OOC The Spirits and Thy Lords [Recruiting]

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

dark elf ranger

The Protector
    Can we add anything from hearthfire into it because ive also made Amy on my xbox version and she has children now and a wife

The_Madgod

LordLlamahat
    I believe you could create a family. Rps rarely have to follow the games to the point. Whole new stories, different abilities, bigger cities, new people, new factions, biological children, sometimes even new races, however rare and ludicrous that may be.

caravan guard

lone Khajiit
    I hope I get in*fingers crossed*

The_Madgod

LordLlamahat
    I hope I get in*fingers crossed*

You should be able to egt in, there don't appear to be any exclusions yet, and in answer to your question teletubby mutilator, whenever Morgan feels like it.

I'd like to join if theirs still room...just give me a sec to post my card.

The_Madgod

LordLlamahat
    I should have mine up later, sorry for extreme delay. I'm finishing a summary on J.R.R. Tolkeins the Return of the King. I originally read the book in sixth grade, but I read it again and have to summarize it.

Katastrophe

King of Tales
    This is similar to the idea I originally proposed, between Mushroom and Conquers, which was a greater emphasis on DMs. Ultimately, what we decided on was that we wanted to keep the free form aspect - we didn't want people sitting and waiting for a mod to tell them if they were or were not successful in picking a lock. Rather, we would judge their attempt backed with their character's background. If we deemed it that they should not have been able to pick the lock, we would punish them in some manner. Perhaps someone saw them break into that house and reported it to the guard? Or perhaps there's some sort of trap in the room or later, they're robbed in their sleep of the items they stole.

That being said, I do like this idea and I'd love to help be a part of it as well as participate. I feel like our roleplays could use similar systems of organization, especially since they obviously have different stories involved. Perhaps we could mix them or something... grow something big.

Anyways, I'll try to create a character card before I pass out tonight, but I'll be lurking around here to throw out more discussion if you'd like.

The_Madgod

LordLlamahat
    Okay, I suggets that, for now, people stop trying to join. We don't know if there's a limit to the number of people yet. This looks like a decent number right now.

The_Madgod

LordLlamahat
    I mean the number we have including you. What I am saying is that we don;t know if Morgan wants any more people. Now, I am writing a paper so do not be surprised if I do not respond to you immediately from here on out.

The_Madgod

LordLlamahat
    Yes, I meant everyone who has not, as of yet, posted any words on this thread. To Morganatic: Sorry if I seem to be controlling this, didn't want it to grow too huge in your absence.

Isara12

Oblivion explorer
    I like the rp story, but im still a lityle confused on the cincept of the story. Is it like DnD with a DM and sh!t?

The_Madgod

LordLlamahat
    I will wait for Morganatic to explain that in depth. I cannot really answer youy well at the moment.

Katastrophe

King of Tales
    I've never actually done a 'character card' for a roleplay here... Are there any set guidelines? I'm just winging this... the lore is my own and I've established it to work fairly well with the existing lore.

Name: Albel Black
    Sex: Male
    Race: Nord
    Height: 6' 5" (~2 meters)
    Weight: ~195 Lbs (~88.5 kgs)

Appearance: Albel stands tall, even for Nord standards, and despite his relatively light weight, he can be an intimidating figure. He is most often scene in his traveling and combat gear, which consists of a set of simple, steel armor and a hooded cloak overtop. The armor, while relatively simple in design and make, is far from simple in appearance. The left pauldron is quite large and is composed of multiple overlapping steel plates over the shoulder while the right pauldron is non-existent and is instead composed of chain mail with a very thin sheet of metal applied overtop to allow for the glancing of bladed weapons. The poleyns are also unique in that they feature large spikes on the top plate, most likely used for rather deadly knee thrusts. The hood is large, perhaps overly so, and covers most of his face with the peak at the top coming down to a point. His cloak is large enough to cover his entire armor and only barely grazes the ground when he stands. His skin is a darker tone, tanned from his travels, and he is often mistaken for a Redguard because of it. There are three large scars on his face, the first starting from the center of his forehead and crossing down across his left eye and cheekbone to his jaw. The second begins at the inner corner of his right eye and crosses his nose and ends at the left corner of his mouth. The third starts at his right cheekbone and extends down across his lips and stops at the center of his chin. His eyes are a chilling blue and his voice is often a very flat and cold tone. It should also be noted that Albel's armor is hand-painted - literally. Some sort of black dye has been spread across most of the armor's plates, though some parts (primarily the edges) still shine silver. As well, over the left breastplate, there is an image of a horn pouring a liquid painted in actual gold - the symbol of Stendarr.

Personality: If his voice doesn't give it away, Albel is not the warmest of people nor does he make the best of company. He is cold and calculating and gives little, if any, value to the lives of others. While he will not deliberately sacrifice someone to save himself, he never allows himself to be put in such situations. He is a man of few words, except when they are needed, and they are often strong and hold great meaning. However, despite this, he is not openly aggressive. He is the man sitting at the corner table of the tavern, minding his own and watching the room. He has the careful approach of a hunter, even when communicating with people. It is not uncommon to feel as if he is sizing you up during conversation, if not determining the best way to snap your elbow should you move in a peculiar fashion. While extremely rational, he is the type to "shoot first, ask questions later".

Backstory: Much of Albel's past lies in mere rumors and here-say, which is what I'll be using to present him. Some believe Albel has been around since around the time of the Red Year, when the Red Mountain erupted in Morrowind. That would, however, place Albel's age around 200 years old and is often discredited as mere rumor and fantasy as the man does not look a day over 30. What is known is that Albel started his life as an orphan where he became a very devote priest of Stendarr. As he grew, Albel eventually left the orphanage and travelled across Cyrodill preaching the word and glory of Stendarr, of the evils of the Daedra and other dark arts. It should be no surprise to learn that Albel joined up with the Vigilants of Stendarr shortly after his traveling began. It was here that he learned most of his combat and magical knowledge and it was also here that his history becomes the most distorted and muddled. Should one ask a living Vigilant about one Albel Black, they will be able to provide no information. While it is widely accepted that Albel was a member of the Vigilants, there is no record of him in any journal or other documentation.

This is explained by Albel in that his 'disassociation' with the Vigilants was not done on the best of terms. He believed that there was more that the Vigilants could be doing - why try to defend against the Daedra and other dark arts when you could take the fight to them? He often cited the old Dawnguard from the Second Era which, though formed around primarily Vampires, it could have been easily expanded to also fight Daedra, Necromancers, Werewolves... anything deemed evil. It is documented that some time around the start of the Great War, there was a small group (no more than ten documented members) known as the Black Brigade that existed and did just that - sought out and killed Vampires, Werewolves, Daedra - all in the name of Stendarr. The group did not last long, nor did they truly accomplish much. During the Battle of the Red Ring in which the Empire retook the Imperial City, it is stated that the Black Brigade did fight on the side of the Empire and lost many of their numbers. With the signing of the White-Gold Concordat, the Black Brigade was also dismantled of their own choosing and once more, Albel Black seemed to have faded from the history books. Provided this all to prove true, Albel would be well over 50 years old and, as such, it is believed that he was simply a member of the Black Brigade with a convenient name (if it's real) rather than it's actual founder.

Combat Style: Albel's is a style developed on his own that has a very 'lone wolf' approach. His primary weapon is a Crossbow that hangs from the back of his hip along with bolts that he has crafted especially - upon impact, they explode, the tip of the bolt packed with fire salts. Aside from this, he carries a small Orcish dagger on a strap around his lower left leg. Aside from the physical, Albel's ability truly begin to shine when his magical talents become involved. Specializing only in holy restoration magics and destructive fire spells, he is more than formidable against the undead. He specializes in casting protective auras that turn undead as well as explosive defenses in the form of Fire Runes and casting walls of flames. In ideal situations, Albel prefers to lay down defenses around himself and make a stand with his crossbow, forcing any surviving enemies to traverse walls of fire and explosive traps just to reach him.

Additional Abilities: In addition to his combat, prowess, Albel is well versed in what it takes to survive in the wild. He is a trained alchemist and often poisons his already explosive bolts and this trade has granted him unique and experienced knowledge of almost all naturally occurring flora and fauna. When it comes to the wilderness and surviving, Albel is somewhat of an expert. Beyond his ability in Alchemy, there are a few shortcomings. He is not entirely skilled in hand-to-hand combat, though he has been known to brawl. He is also not the most congenial person and lacks any sort of persuasive ability (though intimidation is not out of the question). Any sort of stealth or thieving trade goes beyond Albel who is far more likely to simply incinerate the door in an explosive blast and began loosing bolts while demanding valuables rather than lockpicking and pickpocketing.

There. Is that good?

Morganatic

Kinetically-Interlinked Nirnian Multi-User Exoform
    Wow, tons of new posts! Let's go through them sequentially & by person:

dark elf ranger -

Can we add anything from hearthfire into it because ive also made Amy on my xbox version and she has children now and a wife

Sure, though you don't need Hearthfire for a character to have children/partners. I don't necessarily know if Amy's relations would necessarily tag along, though, given that this is an exploration into dangerous and unknown territory ...

Cool sooo when does this start

Ought to be starting when I've got everyone's sheets in. I'm still recuperating from an operation, so I won't be able to spend as much time as I could be on the forums for the next couple of days - but what time I am here, I'll make count.

Likes:cooked beef,ale,sweet roll,magic but cant use it in any way
    Dislike:gaurds,and anything annoying EX guards
    Weapons:Nightingale bow,mehrunes razor
    Fighting style:any challenge to a fist fight will be taken scouts the area and makes plans before anything even small battles fights to win always meditates before big battles
    Armor:leather armor for unplanned battles nightingale for planned ones
    Skills:archery sneak light armor one handed lockpicking speech
    Personality:very energetic around people she knows but terribly shy and uptight around those she dosent know very protective of belongings
    sentimental items: mothers emerald and silver necklace

I like the detail to Amy - it's a short but sweet bio, but the little quirks like being a magically untalented fan of the arcane arts and the way she relates to other people are just the sort of thing I'm looking for. Is Amy a Dunmer, btw? I guess she is from your name, but I'd just like to be sure - Amy doesn't seem like a Dunmeri name at first, but iirc there are a couple of Dark Elf women named 'Amili' in Morrowind, so that works surprisingly well. Also, interesting to note her Daedric connections - there's actually a long-standing connection between the Nightingales and the Dunmer, since they've had a few (not very amicable) tangles with Queen Barenziah, and the current ruling dynasty of Morrowind. Also, it's fairly appropriate that a renegade Dunmer might be entangled with Mehrunes Dagon, as they kinda worship him as a malevolent deity who 'tests the Dunmer will to survive and persevere'.

Madgod -

I believe you could create a family. Rps rarely have to follow the games to the point. Whole new stories, different abilities, bigger cities, new people, new factions, biological children, sometimes even new races, however rare and ludicrous that may be.

Quite right. There's enough weird extra background in TES that you can usually root whatever you're interested in in canon, albeit tenuously (eg. Pelinal Whitestrake being a nuclear-powered T-1000 from a future Kalpa, to recall something I've been writing about recently).

I should have mine up later, sorry for extreme delay. I'm finishing a summary on J.R.R. Tolkeins the Return of the King. I originally read the book in sixth grade, but I read it again and have to summarize it.

No problem - have fun with that. Summarising TRotK sounds pretty tough, though - it's an enormous book, how condensed do you have to make it?

Nightingale Khajit -

I'd like to join if theirs still room...just give me a sec to post my card.

Um, should I still post my card then?

Sure - as below, if you can make a card soon, you're in!

caravan guard -

Name: M'ar
    Race:Argonian
    Sex:Male
    Backstory: M'ar was born in BlackMarsh. He came to skyrim with his family by ship. His parents were traders and fishermen. At the age of 6 he was able to tie his own fishing knot. He could catch small fish. He made his first sell at the age of 8. It was a blue slaughterfish. The fish was tainted with poison. M'aw forgot to tell the people that. They died the next day. The guards came and took M'ar away. Instead of jail he had to help the guards clean the city of whiterun. After his sentence he came home to find nothing. His parents left him. The ship and the shack was gone. He was sent to the orphanage in Riften until the main lady was assasinated. He became interested in the dark brotherhood. He set out to find them. When he did they did not accept him. They said he was to weak. He couldn't handle the assassin life. He wanders Skyrim in search of work. He only carries his fishing pole and 2 daggers.He hopes to find his parents but has no means to get there.
    Appearance: Dark green with thin hair spikes on his head.Black patches all over his body.Black tunic with leather boots and leather fingerless gloves. He wears a matching green hood that is sewn to his tunic.
    Skill:Fishing(duh) Gathering,hunting. Reading. Puzzle solving. And blade.
    Extra: Tends to stay away from Khajiits
    Really nice character - it's cool to see a comparatively 'mundane' character, but someone who has experience in survival skills/hunting/fishing like M'ar will certainly come in handy. He'll have a particularly interesting perspective on the Argonian-Dunmer war, too. As we go on with the RP, we'll have to work out what you want to do with his parents ...

Katastrophe -

This is similar to the idea I originally proposed, between Mushroom and Conquers, which was a greater emphasis on DMs. Ultimately, what we decided on was that we wanted to keep the free form aspect - we didn't want people sitting and waiting for a mod to tell them if they were or were not successful in picking a lock. Rather, we would judge their attempt backed with their character's background. If we deemed it that they should not have been able to pick the lock, we would punish them in some manner. Perhaps someone saw them break into that house and reported it to the guard? Or perhaps there's some sort of trap in the room or later, they're robbed in their sleep of the items they stole.

That being said, I do like this idea and I'd love to help be a part of it as well as participate. I feel like our roleplays could use similar systems of organization, especially since they obviously have different stories involved. Perhaps we could mix them or something... grow something big.

Anyways, I'll try to create a character card before I pass out tonight, but I'll be lurking around here to throw out more discussion if you'd like.

Yeah, I certainly agree with you. To be honest, I think that the usefulness of an ST in this sort of setting comes in more in terms of narrative direction/providing fun obstacles for the players to free-form interact with, rather than dispute resolution, as, as you say, it's boring to have people waiting around on 'do I disarm the trap' sort of rolls. I'll mostly leave it up to people to self-police, as per a normal freeform, and only step in with 'you fail to pick the lock' type stuff if dramatically appropriate. The main benefit I see with this is using an ST-type role to provide interesting situations and characters for people to deal with, which isn't so easy to get in a totally decentralised freeform. I'd certainly be interested in linking plots/sharing ideas (especially if we're looking at two separate regions/plots that had a bit of cross-talk) - if you had any thoughts, we could either discuss them here, or take this to private messages.

I've never actually done a 'character card' for a roleplay here... Are there any set guidelines? I'm just winging this... the lore is my own and I've established it to work fairly well with the existing lore.

Name:Albel Black
    There. Is that good?

Sounds awesome. I like all the technical detail regarding his armour, and the way that it actually says a lot about his character and the way he thinks/interacts with the world. You don't have to post in the thread - maybe spoiler it - but it'd be very helpful to hear a bit about what Albel got up to in Morrowind. A few Weird Things happened around the Red Year, and he might either have some idea of them, or be totally wrong-footed by what's going on today. Also, we might need to think about how he gets on with the rest of the party - we've got a Conjurer, a Necromancer, and a woman who may not know that she's reaping souls in the names of two Daedric Princes (Nocturnal and Mehrunes Dagon). There's certainly going to be some worse things for him to think about, so he might play along while gathering intel on them, or he could start separately, or we could just have some (entertaining, hopefully non-violent) intra-party conflict.

Isara -
    I like the rp story, but im still a lityle confused on the cincept of the story. Is it like DnD with a DM and sh!t?

Kinda like DnD, in that I'll be STing/GMing by controlling background NPCs for you to interact with, and possibly giving you some plot points for you to interact with/manipulate/ignore, if you find that fun. Essentially, though, I'm open to suggestions about what way people would want to take the story, and what sort of plot elements you'd all like to include. Essentially, see it as a normal free-form RP with one person handling all the NPCs, and giving you fun/mysterious situations to investigate.

Also, quick thoughts re:group size/still recruiting status! I'm fairly comfortable with large groups - I run a Call of Cthulhu tabletop group with 10 people, so I know about large games. That said, in order to stop things from ballooning out of control, let's say that we're no longer recruiting people fresh to the thread. If you've posted in here so before this post - Madgod, Nightingale Khajit, etc, Katastrophe etc - then you're in. We'll end up with a big group, but certainly a manageable one. So far we have -

.ol0w0lo. - Swain, Redguard-Nord conjurer and student of comparative mythology.
    Isara - Athera Vinikel, Dunmer necromancer and storm-mage, formerly of House Redoran.
    caravan guard - M'ar, adolescent Argonian hunter and wilderness adventurer.
    dark elf ranger - Amy, unwitting pawn of the House of Troubles, ranger. (what race is the btw? Dunmer, I'm guessing?)
    Nightingale Khajit - to come.
    The_Madgod - to come.
    Katastrophe - Albel Black, Nordic ex-Vigilant of Stendarr

The_Madgod

LordLlamahat
    Our summaries were 15-20 pages with a small font size. I'm debating whether I should've chosen english as my minor. I will hopefully have my characater card up before I leave. But, in the immortal words of Bart Simpson, "I can't promise I'll try. But I promise I'll try to try."

caravan guard

lone Khajiit
    Am I in coach? lol