• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Do you agree?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats why you give us everything, and everybody is happy. If the more casual doesnt want to use this or that, he doesnt have to. The things that were cut were far from extras. How can I be happy (or happy about) with what I have, when I go to play X build and it's not even viable, and I have to go back to previous games?
Can you give me few examples of playstyles made impossible by the horribly soul crushing evil that is so obviously Skyrim?

ShadowMage

Article Writer

Xarnac

Can you give me few examples of playstyles made impossible by the horribly soul crushing evil that is so obviously Skyrim?
Could you not exaggerate, since I never called it a horribly, soul crushing evil? Any build that revolved around acrobatics or speed variable, any build that relied on Spell creation, whether to make the build itself, or diversify it from other similar builds, nearly all H2H builds, the list goes on. Then look at all of the effects and play styles that are no longer available because of the heavily neutered spell effects list. In the end, there was just more RPG before, not just more playstyles. Sky adds a few, but more were lost than were gained.

I WANT MILLIONS!!! :p
OK, millions.

Could you not exaggerate, since I never called it a horribly, soul crushing evil? Any build that revolved around acrobatics or speed variable, any build that relied on Spell creation, whether to make the build itself, or diversify it from other similar builds, nearly all H2H builds, the list goes on. Then look at all of the effects and play styles that are no longer available because of the heavily neutered spell effects list. In the end, there was just more RPG before, not just more playstyles. Sky adds a few, but more were lost than were gained.

OK, millions.
While acrobatics was a nice skill, a skill improved by jumping doesn't seem to be much fun to level up. Speed variable would be nice, but I can't imagine any prominent playstyles where is would be impossibly important. Spell creation would have been nice, but the spells we have now cover most of our needs. Hand 2 hand was removed because the devs thought that being a complete powerhouse without have to carry the burden of a weapon was overpowered.

As previously said, If you don't pay attention to what you had an lost, you can be happier with what you have now.

Xarnac

While acrobatics was a nice skill, a skill improved by jumping doesn't seem to be much fun to level up. Speed variable would be nice, but I can't imagine any prominent playstyles where is would be impossibly important. Spell creation would have been nice, but the spells we have now cover most of our needs. Hand 2 hand was removed because the devs thought that being a complete powerhouse without have to carry the burden of a weapon was overpowered.

As previously said, If you don't pay attention to what you had an lost, you can be happier with what you have now.
It's as fun/not fun as any other skill. No, not all needs are met by the spells. In fact there are less spells than ever. And no, that's not why H2H was neutered. As said before, I expect the bare minimum out of my ES. No, I cant be happier with less. Why/how would I forget about games I still play? I have less now, why would that make me happy? You basically want me to take a newbs perspective, well I'm no newb.

It's as fun/not fun as any other skill. No, not all needs are met by the spells. In fact there are less spells than ever. And no, that's not why H2H was neutered.
Give me some spells that we need then. We have fire, ice and lighting spells, mind altering spells, spells that make light, that show the path, that raise the dead, that can summon a deadra from its very home, the list goes on. What is it that we so sorely need?

Xarnac

Give me some spells that we need then. We have fire, ice and lighting spells, mind altering spells, spells that make light, that show the path, that raise the dead, that can summon a deadra from its very home, the list goes on. What is it that we so sorely need?
All the ones that were cut. And it's not about need. All you need is one of anything. One weapon, one race, one armor, one build. But ES has never been about what you need. It's about choice in how to play. My choices were diminished.

Xarnac

...such as?
Too many to list. Go to the UESP if you want a full list. Off the top of my head: silence, fortify anything attribute wise, disintegrate weapons/armor, command, encumber, reflect, cure disease, the list goes on. And that is just from Ob to Skyrim. I think it numbers around 15-18 of the number of spells that are no more. But as stated above, it is not about need, it is about choice. All that is needed is one of anything.

Beth/Todd definitely took the magic out of magic with Skyrim. Magic build diversity went into the toilet with lack of spell creation and a neutered effects list.

xShadow Shockx

Zeymah-Se-Vokuns
Personally, I love Skyrim. There isn't a thing about the game that I don't like, other than the exception of a quest that I was on glitched and now cannot be completed, but other than that, I love the game; I'm addicted to it.

With what you've posted, it seems to me that you're expecting too much from Bethesda, and from a video game... It's never going to contain gameplay mechanics that will make it play the way it would in real life, and the graphics are never going to be as outstanding as looking down on the world around you from the top of Mt. Everest; it's a video game.

The bottom line is that Bethesda put a lot of time, thought, work, and money into this game, and the majority of people who have played it are in love with it. I actually congratulate them on the vast improvements that they've made in comparison to Oblivion, and I hope that when the next Elder Scrolls game is created and released, that they improve even further (which, with the current development of next-gen consoles, they probably will).

Perhaps the most outstanding part of the entire game is that Bethesda actually listened to the concerns and suggestions that fans of Oblivion had expressed, and did their best to incorporate those concerns and suggestions into Skyrim. What more could you possibly ask for from the company? A pure and profound masterpiece; a work of video game art? I think you need to come down from the pedestal that you're on, and recognize Skyrim for the amazing game that it is...

Too many to list. Go to the UESP if you want a full list. Off the top of my head: silence, fortify anything attribute wise, disintegrate weapons/armor, command, encumber, reflect, the list goes on. And that is just from Ob to Skyrim. I think it numbers around 15-18 of the number of spells that are no more. But as stated above, it is not about need, it is about choice. All that is needed is one of anything.
A similar effect to silence can be achieved with an arrow of dagger and a paralysis poison. Encumber can be acheived through a powerful potion of slow, made easily with salt and a deathbell. There are perks with have reflect blow on them, though at a much lower power. Command is still here, in command animal, and in fury, to turn foes against another because the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

In truth, that took a few peeks at the ES wiki.

Xarnac

A similar effect to silence can be achieved with an arrow of dagger and a paralysis poison. Encumber can be acheived through a powerful potion of slow, made easily with salt and a deathbell. There are perks with have reflect blow on them, though at a much lower power. Command is still here, in command animal, and in fury, to turn foes against another because the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

In truth, that took a few peeks at the ES wiki.

Nope, they were all cut. More were cut than were added. Simple numbers dont lie. Using poisons isn't casting spells, no there is no command spells. Frenzy=/=command.

Personally, I love Skyrim. There isn't a thing about the game that I don't like, other than the exception of a quest that I was on glitched and now cannot be completed, but other than that, I love the game; I'm addicted to it.

With what you've posted, it seems to me that you're expecting too much from Bethesda, and from a video game... It's never going to contain gameplay mechanics that will make it play the way it would in real life, and the graphics are never going to be as outstanding as looking down on the world around you from the top of Mt. Everest; it's a video game.

The bottom line is that Bethesda put a lot of time, thought, work, and money into this game, and the majority of people who have played it are in love with it. I actually congratulate them on the vast improvements that they've made in comparison to Oblivion, and I hope that when the next Elder Scrolls game is created and released, that they improve even further (which, with the current development of next-gen consoles, they probably will).

Perhaps the most outstanding part of the entire game is that Bethesda actually listened to the concerns and suggestions that fans of Oblivion had expressed, and did their best to incorporate those concerns and suggestions into Skyrim. What more could you possibly ask for from the company? A pure and profound masterpiece; a work of video game art? I think you need to come down from the pedestal that you're on, and recognize Skyrim for the amazing game that it is...
THIS. THIS A THOUSAND TIMES, THEN A THOUSAND TIMES MORE.

Xarnac

I never said that they were not cut. I only said that that there were other means to obtain similar ends.
No, you give a bunch of flawed examples that are not like the original spells. They are gone. But as stated before, that isn't what makes magic build diversity plummet. Its lack of SC.

Xarnac

Things change. Not everything can be the same all the time. Bethesda may offended you but the majority of us believe that things are fine the way they are.
No, you do not know if a majority believe that. Plus a majority of people that played Skyrim were newbs, that didnt/doesnt know what was there in the first place. So they matter little in terms of previous features. Maybe a newb can get all giggly about Sky, but I've been here before....4 times. And got everything out of every previous game. Anything I want has already been here before. If I'm on any pedestal, it is the one Beth themselves put me on.

No, you do not know if a majority believe that. Plus a majority of people that played Skyrim were newbs, that didnt/doesnt know what was there in the first place. So they matter little in terms of previous features. Maybe a newb can get all giggly about Sky, but Ive been here before....4 times. And gt everything out of every previous games.
Take a look at the massive response and lasting impact Skyrim has made. You point about newbies making up the majority could be true, for all I know. But, what is done is done. Bethesda could add more spells, or they could leave leave their gameplay set in stone. We don't know. No amount of "I want the old stuff back" is going to bring it back, lest you start a petition and drop on Bethesda's doorstep.

Xarnac

Take a look at the massive response and lasting impact Skyrim has made. You point about newbies making up the majority could be true, for all I know. But, what is done is done. Bethesda could add more spells, or they could leave leave their gameplay set in stone. We don't know. No amount of "I want the old stuff back" is going to bring it back, lest you start a petition and drop on Bethesda's doorstep.
Take a look at the massive response every ES game has had since Daggerfall. In the end, the game I want makes everybody happy. Because it has all, which you can choose to either participate in or not. If everyone loves Sky so much, why would they be against more of it?

ES one of the few series where the fanboys are the newbs, and the critics are the vets. A generalization as there are always exceptions, but has been my observation through the series history.

These are the types of conversations that make me think the people responding to me do not know about what I'm talking about, or never used what I am talking about. These are not alien concepts and foreign features. These are/were fundamentals that could be seen in every ES.

Status
Not open for further replies.