why you hate lydia and who youd rather have following

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Fellinio

on my warrior character i take aela. i made her a full suit of daedrica armor so i chose aela. the only thing is evertime i try to give her the daedric bow i made. she still uses her default bow.

If you remove the bow she has when you get her as a follower she will have to use the deadric one you give her. Its the same with arrows, just give her 1 of the arrows you want her to use and remove any others she has. This is pretty good for improving the number of daedric arrows you have as you can pick them up when the target is dead.

XJaeX

Ghost
Lydia is the level you first meet her at, i think you can fix this to make her level to your level with the wabbajack if she turns into a rabbit. Or with the pc, disable her , then enable her. She is really strong, but you have to give her better stuff. Shes not very sneaky, for that she sucks pretty hard, but give her a good sword and shield she is awesome. Aela is only killable after you progress so far in the companions questline, so if you want her to be invincible you cant finish the questline, you can marry her as soon as she becomes an option, she will still be invincible until you progress the questline. Put her in light armor and she will be your best sneak follower. My favorite follower is Mjoll, she is invincible, no matter what, give her a 2 handed and heavy armor she will wreck everyone, or give her a shield and she will use grimsever ( super OP ) , again put her heavy armor. Another great follower is the mercenary in riften, for a mage character he is awesome, two mages will dominate anyone, if your a tank, he is really helpful, for a sneaky character he is still alright because he wears clothes. Its definetely Mjoll all the way though, once you kill her creepy friend, i have married her on most of my playthroughs, other than the times i made sneaky classes and i married Aela. Just keep in mind that they are the level of when you first saw them and their max level is 50, i believe for all followers, save first, then use the wabbajack.
A little side note, fight Lydia, level up your stuff a bit, dont die, dont kill her, run away, she will respawn at either your house or dragonsreach, she will no longer be hostile, you can also use calm and teleport out.

XJaeX

Ghost
Alright, here:
Sneaky character- Aela, Faendal, Cicero, DB initiates, Jenassa
Warrior character- Lydia, Vilkas, Farkas, MJOLL, most of the followers are warriors, so have your pick.
Mage character- another mage-> mercurio (SP) mercenary in riften, any warrior to tank.

The best followers i have come across are:
Sneak - Aela, Cicero ( Aela doesnt talk on and on and on )
Warrior - Mjoll hands down, she is invincible, she is more than happy to accompany you, she can be married and give you gold, still invincible, plus, that accent :)
Mage - Mercurio, hes another mage, theres also alot of mage followers at the college of winterhold. any tank

I have seen a video on youtube where this guy had, Jenassa as his follower, he glitched out cicero and both DB initiates to follow him, and he had aela as a quest giver follower. That sounds like the ultimate sneaking package, 6 sneaking characters in total, once you start attacking, everyone is dead within seconds, killed by shadows. It would be amazing.

Epsilon

Shaun
just a simple question i meant to ask earlier, who would be the best follower for my paladin based character? i was thinking a mage but id like to get someones elses input? and also if it is a mage where do i find him? or if its someone else please tell me where to find them. Thanks in advance :)

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
just a simple question i meant to ask earlier, who would be the best follower for my paladin based character? i was thinking a mage but id like to get someones elses input? and also if it is a mage where do i find him? or if its someone else please tell me where to find them. Thanks in advance :)

I'm not quite sure what your definition of a "Paladin" is... I'm guessing like a Knight of some sort? Heavy armored, 1H, Shield? The Paladin name throws me off as I associate a Paladin with a Cleric/Holy type character. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as Mage followers, you can pick up Marcurio in Riften's Bee & Barb (500 gold) or Belrand in Solitude's Winking Skeever (500 gold). Marcurio is a Mage, Belrand is a Spellsword. Both are good, but both are also mercenaries.

As far as freebie Mage followers, if you complete Saarthal quest at the College of Winterhold, you can then do some small quests for your fellow Students. After completing their quests, they will all be available for use as a Follower.

Edit: Getting back ON-TOPIC, while I don't hate Lydia by any means, I just find her boring. No interesting insight into locations, vanilla playstyle (unless you force her to dual wield staves). I enjoy chatty followers (with the exception of Cicero).

Epsilon

Shaun
I'm not quite sure what your definition of a "Paladin" is... I'm guessing like a Knight of some sort? Heavy armored, 1H, Shield? The Paladin name throws me off as I associate a Paladin with a Cleric/Holy type character. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as Mage followers, you can pick up Marcurio in Riften's Bee & Barb (500 gold) or Belrand in Solitude's Winking Skeever (500 gold). Marcurio is a Mage, Belrand is a Spellsword. Both are good, but both are also mercenaries.

As far as freebie Mage followers, if you complete Saarthal quest at the College of Winterhold, you can then do some small quests for your fellow Students. After completing their quests, they will all be available for use as a Follower.

Edit: Getting back ON-TOPIC, while I don't hate Lydia by any means, I just find her boring. No interesting insight into locations, vanilla playstyle (unless you force her to dual wield staves).

Sorry shoulda explained my pally first lol. 1h weapon with shield and heavy armor, restro for heals and some alteration for buffs are my main focues along with a summon spell for atronachs and familiar but no perks in conjuration just have them for out numbered situations.

Satorus

For followers on my first playthrough i had Lydia with me.Lydia seemed ok until she sighed every time I asked her to carry something. Lydia met her end while doing the quest for the redgaurd woman in Whiterun. After she passed on I traveled to Riverwood and met Sven. I helped Sven defame Faendal and then took Sven as my follower.

Sven lasted with me from level 16 to level 41. I never expected him to do good but he was always there with me kicking ass and taking names. I was full blacksmith so i made him a set of Legendary Daedric plate when i had that available.

Sven met his end when i was doing some Imperial quests to clear out a Stormcloak fort. I was going around all the battlements killing Stormcloak archers. When i got the quest complete i saved and then logged on my other character. when I went back to this game I found Sven dead in the middle of the fort with about 4 Stormcloak bodies around him. I had lost all of the autosaves because I had switched characters, so there wasnt anything I could do for him.

I stayed alone for a bit until I had bought my house in Solitude. I now use Jandra the sword-maiden. I was level 42 when i first met her, so i can only assume that is the current level she is as well. So far I have not seen her go down. I've let her solo giants, dragons, pretty much anything and she has stood her ground.
I am pleased with her so far.

whiskey

I don't use a follower, they just get in my way and I can handle my battles myself. Lydia just sits in my house but why she doesn't pick up the paper scroll outside my door is beyond me.

swanqueen

Lydia was never a problem for me but I just don't like her snarky attitude and the fact she sits in my bedroom. I was married to Vilkas when I was a Redguard. He was good but so UGLY. Very sweet to me though. I really like Erandur.. was with him with a Dark Elf character. His conversations are good and his magic came in very handy. But you can't marry him. I hung out with Mercurio for a while with a male nord I played briefly and when I created my new and most favorite female Breton I decided to marry Mercurio. I'm falling deeply in love with him. I like his conversations too and he's very sweet to me. Only draw back is that he has a bit of a snark when you want to trade things with him. His magic is so good he often kills things before I even know they're there.. which can be bad if I'm trying to capture souls.

Dogs.. love em but how do you keep them from always going "home" wherever that is. I got tired of going back to the shack to get the dog. They don't seem to recognize your home as their home. Is there a trick I'm missing?

Oh I forgot, if you marry Vilkas or any other trainer you can get trained for free. You have to pay them but then you go into their inventory and get your money back. I'm not sure if this works if they are just a follower.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts