will the ps3 ever get dawnguard or other dlc?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Tom

Article Writer
hey guys,

i have been out of the "loop" for a little while, and was wondering what the situation is with dawnguard on the ps3? i hear that we might not be getting it? any one able to shed some light?

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
I highly doubt PS3 will ever get it.

If they do, it'll be another few months.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
the bastards

With the way it's working on PS3 for them, people would rather wait. They're trying to get it perfect so it doesn't fluff your game up when you download it.

Sean

lost somewhere
yeah or maybe microsoft have paid them out

Really?

That is completely ignorant.

Learn of Sony's architecture before making baseless accusations.

In the first months of Skyrim's launch on the PS3, the game was laggy, and had extremely poor framerate. Even now, with saves that surpass 8mb the game will lag.

Dawnguard suffers from similar problems and must be recoded to fit with PS3's architecture, but now there is the problem of Skyrim not accepting this recoded Dawnguard because of the way Skyrim is coded. This problem will continue to the other DLCs until Bethesda finds a balance.

The PS3 has a divided RAM pool (256mb to GPU and 256mb to CPU) which works extremely well for 1st party games. The Xbox 360 has a shared pool of RAM (512mb shared between CPU and GPU), and that allows games to access what it needs and when it needs it.

It is getting really annoying seeing these "Boycott Bethesda because they won't take our money for DLC!" comments/replies/topics because they don't make any sense.
Bethesda Softworks is a business owned by Zenimax Media (they own many companies including id Software). With both companies being for-profit businesses, it makes NO sense of why they would cut off an easy revenue source on purpose.

----------------
Honestly, I think that PS3 won't get and DLC until a GOTY edition.

Tom

Article Writer
go learn some basic business principles mate.

of course it is possible Microsoft would pay them to not release it on PS3, im to tired to write them all down i have an important life outside of playing games.

if Bethesda got a huge chunck of cash from Sony, i bet Dawnguard would be out in a flash.

Sean

lost somewhere

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
go learn some basic business principles mate.

of course it is possible Microsoft would pay them to not release it on PS3, im to tired to write them all down i have an important life outside of playing games.

if Bethesda got a huge chunck of cash from Sony, i bet Dawnguard would be out in a flash.

Fail logic is fail. Doesn't matter how much money Microsoft could throw at Bethesda, Bethesda would not want to lose the money and sales from not having the DLC available on the PS3.

Tom

Article Writer
you don't know what contracts have been signed or put in place, with future games being released by Bethesda you don't know what deals Microsoft have struck with them.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Really?

That is completely ignorant.

Learn of Sony's architecture before making baseless accusations.

In the first months of Skyrim's launch on the PS3, the game was laggy, and had extremely poor framerate. Even now, with saves that surpass 8mb the game will lag.

Dawnguard suffers from similar problems and must be recoded to fit with PS3's architecture, but now there is the problem of Skyrim not accepting this recoded Dawnguard because of the way Skyrim is coded. This problem will continue to the other DLCs until Bethesda finds a balance.

The PS3 has a divided RAM pool (256mb to GPU and 256mb to CPU) which works extremely well for 1st party games. The Xbox 360 has a shared pool of RAM (512mb shared between CPU and GPU), and that allows games to access what it needs and when it needs it.

It is getting really annoying seeing these "Boycott Bethesda because they won't take our money for DLC!" comments/replies/topics because they don't make any sense.
Bethesda Softworks is a business owned by Zenimax Media (they own many companies including id Software). With both companies being for-profit businesses, it makes NO sense of why they would cut off an easy revenue source on purpose.

----------------
Honestly, I think that PS3 won't get and DLC until a GOTY edition.

This. A thousand times this.

It's not Bethesda's fault, nor are they not releasing it for PS3 because Microsoft says so.

You have to remember that even the base game barely worked.

Tom

Article Writer
i don't disagree with that at all, i understand it completely but at the same time large companies will pay a lot to compete with other companies, the world of business is not friendly its dog eat dog and Microsoft know this i guess, why else would they of paid lots of money to get the earlier release date than any other platform, it keeps there current customers happy and draws new ones in (i know people who actually brought
a Xbox purely for Dawnguard and other exclusive games).

personally i do feel that Bethesda has let PS3 owners down, by not offering the same experience across all platforms and not offering the same DLC. i understand it is hard to code for PS3 as other games have had this issue.

"Skyrim may have taken Bethesda years to make but it looks like Dawnguard and possibly more upcoming DLCs are rushed. For those who have played Dawnguard on Xbox, you will know that its very slow, buggy, and basically as bad as PS3 Skyrim. However it got released as Microsoft is paying Bethesda thousands for exclusivity. But if Bethesda really wanted to create quality, non-buggy DLC for PS3 and Xbox, it wouldn't be released now. "

Tom

Article Writer
i do not want to argue or piss anyone off, but you gotta understand my frustration.

i am tired, cold and have had a long day and i come back to find all this out has pissed me off more than it usually would.

Sean

lost somewhere
i do not want to argue or piss anyone off, but you gotta understand my frustration.

i am tired, cold and have had a long day and i come back to find all this out has pissed me off more than it usually would.

I understand that being upset only makes a person turn to the worst idea of a situation, but think about it objectively. It doesn't make sense for a company to purposely try to kill of their fanbase/community/revenue just because one other company tells them to. Sony is working with Bethesda to fix the problem, and it isn't just this DLC that has had the problem, but the game itself, in the beginning, was plagued by many issues on the PS3.

Here's an article where a New Vegas dev explains the problems of the PS3.
The original source was from Sawyer's blog, and is now replaced by his newer posts so it no longer exists.
He set up this q/a in response to Skyrim's PS3 problems.

Tom

Article Writer
fair enough.

at least we still got the best game series ever on ps3, even though some games are riddled with glitches i would not change it for the world. each to there own i guess.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
1+ for dealing with this civilly eventually. While I do agree that the whole situation with PS3 sucks, you have to understand that Bethesda is trying their best.

Tom

Article Writer
im not one for arguing over the internet, it achieves nothing and wastes all our time. im an open minded guy, when i am proven wrong i put my hands up, no shame in that.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts