What if Hermann Goering would have followed the path of Paarthurnax?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

CaptMorgan72

For those that do not know, Hermann Goering was Adolf Hitler's right hand man. He was responsible for major atrocities during World War 2. What if he believed that he received an order from God to help the Allies and betray Hiter. What if he taught the Allies Nazi war secrets that would help turn the tide of the war? Then he goes into hiding, perhaps on the top of a mountain. Would his crimes be forgivable because he chose the path of redemption, or should he answer for what he did despite betraying his former leader?

Cylos

The Last Dragonborn
Seclusion on top of a mountain, no material joy, constant reflection on his actions... Sounds a lot like how prisons work. Paarthurnax took this action for millennia, so it could be argued Paarthurnax served a prison sentence.
I understand that some may believe that punishment by death is suitable, but that proves that we've learnt nothing from the actions of the past. Punishment by death is the type of irrationality and emotional decision making that caused fascism.
To answer the question, if Goering chose solitude and took it on, I would not find his crime forgivable but I would find that he has answered for it. I've studied the holocaust and Nazi Germany in great detail, it just solidifies the necessity of a rational reaction to the actions of the accused.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
1) Yes, I'm sure we know who Hermann Goering is, or at least we should unless the school we attended was "Home" or extremely substandard
2) Why are we back on the "Let's compare with the Nazi's" kick again?
3) No - his crimes would not be forgivable, regardless. It may mitigate the eventual punishment, but punishment is still required.

What is the point? Are we debating whether or not we should kill Paarthy again? My take is - in the long run, it really doesn't matter. It doesn't have a material impact on the game although it may affect certain RP opportunities, options and choices.

CaptMorgan72

1) I imagine there are plenty who do not know who Hermann Goering was.
2) I wasn't aware that the comparison of the actions of Paarthurnax and a what if scenario of a Nazi officer was used before.
3) So you believe forgiveness is not attainable and punishment is required. What kind of punishment?

The point of the thread is to spark an intellectual discussion using real world scenarios with what Paarthurnax did. I am curious if people would react the same way to a real person that has committed atrocities, but has sought redemption. I have read so many threads in which people have refused to kill Paarthurnax because he expressed remorse and helped those that he once slaughtered with no remorse. Would most people have done the same for Osama Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, Mussolini, Stalin, etc.

Daelon DuLac

1) I imagine there are plenty who do not know who Hermann Goering was.
2) I wasn't aware that the comparison of the actions of Paarthurnax and a what if scenario of a Nazi officer was used before.
3) So you believe forgiveness is not attainable and punishment is required. What kind of punishment?

The point of the thread is to spark an intellectual discussion using real world scenarios with what Paarthurnax did. I am curious if people would react the same way to a real person that has committed atrocities, but has sought redemption. I have read so many threads in which people have refused to kill Paarthurnax because he expressed remorse and helped those that he once slaughtered with no remorse. Would most people have done the same for Osama Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, Mussolini, Stalin, etc.
Perhaps if they had expressed remorse. While not an excuse for the actions or for the need for punishment, it may have mitigated the punishment circumstances.

Rimfaxe96

He wouldn't have turned away, nothing would have stopped any of them.
The people Hitler chose to serve him were those who would follow him willingly anywhere, even to death. None of them had strong personalities, and they'd rather go kill Paarthurnax after finding out he's against Hitler than anything else.

I have read so many threads in which people have refused to kill Paarthurnax because he expressed remorse and helped those that he once slaughtered with no remorse. Would most people have done the same for Osama Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, Mussolini, Stalin, etc.

Maybe if there was any more detailed information given than "commited great atrocities against mankind", and hadn't he just waited for thousands of years on top of a mountain to help me save the entire world, the entire universe; yes, in that case I would have killed him.
But none of these disgusting people you name have ever done anything similar. They didn't stand strong for anything, not even their own principles, and even less people trusted them to any higher degree. They served their own whims, and that's it.

Don't know why the fantasy world and real world should be mixed up though. I can only imagine the US and Russia going on a conquer spree to Tamriel after great oil reserves are found and confirmed. :rolleyes:

Ten Foot Bunny

I ♥ Harry Nilsson
Someone fudged the books - Immelmann shot down more planes than Goering. It's a conspiracy.

(Wait, what was the question?)

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
I usually kill him but it's less about moral choices and more about needing a dragon soul when dragons don't seem to be spawning for whatever reason. In either scenario he is expendable imo. More weak willed than evil, but expendable nonetheless.

Daelon DuLac

I usually kill him but it's less about moral choices and more about needing a dragon soul when dragons don't seem to be spawning for whatever reason. In either scenario he is expendable imo. More weak willed than evil, but expendable nonetheless.
I agree. While I like Parthy in general, he's kind of bedraggled and doesn't really serve much of a purpose other than teaching me the particular shout. Maybe I'll kill him this time, but not because of the Blades, just because. I can easily do the entire thing without the blades anyhow except on a strictly acquaintence basis anyhow.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts