• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Do you agree?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I've had to delete several posts in this thread because of personal (and quite juvenile) attacks. If I see any more, the thread will be closed. If you're going to disagree, be mature about it, please. Personal attacks are not welcome.

Hunfar

You know, just something more creative than the basic kill/heal/summon/d!ck around spells you find in other games. Maybe one that allows mind control? Or the ability to turn people into gold coins? Something to mix up the usual spell repertoire of RPGs.
I'm still pretty pissed that ice spells don't freeze water for you to walk across or that lighting doesn't kill everything in the water. Bioshock figured that out in what? 2004?

You know, just something more creative than the basic kill/heal/summon/d!ck around spells you find in other games. Maybe one that allows mind control? Or the ability to turn people into gold coins? Something to mix up the usual spell repertoire of RPGs.

So running around turning people into gold coins isn't a "d!ck around" spell? That spell is already in the game anyway, but it's randomly activated so it's can't be overused.

Well, if you have these ideas, why not send it to Bethesda instead of complaining about it here? Just because you think it would be easy to introduce these elements into the game, doesn't mean that it is.

Because adding a simple thing or two to appeal a few little gripes isn't going to fix an ultimately broken game.

Using an example provided by Egoraptor:

Remember Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest? Well, remember how bad it was? A lot of people complained about how much grinding there was, how hard it was to understand people, the slow text crawling, etc. Well, someone by the name "The Almighty Guru" made a rom-hack of it that did fix almost all of the things people were complaining about.

Unfortunately, as we (or at least I) can see with Skyrim, it doesn't matter how much polish you add or how many extra spells or weapons, because at the heart the core gameplay is the same. We have a huge modding community coming out with a lot of amazing mods, but they still can't really change what Skyrim is.

So running around turning people into gold coins isn't a "d!ck around" spell? That spell is already in the game anyway, but it's randomly activated so it's can't be overused.

I mean to differentiate from the normal ones and not very unique ones like telekenises or magelight.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
From what I remember, Bethesda nerfed the iron dagger exploit.
I just did the math and you'll need to forge approximately 2,385 iron daggers to grind it out to 100 Smithing skill. :confused:

If your Speech skill is 100 without perks then you'll need about 17,000 gold assuming that you are selling your daggers along the way. If your Speech skill is relatively low then you'll need up to about another 8,500 in gold.
Magey McFireball, if you play through this time I think you'll find that the changes to the way Smithing skill levels addresses at least one of your concerns. The thing about regarding the old mechanics to be game breaking is that it's is merely subjective opinion. I didn't like the old mechanics either but other players clearly did as evidenced by the numerous complaints about the change when it was implemented.

I agree that the potential for what the game could have been for veteran hardcore PC gamers has been diluted to broaden it's appeal but at the end of the day Bethesda is a for-profit venture and the market for a customer base like that is very finite. If they want the business to grow they have to make it appeal to a broader consumer base and that's going to bring the old adage about pleasing all of the people all of the time into play. It's a boon that they allow and encourage modding to address the needs of the original customer base.

The other thing you might want to note is that if you had kept leveling you would have found that the combat evens out considerably. You were basically wearing armor that ideally wouldn't have been used until around character level 48 (when it starts appearing in merchant and mob loot tables). If you only relied on your Smithing skill, leveling your combat skills and taking combat related perks to scale your damage higher then the enemies would have eventually scaled up to make combat more challenging, especially on Master difficulty level setting. It actually wouldn't have taken you that long.

24 is a bad level to make assessments about the overall difficulty of combat because you're actually going to be above the level of a lot of the enemies you encounter. I wouldn't be surprised if most your dragon encounters were with Dragons and Blood Dragons which are much easier to handle then Elder and Ancient Dragons. They start scaling upwards significantly after Frost Dragons. While the chances of having such an encounter are rare I was unfortunate enough to encounter an Ancient Dragon while I was only level 35ish or so, and it was a futile exercise to try and fight a Dragon that effectively did 600 melee damage per bite, 200 firebreath damage per second and had over 3,000 Health with 50% damage resistance on Maxiumum difficulty settings. Even running for my life took a significant effort. I had to dive into a lake and swim underwater to the East Empire Warehouse docks and hide in a stall until the Dragon lost interest and flew away.

In addition to tougher Dragons you would have been dealing with more powerful spell casters for which your armor would have afforded zero protection unless it had appropriate enchantments, Draugr Deathlords with shouts that could slam you against walls and disarm you and harder hitting Ebony weapons, packs of Falmer using poisoned weapons that would bypass your armor while hitting you with spells, and packs of Forsworn hitting you from multiple directions with melee damage, archery and magic.

That wont address your other concerns but I'm just putting it out there so you know of at least one aspect of the game that gets better as you level.

Out of curiosity how far along did you get in any of the quest lines?

That still doesn't not make it a dick around spell, which you seem to be against..

No, just against the boring ones.

, if you play through this time I think you'll find that the changes to the way Smithing skill levels addresses at least one of your concerns. The thing about regarding the old mechanics to be game breaking is that it's is merely subjective opinion. I didn't like the old mechanics either but other players clearly did as evidenced by the numerous complaints about the change when it was implemented.

I certainly hope that makes the combat less floaty and boring.

24 is a bad level to make assessments about the overall difficulty of combat because you're actually going to be above the level of a lot of the enemies you encounter. I wouldn't be surprised if most your dragon encounters were with Dragons and Blood Dragons which are much easier to handle then Elder and Ancient Dragons. They start scaling upwards significantly after Frost Dragons. While the chances of having such an encounter are rare I was unfortunate enough to encounter an Ancient Dragon while I was only level 35ish or so, and it was a futile exercise to try and fight a Dragon that effectively did 600 melee damage per bite, 200 firebreath damage per second and had over 3,000 Health with 50% damage resistance on Maxiumum difficulty settings. Even running for my life took a significant effort. I had to dive into a lake and swim underwater to the East Empire Warehouse docks and hide in a stall until the Dragon lost interest and flew away.

I understand 24 might not be the best viewpoint, but I was referring to my PC playthrough. On my console version I got to about 50-60 on a few characters, but still had the same problem. The problems like dodgy GUI and less than stellar visuals were lessened because of the version for fairly self-evident reasons, so the game did shine a bit brighter. Once I started with the PC, the version Bethesda was supposedly giving all its tender loving care, I realized how many flaws there really were. Like I said before, I am not condemning this game to share a jail cell with games like Mindjack and Kane and Lynch 2. This is a pretty solid game, but in my opinion still has quite a way to go to earn all the GOTY awards it's been getting right out of the gate.

In addition to tougher Dragons you would have been dealing with more powerful spell casters for which your armor would have afforded zero protection unless it had appropriate enchantments, Draugr Deathlords with shouts that could slam you against walls and disarm you and harder hitting Ebony weapons, packs of Falmer using poisoned weapons that would bypass your armor while hitting you with spells, and packs of Forsworn hitting you from multiple directions with melee damage, archery and magic.

That wont address your other concerns but I'm just putting it out there so you know of at least one aspect of the game that gets better as you level.

Out of curiosity how far along did you get in any of the quest lines?

I do understand there are some tougher enemies later in the game, but they still don't exactly feel as threatening with a literally infinite magicka pool. Even with tougher enemies, there is no real variety to it. Go into a random cave and fight cave spiders and some drougr for about 10 minutes until you reach the end where you fight a slightly stronger drougr wearing a helmet that shouts at you, and then you leave. Is it just me or is that the formula for most dungeons? From what I can see there are only three types of actual dungeons; caves filled with zombies, caves filled with creepy little gremlins, and caves filled with robots.

And to answer your question, pretty far. Killed Tulius and Ulfric multiple times, become the listener of the DB about twice, etc. I haven't gotten around to some of the more obscure ones like the one with the talking dog, but I have done quite a bit with the more obvious quests.

Don't let me spoil anyone's fun here, xXxSM0K3W33D4LI3F420xXx.png
As I have stated, it all comes down to personal preference, and I am not saying this game is bad, nor am I trolling. Hell, if this game does get more balanced throughout, I will give it a third chance. Like I said in the beginning, I am not looking to prove myself right, I am looking for one of you to prove me wrong.

Dagmar

Is it just me or is that the formula for most dungeons?
I find it's the formula for most games in general. Talk to NPC "A" to get a quest/mission, run through encounter area killing stuff and solve puzzles to get to NPC "B" or Item "C" to complete the mission. Rinse, recycle, repeat.

Wait, you made a profile on this site JUST to tell people the game sucks?

No, made this a while ago for basic discussion of the game, helping people, reading guides, etc.

Honestly, who would do that?

I find it's the formula for most games in general. Talk to NPC "A" to get a quest/mission, run through encounter area killing stuff and solve puzzles to get to NPC "B" or Item "C" to complete the mission. Rinse, recycle, repeat.

I was more referring to: 10-30 of walking through cave, kill the two or three variants of the same enemy throughout, find Sithis's buttplug or something equally as old/valuable/obscure, and just leave.

Dagmar

There are definitely a lot of caves but there are also ruins, burial mounds/crypts/tombs and towers/forts. The mob types are generally limited to one or two types but I think that is because from a roleplaying point of view they don't play nice with another, e.g. the bandits fighting the Dwarven automatons in one of the ruins.

There are definitely a lot of caves but there are also ruins, burial mounds/crypts/tombs and towers/forts. The mob types are generally limited to one or two types but I think that is because from a roleplaying point of view they don't play nice with another, e.g. the bandits fighting the Dwarven automatons in one of the ruins.

Well I am currently in the process of modding it into pieces. Actually a few things like ScenicCarriages do solve quite a few problems.

Harperlarp

I'm still pretty pissed that ice spells don't freeze water for you to walk across or that lighting doesn't kill everything in the water.

I admit, that would be awesome.

Mind control? Like calming people or whipping them into a frenzy? Or do you want people to go and do things for you? There's followers for that. And turning people into gold coins? I can't imagine how mental you'd go on the forums regarding such a game breaking feature.

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
Can't you use the Transmute spell to turn iron ore/ingots into gold? I might be wrong on the exact function of this spell, as I've never used it.

Hunfar

I agree with some of your points but spells should also be useful not just for effect. Since adding any spell would be a rip-off of something i'd look to LOTR, perhaps a staff that shines a bright light and blinds your enemies or one that heats your enemies weapons forcing them to drop it, or bending trees to fall on enemies. Yes, these are combat spells but almost anything not aimed toward combat (that's not already in the game) will probably either be a cheap effect (boring after a few uses) or hard to implement.

Harperlarp

So long story short you want a game that has so many new and improver features it can no longer be accurately called an RPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts