What kind of new spells would you like Bethesda to add?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
I'd rather get something new with every game, than they stick to the predictible formula for success to the pooint of Stagnation. Same with skills, perks, abilities, weapons, and armor. Variety is the staff of life, and we already have Hollewood to beat good ideas to death.
I fully agree. I just don't see a NEED for many whole new effects, not that I wouldn't like to see them I would much rather most of the old Oblivion effects over some of the ideas that have been suggested. I find they have removed a few good useful spells. Water Walking, and Fortify Spells were great, and I have ran into a lot of spots where walking on Water Would be amazing, or where giving myself a temporary deeper health, magicka, or stamina pool would've made a fight far easier.

We really don't need many big effect spells, such as summoning a dragon, as they are game breakers. I haven't ever found a point where I need a spell that wasn't in Oblivion or Skyrim, besides maybe some more new low-mid level summons, however most of what I have ever needed has been in a past game, but removed.

The only new spell I have ever seen a need for is something that would let my teleport, a blink if you will. The Illusion spells for things like making a non-existent person would be nice, but not needed. My point is I don't think we need new spells as much as the old ones. However new spells are naturally welcome.

The Illusion spells for things like making a non-existent person would be nice, but not needed.
I didn't suggest this for a gameplay Need so much as for Lore. It just annoys me that the school of Illusion doesn't have any actual Illusions in it. In character, I guess you could assume that Fear is caused by making you look terrifying, calm less like an enemy, and rage makes them look like enemies to each other, but I'd just kind of like for there to be some sort of Illusion in Illusion to satisfy the fridge logic. I mean Alteration changes stuff, Conjuration Conjures things, Destruction Destroys people, Restoration Restores you... The only odd one out that doesn't do what it says on the tin is Illusion. Neither of the effects I mentioned would really change the game, other than making Illusion do what it implies.

I'd also add Elemental Defense to Destruction. Resist Fire, 60 seconds, level dependent percentage (or just use the Augment perks.) My original idea was to add the resistance to Cloak spells, so Flame Cloak would add Fire resistance, what with being surrounded in magical flame, and all. Make it a perk, Protective Cloak instead of Runemaster to add the element's resistance to Cloak Spells aught to do it, so it's not Automatic. That way, you run into a Flame Atronach, you could drop Flame Cloak on for protection, but it'd still be immune to the damage from it.

Some Absorbtion effects would be nice, too. Absorb Heat/Cold/Electricity like Spell Absorbtion, but elementally specific for Destruction. Absorb health/Stamina would probably be Restoration, I don't know if Absorb Magicka would be too OP, maybe if it was high drain, like Wards, but you could cast it offensively against Wizards.

More Alchemic spells (By which I mean Alteration, not Apothecary) such as Transmute Iron-Steel, and more stages to Gold. Instead of casting the same spell to go from Iron to Silver to Gold, make a Novice Iron-Silver, then Apprentice Iron-Steel, and Adept Silver-Gold?

Enchanting Spells, like Firebrand to add damage temporarilly to a weapon. (As previously suggested.) Move Soul Trap over here, and a Cloak type aura for Magic Resistance. Keep the Crafting as is, except for maybe more cast on strike weapon effects. (I can think of a lot of them!)

I forgot, 2, or more Teleportation spells. The one I was thinking of before would be Line of Sight, like a Summon, only instead of bringing in something nastly from Oblivion on that spot, transporting yourself to it to cross obsticals like rivers, valleys, and the like. Master so it's 2 handed, and takes a while to charge up, so it's not too OP. (Blinking in behind someone for a backstab a la Nightcrawler/Azazel.) Also, a Teleport Other to randomly send enemies away, with a risk of running into them again later. Maybe a swap spell to exchange your position for another NPCs'? Mark/Recal, that was such a wonderful way to get around Morrowind, but make it so you can't cast it in combat, so it's less of a get out of danger free card. And an autocast, like Avoid Death, only to return you home instead of reviving you on the spot.

I actually have ideas for enough spells, perks, and effects to at least double the current system...

Squirrel_killer-

I didn't suggest this for a gameplay Need so much as for Lore. It just annoys me that the school of Illusion doesn't have any actual Illusions in it. In character, I guess you could assume that Fear is caused by making you look terrifying, calm less like an enemy, and rage makes them look like enemies to each other, but I'd just kind of like for there to be some sort of Illusion in Illusion to satisfy the fridge logic. I mean Alteration changes stuff, Conjuration Conjures things, Destruction Destroys people, Restoration Restores you... The only odd one out that doesn't do what it says on the tin is Illusion. Neither of the effects I mentioned would really change the game, other than making Illusion do what it implies.
I found that the way they made light spells Alteration to be annoying. In Oblivion they were Illusions, however if you look at the in game definition of the Illusion school it says that Illusion magic is changing mind and altering what one calls the truth, while Alteration affects the physical world.

I found that the way they made light spells Alteration to be annoying. In Oblivion they were Illusions, however if you look at the in game definition of the Illusion school it says that Illusion magic is changing mind and altering what one calls the truth, while Alteration affects the physical world.
I agree with you there. Light should still be an Illusion effect. There should be an apprentice Darkness effect too, I'd call it Shadowcloak, but that's taken. Cast on self, and I'd probably make it Constant Cast instead of duration, like Invisibility. Likewise, Detect Undead should probably be Restoration, and possibly Detect Life Illusion, assuming it only works on Intelligent creatures until you get Master of the Mind. (Actually detecting the minds of the enemy.) This would make Illusion a lot more like Psionics.

EragonSkyrim

the game needs more complex spells and not just simple firebolts, better defense spells and teleport and levitate would be good

Misdirection
Novice Illusion
50 Magicka, instant effect
Effect: Draws the attention of the enemy to the position the caster is pointing. Probably ignored if they're aggressive, and aware of your presense, but can be used like Aura Whisper. Silent, doesn't require Quiet Casting.

Mirror:
Apprentice Illusion
30 Magicka per second (Constant Cast)
Effect: Creates a copy of the caster in front, facing that mimics the equipment, appearance, and movement of the caster. Dispelled by being struck, but may draw attacks from enemies.

Doppelganger:
Adept Illusion
70 Magicka for 30 seconds.
Effect: Cast on an NPC, follower, or creature, it creates an illusory copy that follows, and mimics them. Useful for making your numbers seem greater, and draw attacks from the enemy (Away from your follower, and likely you as well.) Dispelled by being struck. Aggressive enemies will attack their own Doppelganger.

Fool's Gold
Expert Illusion
250 Magicka for 30 seconds
Effect: Creates an Illusory Septim for every one on your person, effectively doubling your personal wealth. Vendors will get angry if you let it wear off during Barter, in their shop, or even Line of site. (Make your escape before the Duration expires.) I'd make barter timed, instead of paused (like Crafting) and add dialog comments to most shopkeepers about not trusting Illusionists.

Shadow Walk
Adept Illusion
120 Magicka per second,
Effect: Shrouds the caster in shadow, making detection much less likely. (I'd also make Muffle a constant cast, but silent, of course.) Obvious out in broad daylight, so there'd be a hidden effect that makes you More detectable in that circumstance. not unlike the Ebony Mail's effect, except for the Poison Cloak. Or, it could be more like Chameleon, but the Cloak of Darkness would look cooler, especially for Nightblades. Not dispelled by attacking, or interactions, but these can still get you busted.

ChiefScalyNipples

Dictator of my bedroom
Mobilizing spells, like a Teleport (Master) Conjuration

Not to be a smartass, but teleporting would technically be alteration, just saying.

Not to be a smartass, but teleporting would technically be alteration, just saying.
In the current system, but Alteration changes physical things, not topological concepts like position. Besides, Conjuration is Teleportation, mostly from Oblivion, but it would use the same ultraviolet globe animation as Summons (and most NPC teleportations.) Also, for balance, a lot of the effects I'd be adding to Alteration, which is already packed with utility spells. One of the things I'd do is add more effects to be used outside of battle to most of the trees. (Destruction is a combat school, no way around it, but the others.)

Divine Light
Novice Restoration
65 Magicka per second
Effects: Creates a beam of pure white light that sets Undead, and Daedra on fire, with a chance to turn them. (Flame Atronachs are still immune to the damage.) Possibly requires Necromage for the turning effect. Not unlike Flames, only a laser like beam with hitscan, only damages Undead, and Daedra, even then, it's not much. Also useful for illumination, but doesn't replace other Light spells.

There's 3 kinds of spells, Instant, Duration, and Constant Cast. The latter are rarest, but I see this as a missed opportunity. Many Schools don't have a constant cast effect at all.

Auras: Like Cloaks, only Illusion, instead of Destruction. Novice Fear, Apprentice Calm, and Rally, then Adept Rage. Probably short duration (30 sec?) and high Magicka Cost.

Push:
Apprentice Alteration
160 Magicka, Instant.
Staggers enemies, just like a shield bash, or Impact. Probably pulse the Ward Animation, only bluer. Can strike 2, or 3 enemies, but they'd have to be right in front of you, and it does no damage. May have a chance to knock down, or perks for this, (Like Alteration Dual Casting) and can launch telekinetically held objects like a Gravity Gun, but a 2 handed/spell combo. Better damage on thrown objects, they should do their weight, modified by armor, of course. (Simplified coding.)

Telekinetic Grip: Telekenis for human sized enemies, and smaller, not unlike the VL power, but constant cast, expensive, and possibly Master. You can Hold someone, maybe even walk slowly around, but too high drain to work for long, and you'd need a follower, or summon to damage them. Maybe skip the charge up animation, or just make it Expert, and incredibly expensive. (Hundreds of Magicka per second.) Can't throw them like ragdolls, except maybe with Dual cast, or comboed with Push. Short range.

Spectral Arrow: Already in the game, wouldn't change a thing, other than adding a quest to actually acquire the spellbook. i've read it was supposed to be the reward for Infiltration, but I'd change it to a side project for Phinius Gestor ("Yes, would you mind helping me test a new spell I'm working on?") Or, a reward for one of the sub quests for Arniel Gane? Definitely a college only item, and far along the story arc, so you can't just pop in, and get it. Maybe down in the midden somewhere, or learned from the Auger of Dunlain?

Purity: More like a blessing, it would grant poison, and disease resistance. Probably Apprentice Restoration, constant cast, add Purify to Adept as a combined Cure Poison/Disease, but only a Chance of working, like Paralyze.

Accelerate: Alteration, makes you run faster, constant cast, no idea on the magicka cost. Anyone wanna help me out here..?

Gagarin

Divine Light
Novice Restoration
65 Magicka per second
Effects: Creates a beam of pure white light that sets Undead, and Daedra on fire, with a chance to turn them. (Flame Atronachs are still immune to the damage.) Possibly requires Necromage for the turning effect. Not unlike Flames, only a laser like beam with hitscan, only damages Undead, and Daedra, even then, it's not much. Also useful for illumination, but doesn't replace other Light spells.

Could make it divine and give it healing properties for living beings.

Could make it divine and give it healing properties for living beings.
Not unlike Healing Hands, I'd thought about it, but the level, and casting cost would go way up to balance it. I'd thought of it more as a starter/trainer spell with some offense/defensive ability, only against Undead, and Daedra. Maybe Divine Retribution, which would be like Fireball as a higher level upgrade?

Blessing: Adds Turn/Banish to your right handed weapon (doesn't have to be a Mace) for 20 seconds, or so. Only works on unenchanted weapons, much like Elemental Fury. Also Soul Blade to add Soul Trap, not unlike Oblivion Binding, or Soul Stealer, respectively.

Pileggi

Just making the destruction spells scale on harder difficulties would be nice. Even the expert spells pale in comparison to melee and archery!

Just making the destruction spells scale on harder difficulties would be nice. Even the expert spells pale in comparison to melee and archery!
Honestly, all this would take is another tier of Augment Element perks, at level 90, and maybe dialing up the effects of them. I have Mods that do this, and they work well. Also change Fortify Destruction to damage, instead of Casting Cost. I bet even the Feuer Frei Stunmer players wouldn't kvetch too much at such a patch.

I really miss the "Open ____ Lock" from Oblivion. Or the Waterwalking one.
Yeah, Unlock around maybe Adept would be real nice. Alteration, natch. I was also thinking about a Teleport Items (Conjuration) spell to empty any container, including bodies into your inventory. Might want to check for cursed items first, though. Doesn't work on loose items lying around, but that's what Telekinesis is for, right? Also, make TK capable of pulling chains, or levers.

Squirrel_killer-

Shadow Walk
Adept Illusion
120 Magicka per second,
Effect: Shrouds the caster in shadow, making detection much less likely. (I'd also make Muffle a constant cast, but silent, of course.) Obvious out in broad daylight, so there'd be a hidden effect that makes you More detectable in that circumstance. not unlike the Ebony Mail's effect, except for the Poison Cloak. Or, it could be more like Chameleon, but the Cloak of Darkness would look cooler, especially for Nightblades. Not dispelled by attacking, or interactions, but these can still get you busted.
A little costly, maybe only 40 Magicka per second.

Squirrel_killer-

Shatter Shield:
Adept/Expert Conjuration
75 Magicka
Effect: A defensive offense spell. Summons a wall directly in front of the caster which can not be destroyed and blocks all damage from passing through it for 15 seconds. It takes up a summoning slot like a Atronach, Zombie, or Dremora Lord. Explodes in a forward 120 degree arch of shards dealing physical damage (such as that done by none magic weapons and therefore cannot be absorbed by wards or for magicka) to everything in front of it once it is replaced or the duration ends. The more shards that connect the more damage it does. Capable of harming you if you get hit by the shards.

A little costly, maybe only 40 Magicka per second.
That's the idea. Since it doesn't dispell on strike, I don't want Nightblades to be able to sneak around indefinitely without first investing perks. Vampire Dust is 6 seconds, I sure wouldn't want any more than that for a level 1 Altmer. I insist on at least more than 100, so only an Altmer could even cast it at level 1 (and 15 Sneak) and it's actually pretty cheap for an Adept level spell. At the same time, the cost is low enough for it to be a viable alternative to Invisibility with a high enough Sneak to take full advantage of it. Kind of like how you can cast Runes before Fireball, but they're terribly high cost, and pretty much replaced when you earn the discount perk.

That's the real trick to improving a Magic system, or making one up from scratch. It's a system, so they all have to be balanced against each other, err one school will be so much more powerful it's the only thing anyone wants to play. otherwize, you don't have so much a system as a bunch of independant spells that don't really work together. Kind of not unlike how the current system is dominated by Impact. it's not even a spell, but I guarentee, if you post a thread asking how to play a mage, at least half the responses will be Impact, and the enchantments to make it a viable strategy.

I write magic systems, among other things. When any one part dominates all others, I consider that a sign of failure.

Shatter Shield:
Adept/Expert Conjuration
75 Magicka
Effect: A defensive offense spell. Summons a wall directly in front of the caster which can not be destroyed and blocks all damage from passing through it for 15 seconds. It takes up a summoning slot like a Atronach, Zombie, or Dremora Lord. Explodes in a forward 120 degree arch of shards dealing physical damage (such as that done by none magic weapons and therefore cannot be absorbed by wards or for magicka) to everything in front of it once it is replaced or the duration ends. The more shards that connect the more damage it does. Capable of harming you if you get hit by the shards.
Nice, like a static Flaming Familiar, I'd also make it trigerable by the enemy. Stay behind it, or Spell Absorbtion to get some of the magicka back. Too cheap, unless it has a very short (<10 second) duration, and extremely low damage. I know, Flaming Familiar is only 30, but we all know how cheap that spell is. I'd personally make it more of a stagger/knock down/ragdoll (by level) effect than damage. It can hurt too, but based on how close they are when it goes off, it may be just Fus, or all the way up to RoDah!

Squirrel_killer-

Nice, like a static Flaming Familiar, I'd also make it trigerable by the enemy. Stay behind it, or Spell Absorbtion to get some of the magicka back. Too cheap, unless it has a very short (<10 second) duration, and extremely low damage. I know, Flaming Familiar is only 30, but we all know how cheap that spell is. I'd personally make it more of a stagger/knock down/ragdoll (by level) effect than damage. It can hurt too, but based on how close they are when it goes off, it may be just Fus, or all the way up to RoDah!
I was trying to work out how to balance the damage for that cost, I was thinking about 50 shards for 1 lowly point of damage a piece.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts