What is your archer's armor and why?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
Light armor since I killed Astrid right away and got her muffled boots, but honestly, I could get away with cloth these days. I rarely get into melee with a high sneak & archery build anymore.

Saozig

Hippy
My Bosmer just wears studded light armor and sometimes a tunic with leather boots and bracers, even though with he has the Elven Armor perk. He also has some hide armor. I want something more Ranger or Woodsman style for him, but there's not a lot of options. Most higher rated light armor options are battle-type light armor, which doesn't fit this character.

He does use an Elven bow though--it's light enough to make a good ranger bow.

I kind of like going with the less-than-highest-rated armor for him. It makes me be more careful with avoiding damage. He's a really good archer anyhow, as I've been investing the most perks into that skill and he's passed the first two of Angi's tests, and he can usually take out attackers before he needs to switch to a sword and shield.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
My Bosmer Archer uses Ranger Armor from the Lore Friendly Armor Pack Mod. It's light armor.

8275390387_3084b806b7_h.jpg

I've tried just about everything, so I'll run through the list with the reasons to make your decision easier:

Heavy: Not your best bet. It can be done, but you pretty much have to build around minimizing the penalties to movement, and stealth. If you're doing an Arcane Archer (I.E Bound Bow) then Vokun, and the strongests boots/gloves you can get around Robes of Conjuration (Master when you can get them) is a great outfit.

Light: The classic choice, doesn't slow you down as much, you can sneak with it (Not as critical, because you just have to get within Range undetected) and the Wind Walker perk really helps with Stamina a lot. As an archer, your primary goal is to stay out of the Melee as much as possible, because that's where you're weakest. This means stress mobility over passive protection, that's your defence. The real reason why Light is probably your best bet can be summed up in 2 words: Fortify Archery. There's several armor peices that come with this enchantment scripted in the game. (Shrouded Cowl, Ancient Shrouded Cowl, Linwe's Hood, Krosis, and the Gauntlets of the Old Gods.) All of them are Light armor, and certain sets can boost every shot's damage by nearly half. (Linwe's Hood, or the Ancient Shrouded Cowl with Gauntlets of the Old Gods.) While it's possible to find it randomly enchanted on heavy armor, or disenchanting it (Not from any of the peices I've mentioned) to make your own, it's extremely unlikely, and/or a lot more work than just doing the Dark Brotherhood, and Cidnha Mine quests.

Unarmored: The best mobility, at the expense of any protection. If you're going for Stealth, this may actually be your best bet, because there's nothing to Muffle, and again, you only have to get within Range. I'd suggest the Shrouded Shoes/Jesters' boots for the Muffle Effect.

Alteration: Only lasts a minute, until you get Stability, and even then, you can still die when it wears off. Add to that the fact that you have to get rid of the bow to recast it, this delay increases your odds of getting killed. However, you're shooting into the melee from outside, which makes it more likely you'll get the chance to find cover, and recast. It's still clunky, so I'd advise against it unless you figure out the timing. The upshot is that the Alteration School unlocks perks for Magic Resistance, and Spell Absorption, which armor just doesn't do (Without stacking up a bunch of enchantments.)

Shield: I know, you can't use one with a bow, but that doesn't mean an Archer can't. Especially with Bound Bow, when you cast it, whatever's in your other hand goes into your inventory, and is immediately returned when you sheathe, or it times out. This makes transitions a lot quicker.

All told, there's a reason why Light Armor is the standard for Archers. Beyond that, I would suggest Robes/DPM/Boots/Gloves, or Unarmored if you trust your strategy that much. Honestly, Range, Mobility, and Stealth are better defences for Archers, Armor is the last ditch for when all that fails.

Saozig

Hippy
All told, there's a reason why Light Armor is the standard for Archers. Beyond that, I would suggest Robes/DPM/Boots/Gloves, or Unarmored if you trust your strategy that much. Honestly, Range, Mobility, and Stealth are better defences for Archers, Armor is the last ditch for when all that fails.

As you pointed out, using a bow means you have to de-equip to cast a restoration spell or drink a potion and then re-equip, so avoiding damage frees an archer/ranger to focus on what he/she does, thus makes them a more effective archer. So i completely agree there's other ways of avoiding damage other than armor, and typically those--like range, mobility and stealth--work more in an archer/ranger type's favor than loading up on armor.

With my Bosmer, his armor rating isn't going up very quickly since he hardly takes damage, but his Sneak and Archery are very high for his overall level. Also when he has to use shield and sword, I focus on blocking, and his blocking level is pretty good too. So investing in armor isn't a priority. Also, since I'm not using any magic with him other that the basic healing spells, I'm using level points mostly for health and stamina. Right now, his magicka's at 120, while his health and stamina are around 200 each. Not sure how this will work as he levels up and faces harder opponents, but we'll see.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
Light Armor with some way to resist magic. The armor is more in case I get pinned down in a closed in dungeon which I am unfamiliar with or if I am fighting enemies at range and cannot dodge every arrow and spell sent at me at once. But the main tactic is always avoid getting hit in the first place. Wind Walker is the main reason I use Light Armor for many builds however.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
As you pointed out, using a bow means you have to de-equip to....drink a potion...
You don't need to unequip your bow to use a potion. Potions don't require equipping to use as you can't even equip them. What you can do is hotkey a stack of healing potions of the same kind which means that not only do you not need to unequip your bow to heal but you can heal without interrupting combat by calling up your inventory menu.

My archer relies far more on mobility, rapid rate of fire using Steady Hand and Quick Shot perks, the stagger effect from Power Shot, as well as the paralysis enchantment on her bow and Ice Form shout than she does on her armor to outright prevent damage but it is nice to have the armor as a final backup even if it's not needed that often, especially since there are no negative consequences since she has a Muffle enchantment on the boots and the Unhindered Light Armor perk.

llhypnotikll

Xbox Gamertag: llHyPNoTiKll
I like to wear the forsworn set when archer hunting. nothing better than a deer getting sniped by a goofy dude with antlers on his helmet lol

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
My archer wears a conglomeration of Thieves Guild Master's Armor, Linwe's Armor, and I think a piece or two of Nightengale Armor.

I wish some of those mods were available for XBox somehow.

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
I actually use Heavy Armor when going out exploring. My archer wears Iron Boots, Gauntlets, Armor and a Mage Hood for show. It looks rather cool. Helps protect my archer when he is getting overwhelmed. I don't use any other weapons except a bow so the Heavy Armor is a Godsend. For wandering around the Holds and conducting business, I use simple clothes and cowls with Fine boots.

Volanere

Grand Magister
I use heavy dragon bone armor. I use the steed stone that way i can carry a ton and have no movement penalty, and when people get up close (which is rarely) i switch to my two handed battleaxe. I use dual enchants on my armor to where i mostly put bow do 40% extra damage on any piece of armor that i can that way i can deal some massive damage on a daedric bow.

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
I wore Nightingale armor for a while, but now I just wear whatever armor I want. My current armor is... wow, I can't even remember... I think it was a mix of some ebony and Carved Nordic.

thatwudbryan

yet another skyrim enthusiast
I just use the end Thieves Guild reward armor Nightingale and Guild master armor for my main Bosmer sneak archer. Hard to see someone from a shadow wearing all black I'd imagine

ULT1MATENEMESIS

custom smithed dragon scale armor with health and stamina +74, dragon scale bracers +48% archery +44 carry weight, dragon scale boots with +56% resist frost and fire for fighting dragons and another set with muffle and carry weight for dungeons, penitus occulatus helmet with +48% archery +74 magicka, aetherial crown with steed stone in it + atronach stone on my character, necklace with 48% archery +74 health, ring with 48% archery +74 stamina. Armor rating 747, absorb spells 80%, resist spells that werent blocked 45%, advanced dwarven crossbow 659 damage, carry weight 688 lbs normal. almost nothing can hurt me on master level difficulty with the exception of the shout used by reverant dragons.

Dallas-Arbiter

Just some plain old Ancient Nord armor, but it's a mash up of the male and female Ancient Nord Armor for the UNPB body, Male top half, part of the female bottom half, with a ratty looking cloth loin cloth, the male version boots and gauntlets, and the male version of the helmet too, which you can see in my avatar. Once I get around to Yngol's Barrow, I'll have his helmet. I don't actually need armor, Enemies never get close enough. I just like the way it looks.

jaomile

Evil-MasterMind-armor-by-Zerofrost-Imgur6.jpeg

This us the armor I use for my Archer/Mage assassin (main skills Light Armor, Archery-most perks go here, Destruction and Illusion but just a few perk ponts,Smithing, Sneak and One Handed)

Race is High Elf

Aliurtuq

This is my first character, so I try to keep her well-rounded in battle.

Nord for the purpose of frost resistance.
Different accessories for different situations:
Necklace of Waning Fire for 30% fire resistance. So, I have some defense against dragons.
Amulet of Talos to reduce time between shouts, though I usually use the fire breath once.
Necklace of the Extreme Squire for light armor increase of 22 pts.
Ring of the Minor Squire for light armor increase of 12 pts.
I did have The Warrior Stone, but I switched to The Thief Stone.

I smithed all of my armor with the Potion of Fortify Smithing to Legendary, except the shield.
Glass armor 170, enchanted it to increase light armor by six points.
Glass boots 63, I have to enchant.
Glass gauntlets 67, I enchanted to do 15% more bow damage.
Glass helmet 76, I enchanted to enable underwater breathing.
Glass shield 78, block 25% more damage.

I switch back and forth between
Glass sword 31 &
Glass bow 43.
Daedric, Dwarven, Elven, & Glass arrows.

Simple enough to pick off the weak ones and then back up and let Janessa do the dirty work with my warhammer, and I sit in the back and pick them off mid-battle, if I don't get my sword and bash them with my shield before they attack.

I geared up my companion as well,
even though she can't die, she can fight longer this way.
I made her legendary glass armor and
enchanted her helmet to breath underwater,
so I don't lose her in a lake or ocean, again.
And I gave her my Ring of Eminent Archery for 30% damage,
and my Necklace of Sure Grip for 20% two-handed attacks.

I found a single Daedric arrow and gave it to Janessa, and picked them off of dead bodies for myself.

So, basically, I pick off the little ones, lure the big ones, back off, let Janessa tender the meat, and I go in for the kill. XD

Hope this helps <3