• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
The Stormcloaks maybe racist pigs but if it weren't for Alduin your character would have been dead! I will forever hate the Empire for this no matter what race I am even if I was an Imperial I'd go against my own race for wanting me dead. Especially that bitch who ordered me to the block I wish I can have my revenge and just stab her. Anyone else agree?

Inquisitor Saken

polan can into space?
I side with the empire just because romans are cooler than vikings. xD That and I don't want to betray Balgruuf :v

Tyer032392

I choose the Imperials because even though I agree with the Stormcloak philosophy, I could tell that Olfric was just using that delicate situation to further his own ambition. Furthermore, I personally believe that an Empire that is not divided would stand a better chance against the Aldermi Dominion versus having a split Empire. But, at the end of the day, the true people to blame for your "almost" execution would be those damn elves as Ralof has stated.

Furthermore, sometimes it takes a bigger man to forgive the mistakes of others to have true harmony in his sole. If you live every day filled with hatred for a certain individual, or country; you are no better than them, and therefor you are just like them.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I have to agree with ShannonRutherford on this one. While my race may be Imperial, I loathe my own people. They are weak, cowardly, sadistic and confused. Their taunts, stupid inquiries and Thalmor kowtowing is just pathetic. I like the Nords - they may be racist, xenophobic and annoyingly violent sometimes, but they're just cooler. And let me tell ya, it ain't easy being an Imperial Stormcloak. They guys never let me forget it. Fortunately I can kick their butts so they at least have a little respect for my abilities.

Cordelia

Global Moderator
Staff member
As a person, I'm not much for causes and institutions such as giving my loyalty to an Empire or a rebellion, but what you're doing is using the radical actions of a few individuals determine your attitude toward the whole. Yes, the Stormcloaks are racist pigs as a generalization, and the Imperials are the weak puppets of the Thalmor as a generalization, but that not only doesn't describe every individual, it only categorizes one aspect of the whole group.

If you're going to let the actions of, really, only two Imperials dictate your attitude toward all of them, why can you not also be influenced by Hadvar's kindness? From the moment he takes the prisoner's name to the moment he helps you in your escape (whether you ultimately choose to follow him out of Helgen or not, there's a moment in the middle when he helps you when he could have just as easily killed you himself) he exhibits kindness. He seems dissatisfied with the decision to kill a non-Stormcloak, but doesn't quite feel right challenging the order; he's put in a tough position, but he steps up when the world explodes into Alduin's chaos. Why don't you judge that for a second?

Both sides have their assholes and their upstanding members. Ultimately, I chose Imperial for my main after a LOT of deliberation and reading in and out of game. I even wrote a blog entry about the complexity of the politics as I understood them at the time, because the decision weighed on me. Bethesda put a lot into the design in this regard. I honestly thought it would be really dried and cut; of course I'd join Stormcloaks! Why would I join any group that practices religious oppression?! But it wasn't that simple. I don't feel Ulfric's true goals are in line with what he uses to whip the masses into a frenzy, and I don't feel the Empire is entirely to blame for the presence of the Thalmor now. I see a great war on the horizon where the Empire strikes back (AAAAAHHHHH I couldn't help it). The Thalmor obviously see themselves as not simply superior, but in complete control right now, but that doesn't mean the Empire has been idle under the Dominion's watch. The Empire never wanted to submit, they just didn't have much choice at the time. However, Ulfric and Skyrim seem never to have forgiven them for that.

What ultimately made my decision for me was overhearing Ulfric discuss sacking Whiterun and killing Balgruuf (the same conversation you hear every time you enter the palace at Windhelm). I like Balgruuf, and I didn't want him to die for little more than having his attempts at maintaining Whiterun as neutral territory perceived as opposition to Ulfric for no greater reason than it wasn't support, and that put him in the way of Ulfric's goals. I don't like that logic; it leads to oppression. From a behavioral standpoint, those who would employ that logic are more likely to become oppressive in their rule when given power to do so. Not a difficult leap from where he is, if you ask me.

I don't feel either side is right, or entirely justified, and while Ulfric's xenophobic "close the borders" ideals would help Skyrim in some ways, casting off the shackles of the Dominion and rebuilding itself into something ever more Nordic than before, I felt the Legion and the Empire were better for the future of Skyrim. My reasoning for this is that closed borders and xenophobic policies have far reaching consequences (see Edo era Japan, and modern North Korea and China). While continuing to stay attached to the Empire has its drawbacks, I think it makes for a stronger, more diverse Skyrim in the future. Nords don't give up easily, and if the Dominion really does obliterate the empire, you can bet Skyrim won't let themselves be taken quietly.

Daelon DuLac

As a person, I'm not much for causes and institutions such as giving my loyalty to an Empire or a rebellion, but what you're doing is using the radical actions of a few individuals determine your attitude toward the whole. Yes, the Stormcloaks are racist pigs as a generalization, and the Imperials are the weak puppets of the Thalmor as a generalization, but that not only doesn't describe every individual, it only categorizes one aspect of the whole group.

If you're going to let the actions of, really, only two Imperials dictate your attitude toward all of them, why can you not also be influenced by Hadvar's kindness? From the moment he takes the prisoner's name to the moment he helps you in your escape (whether you ultimately choose to follow him out of Helgen or not, there's a moment in the middle when he helps you when he could have just as easily killed you himself) he exhibits kindness. He seems dissatisfied with the decision to kill a non-Stormcloak, but doesn't quite feel right challenging the order; he's put in a tough position, but he steps up when the world explodes into Alduin's chaos. Why don't you judge that for a second?

Both sides have their assholes and their upstanding members. Ultimately, I chose Imperial for my main after a LOT of deliberation and reading in and out of game. I even wrote a blog entry about the complexity of the politics as I understood them at the time, because the decision weighed on me. Bethesda put a lot into the design in this regard. I honestly thought it would be really dried and cut; of course I'd join Stormcloaks! Why would I join any group that practices religious oppression?! But it wasn't that simple. I don't feel Ulfric's true goals are in line with what he uses to whip the masses into a frenzy, and I don't feel the Empire is entirely to blame for the presence of the Thalmor now. I see a great war on the horizon where the Empire strikes back (AAAAAHHHHH I couldn't help it). The Thalmor obviously see themselves as not simply superior, but in complete control right now, but that doesn't mean the Empire has been idle under the Dominion's watch. The Empire never wanted to submit, they just didn't have much choice at the time. However, Ulfric and Skyrim seem never to have forgiven them for that.

I love these long lectures of yours. They actually make me think! Wish I was deep, but I just go around selfishly satisfying my own needs and doing quests if the end result is in my favor and I make a profit. I realize I generalize, but, as an Imperial by blood (particularly having been raised in a noble household), I have been taught that deep thinking is for the philosophers.

You are fabu! Thanks for making my brain hurt. That way I know I learned something. I may not pay any attention to it, but at least my eyes are a little more open.

What ultimately made my decision for me was overhearing Ulfric discuss sacking Whiterun and killing Balgruuf (the same conversation you hear every time you enter the palace at Windhelm). I like Balgruuf, and I didn't want him to die for little more than having his attempts at maintaining Whiterun as neutral territory perceived as opposition to Ulfric for no greater reason than it wasn't support, and that put him in the way of Ulfric's goals. I don't like that logic; it leads to oppression. From a behavioral standpoint, those who would employ that logic are more likely to become oppressive in their rule when given power to do so. Not a difficult leap from where he is, if you ask me.

I don't feel either side is right, or entirely justified, and while Ulfric's xenophobic "close the borders" ideals would help Skyrim in some ways, casting off the shackles of the Dominion and rebuilding itself into something ever more Nordic than before, I felt the Legion and the Empire were better for the future of Skyrim. My reasoning for this is that closed borders and xenophobic policies have far reaching consequences (see Edo era Japan, and modern North Korea and China). While continuing to stay attached to the Empire has its drawbacks, I think it makes for a stronger, more diverse Skyrim in the future. Nords don't give up easily, and if the Dominion really does obliterate the empire, you can bet Skyrim won't let themselves be taken quietly.

HenryTheDragon

Imperials? I choose them because unlike Ulfric they say the truth. They can't do nothing about thalmors because they just fought them and lost, they are just waiting the right time to take revenge. The stormcloaks, I fought for them first time I tried this game but like you all guys say they are not only racist, but the same Ulfric uses the Empire exscuses only because he wants to be High King. If you hear some conversations you will even learn he didn't fight before being captured, so much for fight or die fame. Even if they win against the Empire they will not put much fight against the thalmor (they even have a free land to conquer), they will just attack Skyrim right after kicking the Empire.The best thing is making the Empire united with skyrim and let those high elves be the annoying inquisitors for a while.

Shadow King

Grand master of the Order of Talos.
I hate both of them peices of plops the stormcloaks are Ulfrics private army a bunch of puppets to make him high king is there agenda, the empire betrayed there founder and great great god Talos. but I hold no hatred to the imperials for wanting me dead at helgen because I was caught with ulfric there enemy it was unlucky but if I was one of his generals and they released me I could cause a great deal of damage so why take chances chop his head off if ure enemy is seen near someone u would think they were lookouts. Its best not to take chances in war good men will die no matter the outcome. (I do wish to restore the empire as it was my god talos empire, but there needs to be changes)

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
....I loathe my own people. They are weak, cowardly, sadistic and confused.
The Empire and the Legion =/= Imperials.

The Empire is composed of and governed by several races. There have been Nord, Breton, and Dunmer Emperors and the Elder Council is multiracial.
....I like the Nords
Stormcloaks =/= Nords. There's a reason it's called a civil war. The Nords' loyalties are split relatively evenly between the Empire and the Stormcloaks so identifying Nords exclusively or even dominantly with the Stormcloaks is a complete nonstarter.
...they may be racist....
There's a bit of irony in this statement given that you started off your post by racially stereotyping all Imperials. :p

Daelon DuLac

The Empire and the Legion =/= Imperials.

The Empire is composed of and governed by several races. There have been Nord, Breton, and Dunmer Emperors and the Elder Council is multiracial.
Stormcloaks =/= Nords. There's a reason it's called a civil war. The Nords' loyalties are split relatively evenly between the Empire and the Stormcloaks so identifying Nords exclusively or even dominantly with the Stormcloaks is a complete nonstarter.

There's a bit of irony in this statement given that you started off your post by racially stereotyping all Imperials. :p
Hmmm... food for thought. Daelon no likey to think. Just wanna beat on sumpin!

Jaeger

I have to agree with ShannonRutherford on this one. While my race may be Imperial, I loathe my own people. They are weak, cowardly, sadistic and confused. Their taunts, stupid inquiries and Thalmor kowtowing is just pathetic. I like the Nords - they may be racist, xenophobic and annoyingly violent sometimes, but they're just cooler. And let me tell ya, it ain't easy being an Imperial Stormcloak. They guys never let me forget it. Fortunately I can kick their butts so they at least have a little respect for my abilities.

Quit with the racism. Damn near everybody is racist. From Faendal - Riverwood is pretty nice for a nord village. That isn't racist to you? The elven shopkeeper in the drunken huntsman - hello my elven brother. Racism! Why doesn't he say, hello my brother to ALL males.

Go to Solstheim. Fracking rude welcome, right there! And Solstheim was given to the dunmer as a gift and that how they repay?

Jaeger

I hate both of them peices of pl*** the stormcloaks are Ulfrics private army a bunch of puppets to make him high king is there agenda, the empire betrayed there founder and great great god Talos. but I hold no hatred to the imperials for wanting me dead at helgen because I was caught with ulfric there enemy it was unlucky but if I was one of his generals and they released me I could cause a great deal of damage so why take chances chop his head off if ure enemy is seen near someone u would think they were lookouts. Its best not to take chances in war good men will die no matter the outcome. (I do wish to restore the empire as it was my god talos empire, but there needs to be changes)

Ulfric's party was ambushed at Dark Water Crossing; you were caught coming over the border. So, anybody that crosses over the border is fair game to be beheaded. And General Tullius, the supreme commander, was there, so he approved of the captains reasoning.

Shadow King

Grand master of the Order of Talos.
Ulfric's party was ambushed at Dark Water Crossing; you were caught coming over the border. So, anybody that crosses over the border is fair game to be beheaded. And General Tullius, the supreme commander, was there, so he approved of the captains reasoning.

I meant to say I was caught near Ulfric and they probably figured me for a lookout or the destination of stormcloaks.

Mr Forz

I'm helping. Mostly.
Whatever, whoever takes control of Skyrim will eventually ally the rest of the Empire, once the next war with the Thalmor gets started. Tullius expects it, Ulfric prepares himself for it. Just end the civil war.

Kory Stukenborg

Proud Member of the Mercer County Facial Hair Club
The Emperials think too much of themselves. They are like preppy kids inside of a school. They start off at the top, but later they are unsuccessful and don't get anywhere.

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
Stormcloaks are almost naked and with that Skyrim weather, is a sin and suicide being almost naked man. The are not organized at all and do not have good weapons while Ulfrich is eating well in his palace. F... that !

Kory Stukenborg

Proud Member of the Mercer County Facial Hair Club
Actually clothes is the first sin of man. We were meant to be naked from the beginning. Ulfric is a more mellow guy anyway.Tulius is dead anyways, I killed him.

Riften Guard

Bad Thief
Your basically asking me to choose between the men in skirts, and the men in skirts. Imperials win because red is a better color! Plus you don't have to worry about blood stains.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts