What Would You Change Or Add Skyrim?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ryguy90

For this thread you must list what you dislike about Skyrim and how you would have change it. It can be about anything, story, missions, game play, or even graphics.

For me the biggest issue I have is Ulfric Stormcloak because I want to feel good about helping him, but he comes across as a racist jerk. See when I first listened to Ulfric talk about why he fights in his throne room, he comes across as a passionate and patriotic man that fights because he feels that Empire has grown weak and betrayed their people when they surrendered to the Thalmor. But then I saw how he treats the Dark Elves and Argonians living in his city, and then I learned of his place in the over throw of the Forsworn during the Markarth incident were killed reach men and nord alike, and I realized he was just a hypocrite, and a racist.

Only nearly no one in the game, even his enemies, point these things out. Instead they just focus on his murder of the high king, making it seem like the writers never really thought about how these things would effect the players view of Ulfric and never intended for him to come across as the villain.

If they really wanted the player to decide if Ulfric was ether a tragic hero who is forced into war or a power hungry warlord, the writers needed to make a few changes. First I would have had Ulfric claim he was tricked in helping the Jarl of Malkarth and the High King into overthrowing the Forsworn. What happen was that to pull the Forsworn army away from the Malkarth, a large Skyrim army, lead by Jarl Igmund, marched onto the Reach forcing the Forsworn army to meet them in the field before the Nords could pillage the country side.

Now with Malkarth nearly undefended, Ulfric and High King Higrif (the High King before Torygg) lead a smaller force on the city. The plan Ulfric was told was that he would break the gates down with the power of the Thu'um, then he and King Higrif would take the city and force Madanach to renegotiate the treaty Talos made with the Forsworn after his war with the Reach Men, he. So thinking he was ending the war before the bloodshed got worse, Ulfric shouted the gigantic gates open. Only instead of ordering their housecarls to peacefully march in and occupy the city, Higrif order them to charge in and kill anyone, Nord and Forsworn alike. For days Ulfric watched his dreams of a peacefully treaty with the Forsworn come undone, as solders he had just days earlier counted among his shield siblings murdered unarmed civilians and pillaged their homes. This was the start of the burning hated he had for the High King, which was only increased when he learned that Higrif had rode back to Solitude so he could try to blame sacking of Markarth on Ulfric and his desire to restore the worship of Talos, and that Jarl Igmund, who abandoned his army to the Forsworn when the battle turned against them, was also being declared a True Son of Skyrim by the same High King.

All Ulfric could do was save his old friend King Madanach from Thonar Silver-Blood's chopping block, and promise to the true King Of The Reach that he would bring justice for the Forsworn before ridding back to Windhelm.

See this story of the events cast Ulfric in a better light, while at the same time it can be argued that King Higrif's story of Ulfric holding Markarth hostage in exchange for free Talos worship since the player never actually sees what happen. It would all come down to do you see Ulfric and Madanach as heroic men who are trying to bring freedom to their people or just a couple of schemers who use their people as pawns in their quest for power.

This would also be the catyolist of events that lead to the civil war. For instance once Ulfric returned to Windhelm, he demanded that the Empire go and do something about the Markarth Incident at once. Only it was placed on the lower end of the Empire's to-do list, forcing Ulfric to sit on his butt as Higrif continued to drag his name threw the mud, and war in the Reach continued to become more violent with each passing day, all the while the Thalmor had begun cracking down on Talos worshiping across Skyrim.

Finally Ulfric had enough and began making ready for war. The first thing he did was make contact with like minded Jarls who were feed up with the corrupted King, the slowly invading Thalmor, and the weak Empire who was letting it happen. Then with those Jarls behind him Ulfric began to look for non-nord allies to help counter the vast number of solders the Empire could call upon. He already had the Forsworn do to his own secret support of their own war, but they would be mostly stuck fighting in the Reach and Ulfric need solders who could help protect the hold's loyal to him. Specifically he looked towards to Skyrim's large Dark Elf and Orc populations for support. To get them on their side Ulfric promised the Dark Elves their own hold to make up for the loss of Morrowind and promised the Orc's he would promote Malacath to one of the divines. This of course brought many Dark Elves and Orcs from all over Skyrim and beyond to fill the ranks of army, giving him access to more warriors and more importantly spell castors to counter the Thalmor.

Now this isn't a perfect back story for Ulfric and I am not saying they had to do it like this, but it does allow more room for debate on the man's character and his beliefs. Because while it can be argued that Ulfric is fighting not only for nords but other races that have been left to writher by the empire, you can also claim that Ulfric is willing to promote a dedric prince to godhood and sell off a pieces of his country to barbarians and provincials in exchange for the throne.

But let me know what you think of this and what you would have done to make Skyrim better.

AS88

Staff member
I wish they'd spent another year on it - should have been released 12/12/12

ALL the bugs should have been fixed, the factions should all have longer questlines. There's so much dialogue and stuff hidden within the creation kit, in particular with the Civil War questline (you were meant to be able to take individual villages, defend and lose your forts), where the dialogue was written, but they decided not to implement it.

I believe you should be a certain level before being able to lead ANY of the factions. I think this should be as follows (very roughly) -
Archmage - at least level 50 in all magic skills, at least 90 in one or more, at least 50 speech
Guild Master - at least level 50 in 3 or more "thief" skills, at least 70 sneak
Listener - at least level 70 in sneak, at least level 50 in one of - 2h/1h/destruction/illusion/alchemy
Harbinger - at least level 40 overall, at least level 70 in two skills out of - 2h/1h/heavy armour/light armour/smithing/archery
Also minumum levels for ranks in the civil war factions

I think this would make the stories much more progressive and filled out, and it would be more difficult to simply follow the questlines rigidly and become leader of the universe by level 35. Personally, I role-play to similar restrictions, there's no way I'd let a character of mine lead a faction before they were more capable than the other members now (although I did do them all on my first character :p) ).

Also, I think the character should be able to make the Forsworn non-hostile through missions started in Cidhna (sp?) Mine, they should have side quests at least, maybe even another attempt to take the Reach once the player has sufficiently weakened their enemies.

I think the player should be able to assist the Thalmor, although not become an integral agent, due to the nature of the existing agents (very aloof, superiority complex), and also have an eventual twist where the player is deemed to be of no further use, and targeted themselves.

I understand that it's just a game, but there was so much untapped potential. I believe if they'd made everything harder to do (levelling smithing, alchemy, enchanting, etc) and made every character get better slowly, less people would have restartitis because their characters would have value. Stories like character journals would be infinitely more epic and the game would just be better!

All that said, it's still the best game I've ever played, but it still frustrates me how much better it COULD have been. :Dragonborn:

Odd Child

The Bronze Boar!
Make character interactions more believable and add more animations! I'm tired of standing on a table in a bar sending things flying everywhere and the npc's nonchalantly telling me their life story, like hello?? I'm standing on your food!

AS88

Staff member
^ This.

And I want to be able to lean at the bar or sit on a tree stump, or lean on a wall with my arms folded, or do the thinking face stroking my beard.

samgurl775

Cerberus Officer
A more reactionary and smarter world. I killed Ulfric Stormcloak, why do Imperial soldiers snarkily say "What do you want, Imperial?". I'm an Altmer wearing Thalmor robes, why can I walk up to Ulfric and speak with him without him even batting an eye? Why do guards say they don't like clunky two handed weapons when they have a battle axe on their back? Why does Vekel continuously refer to me as Brynjolf's new protege? If I do the Companions quest last, why does Vilkas say he has never heard of me? I could go on and on.

ryguy90

Another thing I really hate are my companions. They can't ride horses, they don't always use equipment I want them to use, they have no personality and I despise how I can only have one with me at a time. I'm not asking for each of them to be on the level of Mass Effect team mates or to be able to build my own privet army (even though that would be cool) but how about the occasional comment on things that are happening or allowing them to ride horses so they can keep up with me, or even allow me to have at least two of them with me.

A vastly increased speech base. Why does every innkeeper or shopkeeper use the same dialogue? Why are there so many people who sound the same? Clearly Bethesda hired a small number of voice actors and writers. Word files are tiny compared to the total size of Skyrim. Maybe we should all volunteer to act as voice providers, send in your responses as various characters, each with unique ways of interacting with the player. I am pretty sure most players would love to become the voice of an NPC, maybe be listed in the credits. I see myself as a really obnoxious Bandit chief .

sticky runes

HA! I have the PS3 version - what would I NOT change? ;)

But to be honest, just little changes to the menus would help improve the experience for me. For example, when I'm shopping - just about any other RPG I've ever played will let me know how many copies of an item I already have in my inventory, so I don't end up spending money on something that it turns out I already own. And when I receive a god's blessing at a shrine: "Blessing of blah blah blah added" how about letting me know what bonus I'm receiving, so I don't have to open up my magic menu and check on my active effects to find out? Had a field day on my first trip to the Temple of the Divines in Solitude.

And of course - get rid of the ability to pick up bowls and baskets and pots. I haven't known these items to ever have any real value, they just add unwanted weight, and you have to fanny about to make sure you don't accidently pick up something you don't want, especially when collecting small items like ingredients.

HA! I have the PS3 version - what would I NOT change? ;)

But to be honest, just little changes to the menus would help improve the experience for me. For example, when I'm shopping - just about any other RPG I've ever played will let me know how many copies of an item I already have in my inventory, so I don't end up spending money on something that it turns out I already own.

Add the ability to 'protect' favorite items, so they are not accidently sold.

sticky runes

and i would like to be able to delete quests that I don't want to do. yes, i have the option to not do the quest, but just about every quest is entered into your journal, regardless of whether you accept it or not. and you end up with a cluttered journal. Or at least give us a folder option to put quests on reserve or something (particularly the ones that respawn)

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
I want to say more weapons. With the 2 handed skill tree no reason for lack of spears and polearms.
Also they perfected archery mechanics, so why not bring back throwing weapons.
Personally I liked the morriwind style multiple types of the same level. so I felt like my character Is for sure unique to me. Cause i like peicemeal armor.
So in conclusion just more equiptment diversity.

Satorus

PS3 player here, I really love this game but it is by no means perfect. Here is my list of changes I would like to see happen:

Follower levels, stas and skills: I wish I could see the stats and levels of my followers. I hate that you have no idea what companions are good at unless you look it up online.

Follower AI: I really wish followers would not equip things on their own. If I give my follower a legendary ebony breastplate then I must have a reason for doing it. I dont appreciate when the computer will auto equip a plain version of whatever armor they are wearing over an improved one, and I absolutley hate having to keep an eye out on my follower to make sure they are not dual wielding staffs.

NPC dialogue: I really hate how even though my character is now Arch Mage at the mages college, NPC's will still say things like, "Oh, magic huh? You should inquire about the mages college." There should be an option to answer back and inform these people that I am in fact the leader of the college.
And to add to that, I really dont like how you could literally do nothing in magic and still become arch mage of it. I agree with above posters saying that there should be a required magic level to enter the college.

Unkillable NPCs: I remember when playing Elder Scrolls Morrowind on the pc I attacked a storyline npc. When he was about to die the game froze and I got a message saying that if this NPC was killed then the main storyline would become unplayable. I really wish Skyrim had this option. After playing through the main storyline multiple times I have started making characters that want nothing to do with being the Dragonborn. If I wanted to go kill the innkeeper at the Riverwood inn then I should be able to. Nothing is worse then attacking an NPC only to find out that they can't be killed then they follow you around until you hopefully get away.

Variety of weapons and armor: I feel that there would be much more than is currently in game. I enjoy how bad ass Daedric Armor is, but If I want to make a holy paladin then I'm stuck using inferior steel armor simply because Daedric just looks evil. There should be an option to forge the armor into different looks and styles or just make several suits of end game armor. Same thing can be applied to weapons and shields.

Thats all for now. I am sure I will think of more as the day goes on.

Bad-People

Supreme Overlord of the Barbarian Tribe of Hothor
Oh man SO MUCH... first of all fix the peskier bugs but my big peeve is the magic system, I'd make that more like the older systems where you didn't have to just use the spells they give you. I always liked using my own spells. Next I'd do something about the perks, they'd be great if they just made a skill better. Instead a skill without perks, even at 100, feels fairly useless.

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
I would like to be able to dismantle the Thieve's Guild like you can the Dark Brotherhood (if my character wanted to). The option to recruit people into your own small army would be nice. Also a more dynamic Civil War set of quests would be great.

Edit: And the option to actually kill the Stormcloak and Imperial camp leaders

Maurice Twoo

Relatively New Member
One of the first thing I would like changed is an option where you can have your follower (any kind) be dismissed BUT stay at A place where you dismissed them where they would interact with the enviroment like any other N.P.C.

For Example: I found Meeko, A dog whose owner had died of illness & I want to give him A better home than Just some back woods shack out in the middle of no-where that offers little to no protection.

Also, I think an other cool addition would be the chance to fight mounted enemies (or guards) & that they would be challenging (as well as tricky) to fight. Good chance to hone your skills with spears & such I would say......

& I would think that it would be much better if each of the Hold Guards have different looks instead of all of them looking like Stormcloak Rebels with different A colored cuirass.

Like for example: Solitude guards look like legionaires, Markarth guards look like mercenaries & Riften guards look like thugs & so on.......

Almost like this here mod: (Every city have various guard oufits TS Edition at Skyrim Nexus - Skyrim mods and community).

Bad-People

Supreme Overlord of the Barbarian Tribe of Hothor
One of the first thing I would like changed is an option where you can have your follower (any kind) be dismissed BUT stay at A place where you dismissed them where they would interact with the enviroment like any other N.P.C.

For Example: I found Meeko, A dog whose owner had died of illness & I want to give him A better home than Just some back woods shack out in the middle of no-where that offers little to no protection.

I think the reason they do this is so you don't lose them.

ryguy90

I would like to be able to dismantle the Thieve's Guild like you can the Dark Brotherhood (if my character wanted to). The option to recruit people into your own small army would be nice. Also a more dynamic Civil War set of quests would be great.

Edit: And the option to actually kill the Stormcloak and Imperial camp leaders

And expose the Thieves Guild's top customer, Mavin Black Briar. She's nearly as bad as the Silver Blood family, only they are stupid enough to give their prisoners pick-axes, put them in a deep hole with no guards around, and then act surprise when most of the prisoners escape.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts