What affect does the Stormcloak/Imperial conflict have on game play?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I've run in to a bit of a quandry.

While I do very much enjoy working with the Stormcloaks and have just completed the Jagged Crown Questline and given the crown to Ulrich (which I now have come to regret as I now know that I am bound to the storyline), I also very much enjoy my time in Solitude and Elliseph the Jarl and her cadre.

I have not, as yet given the Ax to the Jarl of Whiterun (he is my friend, after all and I feel like I would make he and his people victims) and so have been carrying around 12#'s of dead weight for a long time (being unable to get rid of it).

As there is no escaping the War Storyline now, I hope I can get some advice. I would really like to purchase a house in Solitude, but am unsure if I will even be welcome in the city after I pass the Ax on.

I suppose I can just keep doing side quests and just hold on to the Ax, but, as I said, it is a bit of a burden.

Advice? I live in Markarth now and would hate to see my good relationship with them sullied as well by my acts with the Stormcloaks.

Ivory

Let's Player
I'm pretty sure the Axe is actually weightless due to it being a quest item. As for the war itself, yeah I think it's not till after that you'll be hated by most of solitude's population per say but by that point it wouldn't matter I suppose.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
As there is no escaping the War Storyline now, I hope I can get some advice. I would really like to purchase a house in Solitude, but am unsure if I will even be welcome in the city after I pass the Ax on.
Your progression in the Stormcloak quest line has no effect upon the disposition of the people of any capital city in Skyrim including Solitude. You can do all the Solitude quests including the ones that make you Thane and allow you to purchse Proudspire Manor.

Kory Stukenborg

Proud Member of the Mercer County Facial Hair Club
It really does nothing. In the Imperial questline, I think you kill Ulfric and in the Stormcloaks, you kill Tulius. The whole land of Skryim (or at least all cities) now belong to the Stormcloaks or Imperials depending on what side you chose.

Delusional

Connoisseur of Hallucinations
Yeah, there is no effect on the population, except Jarls and their cabinet change. The actual people do not act differently, except in Whiterun, you have the dialogue option to ask people how is Stormcloak rule, and sometimes the Gray-Manes will make comments about Whiterun being in the hands of the true sons and daughters, but overall no effect.
However, Jarls do change if a hold transfers control. Except I believe that Elisif stays in power in Solitude.

EDIT: Oh and of course the legates/commanders and the troop garrisons change.

I haven't done the civil war from the Imperial side, what happens when Ulfric dies? He is the Jarl, so who gets Windhelm's seat?

Sheuneux

Guardian of Talos Worship
If you side with the stormcloaks it makes it impossible to complete the daedric quest in Whiterun, the quest that involves bulgruff's children, and siding with the imperials makes it easier to obtain land in dawnstar.

Delusional

If you side with the stormcloaks it makes it impossible to complete the daedric quest in Whiterun, the quest that involves bulgruff's children, and siding with the imperials makes it easier to obtain land in dawnstar.

Well on my Stormcloak character I did the Daedric quest involving the Jarl's kids before I started the civil war. I recommend you don't jump right into the civil war if you don't know what all it will affect in your playthrough and character.

What do you mean siding with the Imperials makes it easier to obtain land in The Pale? I have Heljarchen Hall on my Stormcloak character...

Sheuneux

Guardian of Talos Worship
Well on my Stormcloak character I did the Daedric quest involving the Jarl's kids before I started the civil war. I recommend you don't jump right into the civil war if you don't know what all it will affect in your playthrough and character.

What do you mean siding with the Imperials makes it easier to obtain land in The Pale? I have Heljarchen Hall on my Stormcloak character...

Siding with the imperials allows you too just complete the "Waking Nightmares" quest without having to go and kill some giant afterwards.

Delusional

Siding with the imperials allows you too just complete the "Waking Nightmares" quest without having to go and kill some giant afterwards.

Huh, really? Interesting. Oh well, killing a giant isn't too big of a deal. Overall, it doesn't effect too much, only killing an extra giant.

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
You should focus on the main questline before completing the Civil war questline. There's a really interesting quest where you do some democracy :D

Yukari Yakumo

The Countless Violet Clouds
Yeah, there is no effect on the population, except Jarls and their cabinet change. The actual people do not act differently, except in Whiterun, you have the dialogue option to ask people how is Stormcloak rule, and sometimes the Gray-Manes will make comments about Whiterun being in the hands of the true sons and daughters, but overall no effect.
However, Jarls do change if a hold transfers control. Except I believe that Elisif stays in power in Solitude.

EDIT: Oh and of course the legates/commanders and the troop garrisons change.

I haven't done the civil war from the Imperial side, what happens when Ulfric dies? He is the Jarl, so who gets Windhelm's seat?
Brunwolf Free-Winter becomes the Windhelm Jarl when Imperials win and the smith and his apprentice have some nasty words for you, and if you win as Stormcloak, Ulfric will appear in both Windhelm and Solitude.
Also, you can't purchase Hjerim until you've advanced the Civil War line past a certain point.
As Imperial you have to win the whole thing; Stormcloak a few battles after Whiterun you get permission.

Delusional

Brunwolf Free-Winter becomes the Windhelm Jarl when Imperials win and the smith and his apprentice have some nasty words for you, and if you win as Stormcloak, Ulfric will appear in both Windhelm and Solitude.
Also, you can't purchase Hjerim until you've advanced the Civil War line past a certain point.
As Imperial you have to win the whole thing; Stormcloak a few battles after Whiterun you get permission.

Thanks! I was wondering what happened to Windhelm if one took the Imperial Legion's side.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts