• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

adrian-smith31

Argonian
Spambots can get around that - spammers set up a 'throwaway' email address (or use a compromised i.e hacked server on a genuine domain) and then configure the spambot to check that mail account for the confirmation emails. The spambot program then replies to the email confirming the account.

Software such as forum poster and xrumer can do this so email confirmation does not stop them. They are very clever programs which can beat image based captcha systems. However a good Q&A captcha system does stop 95% of the spam.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
When I came on this morning there were 5 SPAM items on the front page of the General Discussion. I'm tired of reporting. I'll just have to ignore them and pray they go away. Kind of like my money problems? :)

adrian-smith31

Argonian
Pfft.. Money problems never go away. :) Well mine did for a few months but then major expenses in the form of car repairs threw a spanner in the works.

Daelon DuLac

Pfft.. Money problems never go away. :) Well mine did for a few months but then major expenses in the form of car repairs threw a spanner in the works.
Wish I had those problems. Mine are always caused by an overspending wife! :) Besides, I'm joking. :)

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
I have no idea why the mods aren't deleting those threads. I understand that this forum is seeing less traffic lately but c'mon. How hard is to delete these threads? If the mods are gonna be too lazy to deal with them, at least give the power to someone who actually still cares.

Daelon DuLac

I have no idea why the mods aren't deleting those threads. I understand that this forum is seeing less traffic lately but c'mon. How hard is to delete these threads? If the mods are gonna be too lazy to deal with them, at least give the power to someone who actually still cares.
No a lot of traffic? How's about none at all until you posted (at least on the strings I'm following). It's getting so it's hardly worth it to post anymore. :) Maybe everybody's stopped playing?

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
No a lot of traffic? How's about none at all until you posted (at least on the strings I'm following). It's getting so it's hardly worth it to post anymore. :) Maybe everybody's stopped playing?

I didn't realize it had gotten that slow. I just started a new build to take a break from Fallout so I figured I'd swing by and start at least lurking again. We could each start about 8 threads and push them off the page I guess. :)

SaveVsBedWet

Just out of curiosity, why would you leave the forums because there are a few spam threads being posted? I know they're annoying, but just report them and that's that.

Also, I kinda like Raido's idea of a minimun number of posts before being allowed to create a thread. Maybe that would cut down on the spam threads?
I'm not one for searching through more than the 1st page for posts to reply or comment on. This morning, I'm looking at the forum and a good 1/2 of the posts are SPAM. It's just too much to sort through and, to me it seems like a precedence is being set that they are acceptable as they remain there for days before going bye-bye. I find SPAM in my email unacceptable, why would I expect less from a forum that has, for over a year now been almost SPAM free. I luv this place but I'm not about to start sorting through arcane crap that has nothing to do with Skyrim in order to find that little nugget that might be good.

I too agree with Raido. It sounds like a good idea to me.

I see your point. I guess I just don't find it quite that annoying because I generally don't seem to use these forums as much as you do.

Not sure it matters how much the forums are used. That's like saying because you don't drive your car much that it doesn't matter that when you do the motor blows.

I have to agree that this only seemed to start up about a week and a half to two weeks ago, indicating that whatever changed was very recent and can probably be undone from memory or easily addressed. Could be a config setting or could be some crew of asshats that have just now found this forum and decided to muck it up with garbage. Either way it can be done without, be it for one visit or one hundred and it looks like people are starting to wonder why it remains.

Jurgarik Greycloak

Techno master of Tamriel.
I agree. I have been recently returning to the bethsoft (official) forums. They are much calmer there with the spam, or lack thereof.

Cherry

Farfetch'd is judging you!
I'm not one for searching through more than the 1st page for posts to reply or comment on. This morning, I'm looking at the forum and a good 1/2 of the posts are SPAM. It's just too much to sort through and, to me it seems like a precedence is being set that they are acceptable as they remain there for days before going bye-bye. I find SPAM in my email unacceptable, why would I expect less from a forum that has, for over a year now been almost SPAM free. I luv this place but I'm not about to start sorting through arcane crap that has nothing to do with Skyrim in order to find that little nugget that might be good.

I too agree with Raido. It sounds like a good idea to me.

I see your point. I guess I just don't find it quite that annoying because I generally don't seem to use these forums as much as you do.

Not sure it matters how much the forums are used. That's like saying because you don't drive your car much that it doesn't matter that when you do the motor blows.

I have to agree that this only seemed to start up about a week and a half to two weeks ago, indicating that whatever changed was very recent and can probably be undone from memory or easily addressed. Could be a config setting or could be some crew of asshats that have just now found this forum and decided to muck it up with garbage. Either way it can be done without, be it for one visit or one hundred and it looks like people are starting to wonder why it remains.

To be clear, I didn't mean that the spam isn't an issue. What I meant was that I don't visit this forum quite often enough to find spam threads that annoying. They don't stop me from posting.

Also, your car metaphor got a chuckle out of me :D

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts