What Makes Skyrim Special?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Train

Is that all you got?!
I've observed many things in Skyrim, for example, in nearly every direction you look, it's a picture perfect scene. The design of great games makes you want to play them more due to certain elements: sound, feel/aesthetics, gameplay, story, camera movement, camera placement, even down to the accomplishment one gets during play, to the struggle of fighting that one enemy that you're so close to beating, and when you finally do, it cycles back to add to accomplishment through that struggle.

Scenery:
Skyrim is unique, this is the first sand box RPG game I've ever played that takes every camera angle into consideration. This is mostly because it's hand sculpted by artists that put a lot of thought into the scenery rather than letting it be computer generated. Notice when looking out over the landscape, distant mountains, nearby trees, and even the character (when in 3rd person) fits into the shot just perfectly. In every picture an artist draws, there's a grid that they fit things into, the grid is like a tic-tac-toe box, but using the intersecting lines rather than the empty squares. Objects that go into the picture or shot must either be on the left, right, top or bottom depending on their distance, importance and what part they play in telling the picture's story (yes, even a still picture tells a story). In every direction you look in Skyrim (just about) you can see that objects fit into the grid almost perfectly, there's nearby objects (trees, rocks, etc.) that anchor the scene, these are foreground, then there's middle ground objects that are usually staging the main activity in the shot (i.e. what you're really looking at), then background objects (distant mountains for example).

To best explain what I'm talking about, go to the road that leads off to Valtheim Towers to the East of Whiterun, but stop a half dozen paces past the bridge near the waterfall and look over at Whiterun...now stop and take in the breathless beauty. ;) That's what I'm talking about, you don't know why you like it, but there's a scientific reason behind why.

Sound:
Sound is the unsung hero of any video game, the music, the effects, the birds chirping, the water gurgling, the footsteps (though subtle), the voice actors, the foley artists that bring you sounds that are practically impossible to get from real life, and every tiny, little, seemingly inconsequential sound that you hear (some you don't even realize are there. Mark Lampert is the genius that put together much of the sounds you hear in Skyrim, and though he's done stuff for other games as well, this is his masterpiece. He even talked about how he recorded himself banging on a dryer at home, didn't use the sound for the longest time but had it in his library, then at some point needed a sound like that, so he grabbed his dryer sound and plugged it in - :facepalm: you have to be either genius or crazy to do that lol: "dude, your dryer's in a game set in a fantasy realm with Elves and extinct Dwarves"...and I think I know where he used it, my guess is in one of those Dwemer ruins.

But sound is more than this, you're not hearing just one sound when you hear something clank, crash, growl or bang; you're hearing layers upon layers of sounds all packed together to make on sound. Sometimes this is just three or four layers, sometimes it's ten to twenty. The more layers, the more that sound draws you into the game; and sounds are engineered to make you want to keep playing, they make you want to get to the end of that Dwemer ruin or beat that dragon into submission.

There's more to tell, but I just wanted to get started. What have you found that draws you into the game more? Try playing the game with an objective mind, don't just play, watch yourself play. Take note of things that are subtle, but add to the experience. Most people don't think about the engineering and the stuff that makes you want to play more, you must be observant and think way outside the box to see the stage itself. In fact, studying movie screenplays, theatre performance, directing, etc will let you see things you never saw before. Skyrim has more stuff that fits the rules of these arts than any game I've ever played, it was truly crafted in a way no other has ever been. There may be games that do a better job in some areas, but none that do as good overall. Skyrim deserves GOTY for more reasons than the game itself...it's practically a movie starring you.

Shew

Account closed (at sincere request).
This should be a article... I am reading this and am engrossed, I need more. Plus its a great review.

HyeNinja

The insane amount of detail put into the game.
For example... Ah, it's just too incredible to put into words. o_O

Train

Is that all you got?!
Thanks everybody! I should have put "review" next to the title, but I was hesitant to do so for some reason; partially because I knew it wouldn't be finished because (a) I didn't have time to finish what I've seen in the game so far, (b) because I'm far from through with my observation of the game, it continues to amaze.

I've learned a lot just by playing Skyrim, and like HyeNinja said: "It's just too incredible to put into words." I'll try my best though, and over the coming weeks/months I'll do what I can to expound on the game.

Thanks to PurpleShew and Devious for inspiring me to do this; it will actually help a lot with my research into the game, never considered starting a thread about it, and I'd love to see what other people find and post about.

Very cool! Skyrim is truly a special game. I think it has what many games still today lack. I only just started to actually listen to the music of Skyrim, and it is magnificent. I just found my favorite song called "secunda" it usually goes on in a forest or a really serene place. Great job!

SaveVsBedWet

I think it would be pretty easy to write volumes about an itemized list of things that make not only Skyrim, but the entire TES series one of a kind and a triumph. But HyeNinja really summed it up in the 3rd post, to where it would be redundant for me to be listing everything.

It is the detail. The little things. Observations, player sticklers, and calculations that lesser gaming companies skip over. It's having a true understanding of the genre and what players are choosing the genre for. With all that encompasses.

And beyond that, it is the TES Construction Kit. The ultimate ode to the fanbase that says in no uncertain terms that "no we can't think of everything, and we can't please everybody, but that doesn't mean everything can't be thought of, and everyone can't be pleased". Leading to a series that has been around for most of its 17 or 18 years and can still pretty much claim to be official DLC optional.

I've never seen a series like it - that is so enormous and enormously complex and intricate right out of the box without literally blue screening the second I click on the install, every time, and that still gives me the opportunity to make the game so much bigger and more intricate that I could literally live in it permanently.

The only thing that really has to happen for TES to become "a problem" for spouses and companies is for it to end up optimized for 3D IMAX, and for the price of such wrap around immersion feeding entertainment systems to become reasonable. The graphical intricacy of this series would literally allow 1st person view to assume a state of VR approaching Matrix-like realism. And then who would ever leave it? Not I!
!
And with the realism that was achieved in character modeling with that Secrets Within Final Fantasy movie? Hey I don't play Dr. D'Irsei, I AM Dr. D'Irsei!

Which means I'm late for a mani-pedi...

Train

Is that all you got?!
I completely agree with you, what makes Skyrim the best is that the best people work on it...and they enjoy working on it. I am merely making note of all the details :D, literally picking it apart piece by piece and finding out what makes it tick. Todd Howard said that no one person that was involved in the game knows everything there is to know about it...I can count on one hand the games that can be said about...oh, and they all happen to be TES games, how strange...

There's things that have gone into Skyrim that I've never seen before in any video game, though. Things that generally only blockbuster movies have, and certainly no other game has, or at least not during gameplay, maybe in a cutscene, but not during gameplay. I think people are just playing the game and not realizing what they're playing. I had my 360 plugged into a friend's tv just a few days ago, and the color was all wonky, the tv was literally incapable of displaying it properly despite it being a 42" flatscreen. My tv has proper ratios and can deliver the correct color, but on the other tv, most everything was grey and bland, and yes, I tried adjusting it. I had wondered why people were saying Skyrim was dull and grey, I've seen that on several forums actually, because for me it's filled with color and vibrance. So someone not seeing the proper color can't even enjoy it. This is just one small thing, but adds up with everything else.

Skyrim is an experience, and it truly needs to be played in a theatre, I suspect only then one could appreciate the visuals and sounds...I can't say the same for other games though, I don't think a theatre would do anything for them. I'm through rambling now...:D

Shew

Account closed (at sincere request).
I was so enthalled by my character I have literally written a story of who I play him as. The game takes me inside the story.

redrkt

Premium Member
Great reading TRAIN, just one question tho (and it may be my system) but I have noticed a few noise artifacts in several things (mainly when you absorb a dragon soul) my speakers completely whack out on the noise so it becomes nothing but a screech of sound (like I said it may be my system tho) any ideas on this?

Sevrin

I was so enthralled by my character I have literally written a story of who I play him as. The game takes me inside the story.

The best games will have you doing that whether you intend to or not. I was just creating a guy to magically torch stuff, and he's got a whole backstory in another thread around here. And his story might not even take him toward becoming the Dragonborn seeing as the world's so massive and filled with quests.

rvk5150

The game is so vast in possibilities; that is what I think is the most fantastic about it. I have memories of significant experiences with playing games over the years; with Nintendo it was the first Zelda; with SNES it was Final Fantasy II and so on.

I can see this being one of most memorable games now; so much time invested and so much fun.....

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
It really is the greatest video game ever made.

I do not participate in game forums, normally, but this is really extraordinary. I have over 300 hours of gameplay (not counting many more on aborted sessions) and STILL discovering quests and other little things.

Re the OP, the use of slightly exaggerated perspective and the fog in Skyrim makes the game world seem much more expansive than it really is. By placing mountains all over the place you reduce the amount of gameworld visible at any one time , reducing the strain on the CPU, which is heavy.
There is a lot of clever stuff going on with the graphics and lighting, and YES it is gorgeous.

The amount of optimization that must have gone in is insane, the Skyrim DVD has little more than 5GB of data, Sonic Generations has over 7GB!!!! Compare the two for size?

Also, the music is sublime.

I am preparing a review myself. This one has spurned me to get on with it. ...

Train

Is that all you got?!
Great reading TRAIN, just one question tho (and it may be my system) but I have noticed a few noise artifacts in several things (mainly when you absorb a dragon soul) my speakers completely whack out on the noise so it becomes nothing but a screech of sound (like I said it may be my system tho) any ideas on this?

I've noticed little glitches with sounds sometimes, mostly in Dwemer ruins. I have not had it happen with dragons, but every once in a while a sound will be taken and duplicated for some reason. What happens is the sound is being copied and stacked on top of itself repeatedly, which amplifies it. It's probably when the sound has been triggered by a listener*. What happens is the code that tells the sound to play is glitching, probably what's happening is the listener is triggered to play the sound, then the listener that's supposed to tell it the sound was called and to stop calling it didn't work, so it gets called repeatedly. It's amazing that this doesn't break the game, generally these things are infinite, and when a computer ever deals with infinity then it gets stuck in a loop and crashes.

Of course, I don't know enough about code to explain exactly what's happening, but what I do know is you're hearing the sound ten to 20 times (or even more) all at once. Does this happen very often? Does it happen every time? Or just on occasion? At any rate it's a glitch, there could be fix that some have for the PC, but for us console guys we're at the mercy of Bethesda. I'm just glad it doesn't happen to me very often because I wear headphones when playing :eek:. In my case I can actually hear the sound build up slowly, at first it's normal, then it starts going all wonky and I can literally hear the sound being stacked on top of itself. I can actually re-create this effect in sound editing software, that's one of the reasons why I know what's happening, but what's actually causing it to happen is beyond me, though I strongly suspect it's along the lines of the listener glitching.

*a listener is a code that waits for a specific action to happen, like a dragon dying or something, but all the sounds are triggered by listeners. Note: I'm calling it a listener because that's what it's called in Adobe Flash code, every coder has their own name for it, but it's all the same thing, some just call it different names than others.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
The "sound-off" event sometimes fails to take effect . In my case, some effects like dragon shouts can get stuck looping if i pause the game while the sound is playing, and they only get unstuck if the sound is triggered again.

Some people have had problems with this and had sounds stuck forever, and persisting in game saves.

Train

Is that all you got?!
Not to be insensitive, but: bwahahaha! I figured that was happening to some people, I just haven't heard the report yet. On one hand I wish I was experiencing more of these glitches and stuff because it gives away so much about how things are being called and triggered, but on the other hand I'm so freakin' glad I haven't been struggling with that stuff too much. It would really suck to be stuck with a dragon soul absorbing sound, you'd literally have to go find and kill another dragon to stop it. :sadface:

I've had some odd things happen that tell a lot about Skyrim's coding though. A lot of the sounds must be available at all times despite where you are. After clearing out a Dwemer ruin once, I went back to Whiterun and stepped into the Bannered Mare...and there it was, one of the creaking sounds from the ruin was trapped in the tavern...I don't think it ever fixed itself either, every time I went back there it was still going. The sound was distinctly coming from behind Hulda and attached to the wall...so either she's hiding something in there, or those sounds are packaged up and load to some extent in every area you enter (probably just interiors though, I've never heard that in the wilderness or in a town before, so there's a package labeled something like "interior sounds", and it loads just enough to be accessed).

Sevrin

It really is the greatest video game ever made.

Everyone is welcome to their opinions but I have to say, any time anyone says "[x] is the greatest video game ever", I feel like punching them or at least lecturing them on the irritating nature of excessive hyperbole. With all the genres and all the plotlines and all the gameplay elements and concepts in the whole of the history of video games, how can you call any one "the greatest ever"? Skyrim is a GREAT game. Maybe even the greatest of its kind (western open-world action-RPG), depending on opinion. But it's not the best FPS, puzzle game, point-and-click, interactive drama, tactical RPG, JRPG, roguelike, metroidvania game, MMO, arcade game, hack-n-slash, beat-em-up, dungeon crawler, third person shooter, visual novel, adventure game, h-game (might not always be tasteful but it is still a genre XD), bullet hell, party game, indie game, etcetera...

It manages to be a true gem in its one genre among countless others. It doesn't even touch a wide variety of those other genres. Best western RPG? Okay, sure. Best game EVER? That's just egotism.

[/pet peeve rant]

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
Oh yes, it is THE GREATEST GAME EVER MADE AND I HAVE PLAYED IT! :)

mwa ha ha ha!!!

[/trollolol]

On the whole, if we say all video games are oranges, and game genres are just different orange varieties, we can compare them all as to which is is the tastiest, juiciest, and has the longest lasting drinking pleasure, value for money etc etc. Of course taste is subjective, but if we add up the scores on all the different qualities of the product we can come up with a winner.

Skyrim:
Incredible looking, high producion values, art direction AND most varied graphics: Check
Addictiveness: Check
Challenging: Check
Value for money: Check
Depth and complexity: Double Check
Highest replay value: Triple-check!

No other game scores so high in so many categories.

Train

Is that all you got?!
Sevrin has a point, but frankly I have to disagree with it, although I do admit it's strictly opinion, so here's mine: I've played many an FPS, my favorites being CoD 2 and Halo: Combat Evolved (gotta' hate those Elites and Nazis), but I find the shooter elements in Skyrim to be far more realistic (partially due to the lack of rails). I've played hack and slash games: Darksiders, Dante's Inferno, Devil May Cry 4, Bayonetta, etc (don't have a favorite because I really don't like H&S too much, but I'd say DMC4; Bayonetta crossed a line with me). Still, Skyrim has better hack and slash elements than any of these, is far more realistic and I believe requires a lot more skill since you can't just button mash your way through.

On to puzzle games, now this isn't a strong suit of any TES, but it has elements, I will agree that Zelda is still the reigning champ of puzzles, Tetris has nothing on that :D. However, again I must also include realism, it's more realistic to deal with the puzzles in Skyrim than any Zelda game, and a couple of the puzzles I've found in TES V are pretty tough in their own right. So it's realistic puzzles that fit more of an Indiana Jones feel and aren't constantly in your face, verses a game that has a very unrealistic puzzle behind every door (and some times more than one). I would have to go with realistic, though Zelda does hold a special place for me.

The only other genre that really counts is fighting, like Mortal Kombat, DBZ or Street Fighter. Honestly, if you'd rather play such mind-numbing button mashers...then there's no hope for you in my opinion. MMO is just facebook for gamers that happens to have something to do that's more interesting than staring at a wall, so it has to be reduced down to just RPG to be able to compare, and as an RPG I don't think any hold up very well, it's the multi-player aspect that makes one want to play them, not the game itself. As far as any RPG...well...really? Seriously? Is there even an RPG that challenges TES? No need to remind Fable about how much its last two games sucked...and the only RPG I can think of that would be able to at least look at Skyrim would be Far Cry 2, but its massive lack of side quests in comparison leaves it lacking; and for me there was no replay value at all, which is very necessary for an RPG (or at least to me it is). Let's not even talk about GTA or SR, that stuff gets boring after five minutes.

Party games like Dance Dance Revolution, Rock Band, or even Guitar Hero are not for true, hardcore gamers to play just all the time. I've never played these games, so I can't even talk about them, it's the only genre I avoid like the plague, and when I'm hangin' with friends, I don't want to be playing some game. It's like really? You guys are all so boring you have to have a game to play even when you get together? You can't put down the controller for half a second, go outside and play some basketball or something? Really?....Seth! Tell'em 'bout the "Really", Seth!

In conclusion: Skyrim is the greatest game ever made (in my opinion, which qualifies since it can only be opinion based). Now, if the majority of gamers also concluded the same, then it would be officially the greatest game ever made, or at least until TES: VI Elsweyr...o_O:oops::eek::D ...now we know where I want to go next, it's not my fault, those blasted Khajiit keep saying "may your road lead you to warm sands"...I want my warm sands! Come to think of it...maybe that was put in the game to be a hint as to what Bethsoft was thinking of doing next...thought for food. Side note: I don't like playing beast races, but I like seeing them in the game.

[I knew this thread would be good, writing the above just helped me realize why I think Skyrim is the best, at some point I'll have to put all this information into one article...it looks like it might be a long one...please, everybody, do tell what's good, or bad even (bugs/glitches don't count as something that's bad since it's not intentional, I'm talking design and stuff), about Skyrim]

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts