• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

kyleekay

Before discovering this forum, I didn't really have a plan for my character in Skyrim. I kind of started with the mindset of "I'm going to do everything possible regardless of morals, character intent, etc". Games that I've played before were much more black & white, like Fable 3, for instance. You're either good or bad, period. But with Skyrim, there is more gray area, and more options for what you can have your character do.

Since I'm not too terribly far into the game, I figure I can probably start trying to immerse myself into roleplaying now, versus running around doing everything like a friggin' maniac. So as I'm thinking about who my character IS and who I want her to BE, I'm left scratching my head. Preferably, I'd like her to be inherently "good", a dark elf refugee bent on proving her worth, and telling Ulfric that he can shut his damn mouth with his "Nords are the best" propaganda. She's already joined the Imperials, the College of Winterhold, and I haven't done any Dark Brotherhood or Thieves Guild quests, though I did join the Companions (not sure if they lean towards good/evil). Even though I am satisfied with what she has done so far, I'm left wondering if I'm missing out on really cool parts of the game by not doing certain quests or joining certain guilds. I'm also not sure where to go from here to reinforce her personality. Bear in mind this is my first play-through, so I'm just trying to figure this out as I go along.

TL;DR?

• Will I be missing out on anything if I decide to create a roleplaying character with a certain personality/moral compass?
  • What can I do to make the roleplaying experience more enjoyable, and make it feel more "real"/immersive?
  • How do you stick to who your character is, given the variety of options/quests in the game?
  • Do you find that the main quest takes away from your character's personality?
  • How did you get started with roleplaying a certain character?
  • What little things do you do during the game that brings your character to life?

• If you play a "good" character, how do you rationalize killing people?

Basically, I'm kind of a noob when it comes to this, so I just need/want as much help as possible. Playing through with a true RP character seems like a lot of fun, based on what I've read on this site. Plus I eventually want to participate in a RP story on the forum, but I feel like I don't really know enough yet to do it "right".

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
I feel that role playing your characters gives the game a lengthier life than just doing everything with one character. For your first RP character, you could basically inject your personality into them while adding a bit more and taking a few things away. The thing is, is to start simple and then slowly build up as you play instead of going 'all in'. Otherwise you may try to do too much too fast and overdo it and ruin the game for yourself.

What would you character like or dislike in the world of Tamriel? Are they afraid of a certain kind of thing so much that they would run away screaming instead of facing it? Do they get dizzy from the sight of blood or ecstatic? How does the weather influence their mood? Just little things like that to start with. The more you play and try new things in the game the more you can sit down with a piece of paper and go 'Oh, my character would/wouldn't do that', or maybe 'My character would say this over that'. Things like that.

kyleekay

Good advice, thanks Uther. I might have to spend some time over the next few days pondering those questions to get a better feel for Miss Tally-Wa. I took her name from the main character of one of my favorite dystopian fiction novels, so maybe I'll use some pieces of that character's personality as well.

When RPing, do you find that sometimes you have to walk away from a quest line once you discover it, despite the possible rewards it may yield? Is it helpful to visualize/create a story from childhood? Does perceived character age matter?

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
It depends on how seriously you want to role play said character. Some people only RP a bit to add to the fun. Others like to sort of assume and become said character. Personally, when I first start RPing a character, I stick as closely as I can to who they are and then as time and events pass, they slowly change and adapt. Before the end they could possibly be quite different than what they started out as, or they could just end up a extreme version of who they have always been.

So in a way yes, my characters would probably reject or walk away from a juicy rewarding quest if it breaks the character morals and the like unless I decided it was time to shake up who they are by giving them something that would alter who they thought they were.

As far as the other stuff, it is really up to you and how much you want to RP or come up with.

kyleekay

Makes sense. I'll definitely be shying away from the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild then (which works out, 'cause I think I want to marry Mjoll :p) I think I'm going to do some more research on Dunmer history too, to help give me a feel for the basic persona of a Dark Elf.

Moris

Indeed. I never try to "do everything" with one character. You're not limited at all. I have half a dozen that I'm playing right now, depending on my mood.

kyleekay

I might end up creating another character who is the opposite of my current one, just to see what's out there, since this is my first play-through. I always thought having multiple characters might be a bit overwhelming, but I think it'd be worth it at this point. I want to have Tally-Wa stay true to herself (whoever I decide she is over the next few days), but I also want to get a "full" experience. Last night I was thinking it might be fun to play a sneaky Khajiit assassin who ignores the Civil War quest line and joins the Thieves Guild & Dark Brotherhood for good measure. I figure s/he'd be thinking that since their race is so looked down upon, even tho S/HE is allowed in cities, they would still want to off people just for the hell of it (spite). Cliche build from what I've heard, but it'll help me step out of my comfort zone (in any game I play I always like to wield a 1h weapon + heavy armor + spells; with the Khajiit, I could focus more on Archery + light armor and maybe move away from magic). For that build, I may even do a Nord or something, just to be ironic. :p

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
This is just me, but I have yet to make a character that has belonged to more than one guild/faction at a time. The only exception was when I played Morrowind. But that was back when they were more than just a story. :p

kyleekay

Hmm, fair point. I have been regretting joining the Companions with Tally-Wa; I'm considering figuring out a way to cure her, and then just ignoring the quest line, since I don't want much from them anyway (rationalize it as being a Companions deserter, and not going to them for training. This would just be hard 'cause I <3 Whiterun and would hate to piss off anyone who resides there).

As for the idea build I just posted, I think I leaned towards Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild since they seem to go hand in hand. Possibly Thieves Guild first, and then as the character realizes his/her inherent evil, joining the DB. What's your personal reasons for not joining more than 1 at a time?

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
My biggest grip is because they are not really guilds or factions. But side quests/stories. You don't really have to work your way to the top. A two-handed wielding barbarian could become Archmage, etc. So that is probably the biggest reason right now.

TheLonelyWolve

My precious
You know, instead of keepinng away from the Darkbrother hood, you can just kill them.
There is absolutely no way to keep clear of the thieves guild other than running away from the guy who walks towards you(only go to riften when you need to) . The race of your character isnt looked down upon, only by some nords and the stormcloaks, think of how sadistic it is towards khajiits, they aint even allowed in the cities.

Yes you may need two characters to get a feel of both evil/good/neutral.

Personally I cant stand having two characters. But I stick to one Character build anyway. and one race.

AS88

Staff member
As far as multiple characters go, you just have to look at my sig to see what I think on the matter :p

Thing is, Skyrim is such a vast game, all of them have totally separate personalities, histories, ideas and goals, and all play very differently. I've played all of them in some form or another, but I'm waiting until I finally have a PC capable of running Skyrim properly with mods before really committing to immersion, rather than failing on PS3. Full basic needs, camping and weather mods will all be included, though.

I agree totally with Uther Pundragon and Moris.

ps, a Nord assassin isn't a bad idea, after all they would blend into the crowd perfectly - think Dark Brotherhood armour hidden under plain clothes ;)

TheLonelyWolve

My precious
I have problems with having quests I dont want in my quest log, for example, the last Dark brotherhood quest which is permanently stuck. So I kill them instead a very good idea if you want to join the imperial legion.

you know, you can get rid of lycanthrope after the companions questline.

Stigweard Ruadhan

Jeg er stolt. Jeg er sterk.
I'll always try to have various characters with various backstories taking various paths.

Some will be heroes, some villains, some reclusive, some famous, some magical, some hulking...

It just depends the RP you want to be. It really adds depth and richness (not to mention additional longevity) to a game you really never want to end anyway!

It's definitely the way forward!

TheLonelyWolve

My precious
I'll always try to have various characters with various backstories taking various paths.

Some will be heroes, some villains, some reclusive, some famous, some magical, some hulking...

It just depends the RP you want to be. It really adds depth and richness (not to mention additional longevity) to a game you really want to end anyway!

It's definitely the way forward!

I definetly agree with you, the way I even my character, I make him neutral. I join the thieves guild, mage college and legion, while killing the DBH, so Im not completely evil, but I never kill the poor unless I have to.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
I got a bit crazy with my immersion mods. Hypothermia, hunger, thirst, sleep, realistic carrying, alcohol effects, camping, etc, etc, etc. I even have a dead is dead rule. :p The way I play is challenging yet fun for me. Some people could not stand it. :D

AS88

Staff member
I got a bit crazy with my immersion mods. Hypothermia, hunger, thirst, sleep, realistic carrying, alcohol effects, camping, etc, etc, etc. I even have a dead is dead rule. :p The way I play is challenging yet fun for me. Some people could not stand it. :D

I plan on having all of those mods, some time in the early 2100s the way I save money..

TheLonelyWolve

My precious

Now that would be cool, I find it sad that skooma does nothing to you in skyrim, only sleeping tree sap blurs your vision and the screen goes purple.

My character is also skooma addict :confused:

I just cant wait till they release Dragonborn DLC this month on ps3

I always find that it helps to write a little back story for your character and maybe make note of some personality traits, what drives them etc. Back story as complex or simple as you like, I normally write it up to the point where they end up captured. :)