When does a character become overpowered?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Savvy Noob

after i started getting bored with the game (pre dlc) i thought i'd partake in a bit of smithing, enchanting and alchemy boosting (if thats what u call it) i didnt use the glitch but i got my enchanting potions up like 32% better i think, and my smithing potions up to 100 and something percent better and it was just something else to do in the game, each to your own its your game u do what u want

^^Agree, I was level 69 before I started working on alchemy...Im just bored so it gives me something to do (Alchemy is at 71 right now). I will try my hand at doing the Smithing/Alchemy/Enchant stuff once I hit 100 alchemy...just to give me something to do

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
My first character is extremely overpowered. At lvl. 55, he has Full Daedric Armor and a Fire Enchanted Daedric Sword. He is a vampire and during the day he can kill a Fire Dragon without taking much damage. Plus, the Dragonrend makes the Dragon battles too easy. Not complaining because I love my Uber-Vampire. It's nice to just own the enemy.

Neriad13

Premium Member
The moment I start using fast-travel. It's a game-killer for me. The second I fast-travel, just once, I completely lose all interest in the character and see myself as a teleporting god.

Nick_Tbolt

My first guy one hits like everything on adept, I'm using a different one now on Expert and it has gotten more interesting, I agree the Deathlorsds suck, especially when they use.their "Unrelenting Force Shout" ;P

Redguard level 81 - Dual Enchanted Dragonbone Axes - Fully Upgraded Werewolf

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
The moment I start using fast-travel. It's a game-killer for me. The second I fast-travel, just once, I completely lose all interest in the character and see myself as a teleporting god.

I see your point. When I first started playing, I didn't even know Fast-Travelling was an option. No idea. I walked and ran everywhere. I bought so many horses. I figured it out by accident. I just selected the town and it asked. I choose yes and BAM I was in Solitude. I couldn't believe it.

My Hunter build doesn't use fast travel. I'm finding quests that I didn't even know existed.

Savvy Noob

if quick travel was not on this game the dawnguard dlc would change from a 10 hr dlc to an 100 hr dlc just because of the fetch this , kill that quests (after the main quests)

Skyrimosity

Well, you do not HAVE to fast travel it is a completely optional decision. By not fast travelling you can find things you never knew of, discover different quests, stumble upon a crazy old lady in the woods with a secret basement, all that sort of stuff.

Honeyderp

I haven't thought of not using fast travel on a character. Have to try that, probably with an archer, because I've been wanting to make one for a while.

Sargeant_002

I found a potion once that claimed to deal 948 points of poison damage. Alduin took it like a champ in the first encounter. I wish I could make it!!!

Brian-

Neriad13

Premium Member
Every so often I'm able to make a potion (at level 40 alchemy with very few perks) that deals almost 900 points of stamina damage, stops 100% of stamina regeneration and is worth 31000 septims. I have no idea how it happens, if it's a bug or what. The weird thing is that I've been able to do it multiple times too.

Ivory

Let's Player
Hmm...I think I'll be trying the non-fast traveling idea. I've noticed it has been a game killer for me lately as well.

Bertrum

Stop Hodoring!
In my first play through, I got to level 65, and I was a master of destruction magic and enchanting. I was using high power fire spells at like 80% reduced cost, it become boring very quickly.

thrillinois

somewhere in the 50s, maybe late 40s - that's when i distinctly noticed my guy starting to really dominate. if you are playing smart by those levels, several perk trees should be at a 100 with good perks taken.

Kage

I'm the type of person who loves to be OP. I revel in the power. However, I like to get there as fair as possible. I admit to using glitches, but I like to get as far as possible on my own without them, until I get far to frustrated with the game. I got to about 90 smithing on my won before I went a ahead and used a glitch to get the last 10 levels. I don't enjoy being so powerful that things don't pose a challenge, which is why I'm on Master or Expert a lot. I give my Weapons an Armour powerful enchantments, and beat the hell out of things.

Over all, I just enjoy being the most bad ass thing in my game, but still getting some semblance of a long fight, even if it is inevitable that I win.

Janus3003

Skyrim Marriage Counselor
I haven't really felt OP in Vanilla Skyrim (except for bandits and many other foes suddenly no longer scaling with me, but a mod changed that), though I haven't messed around with alchemy very much.
I take more issue with "god item" mods, not to mention OP followers that not only Shout, use magic and melee, but are essential on top of all that.
Heck, essential followers bug me in general. I'm all right with protected, though.

Streets

The Gentleman Owl
Another good thing to try is to never NEVER level up. You can improve your skills of course, but you can't go into the level up screen, so you stay level 1 and never take any perks or assign health/magicka/stamina. The enemies mostly scale to you, but you have to be very careful with ones that don't, and Dragon Priests are basically out of the question.

I too had found that smithing and/or enchanting too much would ruin the fun. I tried a warrior who used bound sword and no smithing or enchanting at all, and it was really fun. But then I summoned a Dremora Lord, and yeah, the challenge was gone. You really have to limit yourself within the game if you don't want to be overpowered.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts