• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
So I started a new character the other day which i dont do overly often, and as i was watching the opening scenes, a thought occured to me:

Why is Ulfric; the leader of the rebellion, the killer of Kings, being executed in front of a measly crowd of mostly Imperial grunts and peasants in the smallish town of Helgen???

Surely the Imperial Legion would want to put on the biggest spectacle and show as they executed this important figure head? The platform in Solitude where that nord, Roggvir gets his head chopped off is surely a more fitting place to Kill of the Stormcloak Leader...

Disclaimer: I realise with anything to do with Stormcloaks or Ulfric, people can get a bit emotional and defensive. I politely ask that name-calling, bad ratings and just general rudeness be kept to an absolute minimum in this thread. Thanks guys :p

seeker23

Looking for the Snitch in Skyrim...
Well quite a valid observation Irishman. Maybe its because Ulfric's such a big threat and they wanted him eliminated as soon as possible. Preventing him from escaping or being rescued during the ride to Solitude.

Or because Bethesda probably thought with the destruction planned for Alduin to make him look impressive, having Helgen destroyed was easier than having Solitude destroyed. "You can't have Solitude in rubble at the beginning of the game. It is a GREAT city.:cool::cool::cool:"

OR MAYBE BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THE WRITER WANTED AND WHAT'S IT TO ME WHETHER ULFRIC'S EXECUTION IS AT HELGEN OR FOR ALL I CARE AT SOLITUDE. :p:p Hm....???

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
The Thalmor, they were trying to stop the execution. They were heading for Cyrodiil, then Tullius changed plans. Thalmor would of been keeping eyes on the convoy to find a way to ambush them and release Ulfric. They ended up beating Tullius there after he diverted.

Trying to find some way to convince him to not go through with it. Which judging how the execution went ahead, he must of told Elenwen to piss off more or less.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
Well quite a valid observation Irishman. Maybe its because Ulfric's such a big threat and they wanted him eliminated as soon as possible. Preventing him from escaping or being rescued during the ride to Solitude.

Or because Bethesda probably thought with the destruction planned for Alduin to make him look impressive, having Helgen destroyed was easier than having Solitude destroyed. "You can't have Solitude in rubble at the beginning of the game. It is a GREAT city.:cool::cool::cool:"

OR MAYBE BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THE WRITER WANTED AND WHAT'S IT TO ME WHETHER ULFRIC'S EXECUTION IS AT HELGEN OR FOR ALL I CARE AT SOLITUDE. :p:p Hm....???

Yeah, while the destruction of Solitude would look cool, im glad they decided to use Helgen instead!

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
The Thalmor, they were trying to stop the execution. They were heading for Cyrodiil, then Tullius changed plans. Thalmor would of been keeping eyes on the convoy to find a way to ambush them and release Ulfric. They ended up beating Tullius there after he diverted.

Trying to find some way to convince him to not go through with it. Which judging how the execution went ahead, he must of told Elenwen to piss off more or less.

Thats very interesting! Where did you learn all that?

ps. i like the new Sig and 'Intoxicated Arch-Mage' :D slightly more formal than 'pissed wizard'!

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage

ps. i like the new Sig and 'Intoxicated Arch-Mage' :D slightly more formal than 'pissed wizard'!

From Tullius knowing the Thalmor are behind it all. Also the dossier on Ulfric and Hadvar/Ralof's dialogue.

Operational Notes: Direct contact remains a possibility (under extreme circumstances), but in general the asset should be considered dormant. As long as the civil war proceeds in its current indecisive fashion, we should remain hands-off. The incident at Helgen is an example where an exception had to be made - obviously Ulfric's death would have dramatically increased the chance of an Imperial victory and thus harmed our overall position in Skyrim.- Thalmor Dossier, Ulfric Stormcloak

"A masterstroke by General Tullius! He's only been in charge here for a few months, but he's turned things around for the Empire. We've been trying to catch Ulfric since the war started, but he always seemed to slip through our fingers... like he knew we were coming. This time, the General turned the tables on him. Ulfric rode right into our ambush with only a few bodyguards. He surrendered pretty meekly, too. So much for his death-or-glory reputation. I thought we were taking Ulfric back to Cyrodiil, but I guess the General changed his mind. You know the rest." - Hadvar

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member

From Tullius knowing the Thalmor are behind it all. Also the dossier on Ulfric and Hadvar/Ralof's dialogue.

Operational Notes: Direct contact remains a possibility (under extreme circumstances), but in general the asset should be considered dormant. As long as the civil war proceeds in its current indecisive fashion, we should remain hands-off. The incident at Helgen is an example where an exception had to be made - obviously Ulfric's death would have dramatically increased the chance of an Imperial victory and thus harmed our overall position in Skyrim.- Thalmor Dossier, Ulfric Stormcloak

"A masterstroke by General Tullius! He's only been in charge here for a few months, but he's turned things around for the Empire. We've been trying to catch Ulfric since the war started, but he always seemed to slip through our fingers... like he knew we were coming. This time, the General turned the tables on him. Ulfric rode right into our ambush with only a few bodyguards. He surrendered pretty meekly, too. So much for his death-or-glory reputation. I thought we were taking Ulfric back to Cyrodiil, but I guess the General changed his mind. You know the rest." - Hadvar

Hmm i read that dossier before to :oops:

very interesting! that explains a lot Mage...

ColleenG

When in doubt, follow the fox.
Huh. I never actually read those dossiers. Back to the question though, it seems like Ulfric would be executed in Helgen because Tullius is a pragmatic man.

JoeReese

I just chalked it up to them wanting to find a central place, where you could go in any direction, and where you're near the stones, near the beginner stores of Riverwood, etc. Not sure if that's their actual reason, but it worked for me.

AS88

Staff member

Beat me to it, as usual :rolleyes:

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I suggest they decide to do it in Helgen 'cause they really don't give a flyin' fig about Ulfrich or his rep and just want to be rid of him. I still say it's my fault that Alduin showed up, not Ulfrich's. I'm quite sure that Alduin doesn't give a dern about Ulfrich, the war or anything else in Skyrim. BTW: Why is Alduin concentrating on Skyrim? Wouldn't it be more effective to go after Cyrodil? Of course, there are an awful lot of dragons to bring back in Skyrim and a lot less people to be able to shoot at them... hmmm.

AS88

Staff member

AS88

Staff member
Reactions: Atz

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
I just chalked it up to them wanting to find a central place, where you could go in any direction, and where you're near the stones, near the beginner stores of Riverwood, etc. Not sure if that's their actual reason, but it worked for me.

Dont get me wrong, Helgen is a good starting location. Its just the Legion seem a little show ponyish and i was surprised they werent making a bigger deal about it all.

Even people you talk to after you escape Alduin dont know that the Stormcloak Leader (TAD:p) had nearly had his head chopped off...

I thought for sure at least those nosy guards would know!

Sven

Real-life Nord
Tullius was pushing the things fast-forward because he was scared the someone(Thalmor or Stormcloaks)would try to free Ulfric.

Never did he anticipate Alduin reappearing after being banished for ages.Imagine his surprise.

And then again:
bad-luck-alduin_o_1218013.jpg

Tyer032392

I imagine that there were probably a few reasons as to why Bethesda chose Helgan.

1. To make Alduin look impressive and show the player who their mortal enemy shall be. I don't think anyone would forget an ugly as hell black dragon nearly killing them and leveling an entire city.
2. Tullius wanted to get rid of Ulfric as soon as possible so that he would not be resuced by either the Thalmor or the Stormcloaks.
3. Maybe Ulfric said something about Tullius's mother.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Also because Helgan is close to the Cyrodiil border, it seems to have been a major garrison judging by all the Imperial banners. Thalmor wouldn't be able to do much to get Ulfric out of the hands of an entire garrison.