• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
i use all daedra armor and weapons my armor rating only goes up to 441 and my daedra sword only has a base damage of 62? how do i make the base damage higher without enchantments and how do i make my armor rating higher?

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
If you haven't already done so you can improve the armor at the workbench and the weapon at the grindstone at any Blacksmith's shop. I'm assuming you already have sufficient smithing skill if you forged the armor and weapons yourself. The only other reason your armor rating and displayed damage for weapon would be so low is because of lack of Heavy Armor and One-Handed Skill and/or armor rating and damage bonus perks.

Agentoringe

Use fortify smithing potions :) you can make them with blister wort/glowing mushrooms/spriggan sap/saber cat tooth...there are ways to get really high armor values, but they take a bit of explaining, your armor rating caps at 547, and things start being less fun to kill when you do 200+ dmg per hit, so I say keep it simple, it helps you maintain the challenge aspect of the game. Just check the general stores (white run and riverwood are the easiest) for gear w the "fortify alchemy" enchant on it, if you dot have it already, make a ring/necklace/gloves/circlet/falmer helmet w grand soul gems to provide the +25% bonus to created potions, on the necklace/ring/gloves you can double it up w the fortify smithing enchants for a little help. Then make the fortify smithing potions and go upgrade your stuff. Of course, like I said, there are ways to obtain huge armor and damage values, but it's a little cheaty, if you want to know about it then you can message me or just let me know n il be happy to explain :)

Agentoringe

Oh, and the reason you make a circlet and a falmer helmet is because you can wear both at the same time, allowing you to gain an additional 25% bonus :)

everything i have is legendary by the way. i realized the juggernaut perk was only on 2/5 and the armsman perk was only on 3/5 lol. what do you mean by armor rating and damage bonus perks?

Dagmar

everything i have is legendary by the way. i realized the juggernaut perk was only on 2/5 and the armsman perk was only on 3/5 lol. what do you mean by armor rating and damage bonus perks?
The armor rating bonus perks for Heavy Armor are Juggernaut, Well Fitted and Matching Set perks. The damage bonus perks for One Handed are the Armsman perks. If you're using a shield then you can reach the armor cap with 100 Heavy Armor skill, 4 Juggernaut perks, and the Well Fitted and Matching Set perks.

Agentoringe

It caps at 667. For each armor piece you wear you get 25 points of hidden armor rating so if you wear a full set of armor it caps at a displayed armor rating of 567.

Yes and no, I mistyped earlier, but the armor rating cap is 567, period, when wearing "armor" light or heavy, but caps at 667 when wearing no armor. Meaning you would require the dragon hide master level spell to achieve it. Which technically doesn't count as you having the armor, but does count towards your "armor rating" being the requires 667 without wearing any actual armor. Kind of confusing to think about but simple in application. Although the dragon hide spell actually stacks over your armor rating meaning you gain a 80% damage mitigation from your armor (100 dmg->20dmg) then a 80% magical effect of damage reduction (20dmg->4dmg) but the dragon hide spell by itself covers the cap for casters not wearing armor lol

"Physical damage reduction is capped at 80%. This occurs at 567 displayed armor rating when wearing all four pieces of armor or 667 when not wearing any pieces of armor."

Straight offa http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Armor

There is a "hidden" armor rating, but the hidden armor rating isn't necessary to achieve maximum dmg reduction from wearing the armor...it helps, but isn't required, the armor rating cap (567) can be achieved with any armor type in game assuming you have sufficient boosting of the smithing skill.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Dagmar - I luv you! You know everything about everything! I would give you so more rep points, but the forum won't let me until I rep some other folks. I could rep for being witty, but I really want to rep for being smart. Oh well. I'll rep you again once I find someone that actually gives me good intel.

The armor rating bonus perks for Heavy Armor are Juggernaut, Well Fitted and Matching Set perks. The damage bonus perks for One Handed are the Armsman perks. If you're using a shield then you can reach the armor cap with 100 Heavy Armor skill, 4 Juggernaut perks, and the Well Fitted and Matching Set perks.

oh..haha. for some reason i thought you meant you got extra perks once you put all the perks on heavy armo and one handed..lol

Dagmar

Yes and no, I mistyped earlier, but the armor rating cap is 567, period
No it isn't. It's 667. 667 is your true armor rating when wearing a full set of armor that gives you a displayed armor rating of 567. For each piece of armor you're not wearing you have to add another 25 points of armor rating to the displayed armor rating to cap physical damage resistance. If you're not wearing a helmet for example, then you need a displayed armor rating of of 592.
...Meaning you would require the dragon hide master level spell to achieve it. Which technically doesn't count as you having the armor, but does count towards your "armor rating" being the requires 667 without wearing any actual armor....
Dragonhide doesn't increase armor rating. The spell uses an effect that's completely independent of armor rating that applies a fractional multiplier against all physical damage of 0.2. It's also supposed to drop your armor rating to 1 but it's buggy and won't affect your armor rating until you change a piece of armor or load a saved game while under the effect of the spell so you do get layered physical damage reduction from armor rating and then the 0.2 damage multiplier as long as you don't remove or swap out any armor worn after you cast the spell.

Agentoringe

No it isn't. It's 667. 667 is your true armor rating when wearing a full set of armor that gives you a displayed armor rating of 567. For each piece of armor you're not wearing you have to add another 25 points of armor rating to the displayed armor rating to cap physical damage resistance. If you're not wearing a helmet for example, then you need a displayed armor rating of of 592.
Dragonhide doesn't increase armor rating. The spell uses an effect that's completely independent of armor rating that applies a fractional multiplier against all physical damage of 0.2. It's also supposed to drop your armor rating to 1 but it's buggy and won't affect your armor rating until you change a piece of armor or load a saved game while under the effect of the spell so you do get layered physical damage reduction from armor rating and then the 0.2 damage multiplier as long as you don't remove or swap out any armor worn after you cast the spell.

lol I appreciate your enthusiasm, but your armor (damage mitigation) caps at 567...the hidden armor rating is not necessary to achieve the 80% mitigation, as clearly stated in my previous post, which you apparently didn't read past what you quoted.

The wiki (not to mention basic math) states that the armor cap is 567 when wearing all 4 pieces of armor, and 667 when NOT wearing armor, which in truth doesn't have so much to do with the number as it does the % of mitigation obtainable, meaning unless you are using a shield (because shields dont count towards your set bonus nor xp acquired for the armor type light/heavy) with your robes/clothing that has a high smithing augment along with a Mage armor spell, you cannot achieve the 667 armor rating needed to gain 80% damage mitigation from your armor rating while not wearing armor.

Another situation where you seem to have failed to pay attention is the dragon hide spell, it doesn't give you 667 armor rating, that wasn't the point I was making, it is clearly stated that the armor mitigation cap is 667 when NOT WEARING ARMOR, meaning a clothing/robe wearing Mage would need the dragon hide spell to achieve a similar damage reduction, that was the whole point of the spell even being out in the game was so that mages had a way to buffer themselves against damage similar to a armor wearing character...but yes, as I stated in the last post, the dragon hide spell and armor rating are separate effects, which is why I refer to armor as "mitigation" and the spell as "damage reduction" meaning the effects can stack with each other to make a armor wearing character nigh invincible, reducing physical damage (based on a value of 100) to 4. (80% mitigation from armor reducing to 20, then 80% reduction from spell leaving 4) but what I said was that the spell was meant for mages (because a Mage isn't going to typically wear armor) to be able to achieve the 80% damage reduction BECAUSE they aren't wearing armor, it's also given a duration vs armor just being worn because mages weren't intended to be tanky, they were intended to blow things up. So Bethesda gave then dragon hide to supplement their damage reduction for them to be able to mix it up in close combat IF necessary. But not intended for long periods of time like armor is.

But as I quoted from the wiki page, that the armor cap is 567 when wearing 4 pieces of armor, and 667 when not wearing armor. That's pretty self explanatory what the 567 and 667 values mean. 567 is when your wearing armor...667 is when your NOT wearing armor...meaning you need dragon hide to achieve the 80% reduction just like if you WERE wearing armor, OR you can use a dual cast Mage armor spell, and a dual cast ward/and/or a ward in one hand and a shield in the other OR just a shield with an exceptional augmentation along w the dual cast Mage armor spell to accomplish the same goal.

...and yes, for those of you reading wondering "did he know he repeated himself?" yes, I did, I felt I NEEDED to repeat myself so that the message was clear this time. My explanation isn't some hair brained idea I had, it's straight from Beth's wiki page, explained by someone who either has alot more free time than I do, or was more than likely involved with game development. The only claim I can make is testing out someone else's formula and claims on PC and on console to make sure for myself it works that way, and then relaying that same info to others seeking information on the subject. So if you disagree with what I'm sayin, I apologize, but that's between you and whoever made the explanation on the wiki page, which has been up since shortly after the game came out...and has easily better qualifications on "what they know" than either of us. So go to the wiki page and argue with them if you disagree. But I would rely on thier info MUCH more so than I would on someone's info on this forum...which is why that's where I obtain and relay my info from. If that page was wrong, surely someone with qualifications to do so would have corrected it by now.

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
i use all daedra armor and weapons my armor rating only goes up to 441 and my daedra sword only has a base damage of 62? how do i make the base damage higher without enchantments and how do i make my armor rating higher?

Without any enchanting, you can increase your armor and weapons thru smithing by wearing for example : the forgemaster fingers and other items out there that let you boost up your smithing capability + drinking a blacksmith potion ( the one that gives you 50% ). I did that and the base damage of my daedric sword went up to almost 300 which is more than enough and if you wear an item to increase one-handed damage, it will go up much more. I remember I had the forgemaster fingers ( I did not return it to the freaking Orcs ), a necklace enchanted with smithing and a ring + my blacksmith potion. So, if you can get those items and permanently wear an item to boost one-handed, then you will get more much damage in your weapon and more armor protection.
You are wearing a heavy armor so you probably need to buy or to get an item enchanted with Fortify Heavy Armor and also you got to have the perk Matching Set in your Heavy Armor skill tree to boost up your armor protection. Just my 2 cents.;)

Dagmar

lol I appreciate your enthusiasm, but your armor (damage mitigation) caps at 567...the hidden armor rating is not necessary to achieve the 80% mitigation
You're wrong. You simply lack (a) reading comprehension skills and (b) actual field tested knowledge of the mechanics of armor rating. The hidden armor rating is absolutely necessary when calculating physical damage reduction and determining what displayed armor rating is necessary to receive 80% physical damage resistance. The fact that you clearly stated something that is wrong doesn't make it any less incorrect.
The wiki (not to mention basic math) states that the armor cap is 567 when wearing all 4 pieces of armor, and 667 when NOT wearing armor
Neither of these statements is true. The UESP wiki article on armor states:
UESP Skyrim-Armor said:
Physical damage reduction is capped at 80%. This occurs at 567 DISPLAYED armor rating when wearing all four pieces of armor or 667 when not wearing any pieces of armor.
Displayed armor rating doesn't equal actual armor rating. Physical damage resistance is determined by adding displayed and hidden armor rating which is clear to anyone that reads the article and can do basic arithmetic:
UESP Skyrim-Armor said:
  • Hidden armor rating = 25 per piece worn
  • Damage reduction percentage = (displayed armor rating + hidden armor rating) × 0.12
the math in application is damage reduction percentage = (567 + (25 x 4 )) x .12 = (567 + 100) x .12 = 667 x .12 = 80%

According your claim however "the hidden armor rating is not necessary to achieve the 80%" which would mean in your world 567 x .12 = 80%
Another situation where you seem to have failed to pay attention is the dragon hide spell, it doesn't give you 667 armor rating
...the armor rating cap is 567, period, when wearing "armor" light or heavy, but caps at 667 when wearing no armor. Meaning you would require the dragon hide master level spell to achieve it.
You clearly stated that the Dragonhide spell achieves the armor rating cap of 667 when it has nothing to do with armor rating at all and conveys nothing helpful or meaningful about the mechanics of armor rating.
...That's pretty self explanatory what the 567 and 667 values mean.
Apparently not to you.
...567 is when your wearing armor...667 is when your NOT wearing armor...
It's 567 displayed armor rating if you're wearing 4 pieces of armor. It's 25 more for every armor piece you aren't wearing.
...it's straight from Beth's wiki page...
UESP is an independent website unaffiliated with Bethesda.
...explained by someone who either has alot more free time than I do, or was more than likely involved with game development...
The articles are written and edited by contributing members of the player community. I understand the contents of that article very well as I'm one of the editing contributors for the article. There is nothing to dispute between what I am saying and what the article says. You simply lack an in depth understanding of how armor rating works and that displayed armor rating doesn't always equal actual armor rating. The page doesn't need correction. It clearly supports what I've stated and refutes the notion that hidden armor rating isn't essential to cap physical damage resistance if your displayed armor rating is only 567. You're the first person I've encountered that has a such a serious disconnect regarding the relationship between hidden armor rating. displayed armor rating and actual armor rating that you can't appreciate the full information that's being conveyed about the mechanics of armor rating from the article.

Agentoringe

Ok, as I'm sure your aware, on the PC version of skyrim there are a couple of neat things you can do, well, several actually but there are a couple in particular I'm speaking of...namely the creation kit, and the dubbed "white room" if you have any experience using basic software programs and digital rendering, which il just assume from your boastful statements you at least have a general knowledge of, then you SHOULD be aware that you can create/ insert/or spawn a NPC(s) of your choice in there for whatever purposes suit your needs, on the occasion im describing it was damage testing. Since you managed the interesting poke of telling me I haven't done the research, I have to explain that research Im "lacking".

Ok, again, assuming you have basic knowledge of the "white room" and the creation kit, you should know that you can set up a NPC to perform a certain action, set thier skills, etc. well in my case, I set the skills and weapons up so that he would deal within 5 pts of 100 damage to me per hit, my character standing there buck naked, takes between 95-105 points of damage. Ok, that damage serves as the % basis for testing armor values and how much mitigation they provide, I equipped my character with my custom armor that between helm/chest/gloves/boots the armor value was EXACTLY 567...again, if you posses basic knowledge of the creation kit you know this is possible. All perks (except the damage reflection) applied to the heavy armor skill, and standing there while my custom NPC hit me, with a DISPLAYED armor rating of 567, I suffered between 18-23 pts of damage. With my NPC ONLY capable of doing within a 10 pt swing of 100 damage (95-100=5 and 100-105=5 and 5+5=10...just so there's no problems with understanding) that roughly translates (within that same 10 pt swing) to 20% damage.

Ok, this part itself was not in question, because you yourself even stated that 4 piece bonus of 25 each gave an additional 100 armor correct? Correct. Making the "hidden" armor value 667, and according to you and your misinterpretation of the wiki page, grants the 80% damage mitigation. Well, the problem with that formula they gave is this, after doing my initial test with the 4 pieces of daedric(heavy) armor...I dropped the gloves, and added a hide shield(light armor) with the correct value to = 567, then stood there again, not blocking, while the custom NPC hit me...and to my surprise, I STILL, only took between 17-23 points of damage, not only did I not have the "hidden bonus" but I was using a light shield. I continued my testing with using armor that balanced the difference in a ward in one hand (ya know, since that provide a bonus armor rating) while he hit me, and still, between 17-23 points of damage. I continued testing repeatedly with different combinations of armor/wards, light and heavy, never gaining the set bonus, but always maintaining 567 armor rating, even no armor at all, with a shield only that provided the 567 armor. And guess what deary, still only took 17-23 pts per hit. Another such continuation was having the same custom NPC, casting dragon hide on myself, and letting him continue to attack my character, and what happened? Surprise...I STILL only took between 17-23 pts of damage...for the sake of even more explaining later, that equals out to roughly 20% of the damage that would have normally been dealt.

So, being that I collect my sources from the wiki page, which surprisingly I don't remember seeing your name on ANY of the info contributions, which of course could have just been overlooked for more important info, I arrived at a dilemma, something in that "fan based" info was wrong. Being that the general populace of skyrim players, well...pretty much anywhere, when asked, will tell you that the armor cap is 567 granting 80% mitigation, and that smithing armor to more than that value doesn't provide you with ANY more mitigation because 80% is the cap, funny that most ppl will tell you that having more than 567 armor is a waste, so why would you need the 100 extra hidden armor to reach the cap?...well considering that those comments and discussions involved NO mention of a "hidden" armor value contributing to the mitigation %, I can only draw one conclusion, and so could MOST people with decent "reading comprehension", that the hidden armor value is the problem with the formula given in the wiki page. Being that the 567 armor is the constant with what I've been told by others when I started playing the game after midnight release, through the testing I performed myself along with no telling how many others, up until yesterday when the "hidden armor value" became the game breaker I never knew it was, that's the only logical conclusion I could come to. Idk, maybe I'm the only one, with that much evidence, would consider there being a problem with the fan based info. Who knows, maybe I got the special edition of skyrim that magically dont need the hidden armor that everyone else, well, at least you, think is necessary for achieving the 80% mitigation.

Here's the obvious problem I ran into, and idk, maybe there was a interpretation issue with the language it was posted in, but the information given on the wiki page conflicted.

One statement saying that the formula included this "hidden" armor value to achieve the desired mitigation. And the second that stated that the maximum damage mitigation was achieved at 567 displayed armor rating OR 667 armor rating if not wearing armor. My problem with that is, through various reading numerous articles and novels, grading papers of my English Lit. Class, etc, that I take things to be literal when I read them. There's very little "cloak n dagger" action in writing these days, but who knew some people actually write things they don't actually mean to be taken literally. lol so when I read that comment, I took it literally when they state in the summary at the bottom of the page that your armor mitigation caps at 567 DISPLAYED armor rating, meaning in literal terms( in case your not following me) that as long as your displayed armor rating is 567, no matter how it was achieved, your at your physical damage mitigation cap. Which is the SAME conclusion that I came to through hours and hours of testing myself.

Also the second part of that comment, ya know, after the "or" that said "or 667 when not wearing any armor." to mean that when you are not wearing any kind of armor, light or heavy, only wearing clothes or robes, that you would have to achieve 667 displayed armor rating to be able to reach the same 80% damage mitigation that you reach while wearing armor. Which is where my comment about the dragon hide spell came into play, I figured, anyone with basic knowledge of deductive reasoning could figure that I meant that spell was how a person NOT wearing armor, like the second part of that comment states, could achieve the same 80% reduction, although the spell effects both physical and spell damage.

Agentoringe

I understand what your saying about the formula for calculating physical damage mitigation, and how the figures they give match what your saying, and yes, I also understand that the value they give (.12) only calculates to around 68% mitigation on a 567 base, but your proceeding with this topic as if the equation is rock hard fact and indisputable by any means when you yourself stated that it's info was compiled from the gaming community, so just because the math adds up doesn't mean it's the right math for the solution.

Take this for example, 3 guys check into a hotel and pay 10$ a piece, 30$ total right? Ok, so the manager decides he over charged them, he sends the bellhop upstairs with 5, 1$ bills and says to give it back as compensation, well, the bellhop can't figure out how to split up the five 1$ bills so he keeps 2$ and gives each guy 1$ back. Ok, so each guy origionaly paid 10$, the bellhop gave them back 1$ each, meaning each paid 9$ right? Ok, well, 3x9 is 27...plus the 2$ that the bellhop took only adds up to 29$, so where's the other dollar? All the numbers in this situation are right and all the math is correct. Just applied wrong.

Basically, there's the possibility that the formula given for calculating the armor rating is right, all the math adds up, but the math itself could be applied wrong or to the wrong angles, OR, the right math isn't applied to the equation. Me personally, I don't know which it is, whether it's right, and I have a special copy of skyrim nobody else seems to own, the equation isn't being applied right, or the wrong numbers are being plugged into it...if I had my doctorate in mathematics instead of English, I could probably figure it out pretty quick. But since I don't, I base things off of the legwork I do myself and the knowledge of math that I myself posses, which is much more limited than I'd like. The testing I did myself, and the values situated in a controlled environment yielded results backing my original thesis that there was a problem with the equation itself. Because even with what little math I know, I know that you can figure for 80% mitigation with a 567 base, but the precise numbers to throw that together are a bit beyond what I care to investigate, I just know that it doesn't add up vs the testing I've done. And the wording in the wiki itself under the "Armor Cap" section states this:

Armor Cap

Physical damage reduction is capped at 80%. This occurs at 567 displayed armor rating when wearing all four pieces of armor or 667 when not wearing any pieces of armor. If you have 100 armor skill (Light or Heavy) and all relevant armor perks, this requires a tempered armor rating of about 135. You can increase your tempered armor rating by 1 roughly every 2 points of Smithing with the appropriate perk, or every 4 without. Therefore, at 100 Smithing you will need 85 base armor with the appropriate perk, which is not achievable without a shield with Light Armor (though Dragonscale comes close at 82 for the set) and requires at least a Steel Plate set for Heavy Armor. With Fortify Smithing enchanted apparel and Fortify Smithing potions you can boost Smithing even further, which can potentially allow any material for which a Smithing perk exists to reach the cap. At the extreme end, you will need about 126 Smithing to make Steel Armor hit the cap, and about 154 Smithing for an Elven set. Unfortunately, Fur, Hide, Studded, Leather, and Iron armor are not affected by any Smithing perks and so cannot be improved as much.
With the aid of enchanting (fortify smithing) and pre-made enchanting and smithing potions, and of course the appropriate armor perks, you can reach the armor cap with any style or type of armor in the game, even hide and iron armor. All without even using a shield.
Shields, spells, and the Lord Stone can reduce the base armor required to hit the cap even further, but these require more management.

Thats copies directly from the site, and the first sentence in that paragraph that states armor cap values is either worded wrong, or it's meant literally. Because you cannot WEAR the armor to acquire the 567 displayed armor rating AND not wear any armor to achieve the 667 armor rating. Which is why, according to my legwork, that the statement is to be taken literally and that as long as 567 is your displayed armor rating you have the max armor mitigation. And that it would take 667 displayed armor rating to achieve the same % if you weren't wearing any armor. It's one statement, not 2, and it's wording very clearly depicts 2 situations involving a displayed armor rating needed to reach the mitigation cap with a "this or that" scenario. Also, that entire section that describes how to achieve the displayed armor rating of 567 NEVER mentions the hidden armor rating as a factor to achieve max mitigation %. In fact, it states in the opening sentence that the maximum mitigation is 80%. (<-period there) following that is says, "this occurs, meaning you achieve 80% physical damage mitigation, at a displayed armor rating of 567..." later in the same paragraph is states... "With Fortify Smithing enchanted apparel and Fortify Smithing potions you can boost Smithing even further, which can potentially allow ANY material for which a Smithing perk exists to reach the cap." also shortly after it states that.. "With the aid of enchanting (fortify smithing) and pre-made enchanting and smithing potions, and of course the appropriate armor perks, you can reach the armor cap with any style or type of armor in the game, even hide and iron armor. All without even using a shield." meaning, at face value, no "hidden" armor rating necessary, that you can reach the armor cap of 567, which is stated in the first line, AND reach the 80% physical damage mitigation without having to have a set bonus or anything else. Solid statement, mitigation caps at 80%...this occurs with a 567 displayed armor rating when wearing 4 Pieces of armor...It doesnt say What 4 pieces of armor, and the latter statements clarify that it Can be reached with ANY 4 pieces of armor...There's no other way to look at it.

So before you accuse someone of lacking reading comprehension, make sure you have an abundance of it yourself please. :)