Review Top 5 games like Skyrim

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Elpisaur

I just don't understand. When I played Fallout I was bored in 20 minutes. Either I was shooting something or something was shooting at me. Of course it doesn't help that I'm a major opponent of guns in the first place. Shooters are great if you like to do your fighting at range, but not so good up close. I just wished there were more up close and personal options. There probably are, but I didn't find any other than some weird club like thing that really didn't even work very well.

If you had even given the game a chance, you wouldn't be criticizing it as harshly and bluntly as you are now. Fallout has a very in-depth story and world, you just have to learn to look beyond the actual, physical elements of the game. Just like Skyrim or Oblivion. There's a whole world of lore beyond just slashing at things with swords or shooting at things with guns. Your opinion, while somewhat valid, is laced with the stench of hypocrisy. Saying Fallout is nothing but shooting things is like saying Skyrim is nothing but stabbing things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1.
Now let me ask you a question, Fallout 3 > New Vegas?

Delusional

Connoisseur of Hallucinations
Fallout 3, all the way.

Kristin_Guminski

Here's my thoughts. Take it or leave it:

You didn't really do a comprehensive comparison of the games to Skyrim. For a person who hasn't played any of those games and only bothered to research Dark Souls in the past, I didn't really get a sense of the features similar or missing from those titles.

For instance, you only bothered to mention whether the world was open or not on a couple titles. That is kinda big to me as that is generally the core of my Skyrim experience. You didn't mention skill-trees at all. Based on my previous research I know that Dark Souls has a tree of some sort but I don't know whether the other games mimic Skyrim in that effect.

You didn't mention graphics with the exception of the first game. The release date of the games would have been nice as well.

Gamplay mechanics themselves could easily surpass Skyrim which you mentioned in at least one of the game reviews, but you didn't bother pointing it out for all of them.

How about character creation? Typically, games with pre-rendered cutscenes are not going to allow much character customization (I expect from what you showed from the Witcher you are stuck with the one face).

One of the biggest reasons most of the folks here are still playing Skyrim is the role-playing possibilities. I can choose whether or not I want to any and every quest I come across (including the main quest). Certain dungeons and areas might not be accessible if I choose to follow a path that rejects the quest but not very much is off limits. I think you should have at least mentioned in your review if such possibilities exist within the titles named. For instance, I expect the games that force you to follow the storyline to progress to new lands are not going to work well with the role-playing folks.

As I said, take it or leave it. This is just my impression, as a person who has never played any of those games.
Hey I'm new not sure how forums work. U seem to know what your talking about. I'm stuck in a location can't fast travel due to carry weight, I wld like to keep it if possible. I'm in the forgotten vale trying to get back to skyrim. What is the paths u take? I'm following my mini map but seem to be running in circles. Any ideas?

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Hey I'm new not sure how forums work. U seem to know what your talking about. I'm stuck in a location can't fast travel due to carry weight, I wld like to keep it if possible. I'm in the forgotten vale trying to get back to skyrim. What is the paths u take? I'm following my mini map but seem to be running in circles. Any ideas?

This is a bit off topic, but that's ok. Normally, you would want to post this in a thread that's about fast traveling or carry weight or something. If there isn't a thread, it's totally ok to create your own so long as you don't spam (post too many) the forum with topics.

But to answer your question, the best thing I would suggest for you to do, if you're not against fast traveling, is to store your excess gear in a barrel or something nearby. Fast travel to where you can drop your stuff off, fast travel back, grab what remains from the barrel, and fast travel to where you can drop things off again.

Also, can't stress this enough... SAVE FIRST. You never know what could happen.

If you're RPing or something, this can be a problem, but if you're just playing the game without any self-imposed limitations then that is your best bet.

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
I just don't understand. When I played Fallout I was bored in 20 minutes. Either I was shooting something or something was shooting at me. Of course it doesn't help that I'm a major opponent of guns in the first place. Shooters are great if you like to do your fighting at range, but not so good up close. I just wished there were more up close and personal options. There probably are, but I didn't find any other than some weird club like thing that really didn't even work very well.

If you had even given the game a chance, you wouldn't be criticizing it as harshly and bluntly as you are now. Fallout has a very in-depth story and world, you just have to learn to look beyond the actual, physical elements of the game. Just like Skyrim or Oblivion. There's a whole world of lore beyond just slashing at things with swords or shooting at things with guns. Your opinion, while somewhat valid, is laced with the stench of hypocrisy. Saying Fallout is nothing but shooting things is like saying Skyrim is nothing but stabbing things.

Don't mind Daelon. He seems to enjoy bashing Fallout 3 as some sort of side hobby so it's just best to let him have it. :)

I do find it amusing that he keeps fixating on the guns aspect when Fallout 3 is more about EXPLORATION. Not shooting stuff, that's just a bonus. The real fun is wandering around and unlocking all the cool, if not completely over the top, story lines and hidden areas. There are some spots where I wander through and wonder what kind of horrible thing took place while listening to the most upbeat music you can imagine while finding easter egg after easter egg and cool, unique gear stashed everywhere.

Too bad the isometric minded, turn based older crowd bashes it so hard. Even that's actually pretty silly. There is a well known Fallout site that bashes Fallout 3 like it's a hobby. They proclaim that Fallout 3 will never be remembered as a great game as they continue to passionately complain about it 5 years later with no sign of relenting.

In my mind, the Fallout universe and the Elder Scrolls universe are equal in quality with Elder Scrolls having and edge to it being more established and refined. Fallout 4 will be extremely interesting. Can't wait.

You hear that Daelon? Can't wait to get all...

rambo.jpg

... in Fallout 4! YEA BABY!!!

Delusional

YEAH! FALLOUT 4! GET PUMPED!

Annageckos

Do you have Arvak? Are you able to summons him? You can't fast travel when you are over your carry weight, but you can if you are on a horse. Do you have a follower you can give some stuff to?

W'rkncacnter

Mister Freeze
I think you can fast travel if you take a potion that changes your carry weight temporarily.

The real trick is to realize that money is rarely an issue in this game and to stop collecting every fancy knick-knack you find. Sure that war hammer with a fancy enchantment looks cool, but are you really ever going to use it? Do you need to learn the enchantment? If not, it probably isn't worth the additional weight. I've had personal role-play restrictions on certain characters where they couldn't carry more than was what I considered realistic which generally limited them to looting gems and gold.

Free yourself from the hoarding mentality!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I think you can fast travel if you take a potion that changes your carry weight temporarily.

The real trick is to realize that money is rarely an issue in this game and to stop collecting every fancy knick-knack you find. Sure that war hammer with a fancy enchantment looks cool, but are you really ever going to use it? Do you need to learn the enchantment? If not, it probably isn't worth the additional weight. I've had personal role-play restrictions on certain characters where they couldn't carry more than was what I considered realistic which generally limited them to looting gems and gold.

Free yourself from the hoarding mentality!
Frankly you can make better money simply collecting alchemy ingredients, ore and hides so that you can craft your own stuff rather than just picking up everything you can find. Oh! And daggers (if you can't craft 'em in quantity) and any soul gems you can get your hands on. If you go for enchanting, early on use the damage/absorb health & stamina enchantments you can get almost anywhere (turn undead works as well) and move up to banish when you can find it.

I find that simply collecting coins, gems, jewelry and creating my own items and potions is far more affective than collecting pointless items. If you find a warhammer with a 5pt fire enchantment, you can probably leave it since there's bound to be a lighter item (bow, sword, dagger) with a similar enchantment you can learn close by.

Just my thoughts.

As to your overencumbrance, just find the closest container (there's always one nearby) and leave some of it there and then come back and get it. If there are no containers, drop some weapons (weapons only! or shields will work) and then come back for them. They don't disappear for some reason, but armor or anything else will if you drop it and leave the area. That's a trick I learned long ago when I'm trying to build coins in the first few levels to purchase spells. :)

LotusEater

YEAH! FALLOUT 4! GET PUMPED!

I still haven't played New Vegas. I'm gonna wait till I start seeing some serious news and possible release dates for Fallout 4 before playing NV. I've been tempted to give Fallout 1 and 2 a twirl but I'm more than old enough to remember isometric, turn based games very clearly and I don't really have any desire to play that sort of format anymore though I have no doubt regarding the claims that they were groundbreaking and awesome, just was never a huge fan of isometric type RP's in general.

Delusional

I have Fallout 1 and 2 on Steam, but after playing 20 minutes of Fallout 1, I couldn't keep playing. It's so difficult to get into the isometric Fallout when you're so used to first person Fallout.

LotusEater

I have Fallout 1 and 2 on Steam, but after playing 20 minutes of Fallout 1, I couldn't keep playing. It's so difficult to get into the isometric Fallout when you're so used to first person Fallout.

Ya... then I have no chance of getting in to them which is a shame because I'd like to play the storyline.

Elpisaur

Do you have Arvak? Are you able to summons him? You can't fast travel when you are over your carry weight, but you can if you are on a horse. Do you have a follower you can give some stuff to?

If the guy is as new as he's saying he is, i'd think it wouldn't cause too much harm for him to drop some of his weighty items in order to travel faster, since it's most likely basic, invaluable items.

Elpisaur

I'm thinking about creating a list of the top 10 more successful games from Bethseda's, would anybody be interested in that?

Stalker

Two worlds two is similar to the elder scrolls.

Hercules of Hegathe

Son of Hammerfell, King of Solitude.
Hello everybody, I had just finished putting together a video on youtube, briefly showcasing my top 5 picks for games that are very similar to Skyrim,
I thought you guys from the skyrim forums community might want to check these out
smile.png

Very good games. When Im not playing Skyrim I like to play Oblivion, wich is obvious but I also turn to Assassins Creed Black Flag and Rogue, Far Cry and even GTA 5. Im a typical redguard so my choice of games are similair to each other at a certain level.

I think Shadow of Mordor comes close to its likeness but I dont have it.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts