• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

stephratering

Skyrim lags a lot for me despite turning off all the auto saves and deleting messages and old games. Would getting a bigger hard drive help and if so what size?

khazan99

Semi-professional cabbage collector
not an expert by any means, but more probably it has to do with your graphics card and/or the amount of dedicated memory the card has - - have you turned down some of the graphic options such as textures, shadows, water, etc?

stephratering

Sorry I failed to mention I'm playing on ps3. I've looked for graphic options but I don't see anything

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

khazan99

Semi-professional cabbage collector
Oh ! well then nevermind me then :)

the most i have seen re: consoles and Skyrim is to uninstall the game then reinstall and make sure you also install the latest patch.

There is a thread here about patch issues, and you might have a look here as well: GameFaqs link

stephratering

This is probably a stupid question but uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't delete the save does it? I've never really played anything on the ps3 before. I'm more of a PC gamer. Also I don't have normal internet so I haven't installed any patches at all. My boyfriend has hotspot on his phone but its painfully slow. How long do you think it would take to patch it with crappy WiFi?

stephratering

Or could I possibly download the patches on my phone and transfer it to the ps3? I've done things like that before with my computers but like I said i dont know much about playstations.

JoeReese

Playstation likes to be difficult with Skyrim. We played on one for a couple of years before finally going to PC. Skyrim on PS3 lags and crashes. There seems to be no way around that.

Something that seems to effect it is loose items. I've read even items stored in containers can effect lag, but haven't noticed that. If you have a house with a bunch of stuff laying on tables or even displayed on walls, it will be laggier. I learned this in both the Falkreath and Pale custom homes. Things were ok until I built my armory, and the more stuff I displayed, the laggier it got. Then I did some testing. I once took that round tower room at the back of the house, and just loaded it up with loose loot. Everything I looted got dumped, piece by piece, into that room, watching the game get laggier with every load of loot. I had a pile about thigh-high, when it switched from incredibly slow to mostly frozen. It would literally freeze in place for 60 seconds or more, then move me one step, repeat. Experiment over, reloaded the save I'd made right before starting and could run, jump, and fight again.

What helped us was keeping our save files down to the three most recent (not autosaves). Also, every so often, I would plug a usb drive into the PS3 and save my most recent save file to it.
If you do uninstall and reinstall, make sure you do that first. You can then copy it right back to the PS3 and play as though you'd never left.

What seemed to help us the most, with crashes/lag, was turning off all autosaves. They seem to take up an enormous amount of process, especially when you fast travel and then end up fighting. I think I ended up leaving save on rest/sleep active, because I knew I was going to sleep at home and I could control when I rested. I got into the habit of making a save every so often, or when I acquired a new item, reached some achievement, that I didn't want to lose. At the end of the game, I'd delete all but three.

The other big helper was the 30 day wait, which on the PS3 is a bit tedious. It should take you about 10 minutes, but go someplace safe/free to sleep. Sleep for 24 hrs, 30 times. (I usually did 31, just to be sure). That helps reset all the dungeons, gets rid of things left open, laying around, etc. These are all more things the game doesn't have to worry about rendering while you play. It even made a discernible difference in load screen times.

Of course, If you get the chance to play on a fast PC, you'll be blown away by the difference.

ZeroDragon

Bring me my broadsword, and clear understanding.
I prefer to play on the PC but I also have it for the PS3. While I was lucky with the lack of issues I had compared to many, though I did suffer the lag issue. Like Joe, turning off autosaves and deleting old saves, especially if you have playstation plus and online saves, solved my lag issues.

Necrael

Sorry I failed to mention I'm playing on ps3. I've looked for graphic options but I don't see anything

IMO forget the console and get a copy of skyrim for PC. Skyrim is 100 times better on the PC because of the mods. There is so much more content, better graphics, ect, ect, ect. There's mods out there that are as good if not better than a lot of the stuff that the company put into the game. Complete with great stories and solid voice acting.

Anyway you didn't come here for me to advertise so about your original question... All I can say is that skyrim for the PC is heavy on the cpu especially with more scripts. I had to clock up another 500mhz to get my modload running half decent on this cheap pc.

If it's lagging on a ps3 then your ps3 could be overheating.
Try disconnecting the power coord, pushing the power button while it's unplugged, opening it up and blowing out the dust with a can of compressed air. Could be the laser that needs a clean too. Google PS3 cleaning for a better guide than I can give. I'm sure there's one with pictures out there xD.

I haven't had a console since the ps2 and that thing needed to be cleaned every couple of months or it'd over heat and games would lag/crash.

I doubt a new harddrive will help because even the best harddrives on a PC don't really show much noticeable performance for gaming. It's all about CPUs/threads,GPU,Memory speeds.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts