What is the point of feeding for Vampires?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

CaptMorgan72

From what I understand, you no longer are treated as a monster at level 4, only if you shapeshift into a vampire lord. Since you get stronger when you don't feed, why feed? The only thing I can think of is you will be "slightly" stronger under the sun, but not much. So why feed?

abadeer

I never feed anymore , I mean yeah when i was doing missions for the Dark Brotherhood and did tons of traveling having to feed at inoportune times kinda sucked " no pun intended" but its part of being a vampire . And now there isnt much use for feeding , you just get weaker. To bad the game doesnt have a Vampire spell like in the original Blood Omen game called " Masquerade " Where you could cast it to have the appearance of being normal when your a stage 4 but has a one day usage , that way you atleast still have to feed. But now being stage 4 means nothing .

CaptMorgan72

That's too bad, it's what I thought then. Feeding is completely pointless. They have it totally backwards, feeding should make you stronger, not weaker. There is no incentive to feed as the system stands.

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
Does anyone know if its possible to infect your companion with Vampirism and watch them slowly turn while still remaining under your command?

Adam Warlock

Does anyone know if its possible to infect your companion with Vampirism and watch them slowly turn while still remaining under your command?
followers don`t catch any kind of disease that I`m aware of , including vampirism .
if the follower is also your spouse there is a scripted event that can infect them , I believe

One thing I haven`t heard reported or tried myself is to ask a follower to drink from the Bloodspring.
If that doesn`t do it , then probably only a computer console command will

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
followers don`t catch any kind of disease that I`m aware of , including vampirism .
if the follower is also your spouse there is a scripted event that can infect them , I believe

One thing I haven`t heard reported or tried myself is to ask a follower to drink from the Bloodspring.
If that doesn`t do it , then probably only a computer console command will
That would be awesome if I could make my spouse a vampire. Might give me a reason to get one.

Adam Warlock

That would be awesome if I could make my spouse a vampire. Might give me a reason to get one.
join the vampires and after a few side quests are completed , Vingalmo should offer a quest for you to turn your spouse

Sean

lost somewhere
join the vampires and after a few side quests are completed , Vingalmo should offer a quest for you to turn your spouse
Unless that spouse is a werewolf.
If that is the case then you can't finish the quest.

Also, you can never actually turn any NPC into a vampire (due to a bug). The game will never change the race of a NPC, so you must do it yourself, or the NPC will always look the same, but will just have the new dialogue of being a vampire.

Feeding is pointless, unless you don't have any resist fire potions and are about to fight a dragon.

Side note- I seem to recall a mod for Morrowind where if you were a vampire, you could make other NPCs into vampires and they were loyal to you, following you around and doing as you commanded.
That was pretty awesome.
Too bad I'll never see that in Skyrim seeing as how I'm on Xbox :sadface:

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer

Is this part of Dawnguard? Do you HAVE to side with the vampires to be able to do this or is there also a way to do it if you sided with the Dawnguard as well. I hear there is a way to become a Vampire Lord no matter what side you join, so I'm hoping its the same way.

Sean

lost somewhere
Is this part of Dawnguard? Do you HAVE to side with the vampires to be able to do this or is there also a way to do it if you sided with the Dawnguard as well. I hear there is a way to become a Vampire Lord no matter what side you join, so I'm hoping its the same way.
Nope.
Vampire missions are only for the vampires, same with the Vampire Lord ability (unless you mod).

Crooksin

Glue Sniffer
Nope.
Vampire missions are only for the vampires, same with the Vampire Lord ability (unless you mod).

"During the quest Chasing Echoes she will offer to turn you into a Vampire Lord. After completing the quests Kindred Judgement she can be asked to turn you into a Vampire Lord at any time.
If you side with the Dawnguard, Serena can be asked to cure herself of vampirism. However, there is little advantage to this as she will lose her ability to create Bloodcursed arrows and she will no longer be able to turn you into a Vampire Lord."

Taken right from the Skyrim wiki
Skyrim:Serana - UESPWiki

You can turn into a vampire lord on both sides by asking serena, however rarely on PC a glitch might happen where you wont have the proper dialogue with serena that will turn you into a vampire, even after you have finished dawnguard storyline.. happens on rare cases.
You can turn your spouse into a vampire only if you have sided with the vampires, Feren or the other vampires will give you the quest, i believe the quest is called the Gift..
Youre spouse wont transform into a vampire lord though, and his\her appearance wont change as far as i know.

CaptMorgan72

Serena proved that you don't need to feed as a Vampire. She went centuries without feeding and never talks about being thirsty. Maybe blood is like a drug addiction to the vampires and not needed to live. Vampires are undead after all, they have no need for food or water. So it looks to me that the only reason to feed is to keep your weakness to fire at 20% and -15 for health, magic and stamina during the day. Most of those weaknesses can be canceled with enchantments at level 1 vampirism, so yeah, I guess that works. Besides, I finally can feed on an awake person now like a vampire should be able to, I don't want to waste that animation.

JClarke1953

Nope, and if you're a Vampire, you probably need to see it to completion. I completed all of the "perks" for Vampirism, and saw little results or gain with it, so I had my char "cured". That was a week or so ago. Now after calling Bethsoft about the Dawnguard still chasing me (apparently after the choice is made, there's no turning back as far as their ambushes). So, I'm probably going to get "bitten", complete the perk tree, and finish that part of being/doing as a Vampire. Especially since I have the Bow and Arrow's needed.

Neriad13

Premium Member
Serena proved that you don't need to feed as a Vampire. She went centuries without feeding and never talks about being thirsty.

Personally, I think she feeds on the player character when you're not looking.

Adam Warlock

Personally, I think she feeds on the player character when you're not looking.
she does mention her thirst just once as a reason to get the cure when in discussion about her plans after Harkon`s death(dawnguard faction)
also noted that she would drink a Blood Potion to heal while she was still a vampire

Neriad13

Premium Member
she does mention her thirst just once as a reason to get the cure when in discussion about her plans after Harkon`s death(dawnguard faction)
also noted that she would drink a Blood Potion to heal while she was still a vampire

And in the end, I just roleplay that I'm purposefully feeding her so she doesn't have to feed on townspeople we pass by or bother Isran any more than she already does. I don't think he'd be too happy with her if she caused trouble or took to munching on the Dawnguard. As for what she did when I was a vampire for a short period of time, I have no idea and I think I'd prefer not to know.

JClarke1953

Well, I just asked Serana to make me a Vampire again, and was prepared to have to go thru all the perk acquirement's again. Well, I didn't! Not complaining, no sir! But it sure is nice to NOT have to go thru all that again! Some Dawnguard ambushed me at Dawnstar, The Dark Brotherhood's new sanctuary. I morphed into a Vampire Lord, and easily knocked them off. Then I checked my perk tree to see how far I needed to go to get to the first perk choice, and saw they were all filled! So I guess once a Vampire, always a Vampire. Which I guess is why the Dawnguard kept after me, even tho' I got "cured".