Thoughts on non-quest exploring

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ah3nos

I heavily mod my game. However, I don't add quest mods. Mine are all bug fixes, graphics and lore friendly game play mods. An example is Frostfall. It's a hypothermia, camping survival mod which makes it so you need to camp by a fire, get indoors when your exposure is too high, avoid frigid cold water, etc. There is also realistic needs and diseases which actually makes use of all that food and the beds in Skyrim, requiring you to eat and sleep or suffer penalties to your skills. Those are fun kind of mods.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Daucus

I got the mod that blocks fast travel, and spent most of my time exploring and crafting. Still have yet to play the dragonborn dlc, which I've gotten on the first day.

Skyrim was created as an explore rpg game, along with all tes and other Bethesda.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
Non quest exploring is what keeps me coming back to good ol' skyrim. I have made characters who have made huge progressions without doing any quests, just living as something like a hunter, or bounty hunter... or both! haha.

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
As I'm getting a little bored with the quests (main), and the only two I have left are the thieves and blades ones, I was thinking about doing some exploring. While I could just wander the roads, I was thinking of exploring the northern coast. Starting at Dawnstar I would head west along the coast and then east.

Has anyone done this? Are there interesting things along the way?

I'm also going to explore Labyrinthian (I forgot to get the dragon word there when I was on a quest and have discovered there's a second tomb there).

Beyond that I'm not sure where to go. I don't seem to be finding any other quests out there no matter who I talk to. I guess I'll have to look over my bible 'cause there's a lot of places I can't proceed in that are obviously quest related.

Any time you see a cave or something of the sort... GO IN! you will always find something that made it worth your while. I once made a Scientist of sorts whose only goal was to explore every dwemer ruin he could find haha that was a fun character ( I was running out of things to do Pre-DLCs) but yeah become an expert cave delver haha you'll find some awesome stuff along the way. Being a Wanderer is awesome haha going around aimlessly. hope this was some help.

jarif

How can you say you enjoy Skyrim when you alter the game to be completely different... I can see fixing bugs, changing graphics and alternating looks, but adding new guilds, quests, Cave simulator, completely changing the game. Why play Skyrim at all. Don't get me wrong you have the right to do what you do... I just don't get it.
im just saying that there are 100 of caves that can be used for mods and dlc but for consoles there is no real point to explore them, maby you misunderstood unless roleplay

Declando

Dwarvenborn
The Labyrinthian is a great place to explore, I didn't even know about the Minor Maze that was there until I had completely finished a large majority of then game.

Collecting the Dragon Masks was a blast too.

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
Well I did that and I found a cave in the Rift. FULL of Glowing Mushrooms! EXACTLY what I needed! But the place was full with Falmers

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I heavily mod my game. However, I don't add quest mods. Mine are all bug fixes, graphics and lore friendly game play mods. An example is Frostfall. It's a hypothermia, camping survival mod which makes it so you need to camp by a fire, get indoors when your exposure is too high, avoid frigid cold water, etc. There is also realistic needs and diseases which actually makes use of all that food and the beds in Skyrim, requiring you to eat and sleep or suffer penalties to your skills. Those are fun kind of mods.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
Fun? Boy you are immersive. That stuff would be no fun to me at all. It's a video game! I don't like being sick in real life. The last thing I want is for my fantasy character to be! You go dude, but I just ain't got the balls for that kinda stuff.

Declando

Dwarvenborn
Fun? Boy you are immersive. That stuff would be no fun to me at all. It's a video game! I don't like being sick in real life. The last thing I want is for my fantasy character to be! You go dude, but I just ain't got the balls for that kinda stuff.
I use this mod combo.

It's actually really fun, since the effects of the mod have effects on your combat capabilities; for example, being in a cold/freezing state will cause your stamina to regenerate more slowly. And being tired means you can carry less.

This essentially splits skyrim into two parts, the north, which is cold and barren, meaning it is a lot more difficult to fight and survive up there, and the south, the warm and fruitful part of skyrim, where...well, it's easier to survive :p

Immersion is fun, see :D

Daelon DuLac

I use this mod combo.

It's actually really fun, since the effects of the mod have effects on your combat capabilities; for example, being in a cold/freezing state will cause your stamina to regenerate more slowly. And being tired means you can carry less.

This essentially splits skyrim into two parts, the north, which is cold and barren, meaning it is a lot more difficult to fight and survive up there, and the south, the warm and fruitful part of skyrim, where...well, it's easier to survive :p

Immersion is fun, see :D
I repeat.. Fun? Oye! Dude, you have my admiration. I can't even remember how to get from one place to another or the names of the people I deal with every day, let alone to eat and sleep... I'd never survive! :)

berzum

Why is the alto wine always gone?
what i do for exploring is i start out hunting animals and then i wind up in the middle of no where cos i spooked a deer so now im chasing it across skyrim, and then I see a cave or dwemer ruin and just go for a quick look and next thing i know I'm in so deep that I have to keep moving forward or I might never get out, best example is the dwemer ruin in markath, the one where you have to kill the giant spider....yeah just go poke around in there it is quite big not as big as black reach but it's pretty neat.

Daelon DuLac

what i do for exploring is i start out hunting animals and then i wind up in the middle of no where cos i spooked a deer so now im chasing it across skyrim, and then I see a cave or dwemer ruin and just go for a quick look and next thing i know I'm in so deep that I have to keep moving forward or I might never get out, best example is the dwemer ruin in markath, the one where you have to kill the giant spider....yeah just go poke around in there it is quite big not as big as black reach but it's pretty neat.
Whenever I feel like I've done everything, I just run in to something else. There is still one Dwemer ruin I've never done (the one up by Winterhelm on the other side of the mountains) and I still want to explore Labyrinthian. I'll get there eventually.

berzum

Whenever I feel like I've done everything, I just run in to something else. There is still one Dwemer ruin I've never done (the one up by Winterhelm on the other side of the mountains) and I still want to explore Labyrinthian. I'll get there eventually.
that dwemer ruin you are talking about, there two one for the thieves guild, and the other one lol, the theives guild on I will say be carful after you have done the mercer quest for the falmer eye becasue once u finish quest you can not enter the room with the falmer statue because the door is locked permantly, and you have to jump down to ledge...only way out is to reload (i have made the mistake trust me lol) but the other dwemer ruin by windhelm is a good sized one as well, I go there alot to get dwemer metal, on a normal clearing of it i get roughly 60-80 dwemer ingots, and thats not counting the ones i cant get b/c It will make me over weight lol, I like dwemer ruin mostly cos they are open, but also because it makes me wonder how they built them, oh and on the other post u made about the dlc solsteim has a really awsome dwemer ruin it's part of a quest and I wont say anymore but i think you will like it, it was my fave dwemer ruin of them all.....one lil hint though I hope you know how to hold your breath (lol trust me you will be amazed)

Daelon DuLac

that dwemer ruin you are talking about, there two one for the thieves guild, and the other one lol, the theives guild on I will say be carful after you have done the mercer quest for the falmer eye becasue once u finish quest you can not enter the room with the falmer statue because the door is locked permantly, and you have to jump down to ledge...only way out is to reload (i have made the mistake trust me lol) but the other dwemer ruin by windhelm is a good sized one as well, I go there alot to get dwemer metal, on a normal clearing of it i get roughly 60-80 dwemer ingots, and thats not counting the ones i cant get b/c It will make me over weight lol, I like dwemer ruin mostly cos they are open, but also because it makes me wonder how they built them, oh and on the other post u made about the dlc solsteim has a really awsome dwemer ruin it's part of a quest and I wont say anymore but i think you will like it, it was my fave dwemer ruin of them all.....one lil hint though I hope you know how to hold your breath (lol trust me you will be amazed)
Finally! A use for that helmet!

Daelon DuLac

Well I did that and I found a cave in the Rift. FULL of Glowing Mushrooms! EXACTLY what I needed! But the place was full with Falmers
And Chauruses (Charusai?). Don't forget the Chaurus! I love that one. Of course, I luv the Falmers too. Wish I didn't have to be their enemy. They just seem like they're such interesting people!

berzum

And Chauruses (Charusai?). Don't forget the Chaurus! I love that one. Of course, I luv the Falmers too. Wish I didn't have to be their enemy. They just seem like they're such interesting people!
i wish you were able to talk to bandits in the game, or maybe even study the falmer, oh seeing how you like the falmer you will love the dawngaurd questline, most likely the ending of it, near the end at least you learn alot about the falmer, elvs, and even the dwemer is mentioned a lil bit i don't want to spoil it for you though so thats all im saying, but you will like the dawn guard ending quest doesnt matter which side you choose really cos the quest is the same whether vamp or not, if your like me and wonder why the falmer live in ruins or why the dwemer just vanished and always searching through books ingame for even a glimpse of an answer you will love the dawnguard dlc and some of the dungeons/ruin/cave in solsteim.

grab a 24 pack of monster BFC because you will need to be wired for this lol

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!

Yup, really interesting indeed. I went up to say hi and they stabbed me! Hot heads!

Daelon DuLac

i wish you were able to talk to bandits in the game, or maybe even study the falmer, oh seeing how you like the falmer you will love the dawngaurd questline, most likely the ending of it, near the end at least you learn alot about the falmer, elvs, and even the dwemer is mentioned a lil bit i don't want to spoil it for you though so thats all im saying, but you will like the dawn guard ending quest doesnt matter which side you choose really cos the quest is the same whether vamp or not, if your like me and wonder why the falmer live in ruins or why the dwemer just vanished and always searching through books ingame for even a glimpse of an answer you will love the dawnguard dlc and some of the dungeons/ruin/cave in solsteim.

grab a 24 pack of monster BFC because you will need to be wired for this lol
Sounds like fun! Too bad I can't do the energy drinks w/out Vodka (I'd pass out before I got through it!), but, I've now got an espresso maker in the bathroom of my new house so I'll be sure to keep it ready to go constantly. 3 day weekend of game play! Looking forward to the falmer.

NiteMare

Presto Change'O !!
im just saying that there are 100 of caves that can be used for mods and dlc but for consoles there is no real point to explore them, maby you misunderstood unless role-play
I just don't like the fact that people hate Skyrim, but they will play a Moded version. What's the point of playing. It's not just you it's others as well.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts