What is going to happen to us console players when Online comes out?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Reaper0021

Steam: Reaper0021
Please do not read below if you may be easily offended. Otherwise, just simply highlight the text.

Here is a link that says different. I couldn't find the page those stats are from either. Sadly, I couldn't find raw numbers/graphs on google.
I don't where that site get their stats, but they are a a lot more PCs sold each year than they're could possibly be consoles. There's also very few accurate ways to measure how many PCs are sold each year with the specific intent of gaming, and even it they would be very costly (studies). Measuring how many gaming PCs are sold will do little justice since many are custom built. Measuring the number of high end video cards neither because of clusters. If you could post the specific link where you found this I would be very much interested in reading it.

Where is that spoiler thing when you need it?
My company conducted this same study. It factors in casual PC users, home owners, college students, etc. Yes, there are a lot more PC's sold than consoles. But, the demographics of the users is very wide and broad. So, let's say there are 100 million PC's sold. Only about 13%-18% of them are dedicated to gaming only. That's not a very big market. My company has been making casual PC's, gaming PC's, and with our purchase of a certain other PC company that folded into ours, we now produce some major gaming PC's that are...out of this world (hint). We sell many many many more casual, affordable PC's than we do our gaming set-ups. I'm sorry but as someone on the "Inside", I can tell you this is not a 100% accurate survey.

Smarty

My company conducted this same study. It factors in casual PC users, home owners, college students, etc. Yes, there are a lot more PC's sold than consoles. But, the demographics of the users is very wide and broad. So, let's say there are 100 million PC's sold. Only about 13%-18% of them are dedicated to gaming only. That's not a very big market. My company has been making casual PC's, gaming PC's, and with our purchase of a certain other PC company that folded into ours, we now produce some major gaming PC's that are...out of this world (hint). We sell many many many more casual, affordable PC's than we do our gaming set-ups. I'm sorry but as someone on the "Inside", I can tell you this is not a 100% accurate survey.

No but it does give a general idea, which is interesting nonetheless. Thanks.

Reaper0021

No but it does give a general idea, which is interesting nonetheless. Thanks.
It is an okay guideline to use for raw basic data, but the results are a bit convoluted. Never the less, if you ever get a console, and get online with it, you'll find a whole new world of gaming awaiting for you. I've been using PC's of one type or another since 1979-1980. I'm as diehard as can be with my PC gaming. However, after playing X-Box 360 online with just friends, it's a great experience that shouldn't be missed. Same applies to PS3 gaming. They are all unique and a blast.

Smarty

It is an okay guideline to use for raw basic data, but the results are a bit convoluted. Never the less, if you ever get a console, and get online with it, you'll find a whole new world of gaming awaiting for you. I've been using PC's of one type or another since 1979-1980. I'm as diehard as can be with my PC gaming. However, after playing X-Box 360 online with just friends, it's a great experience that shouldn't be missed. Same applies to PS3 gaming. They are all unique and a blast.

Consoles have their uses, that's not what I was arguing about, but I had very bad experiences playing online with people I don't know in real life.

I already own a ps3, it was a gift from my ex, don't use it for much these days except playing Left4Dead 2 with a couple real life friends in my living room.

Rainbow

Criminal Scum
Consoles have their uses, that's not what I was arguing about, but I had very bad experiences playing online with people I don't know in real life.

I already own a ps3, it was a gift from my ex, don't use it for much these days except playing Left4Dead 2 with a couple real life friends in my living room.
Not to be off-topic, but I don't recall L4D2 getting a PS3 release...?

Rainbow

Criminal Scum
Nah, I already have a 360 :p

Uh...to stay on topic, I don't see anything drastic happening to the series after Online comes out. I know plenty of people who love TES and aren't interested in Online at all. They do overlap at a point, but I feel that the fans are separated enough on single or multiplayer to where single player will carry on.

Reaper0021

Nah, I already have a 360 :p

Uh...to stay on topic, I don't see anything drastic happening to the series after Online comes out. I know plenty of people who love TES and aren't interested in Online at all. They do overlap at a point, but I feel that the fans are separated enough on single or multiplayer to where single player will carry on.
Well, just quickly looking at the numbers (Googling several sources, this may or may not be accurate), Bethesda has made roughly...$513,400,000.00 off of Skyrim (11.7 million copies sold of which 3.7 million is PC). Something like 68% of that is console sales. That's not counting any of the DLC's that have been sold...so conservatively add another...oh I don't know say $200,000,000.00 on top of that. No, Bethesda isn't stupid. They may release games with bugs in them, or make mistakes with a version on a certain platform, but they know how to add and they do know they have a nice cash cow going.

***Note***
TESO MMORPG is being developed by another publisher. It will coincide with the single player games. Rather, let me say coexist. This won't affect us getting games like Skyrim. Bethesda isn't going to go into one market and forsake another where they are making money. You people need to stop worrying. You'll still get your excellent single player games.

Dagmar will hopefully post and get some more accurate numbers for you all. I'm thinking though, from what I know of her, she will agree with me on some points if not all.

Jarrad

After reading most of this post, you guys and gals ( who know much more about the companies behind TES than I do ) have given me renewed hope that this great franchise will continue on console in a big way, thanks gang.

Adam Belmont

Well, just quickly looking at the numbers (Googling several sources, this may or may not be accurate), Bethesda has made roughly...$513,400,000.00 off of Skyrim (11.7 million copies sold of which 3.7 million is PC). Something like 68% of that is console sales. That's not counting any of the DLC's that have been sold...so conservatively add another...oh I don't know say $200,000,000.00 on top of that. No, Bethesda isn't stupid. They may release games with bugs in them, or make mistakes with a version on a certain platform, but they know how to add and they do know they have a nice cash cow going.

***Note***
TESO MMORPG is being developed by another publisher. It will coincide with the single player games. Rather, let me say coexist. This won't affect us getting games like Skyrim. Bethesda isn't going to go into one market and forsake another where they are making money. You people need to stop worrying. You'll still get your excellent single player games.

Dagmar will hopefully post and get some more accurate numbers for you all. I'm thinking though, from what I know of her, she will agree with me on some points if not all.
I couldn't agree more, as I said in my last post, the gaming companies profits a lot with consoles and will never ignore console players. They could launch the online game for console or just continue the way it is, single player for both engines and online for pc.
I'm a pc player but I'm not interested in TESO. Single player games already takes all the time I have for gaming.

ShangTsung

Oh sorry, did you miss the part were I was apologizing? Because that's clearly what trolls do. Read my posts carefully, did I expect this much controversy? I'm new to online forums in general, and I honestly thought my opinion would be respected instead of being made fun of. But then again the standard seems very low on these forums. So saying that people lack judgment for paying more for their console plus computer than buying a gaming pc to play same the same game makes me a pc nazi? Please don't bring up that argument about context, this is skyrimforums, and it's getting very childish.
childish indeed.. lol i'll say one thing about you sir, you are by far the biggest hypocrite i have ever had the displeasure of meeting online, nearly everything you have accused others of doing you are in the front line demonstrating yourself.. some of the very basic words which even a 5 year old would use to describe you such as "childish" you use as if it describes someone "other" than you, which don't get me wrong thats hillarious if you're trying to be funny, but you sir are actually attempting to be serious which only serves to make you look even more ridiculous..

Gowsh

Old Fart
Please do not read below if you may be easily offended. Otherwise, just simply highlight the text.

Here is a link that says different. I couldn't find the page those stats are from either. Sadly, I couldn't find raw numbers/graphs on google.
I don't where that site get their stats, but they are a a lot more PCs sold each year than they're could possibly be consoles. There's also very few accurate ways to measure how many PCs are sold each year with the specific intent of gaming, and even it they would be very costly (studies). Measuring how many gaming PCs are sold will do little justice since many are custom built. Measuring the number of high end video cards neither because of clusters. If you could post the specific link where you found this I would be very much interested in reading it.

Where is that spoiler thing when you need it?

The stats were for Skyrim shipments by platform, not the number of hardware units sold.

Sorry if i was unclear.

kyleekay

Are we gonna go extinct? are we going to be in skyrim forever? are we gonna quit to 1st person shooters? omg im scared

This may be too forward thinking, buuuut... I'm going to continue playing my console games, and then add ESO onto the list of games that I play. :eek:

baws.jpg

Rodrrrigo

Khajiit shadow walker
well, can anyone tell me the aprox. price on a PC that could handle ESO and Skyrim smoothly on max graphics?

kyleekay

well, can anyone tell me the aprox. price on a PC that could handle ESO and Skyrim smoothly on max graphics?

I'm not sure what the system requirements are going to be for ESO, but I am interested in this computer. If I'm reading requirements correctly, it should handle Skyrim smoothly and it won't break the bank at its base price. Plus you can always upgrade from the base model. Here's the link and the screenshot is below: http://www.alienware.com/Landings/desktops.aspx

gamingpc.PNG

ShangTsung

one that could handle Skyrim with as little frame drop as a console can? honestly you're talking atleast a thousand.. my pc cost a good 1400$ with the highest video card i could find and i can't even get postal 2 to play without some frame drops here an there, you'd be better off searching around online than asking in a forum.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
I doubt they would discontinue the Single player TES. The vanilla game made them around 630 million, add in download contents probably a billion maybe a bit less.

No one would simply walk away from that kind of money, especially game creators. If they can make money, they will ride the brand name until it no longer makes a penny.

Reaper0021

one that could handle Skyrim with as little frame drop as a console can? honestly you're talking atleast a thousand.. my pc cost a good 1400$ with the highest video card i could find and i can't even get postal 2 to play without some frame drops here an there, you'd be better off searching around online than asking in a forum.
We sell systems at my company for as little as $699.99 that can run Skyrim on high-Ultra. Easily (we have tested them in-house with Skyrim and FRAPS running along with our own proprietary software for measuring FPS, Artifact amounts, etc.). It's all about how you configure your computer for gaming as well. Basically, you fine tune it for gaming and dump the extra unneeded crap that is not required for gaming. Some people say you can build one yourself cheaper and yeah sometimes you can...but you can't warranty your own work. We sell you a system and it messes up, we fix it at our full cost, and if its going to take us awhile to fix your system, we send you a loaner system of equal horsepower so to speak so you can game and whatnot while we fix yours. You build it yourself, you fix it yourself and warranty it yourself.

You can also call my company and tell them what you want to spend, and what games you play, and that you will not spend a penny more than what you said...we will still custom build it for you. At that exact price point and it will be ready out of the box to blast ass.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts