• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Hello fellow Dragonborns, I've just had the world of Skyrim react to my actions that weren't related to a quest (I think).

I was walking to Riften, and had just passed through Shor's Stone. Just outside of Shor's Stone is a fort, Fort Greenwall. Usually Fort Greenwall is occupied by bandits (if you haven't started the Civil War questline). Well the bandits attacked the Dragonborn and well, the Dragonborn did what annoyed Dragonborns do to bandits. Almost immediately after clearing the fort I received a quick fetch quest and I went to complete it, afterwards when I came back through Fort Greenwall the Stormcloaks had occupied it, bringing along a horse that I can freely borrow.

This is a bit surprising (and cool) to me simply because the world of Skyrim doesn't usually seem to react to anything, except to events happening after the final quest in a major questline.

So what unexpected depth have you encountered in Skyrim?

(also, why is it that I can't borrow a horse from any of the Imperial/Stormcloak camps if I join a side, but (without even being a member of the Stormcloaks) I clear a random fort from bandits and the Stormcloaks are like "thanks bro, you can borrow our horse"?)

Alysa Roesch

Master Theif
I'm defiantly going to try this! I usually just run on through that fort not even bothering with the bandits figuring they'd just be back next time I came through. As for the horse I've always wondered the same thing while playing the civil war quest line, here I am wearing general armor and I can't even use the horses?

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Whenever I clear Fort Greymoor of bandits, it immediately ends up occupied by Imperial forces. Actually it's kind of amazing that, as soon as the last bandit is dead, there they are! Apparently they've been hiding outside the whole time waiting for somebody to come and take care of the problem. :)

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
What I hate is when you get a horse like that, then it gets shot out from under you and dies while it's running, and you get a major road rash from falling and rolling on the ground for about 50 feet.

Chadonraz

I've had that happen with Hraggstad (wasn't doing "Joining the Legion").

I'd cleared out Hraggstad, and the next time I went there it was occupied by Imperials. Not that I realized that until after shooting one of them. Ended up "clearing" the fort again, just because that was what I'd intended to do. :p
The fort never got new occupants of any kind after that.

I've cleared at least Snowhawk and Dunstad (the latter because it's literally in the middle of a road to Dawnstar) of their necromancer and bandit occupants, but soldiers haven't taken over. The baddies always come back after the 10-day reset. Which is kinda annoying, especially with Dunstad. :/

Oh, and the Stormcloaks did take over a cleared Fort Amol once.

I should really clear Kastav and hope it gets taken over by the Stormies. Those mages are just a huge pain in the behind, especially since they respawn so quickly. I rarely go to Winterhold along that particular road anymore, unless I've done the CW. -.-

Lucid

I should really clear Kastav and hope it gets taken over by the Stormies. Those mages are just a huge pain in the behind, especially since they respawn so quickly. I rarely go to Winterhold along that particular road anymore, unless I've done the CW. -.-

What a coincidence, I was thinking this same thing. Those Necromancers at Fort Kastav always give me a hard time. Especially with the non-magic character I'm playing right now. After reading this thread yesterday, I went in last night and killed everybody inside and out of Kastav. The Stormies never showed up :sadface: I still have my fingers crossed that they will.

Daelon DuLac

What a coincidence, I was thinking this same thing. Those Necromancers at Fort Kastav always give me a hard time. Especially with the non-magic character I'm playing right now. After reading this thread yesterday, I went in last night and killed everybody inside and out of Kastav. The Stormies never showed up :sadface: I still have my fingers crossed that they will.
The only solution I found was to do the Civil War quest and do it as Imperial. At least then there are Imperials @ Kastav. No more mages to worry about and no Stormies endlessly trying to bully you when you go past. At least the imperials have some manners.

Chadonraz

The only solution I found was to do the Civil War quest and do it as Imperial. At least then there are Imperials @ Kastav. No more mages to worry about and no Stormies endlessly trying to bully you when you go past. At least the imperials have some manners.

Dunstad and Greenwall, too. Helping the Imps win definitely makes travelling to Winterhold, Dawnstar and Riften significantly easier. :D
If you join the Stormies, you'll be able to pass Snowhawk without any trouble. :)

The other forts aren't that troublesome even with their initial occupants.
Maybe I should some day do the CW for the sole purpose of being able to pass forts more safely. xD

Wildroses

This thread inspired me. My current character blew all her money on training her smithing skills before deciding she wanted to live in Solitude and is currently scrambling for cash. I thought: "Hey, I could clear out Fort Greenwall of all those bandits! What a great idea."

Killed everyone outside, inside and in prison. Took stuff to Riften to sell, not worrying much about weight and price as I was planning to sell absolutely everything. Walked back. Took stuff to Shor's Stone to sell. Walked back. It was late, and I have a mod which adds tiredness, so I decided to spend the night in Riften and walk back in the morning. There were several bodies left to loot, including the bandit chief. Walked inside Fort Greenwall...to a Stormcloak soldier who unsheathed her sword and said: "You're trespassing here. Better clear out."

I think this settles the eternal conundrum quite decisively. Side with the Imperials and down with the Stormcloaks!

Ulfberht

Slaughterer of Bunnies.
This thread inspired me. My current character blew all her money on training her smithing skills before deciding she wanted to live in Solitude and is currently scrambling for cash. I thought: "Hey, I could clear out Fort Greenwall of all those bandits! What a great idea."

Killed everyone outside, inside and in prison. Took stuff to Riften to sell, not worrying much about weight and price as I was planning to sell absolutely everything. Walked back. Took stuff to Shor's Stone to sell. Walked back. It was late, and I have a mod which adds tiredness, so I decided to spend the night in Riften and walk back in the morning. There were several bodies left to loot, including the bandit chief. Walked inside Fort Greenwall...to a Stormcloak soldier who unsheathed her sword and said: "You're trespassing here. Better clear out."

I think this settles the eternal conundrum quite decisively. Side with the Imperials and down with the Stormcloaks!
Unfair! The Stormcloak didn't know you were the one that gave them the fort! It's just a simple misunderstanding!

Daelon DuLac

Unfair! The Stormcloak didn't know you were the one that gave them the fort! It's just a simple misunderstanding!
Oh please. Whenever the Stormies take something over they're surly and violent and will attack you if you don't clear out. The Imperials do not do that. With the stormies it's particularly a problem if you're not a Nord, but they'll do it to a Nord too.

Ulfberht

Slaughterer of Bunnies.

Oh please. Whenever the Stormies take something over they're surly and violent and will attack you if you don't clear out. The Imperials do not do that. With the stormies it's particularly a problem if you're not a Nord, but they'll do it to a Nord too.
Lies. Imperials have threatened me when I neared their castle. They're just as rude as the Stormcloaks. Not to mention they attacked me when I rode past them on the road. Shot arrows at my beloved horse.

Daelon DuLac

Lies. Imperials have threatened me when I neared their castle. They're just as rude as the Stormcloaks. Not to mention they attacked me when I rode past them on the road. Shot arrows at my beloved horse.
Really? They have never (and I do mean never and I've gone through the game at least 2 dozen times at this point) so much as peeped or threatened me where as the Stormies, even when I'm on their side always threaten me (and sometimes attack). I thought it was just a built in game dynamic, but, apparently I'm wrong. Sorry! :) Of course I just go past the castle/fort/encampment/passing group (or through 'em in some cases). I will admit that they do become very hostile if I'm sneaking around though. Everybody does. :)

Ulfberht

Slaughterer of Bunnies.
Really? They have never (and I do mean never and I've gone through the game at least 2 dozen times at this point) so much as peeped or threatened me where as the Stormies, even when I'm on their side always threaten me (and sometimes attack). I thought it was just a built in game dynamic, but, apparently I'm wrong. Sorry! :) Of course I just go past the castle/fort/encampment/passing group (or through 'em in some cases). I will admit that they do become very hostile if I'm sneaking around though. Everybody does. :)
Yeah. Imperials are mean to me, even before I joined the Stormcloaks I guess they just hated my face.

Daelon DuLac

Yeah. Imperials are mean to me, even before I joined the Stormcloaks I guess they just hated my face.
That's a shame. As vindictive as I am it's a wonder they don't hate me too, after all, for the 1st 10 levels or so I kill every Imperial, Stormcloak, Thalmor and Vigilan of Stendarr I can find (for they're stuff - I like steel arrows early game and that's the easiest way to get them and I can get a buttload of cash for the robes and armor!). It must make it difficult to choose a side, but, if the Imperials were treating me like crap all the time I'd probably just join the stormies where I could be treated like crap and accomplish something. :)

Ulfberht

Slaughterer of Bunnies.
That's a shame. As vindictive as I am it's a wonder they don't hate me too, after all, for the 1st 10 levels or so I kill every Imperial, Stormcloak, Thalmor and Vigilan of Stendarr I can find (for they're stuff - I like steel arrows early game and that's the easiest way to get them and I can get a buttload of cash for the robes and armor!). It must make it difficult to choose a side, but, if the Imperials were treating me like crap all the time I'd probably just join the stormies where I could be treated like crap and accomplish something. :)
Those Stendarr people annoy me. They think they're so tough until you shout them across the entirety of Skyrim.