• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

nightmare16

here have a cookie :)
yes its absolutely essential for the game. if you dont have at least one piece of armor with this enchantment, chances are you wont make it through some areas of the game. i would go out on a limb and say it is the MOST essential enchantment in the game. its almost as important as magelight........yea so no its pointless to be honest. you dont need the enchantment at all. its a nice lil perk to explore under water areas but not important in any other cases im aware of.

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
You can do without it for the most part, but it is useful. Like a lot of enchantments, there are either potions and/or spells that do similar things so you could always use one of those instead if you desired. Sometimes hiding underwater is handy or is a useful way to sneak into and out of spots.

That said, I typically have waterbreathing and muffle as equipped enchantments nearly all the time unless I am in full-on ragged trouser-wearing/wooden stick attacking mode.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
yes its absolutely essential for the game. if you dont have at least one piece of armor with this enchantment, chances are you wont make it through some areas of the game. i would go out on a limb and say it is the MOST essential enchantment in the game. its almost as important as magelight........yea so no its pointless to be honest. you dont need the enchantment at all. its a nice lil perk to explore under water areas but not important in any other cases im aware of.
Really? I never use it except low level with the spell. And magelight? I can honestly say in nearly 6K hours of playthrough, the only time I have ever used that spell is when told to at the College.

Don't get me wrong, I do a LOT of swimming and diving but the 2 minutes you can hold your breath is usually far more than you actually need. Besides, if you want to spend all you time underwater, why not just play an Argonian?

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
Really? I never use it except low level with the spell. And magelight? I can honestly say in nearly 6K hours of playthrough, the only time I have ever used that spell is when told to at the College.

Don't get me wrong, I do a LOT of swimming and diving but the 2 minutes you can hold your breath is usually far more than you actually need. Besides, if you want to spend all you time underwater, why not just play an Argonian?
I've used magelight once or twice in blackreach to light up a distant enemy for a ranged attack, other than that, it's fairly useless. I use candlelight often but not magelight

W'rkncacnter

Mister Freeze
I've used magelight once or twice in blackreach to light up a distant enemy for a ranged attack, other than that, it's fairly useless. I use candlelight often but not magelight
I've heard magelight can be useful as an archer to pull a distant enemy into a better attack position. Since I use SkyRe it could give me the higher damage bonus of a shot to the back - but I can't say that I have used it for that. I think the most I have used it for was to shoot it at random NPCs and watch as they wander around with the light.

Waterbreathing is one of those enchantments that I like to have even if I'll never use it. If I find something enchanted with it I generally disenchant and then make a ring which I carry around (and almost never wear) everywhere.

Nighthiker77

I use mage light all the time, it levels alteration a lot faster (still slow) but where it is really useful is stealth because you can illuminate whatever you want and stay in darkness because it isn't stuck to you like a torch or candlelight.

Waterbreathing is great for raising money and enchanting, but that's about it

nightmare16

here have a cookie :)

lol i was being sarcastic there man i consider magelight and the waterbreathing enchantment completely useless 99.9% of the time

Chadonraz

I think the most I have used it for was to shoot it at random NPCs and watch as they wander around with the light.

This. :D

As for Waterbreathing, I always get excited when I find an item with that enchantment, simply because it's so rare. I never actually enchant anything with it.

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
I enchant a ring with it. It does come in handy. One example is the final bit assault in the Thieves' guild quest.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts