the ups and downs about archery

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Orange_

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa! Watch the magic!
It's not mandatory, but it makes it easier to hit your target from a distance in open combat. A larger target is easier to hit and the zooming effect makes your target larger. More importantly the slowed time makes it much easier to predict the targets movement path where you need to aim to hit the target. You miss your target far less frequently with the perk than without when the target is at the longer range of your bow which in turn is extremely valuable when dealing with multiple opponents rushing in from different angles. If you use your bow almost exclusively in sniping mode you're probably not going to appreciate the difference but if you want to charge into open battle like Legolas, mowing down your enemies with arrows without ever even having to think about reaching for a melee weapon, it's an extremely valuable perk to have in your build.
That's just where you and I disagree. I'd rather have a smaller target if it means making smaller adjustments because I can make those adjustments faster. A larger target means larger adjustments and more room for error in my opinion. Different styles I guess. When I'm not zoomed in I can basically hold the crosshair at the enemy's chest and make small adjustments using my movement (straffing a couple steps) instead of aiming if they move horizontally. When zoomed in I feel like I have to aim and straffe and it feels harder to keep the crosshair on the enemy.
It's like covering something on the horizon with your finger tip while in a car. The further away it is the easier it is to keep your fingertip on it.

You don't have to zoom in, though. Even with the Perk (to open up other useful ones) just save the stamina, and shoot at regular magnification. I find the finer adjustment at maximum range useful for some shots, but I don't use any of the Slowmo techniques. I really like the zoom just for "Scoping out" stuff at a distance, even if I'm not going to send the arrow.

Orange_

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa! Watch the magic!
And that's because it's moving slowly. When you slow time down, the target moves slowly.

but you move equally slowly...in both your movement and aim speed...so everything is moving at the same ratio anyway and you have to make larger adjustments with your aim since you're now zoomed in. I could see the point if it precision was rewarded, but it doesn't matter if you hit the guy between the eyes or in the top of the foot in this game so the less adjustments the easier it is imo

MMZephyr

Here's my list.

Pros:

1. Sneak archery. I find any other type of sneaking extremely hard. Taking people out with daggers will be almost impossible until you have a very high level sneak. Archery sneaking is very easy, on the contrary.

2. Poison usage. I invested a bit in alchemy just so I could make some poison. It's usually useless, but hey, it's fun to see a guy go mad and attack his team mates, or fall to the ground paralyzed. There's also a perk in alchemy that allows your poison to be used for two arrows, or two strikes with a melee weapon.

3. Staggering. Once you can get to it, Power Shot is an amazingly useful perk. It'll stop opponents from firing an arrow, using spells, swinging a weapon, or moving towards you for about a second or so. This gives you time to get in another shot, potentially staggering them again. I've taken out so many annoying enemies by slowing them down this way.

4. Adrenaline Rush. That feel when you get an almost impossible shot, or you have to take out several enemies at once so you're trying to figure out a combination of arrows and potions to deal the most damage.

5. Less damage taken. As a gamer, I get annoyed when I see the red on my screen that indicates I got hit. It just annoys me. With range it's easier to avoid damage.

6. Archer to archer battles. It's fun to fight another archer, timing your attacks so you don't get hit by their arrows but you hit them. These are the easiest since they aren't going to try getting close to you.

7. Light armor. As an archer, light armor is advised, and heavy armor isn't necessary. Sure, you could be a tank archer, but that's kind of boring. The agility is nice.

There are probably more, but I can't think of it right now.

Cons:

1. Missing. Especially for beginners, missing shots can be a problem. You eventually get over it and learn how to hit every time though. Getting the eagle eye > steady hand perk will definitely help with this. Even though some people don't like this perk, it's pretty useful if you want to hit all your shots. Especially with rare arrows that you don't want to waste.

2. Getting jammed. At the beginning of the game, archery is harder since melee opponents get up close and you are pretty much forced to change weapons. This gets a lot easier once you get certain perks I'll talk about later.

3. Hitboxes on objects. Oh god. Skyrim has horrendous hitboxes on objects, so if you shoot several inches or even a foot/2 feet above an object, it'll still hit it and get stuck. Extremely annoying if you're trying to take cover while shooting, or if you're shooting someone behind cover. No fix that I know of for this.

4. Slower for getting through dungeons. I find that rushing in kamikaze with a sword will get me the same amount of kills in less time. Sure, I'll take damage, but that's what restoration magic is for. If you want to be an archer, be prepared to spend a lot of time sneaking around corners, rather than shooting stuff. This will probably lessen if you are a strong archer that doesn't need the sneak bonus.

5. Feeling guilty when losing good arrows. Not really a big deal, but when I have a strong arrow that was expensive, I hate missing with it.

Those are all the cons I can think of. There are probably more. However, I think archery is one of the coolest ways to play the game. Especially with a bow that has a fire enchantment <3

Most useful perks IMO:

1. Overdraw.

2. Power shot.

3. Eagle Eye/Steady Hand (level 1, 2 is excessive).

4. RANGER. So useful for backing up.

5. Quick shot.

I would write more, but I'm tired =3

The Twitchy Cat

Batman is shocked at your comment.
That is precisely why lead shots are so satisfying.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
but you move equally slowly...in both your movement and aim speed...so everything is moving at the same ratio anyway and you have to make larger adjustments with your aim since you're now zoomed in.
Your relative movement speed to your target is irrelevant towards the accuracy of your shot. The point is the target's speed is slower and therefore more predictable. In addition your slower movement also allows you to make more precise adjustments as your target moves leading to more accurate shots.

When your target is far away and isn't magnified you may have to make smaller adjustments but the mechanics are far less forgiving for the smallest miscalculation in that adjustment which can result in missing your target. Your analogy with the finger and the target in the distance is weak because there's a big difference between following a target with your finger and landing a projectile on that target. It's very easy to have your finger over the target and have it on an actual line of fire that will completely miss the target. If you think about it, by your logic it would be better for a sniper to not use a scope for a rifle when aiming at a moving target at a distance. It simply doesn't comport with common sense.

The precision is rewarded but just so we're clear about the distances we're talking about this is the distance from which I took out 5 targets within minutes with 1 to 3 shots per target and no misses at Silent Moons Camp:

7750273658_bcfb5fb1ae_h.jpg

7750272458_afc5c28597_h.jpg

7750272078_8aa6d4c19f_h.jpg

7750271732_427dc42b62_h.jpg

7750307976_70e6a5af76_h.jpg

Keep in mind these are the views magnified by Eagle Eye. Without Eagle Eye the targets are even smaller. In addition to the Steady Hand perk making them move slower, it allowed me to be static when aiming and firing at the archer (which also makes for a more accurate shot) because it took very little movement to make a small side step at the exact moment he released his arrow from his bow leaving me with all the time in the world to line up my shot as his arrow sailed past me only a few feet to my side. An added bonus is that while he was drawing his bow as I released my arrow, he couldn't do the annoying NPC rubber band side step to dodge my shot, i.e you can gage their likelihood to dodge better when observing them in slow motion.

WindhelmMafia

Don Stormcloak
Dont Think Detection To Arrow Sounds Is Always A Bad Thing....
In Caves, I Usually Fire Arrows At Walls Just To See If Anything Is In There...When They Move To Your Arrow...Your x3 Bonus Still Effects Them...Great Way To Round A Room Up !:cool:

WindhelmMafia

Don Stormcloak
Also...Unlike Casting Spells...You Can Curve Your Arrows Path By Movement On Release...Can Be Great For A Fleeing Target!!

Elfraziero

I've been playing a few different builds recently and I've enjoyed my archer the most fun. I've created builds based around as many combat schemes as I can imagine, stacking as many bonuses into the scheme as possible, and after all that archery is still the most satisfying. Being able to use one weapon and still have huge tactical freedom makes every situation novel. I find I only really fight according to terrain as an archer. Alchemy stacks very well too, both for damage output and improved combat stats. Frenzy+restore health is a favourite poison of mine; marksman+health regen and invisibility+health regen are good potions for attacking and retreating respectively.

Cazimir

I've nearly mastered Archery with my thief and by far it's my favorite way to play. I've noticed, however--and maybe I'm doing something wrong--that I'm pretty weak on my own. It takes a lot of arrows to take down one of the upper level Draugrs, let alone an enemy like a Dragon Priest. So, I always need a follower. Not that I wouldn't roll with one anyway.

Elfraziero

I've nearly mastered Archery with my thief and by far it's my favorite way to play. I've noticed, however--and maybe I'm doing something wrong--that I'm pretty weak on my own. It takes a lot of arrows to take down one of the upper level Draugrs, let alone an enemy like a Dragon Priest. So, I always need a follower. Not that I wouldn't roll with one anyway.

Yeah, I'm certainly not one-shotting many targets. My current equipment gives me 73% bonus damage from enchantments and I have all perks except Bullseye (probably won't buy it) and level 89. On Expert I kill Bandits and Draugr and other low level enemies in one shot, and with the 3x sneak bonus my damage is good. But what I love about this build is that I can take sneak shots when they are available and then keep firing as I close the distance. I'm level 32 now and am currently solo, but until around lvl 25 I used Eola (can recruit her after the Taste of Death) and she was awesome, high level conjuration and destruction magic. I invested most points into stamina and a bit of health and now with my ebony boy, decent arrows, power shot, and an array of potions I can fight most enemies in the open very aggressively and stay alive as long as I keep moving.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts