitting right where I killed him, but the champ was nowhere to be found. I even TCLd to make sure he didn't glitch through the floor or a wall. Then I Player.moveto 834ff and it moved me right to where I killed him.

I had an ebony shield in my inventory and wasn't sure if it was from him, but he equipped it, 4 pieces of ebony armor.... He was doing good, hadn't died once. He didn't seem to use the ebony mail enchantments, the poison cloak anyway.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts