• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Stigweard Ruadhan

Jeg er stolt. Jeg er sterk.
I don't think I could ever just PLAY this game...

I have to experience it; live it; immerse myself in it.

It just depends which "me" happens to be doing all that.

kyleekay

Ah, see, this is why I'm so glad I stumbled upon this forum (if you can it stumbling- it's pretty high up on the Google search list whenever I type in questions :p). I love getting polite advice from a variety of play-styles. I'll be taking all of this into account for my current and future builds, and I think I do like the idea of writing some kind of backstory.

I didn't know you could kill the Dark Brotherhood. Is there some point during the quest line where you can turn on them, or do you just stroll over to them guns blazin' and destroy them? That might be a good idea for miss Tally-Wa (though, killing just to kill even if they are "evil" might be hard to rationalize, hmmm).

Irish

Thane of Solitude
I'm so happy you posted a thread on this topic, kyleekay! I am having the same dilemma regarding RP because my first playthrough consisted of doing too much (joining nearly every guild/faction), which left me rather unfulfilled. I've yet to really submerge myself into a character, but I'm in the process of building one that I can truly relate to, so I appreciate the great info and advice. Thanks, everyone! :)

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Not everyone enjoys the same depth of rping as others, so it is always nice to read how various people do it themselves. Personally, I may go too far into immersion and playing as my character. :p

Shyrith

Ebonhawk
I go pretty realistic. I even have my characters carry linen and 2 buckets for when they are in a ruin, or otherwise not in a city. :oops:

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
I go pretty realistic. I even have my characters carry linen and 2 buckets for when they are in a ruin, or otherwise not in a city. :oops:

Hahaha. This. This is made of win. I play pretty realistic but even I didn't think about doing this. *Writes it down*. :p

Rafter75

Hmm, fair point. I have been regretting joining the Companions with Tally-Wa; I'm considering figuring out a way to cure her, and then just ignoring the quest line, since I don't want much from them anyway (rationalize it as being a Companions deserter, and not going to them for training. This would just be hard 'cause I <3 Whiterun and would hate to piss off anyone who resides there).

As for the idea build I just posted, I think I leaned towards Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild since they seem to go hand in hand. Possibly Thieves Guild first, and then as the character realizes his/her inherent evil, joining the DB. What's your personal reasons for not joining more than 1 at a time?

A good thing to remember is that you can always develope into your character. At this point my main character is a 71 mage assassin. When he first came to Skyrim, he was a dark elf merchant hoping to establish a new trade relationship with the Jarl in White run . After escaping Helgen he joined the companions to establish influence in white run. When he realized the Jarls and the empire considered him a lesser being and refused to recognize his business proposals he gave in more and more to his evil nature. Experimenting with Necromancy and joining the dark brotherhood as a means of acquiring "subjects" for his experimentation. Soon trade with white run didn't matter, so he returned to the companions and slaughtered them all to see how lycanthropy effected necromantic magic. Now only whispers fill their great hall. He worked his way to the top of the mages college so he could obtain the magical secrets of skyrim and sought the skill of shadows and the wealth of Riften with the thieves guild. With the wealth of Riften, the knowledge of the college and an endless supply of subjects for his experimentations he was able to learn that only death provides eternal life, he sought to find eternal life in the blood of his victims. Now as a Vampire Lord and master of shadow and death he seeks to spread his brand of eternal life throughout skyrim and prepares for the day his army will march on all of Tamriel.

All because he wanted to trade with white run.

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
My first playthroughs on any of the Elder Scrolls games have been the do-everything type. This was so I could get used to the playstyle, leveling systems, see what each guild is about, discover what kind of fighting I like to do, that sort of thing. I'm also a completionist achievement whore, so I gotta do everything and see everything, and a lot of times it's just easier for me to do it with one character.

My first roleplay character ever was Annalysa - and she entirely avoids quests altogether cause she's a drunken drug-addicted wimp, although you would be amazed what kinds of shenanigans you get yourself into when your sole purpose is to get a bunch of money to buy a house and you're running all over Skyrim looking for skooma. I haven't played her in a while though...I should get back to that...

In reality though, your RP is limited only by your imagination. Many people come up with backstories for their character that far precede the opening credits. And never hesitate to just create a new character. I have a total of 5 now between the Xbox and the PC, and I just play whoever suits me at that point in time.

FlickerWick

El. Psy. Congroo.
Roleplaying is the way to go! It's the only way I can play. I've logged over 5-700 hours in the game and each character has eaten, drank, slept and so forth. I've never fast travelled by I make exceptions when it comes to carriages. For the most part, I also tend to only play DiD, master difficulty characters as I find the added challenge/risk extremely compelling. A dungeon should be a dangerous place, right? :p

Here are the different characters from my load screen, for the sake of reference. There are a lot more but I tend to only keep the character's save file if he/she lasts for a decent amount of time. All of those listed have died and, as such, are retired;

*Nalimir - Wood Elf - Alchemist - Level 30 (~80k/100k, so close to that achievement :sadface:)
*Azog gro-Largakh - Orc - Treasure Hunter - Level 9
*Leo Ignatius - Imperial - Dragonborn - Level 51
*Darius Motta - Imperial - Beggar - Level 10
*Picks-Many-Pockets - Argonian - Beggar/Thief - Level 27
*Magni the Fierce - Nord - Companion Leader - Level 22
*Arnbjorn Bark-Splitter - Nord - Carpenter - Level 23
*Jonah Aric - Breton - Vampire Hunter - Level 17
*Aeolus Pirlo - Imperial - Hunter - Levels 8-25 (I've replayed this one roughly 9 times, hunting is stupidly fun)
*Dar'shinji - Khajiit - Assassin - Level 43
*Svala River-Wind - Nord - Bounty Hunter - Level 24
*Dante Brette - Breton - Mage - Level 19
*Alphonse Aerrick - Breton - Merchant - Level 22
*Robin - Wood Elf - Thieve's Guild leader - Level 24
*Emrys - Imperial - Dragonborn - Level 28 (first character)

Oddly enough, I've never played an Altmer. Currently working on a necromancer though...

Skyrim is an amazing game and by rushing through it, doing everything on one character, you're missing all the best bits. Instead of travelling, take a walk through the wilderness - who knows what you might find?

FlickerWick

El. Psy. Congroo.
I forgot to list one of my favourite characters! He was an Argonian mage who was only known as The Shoemaker. He was a travelling chef in by day, residing in the spare room at Inns. At night, he had a more sinister alter ego...

After being walked all over and threatened to be turned into a pair of boots one too many times, he decided to take action. Every night he'd sneak out and cast soul trap on somebody who'd insulted him before killing them. He'd then skin them before taking their skin (sheets of leather, I'd place them on bodies before taking them back) and that person's soul gem to the forge. Here, he'd turn them into a pair of leather/skin boots and rename them (with enchanting/the soul gem) to whatever the killed NPC's name was. After turning his victims into boots, he'd wear them and jump around like a maniac, run about in the Sky Forge, jump on to spikes -generally damage his feet and, subsequently, make his aggressors wish they'd never commented on his suitability for footwear.

Wearing Nazeem in the Sky Forge was a particularly enjoyable highlight.

Janus3003

Skyrim Marriage Counselor
One thing to keep in mind is that there can be differences between what happens in the game and what you say your character does, especially since this is a computer game with finite choices as opposed to, say, a tabletop RPG.
For instance, destroying the Dark Brotherhood still requires you to kill an old lady right at the beginning. Despite the game designers going out of their way to make this lady extremely unlikable, I'm still uncomfortable with my character Julius walking up and killing her in cold blood. So while I may have killed her in the game, in my own little story/"head canon," Julius didn't actually do it. I haven't decided what exactly happened, other than that Julius maintains it was a "huge misunderstanding" and then he promptly changes the subject.

Saozig

Hippy
With my first character, I pretty much played the game, didn't do a lot of RPing with her. This game has quite a learning curve, so I was just basically trying to figure out what the game was about and I naturally made tons of newb mistakes (some of them quite funny, looking back on them now). Like the saying goes, "make mistakes fast, and get them out of your way." That was my 1st character in a nutshell. She was kind of a blank slant backstory-wise, she dabbled in everything, she had no actual moral compass (she was an Imperial, after-all :p) , and I learned a lot with her about the game that helped me shape my later characters.

I don't think a new-ish player should be comparing her or himself to people who are on their 4th, 9th, 18th or so character. Don't expect to be able to experience everything and do everything in the game with your first character. Just try to enjoy the game, don't be afraid to make mistakes and learn whatever you can--from there you can build your immersion expreince.

Stigweard Ruadhan

Jeg er stolt. Jeg er sterk.
Absolutely agree with Saozig! There are people in these forums that are immensely experienced at RPing and have multiple builds. I feel I am only scratching the surface and have had 4 builds thus far - playing through with one and scrapping the other three at various points as I didn't like their "journey" sufficiently.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Well, if I can muster up the care to play Skyrim, almost none of my characters even do combat or magic. Most of my latter characters have been farmers or miners or merchants and the like. Of course since I usually have mods installed that increase the challenge by a lot, and I play dead is dead, most don't survive for very long. :p

Irish

Thane of Solitude
After spending hours building my character, I took the plunge and began my journey in the world of RPing this morning. It's harder than I thought, but I take solace in knowing that it's a "learn as you go" experience. My Nord, Cecilja, has already committed acts that are completely out of character for her, such as attacking and killing a well-to-do couple on their way to Vittoria Vici's wedding. Oops! Ah well, it'll be fun to come up with an explanation as to why she did that and how she felt afterwards. I'm quite optimistic about what I will learn from her and this experience!

kyleekay

One thing to keep in mind is that there can be differences between what happens in the game and what you say your character does, especially since this is a computer game with finite choices as opposed to, say, a tabletop RPG.

AH, this actually helps me out a LOT. I have a feeling I'll be doing some random stuff and then rationalizing it later on quite often.

I don't think a new-ish player should be comparing her or himself to people who are on their 4th, 9th, 18th or so character. Don't expect to be able to experience everything and do everything in the game with your first character. Just try to enjoy the game, don't be afraid to make mistakes and learn whatever you can--from there you can build your immersion expreince.

Also a good point... I might keep Tally-Wa to kind of dip my toes in how RPing works (and to learn the game) and create a side-character (like the Khajiit build I mentioned earlier in the thread) to play as I start to get more comfortable with how RP works.

After spending hours building my character, I took the plunge and began my journey in the world of RPing this morning. It's harder than I thought, but I take solace in knowing that it's a "learn as you go" experience. My Nord, Cecilja, has already committed acts that are completely out of character for her, such as attacking and killing a well-to-do couple on their way to Vittoria Vici's wedding. Oops! Ah well, it'll be fun to come up with an explanation as to why she did that and how she felt afterwards. I'm quite optimistic about what I will learn from her and this experience!

Keep me posted on how this goes! I have a feeling it'll be hard to resist doing the random stuff (like killing the couple) while RPing. :p

Will I be missing out on anything if I decide to create a roleplaying character with a certain personality/moral compass?
There's so much content, you're almost guarenteed to miss something. I'd do at least two saves, 1 good, and the other evil to cover both of those extremes. The former can do all the Crusades, like the main quest, while the latter can do the darker deeper ones like the Thieves' Guild, and Dark Brotherhood. Also, there's a civil war on, so you'd have to take each side to see it all.
What can I do to make the roleplaying experience more enjoyable, and make it feel more "real"/immersive?
First, I work out a personality, try t figure the mindset, motivation, and so forth before I start playing. Do some research into the respective Races, that the only game affecting choice you have to make at the beginning. Then, I avoid any, and all distractions whenever possible. What distracts you will vary, but for me, it's pushing, and popping in, and out of the menus, and any glaring exploits that remove the challenge entirely. I also get real bored with crafting quickly, so i generally avoid it.
How do you stick to who your character is, given the variety of options/quests in the game?
If I have to, I stop, and give myself time to really consider who my characters are, what they want, and how they go about achieving them. Whenever I'm given a choice, the more self serving ones will go for the one with the most potential profit(With the information they know about, no fair looking ahead.)
Do you find that the main quest takes away from your character's personality?
No, I'm not even sure what you mean by that. Sometimes I skip it to sandlot, because they character isn't interested in fighting Dragons. others, they don't run the whole thing because they lose interest, or it strays away from what they're comfortable with. For instance, I had a Nord who was against Magic, and Magic Users. As soon as she found out that Esbern was a Conjurer, she left him, (At the Sleeping Giant) and had nothing more to do with him.
How did you get started with roleplaying a certain character?
I have lots of characters, I started most of them to try something new, or experience Skyrim from a different PoV.
What little things do you do during the game that brings your character to life?
Depends on the character, but all of them try to look like the kind of person they are, even pose for Save Shots (Really helps when scrolling through the load menu) and guite a few have signature combos/MOs. This is a very combat oriented game, so quite a few also have Attack-on-sight sworn enemies.
If you play a "good" character, how do you rationalize killing people?
This is a bit of a Black&Gray morality game, there's very little true good out there, the best I've seen is Neutral. However, quite a few factions consider themselves "Good Guys" and rationalize killing as ridding the world of some evil. Barring that, the vast majority of NPCs will attack you on sight, so you can always fall back on Slef Defense/Survival. It's a violent world, so pacifists stay in town, or die.
Basically, I'm kind of a noob when it comes to this, so I just need/want as much help as possible. Playing through with a true RP character seems like a lot of fun, based on what I've read on this site. Plus I eventually want to participate in a RP story on the forum, but I feel like I don't really know enough yet to do it "right".
There's no right, or wrong way to role play. It's purely for fun, and entertainment. If you're enjoying yourself in the game, you're doing it right. There's actually relatively little even bragging rights to be gained from playing by the "rules." (And don't let anyone tell you different.)