What are you playing? Build thread.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Dough VA Keen

Guys, I need a build. This is what appeals (and what doesn't) to me;
Im ok with sneaking.
I have never done melee (warrior not assassin) so i interested.
I LOVE MAGIC.
ENCHANTING > ALCHEMY > SMITHING.
im average with a bow.

Any help would be apreciated, im also interested in the perfect dragon hunting build.
PLEASE RESPOND.

ShadowGambit

Sniper Mage
1- Archery
2- Sneak
3- Illusion
4- Light Armor
5- Alchemy
... 6- Enchanting

Eldritch DarkNight (Necromancer in Heavy Armor)
1- Conjuration
2- Heavy Armor
3- Destruction
4- One handed
5- Enchanting
... 6-Smithing

I have 23 characters currently. My game is way different than yours, due to the gameplay overhauls I am currently using. Some are things such as class systems, combat improvements, etc.

Name- Nakto Guvano
Occupation- Nightingale of Nocturnal, Thieves' Guild Master
Primary Skills- Archery, Light Armor
Secondary Skills- Sneak Lockpicking

OVERVIEW- He is a very talented thief, and an agent of Nocturnal. He only serves for the personal gain recieved in the end. He works only to gain money, and become known. He is not known to be Dragonborn(yet, due to AS mods), but is a very influential figure in the province of Skyrim.

Sorry for overkill. I just had to put out basic overview of my current character I am playing.

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
Being a mage is the hardest to level up I believe. Or it's slower to level up in comparison to Warrior or Thief based.

ShadowGambit

Well, Epic Nord, that's not really true. It depends on the Spell type you want to level.

Weapon and armor skill takes awhile to level. because they level ONLY WHEN YOU ARE IN COMBAT. And weapon skill take half as forever to level, because the level increase depends on the number of Hits, not the amount of damage done.
FYI, if you dual wield iron daggers, you will increase you One Handed skill faster. First because daggers swing faster, so more hits for the same amount of time. 2nd, if you do that on an essential NPC, it will take longer for him to kneel...

In the other hand, with Spells like Muffle (Illusion), Detect Life (Alteration), Telekinesis (Alteration), you can level ANYTIME ANYWHERE.

There is also a trick in Conjuration: you need an atronach to summon and a bound weapon. Summon your atronach, summon your weapon and attack your atronach with your weapon. As soon as your atronach becomes hostile to you, you will increase your conjuration level TWICE: one for the atronach, one for the weapon. The ice on the cake is that it will also increase your weapon skill a little :). Repeat it after your atronach dies. You can do that anytime, anywhere also.

For destruction and restoration, as far as I know, they don't have spells that can help you anytime anywhere though. But 3 out of 5 is already a good number I think.

So for a sneaky archer like me, who uses mostly Illusion/Conjuration/Alteration spells, the mage side of my build leveled faster than my combat side (except for the Faendal "abuse").

Epic Keith

Well, Epic Nord, that's not really true. It depends on the Spell type you want to level.

Weapon and armor skill takes awhile to level. because they level ONLY WHEN YOU ARE IN COMBAT. And weapon skill take half as forever to level, because the level increase depends on the number of Hits, not the amount of damage done.
FYI, if you dual wield iron daggers, you will increase you One Handed skill faster. First because daggers swing faster, so more hits for the same amount of time. 2nd, if you do that on an essential NPC, it will take longer for him to kneel...

In the other hand, with Spells like Muffle (Illusion), Detect Life (Alteration), Telekinesis (Alteration), you can level ANYTIME ANYWHERE.

There is also a trick in Conjuration: you need an atronach to summon and a bound weapon. Summon your atronach, summon your weapon and attack your atronach with your weapon. As soon as your atronach becomes hostile to you, you will increase your conjuration level TWICE: one for the atronach, one for the weapon. The ice on the cake is that it will also increase your weapon skill a little :). Repeat it after your atronach dies. You can do that anytime, anywhere also.

For destruction and restoration, as far as I know, they don't have spells that can help you anytime anywhere though. But 3 out of 5 is already a good number I think.

So for a sneaky archer like me, who uses mostly Illusion/Conjuration/Alteration spells, the mage side of my build leveled faster than my combat side (except for the Faendal "abuse").
Thanks for the conjuration trick. I usually cast Bound Sword and then sheath and repeat the process

ShadowGambit

Little advise for the conjuration trick:

As in all conjuration, you will increase your conjuration level depending on the spell you are casting ONLY IN COMBAT SITUATION.

I would advise NOT to take Mystic Binding yet, neither put anypoint in Overdraw or Armsman (depending if you use the bound sword or teh bound bow) yet.

The reason is that your atronach HAS TO TURN HOSTILE AGAINST YOU. If you one-shot kill it it wouldn't work. EVen if you 2-3 shots kill it. It takes at least 4 hits for your atronach to turn against you. So my advice would be to REDUCE your damage output.

Epic Keith

Little advise for the conjuration trick:

As in all conjuration, you will increase your conjuration level depending on the spell you are casting ONLY IN COMBAT SITUATION.

I would advise NOT to take Mystic Binding yet, neither put anypoint in Overdraw or Armsman (depending if you use the bound sword or teh bound bow) yet.

The reason is that your atronach HAS TO TURN HOSTILE AGAINST YOU. If you one-shot kill it it wouldn't work. EVen if you 2-3 shots kill it. It takes at least 4 hits for your atronach to turn against you. So my advice would be to REDUCE your damage output.

Ohhh. Man thanks for the trick! I will use it!

Honeyderp

I'm planning on making a pacifist

Imperial
1.illusion
2.restoration
3.running like a little girl squealing
4.alchemy
5.none
Ull see there's no armour cuz armours for pussies

I recently lost all my save data, so I currently have only one toon...

Spellsword - Altmer
Guardian Stone - Lord Stone

Combat Skills:
- One-handed - 10 Perks
- Light Armor - 10 Perks
- Conjuration - 13 Perks
- Destruction - 4 Perks
- Restoration - 8 perks
- Alteration - 9 Perks

Other Skills:
- Smithing - 5 perks
- Enchanting - 10 Perks
- Alchemy - 11 Perks

Perks layout:
- Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!

Attributes:
- Health: 350
- Magicka: 500
- Stamina: 300

Spells:
- Lightning Storm, Storm Thrall, Close Wounds, Ebonyflesh

Gear:
Helm: Glass Helmet - (Fortify Destruction, Fortify Restoration)
Chest: Glass Armor - (Fortify Destruction, Fortify Conjuration)
Gloves: Glass Gauntlets - (Fortify One-handed, Fortify Light Armor)
Boots: Glass Boots - (Fortify One-handed, Muffle)
Ring: Gold Diamond Ring - (Fortify Destruction, Fortify One-handed)
Necklace: Gold Diamond Necklace - (Fortify Destruction, Fortify One-handed)
Weapon: Glass Sword - (Shock Damage, Absorb Magicka)

ShadowGambit

Looking at your crafting skills and at your light armor skills, you WON'T need the Fortify light armor enchantment.

You will reach the 567 armor rating cap easily with any light armor, even the leather.
You have to get +29% smithing gear pieces and +147% smithing potion though.

Save the spot of Fortify Light Armor for something else. Carry weight is always useful.

VKitKat

Most Commonly known as The Dragonborn
My Main:
Name: Kat
Race: Nord werewolf
Level: 54
Class: Custom class
Specializations: Restoration, Enchanting, One-handed, block, archery,light armor, sneak, pickpocket, lock-picking, speech, alchemy, illusion
Class Description: A pure thief, mixed in with some necromancy, shes pretty much a hotshot and jack of all trades
Back Story: Kat grew up in the province of Cyrodil, right in the Imperial City. She was a happy girl as a child, she had a loving mother, Danica, and a hard-working father by the name of Kusten. Her mother was a skillful thief, making Kat twice the thief she already was. She would steel her mother's coin purse to by ingredients for her alchemy experiments, which by the age of 6 she got the hang of. At the age of 16, her parents mysteriously died at the second it hit midnight, on her birthday. So she managed on her own for a year or two, in that small little house in the city, steeling any supplies from stores and unsuspecting victims who passed by her. One day, she was caught steeling some alchemy ingredients for her special brew. There she was put in jail for 3 years until she was let go. By then, though, someone had already moved all her stuff out of her old house and moved in themselves. So she was left with nothing, only a pair of clothes and a little coin purse containing only 50 septims. She used them all for food, then she officially became a beggar on the street. She rarely got a chance to pickpocket without some guards watching her carefully. Then one day, while she was begging, of course,she started convincing people to give her septims by saying straight-up good lies. She became a master in speech. Then she once pick-pocketed an old rusty iron sword, then learned too sneak into the guard training area on their lunch break and practice with it. Then, she became so good at her skills, she picked up a bow and naturally started shooted bullseyes at every target. Then, she even found a pair of imperial light armor, which she wore all the time. She joined then became a preist of kynareth at a temple dedicated to the great goddess. There she learned to heal others, mend their wounds... Then one day, she decided "it was time to move to Skyrim". So as she crossed the border, she saw men in blue light armor walking near the border, guarding a strange man. Suddenly, imperial soldiers came rushing towards us, and after that hard battle, she remembered nothing up til the point a dragon attacked when she was being beheaded. When she escaped the dragon, she learned to Block, enchant, and redid her life, thus beginning the life of a new hero, the new dragonborn

Pileggi

Heres my hunter build:

1.Archery: 3/5 overdraw, everything else maxed except bullseye as hitting paralyzed enemies with a bow can be difficult
2.Sneak: Get up to deadly aim as the dagger multipliers aren't used with this build. Silent roll is useful but optional. No more than 1/5 is needed in stealth as you can sneak by most enemies as long as you have some muffled boots and stick to the shadows.
3.Light armor: 3/5 agile defender, everything else is optional.
4.Two-handed: Put as many or as little points in this as you wish. I tend to switch to this in close quarters or when I feel like changing to something a little different. I personally use a great sword.
5.Alchemy for poisons + healing.

Play style: This is my best attempt at creating a WoW-ish type hunter character. It's very versatile in the sense that there are 3 methods of play here, 4 if you go werewolf. I'll usually slip between pure stealth and when I'm feeling bored of stealth (or get seen!) I'll change to full on combat with archery, relying on light armor and finding cover as a defense with the odd health potion here and there. I'll usually use two handed to finish off enemies and to help keep my character fun and it's also useful when your on a horse and can't quite hit an enemy by your side with a bow.

Dogs can be used at lower levels, which fits in very well with the whole hunter RP, telling them to wait when you want to stealth and having them tank when your in full on combat. Unfortunately at higher levels dogs become weak and will die on harder enemies as they lack a ''recover mode'' or whatever you wanna call it. You can use Barbas but he lacks a wait option making stealth quite difficult. Personally I think this build goes well at higher levels with a mage companion like J'zargo or Serana as they provide great damage. Serana in particular has great stealth for a mage, she rarely gets seen and will even summon undead to help tank the battle. Of course, any companion can be used alternatively as it all depends on choice and preference.

I also tend to use a crossbow for combat and a bow for stealth as crossbows stagger more where as bows are more accurate for long range stealth kills.

I spent all day playing up an Arcane Archer with Block for his melee skill. Just finished Blackreach, with the Targe of the Blooded, which finally makes it a viable weapon (sidearm.) Starting with Spectral Arrow (`help spectral, then player.additem the code) to get to the basement for a bow, then run through Bleak Falls on the way to Dragonsreach. Turn in the stone, and check out the map table while they talk about the Dragon, kill it, then run to Fort Amol on the way to Ivarstead. Free Bound Bow, I took it for a spin clearing out Lost Knife Hideout, then went to see the Greybeards. Run the main quest as quick as possible until Alftand.

The trick is, assign Bound Bow to your right hand, and a good shield to the left. when you cast it, your shield dequips, but you can sheath, or let it time out to get it back. Bash, or bow punch to create openings, you'll want at least 50 in block, so you can unlock Deadly Bash before you get the Targe. No need for 1 handed, though Heavy Armor helps. He's wearing hooded robes of conjuration, steel plate boots, and gauntlets (an upgrade on Blades') and the shield, of course. Primarilly a Ranger, with a splash of Conjuration, and Block as a weapon skill. I went Altmer, so I could cast BB with just a Novice Hood (from Helgen) and the Atronach Stone for Spell Absorbtion. Deflect Arrows, and Elemental Protection are also nice, as well as the added armor of the Shield. This goes away when the bow's out, though.

Just level 10, but more than powerful enough at that tier, with Faendal in Piece Mail (Leather Helm, Studded Body, Gloves of the Pugilist, and Fur Shoes with my old Banded iron Shield) still hasn't died yet. (All the way through Black Reach!i1) Main Shout is Wuld Nah, for quick maneuvers, and cross country (by the time I run my Stamina down, it's cooled off again.) All level points went to Health. I know, stamina for Bashes, and Eagle Eye, but the thing is, I try to avoid extended engagements, especially in the melee. The idea is to be the fastest thing on the battlefield, and use that mobility to be in the position of greatest advantage. Just don't Tank, and I do fine with barely 100+ Armor Rating.

Current Perks: Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them! going for Dragonrend next, and may start working up Enchant as soon as I unlock Soul Stealer. (Long past high enough level, I just need to spend the point.) As BB is the only spell, and you have 2 minutes to recharge, you don't need Adept Conjuration, or much Regeneration. The robes just counter the nerf from the Atronach Stone, which has saved my life countless times already. Could easilly be built on a Breton too, or Redguard. Any race could do it, but those 3 are probably best. Redguard would be lowest level, and the Adrenaline Rush power could be a life saver if you get surrounded, or cornered with nothing but the shield...

[edit]Steam Community :: rrubright :: Screenshots

ShadowGambit

^^ Interesting build that you have. I may have to try it next

Just getting started, this is about the point where I get into Crafting, and summons for all the conjuration I've got racked up. He's self sufficient now, by this time tomorrow, he'll be a worldbeater.

Here's my primary, Dreadfall: http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/558688305223421133/604C7D09C43CFC3FA9FA8BB433F8FCBD88B06D8E/

She started off as a joke, a 2 handed assassin, who turned out to be the most balanced, and fun character I have. I wrote a fanfic for her: DBH Contract: Elenwen {FanFic} - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Neoseeker Forums and dream as her some nights. The beauty is, she isn't OP, at all. 2x backstab damage, no crafting, and some clever use of perks. Her best combo is Silent Roll, and Great Critical Charge (4x backstab) which takes careful timing, and spacing, but the target is usually stationary. Now, with either her Ebony Greatsword, or Red Eagle's Honed Ancient Nord Greatsword Of Burning, that's still over 400 damage.

In a stand-up fight, she uses reach, or Bash&Slash. Block also soaks up some damage, but usually, she doesn't hold it, and instead double-clicks to Bash faster than the regular swing. This staggers (with decent damage from Deadly bash) to create an opening. And finally, she can drop, and roll to get behind enemies, not for a backstab, but a free shot without retaliation before straffing away, and hopefully getting another hit in before they close back within reach. She's also addicted to Vampire Dust.

The whole point is, this is not a no brainer build. You have to think, and if you don't, well just hope you saved recently. All of her combos require quick well timed multibutton presses, but so far, she's killed just about everthing in the game. The main version (there are several variations, with different speling) isn't even Dragonborn, but she can, and does bring down Dragons (including Big Bad Al) with her trusty BFFL Jenasssa. In the story, she's married to the Dovakiin, and is having Sinding's son.

Skarv

NIGHTINGALE ASSASSIN: I use Illusion but only Frenzy and Invisibility. I don't use Calm because the only reason I would use it is to just Calm and Backstab which would kill the fun, and I only use Frenzy when there is 3+ targets, or when I am just bored. Then I got Archery for those hard to get targets. Sometimes when I am infiltrating a Fort I like to take out the sentries from the wall, to add that real assassin flavor. I grabbed Alchemy for poisons and I carry 2 or 3 extra Invisibility potions just in case I don't have enough mana. For One Handed I like to use a Blade of Woe in my left hand, and Nightingale Blade in my right hand. Although I sacrifice the cool slitting throat animation, I do have better survivability when I am discovered with no way to go back into the shadows such as Dragons and Dragon Priests and occasionally some other creatures that ambush me. Then I too Light Armor since Nightingale Armor is Light and that awesome stamina regeneration perk. For Smithing I just took Steel and Arcane because I am using: Nightingale Armor, Blade of Woe(or maybe another dagger still didn't decide) Nightingale Bow, and Nightingale Blade. I didn't use enchanting because the gear I am using is already enchanted and I will use Azura's Black Star. The build I just stated is really fun yet challenging on some parts in Master difficulty.

VKitKat

Most Commonly known as The Dragonborn
Name: Cecilia Black-Heart
Race: Nord
Class: Necromancer
Personality: Despite her love for the dark arts, Cecilia is a friendly, compassionate nord who is attached to anyone she meets, she is very curious, and has a good taste for adventure. She loves to explore, aswell. In fact, her dream is to explore every corner of Tameriel. She is an outstanding citizen, and, sadly, is misjudged of her kindness and such due to her love for necromancy, in which is her specialty. She is very clever and sly, aswell as intelligent and friendly. She can only hope one day, people will start overlooking her love for the dark arts and see her as who she is.
Backstory: Cecilia grew up in High Rock, where she had a beautiful mother, Naia, and a hard-working faher, Kimex, who was a solider who was never home. Her twin sister, Lilei, had a mishap with a vampire at the age of 10, and when her family found out they had disclaimed her, and as of now nobody knows where she is. From that point on, Cecilia was interested in Vampirism and necromancy, and began studying the art. She left her family at the age of 18, where she had met a young, handsome soldier in which she married, and moved to Skyrim with. This man, Noile, loved Cecilia as much as she loved him. She was always stuffed up in her lab doing her experiments while he patrolled the down, so they were never close. But one day Noile had come down with a terrible ill. The priestess’s of kynareth failed him, and he had died. Due to the hurtness her heart felt then, she then got more active and started to explore in honor of him, and her experiments. She now explores all around Skyrim, in search of her beloved twin sister and in honor of her lover, Noile.
Main Skills: Alchemy, enchanting, destruction, conjuration, one-handed, speech
Primary Weapon(s): Bound sword, sword, conjured creatures, Ice and shock magic
Primary Armour(s): Mages robe and hood, Fur gauntlets, Necklace of Fortify conjuration, Ring of fortify Magicka