Why does Skyrim run with such poor performance on my computer?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
*Apologies if this isn't the right forum but I couldn't find a technical queries forum or anything of that ilk!*

I am playing Skyrim on my iMac (running Windows 7 via 'Bootcamp').

The machine has the following specs:

Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 4GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB memory.

The first time I ran Skyrim it detected my video specifications and automatically set the game to 'High' quality based on that. However the game was unplayable with lag.

Now the game only really runs smoothly when I use 'Low' quality graphics.

Should I be able to play this game on High quality video settings based on the specs above? If not, why did Skyrim automatically set it to High quality based on my specs?

I can play all the Bioshock, Dead Space and Mass Effect games among many others on my computer at the highest video settings without any problems, is Skyrim that much more demanding on the system?

Or might it be something to do with the fact that I am dual booting on a Mac?

Finally is there any other way to improve performance on PC, such as relocating memory to the game or anything? (I am quite clueless about Windows, only using it for virtually the first time)

Any help appreciated!

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
I had the same problem with a 2 GB video card. Everything else in my rig is good. 8 GB RAM, Over Clocked CPU, etc. I ended up switching to Medium at first, but then I purchased a 4 GB Video card and now I can play on Ultra with no lag at all.

Try getting a video card.

Cheers for the reply.

I would get a video card but the problem is you can't install new video cards in these iMacs! It's rather annoying, but that's why I was wondering if there was any other way to increase performance via the system settings or whatever!

Did you ever notice how Macs needed much higher specs than a PC with Windows for the same game and spec?
It is strange why that's the way it is. Also, it is never a good idea to play anything on an emulator. You can try programs like game booster to clear up RAM and threads or Afterburner to overclock your GPU. Also get throttlestop and see if there were any temperature limits on your core.

Reaper0021

Steam: Reaper0021
Generally with Skyrim performance being "Laggy", it's usually background tasks running. I do not have a working knowledge of Mac's. I work for a company that builds and only deals with PC's. Try using this here for starters:
http://alternativeto.net/software/gboost/?platform=mac

Also, a messy hard drive does also impact the game. Make sure your HD is good, ordered and healthy. Registry errors can also be a factor. Look into programs that clean the registry and removes errors.

Sean

lost somewhere
That is actually why I will never buy an iMac or Alienware, as both are overpriced for what you actually get, but anyways, it's not like you can change that.

So, that GPUs memory is a bit low for what Skyrim needs. My computer's GPU has about 1gb with a clock speed of 1ghz, and it can run Skyrim in the High with a few settings maxed.

I am assuming that this one is the iMac that you have?

I am just going to say that you are SOL, as there isn't really much that you can do to play Skyrim without being on Low. The cheapest solution would be to play it on one of the consoles.

Reaper0021

Steam: Reaper0021
That is actually why I will never buy an iMac or Alienware, as both are overpriced for what you actually get, but anyways, it's not like you can change that.

So, that GPUs memory is a bit low for what Skyrim needs. My computer's GPU has about 1gb with a clock speed of 1ghz, and it can run Skyrim in the High with a few settings maxed.

I am assuming that this one is the iMac that you have?

I am just going to say that you are SOL, as there isn't really much that you can do to play Skyrim without being on Low. The cheapest solution would be to play it on one of the consoles.
Alienware does have some "Overpowered" systems and high-end models, but they build to your exact specs as well (I have...intimate knowledge of this).

Sean

lost somewhere
Alienware does have some "Overpowered" systems and high-end models, but they build to your exact specs as well (I have...intimate knowledge of this).

But they tend to price higher mostly just from the look of the computer and its name.
I have seen better laptops priced at less.

Anyways, this isn't the subject of the topic.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts