• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

The day shall arise when the dark dragon's lies will be silenced forever and then fair Skyrim will be free from foul Alduin's maw.

Prelude: Leaving The Nest

Algarth woke up in a cold sweat, breathing heavily. For the past six months, he had been having the same dream. He was standing in front of armies of men and elves wearing strange armor and wielding a strange sword. He and the army charged their enemies: hundred and thousands of Draugr clad in Ebony armor. But that wasn't the worst of it. Diving from the sky was a massive black dragon.

Suddenly Algarth's attention became fixed on the knock on his bedroom door. Two figures entered the room. One was an aged Dunmer male with a shaved bald head and a scar across his left eye. The second was a Breton woman with brown hair with streaks of gray. The Dunmer was wearing Imperial Armor and had two Ebony swords at his side. The Breton wore a simple green dress. These two were people Algarth knew very well. They were Neldam Brenos, Legate of the Imperial Legion, and Janand Orlin, a former member of the Synod and owner of a small store that specialized in potions and Restoration magic. But Algarth Bladeson knew them by a different title: mother and father.

“Happy Birthday,” said Janand while giving Algarth a hug, “My little boy is growing up.” Algarth saw tears coming down her face.

Neldam chuckled, “Please Janand, the boy's twenty-four. Its not like he's going off to war.” Neldam walked up to his son and ruffled his red hair.

Algarth smiled, “So what are we going to do today?” Then a bucket of worms and a fishing lure was thrown on Algarth's lap. He looked up and saw a third figure: an Argonian. He was short, his head barely reaching Neldam's shoulders. He was green scaled like most Argonians, but had no visible horns. He was dressed in a brown tunic and green pants. He carried a fishing lure and a small knapsack.

“Today, you and I are going fishing my friend,” said the Argonian with a grin, or what appeared to be a grin, “you won't regret it Al.”

Algarth sighed, “Chalur, the last time we went fishing he nearly got killed.”

Chalur shrugged, “In my defense, how was I suppose to know that splashing a member of the Thalmor is frowned upon. Now quit your whining and get dressed. I'll meet you down there.” Soon Chalur, Neldam, and Janand left Algarth's room. He chuckled as he rose from his bed and got dressed.

Algarth was taller than most Nords, sometimes dwarfing most High Elves. He was fairly muscular, thanks to his father's constant sword training and work as a blacksmith, but possessed a much more slender build that was rarely seen in Nord men. Being raised by a Dark Elf and a Breton made him different from most Nords. Algarth preferred quick and deadly power of the sword over the strong, but clumsy axe. He enjoyed the mysteries and dedication of magic, an art shunned by the Skyrim natives. Algarth was born in Skyrim, but his parents were killed in a bandit raid, along with a small village. It was Neldam, an Imperial soldier who found Algarth and raised him as his own. He owed Neldam and Janand everything.

Algarth wore a green tunic and brown pants as he and Chalur cast their lures into Lake Rumare. The two of them sat patiently waiting for a bite.

Chalur then looked at Algarth, “I got a letter from Gaius the other day.” This caught Algarth's attention. Gaius Maximus was their best friend. The three of them were a strange trio: a hornless Argonian, an Imperial who loved to fight, and a Nord who tried to keep the peace.

Algarth smiled, “So what has General Maximus been doing since he joined the Legion?”

Chalur let out a sigh, “He's been assigned to the 4th under General Tullius. He leaves for Skyrim immediately.”

“General Tullius,” Algarth let out a sigh, “So the Rebellion's getting serious if they sent him.” Algarth then adjusted his seat and continued to wait.

Chalur looked at his Nord friend, “Al, what are you thinking?”

Algarth chuckled, “That when Gaius comes back, he'll act like he was the one who took Ulfric Stormcloak's head.”

“That not what I meant,” Chalur sounded uncharacteristically serious, “I mean, I know that there are a lot of Nords here going to Skyrim either fighting the Stormcloaks or joining them. I just want to know if you have some national pride or something, just let me know.”

Algarth looked at the ground before answering, “I'm going to Skyrim. Don't worry I have no intention of fighting the Empire.”

“Then why go?” Chalur looked confused, “I mean, aside from Morrowind, Skyrim is the most dangerous place in Tamriel. Its cold and everything is trying to kill you. Wolves are trying to kill you, giants are trying to kill you, Stormcloaks are trying to kill you, the women are trying to kill you. The last time I tried to make my moves on a Nord woman, she nearly cut my tail off.” Algarth laughed as the lizardman slowly stroked his tail.

“I can't explain it,” Algarth got up from the stump he had been sitting on, “I just want to see the place I was born. The place that all Nords, including Tiber Septim called home.”

Chalur groaned, “Al, please don't talk about Tiber Septim. I get it, 'He was the greatest hero of all mankind. He united all of Tamriel. And his deeds were so great that he became the Ninth Divine.' Seriously, I hear enough talk about Tiber Septim when the Nords go to the taverns.”

Algarth sat back down and let out a huff. Chalur looked at his friend and let out a sigh, “Alright, if you want to got to that frozen wasteland, I guess I'll tag along.”

“I never asked you to come along,” said Algarth questioning his friend, “besides, you hate the cold.”

Chalur patted Algarth on the back, “Al, when are you going to realize that I'll follow you to Oblivion and back. Plus who knows what treasures are hiding in those ancient tombs.

Algarth began packing what he planned on bringing to Skyrim. The conversation over dinner went better than he expected. Though his mother forbade him from setting foot in Skyrim, his father was able to convince her to let him go. That he was a grown man and could make his own choices.

Suddenly there came a knock on the door and it was Neldam who entered the room, carrying an object about four feet in length wrapped in fur.

Algarth turned around and smiled, “What's that?”

“Let's say that I've been waiting to give this to you when the time was right.” Neldam unwrapped it and revealed a sword unlike anything Algarth had ever seen. It resembled the Akaviri longsword that he read about, but it was too long to be considered a longsword, but too short to be considered a greatsword. Though the fuller and hilt was made from Ebony, the actually blade itself appeared to be made from some kind of bone.

“Where did you get this?!” Algarth then grasped hold of the blade, testing out the best way to use it. From what he gathered, it could be wielded with one hand just as well with both.

Neldam chuckled, “I found it along with you. I spent years trying to find out what material was used to make this sword, but whatever it is, its stronger than Ebony.”

Neldam sat down next to his son, “Your mother is worried. Saying that you're going to join the Stormcloaks and we'll never see you again. But I know the real reason?”

Algarth said, “You do?” This shocked Algarth because not even he knew why he wanted to go to Skyrim.

Neldam smiled, “I was about your age when the Red Mountain erupted. I left Morrowind with only the clothes on my back and a rusty dagger. But I refuse to return to Morrowind.”

Algarth said, “Why not?”

“Because it was not the home I remember,” Neldam almost appeared to cry, “I still remember the destruction of Morrowind. The screams of women and children as they burned alive. But you have a chance to return to the land of your birth. Just be careful.”

Algarth smirked, “Father I'll be fine. I can take care of myself.”

Neldam ruffled his son's hair, “I know, just a gut feeling.”

Chapter 1: Helgen

Algarth's vision was blurry for a moment. He realized that he was in bounds. As his vision returned, he saw a Nord about his age across from him, Chalur next to him, and two older Nords, one dressed in rags, the other dressed in fine furs and gagged.

“Hey you,” said the Nord across from him, “You're finally awake. You and the lizard were trying to cross the border, right? Walked right into that Imperial ambush, same as us, and that thief over there.”

Chalur scoffed, “Well if it wasn't for you Stormcloaks, the two of us would be enjoying some nice ale and fine women. If Ulfric Stormcloak was here I would give him a piece of my mind.”

The Stormcloak chuckled, “Mind your tongue Argonian, the man sitting next to you is Ulfric Stormcloak, the true High King of Skyrim.” Chalur looked next to him and reveal the Nord in finer clothes.

Chalur began to sweat and said, “So your Ulfric?! I must say that this is a lovely fur coat. Is that actually Saber Cat?” Algarth then proceeded to step on Chalur's foot, shutting him up.

The Stormcloak smiled, “Name's Ralof. You are?”

“Algarth Bladeson,” Algarth smiled, “the idiot next to me is Chalur. We just came from Cyrodiil.” Suddenly Algarth heard some kind of roar. At the same time, it felt as if his ears were ringing. He turned his head and saw that a town was coming in view.

When they stopped at the gate, an older Imperial was standing on top of the gate. The coachman looked up and said, “General Tullius, the headsman is waiting.”

“Good. Let's get this over with,” And the General walked away. While the horse-thief was praying to the Divines for salvation and Ralof was talking about if a person in this town still made a special kind of mead, Algarth continued to hear the strange ringing in his ears.

“Where are you?” Algarth heard the that voice in unison with the ringing. He looked around, everyone else on the cart was preoccupied with their own problems. Then suddenly the cart stopped.

“Sovngarde awaits,” said Ralof has he walked out of the cart. Algarth looked at Chalur who smiled, well smiled for an Argonian.

“I always knew this would be how I died,” chuckled Chalur, “I just wished it would somewhere a little warmer. Like High Rock or Hammerfell.”

Algarth glared, “And I always knew you would be the cause of my death.” The two then walked in line where an Imperial wearing heavy armor and a Nord wearing Imperial light armor were listing off the names of the prisoners.

But the ringing in Algarth's ears was drowning out the sound of the Nord. He looked around and saw that no one was noticing the roars. Could I be losing my mind?

“You there, step forward!” yelled the young Nord at Algarth. He walked forward until he was in front of the Nord and Imperial. The Nord starred at Algarth and said, “Who are you?”

“Algarth Bladeson,” he said glaring at the two of them, “Listen. This is a mistake. Me and my friend have the proper forms. My father is Legate Neldam Brenos. We are not Stormcloaks. We just camped out in the wrong spot.”

The Nord looked at his parchment, “Captain, why don't we let him go? He and the Argonian are not on the list.”

The Imperial Captain glared, “I don't care if they are or not Hadvar. Put them on the list.”

Hadvar looked at Algarth and Chalur and said, “I'm sorry. Argonian, we'll send your remain to Black Marsh. And kinsman, at least you're home.” Algarth saw that Hadvar was visibly angered by his Captain's orders.

By the time they had reached the headsman, one Stormcloak soldier was already executed. Then the Captain demanded Algarth be next. But as Algarth was about to step forward, he heard someone say stop.

Running towards them was a young Imperial about Algarth's age wearing heavy Imperial armor. He was of average height for an Imperial, but was much more muscular than most. His olive-oil skin was slightly tanned from being outside for weeks. His brown hair was long and wrapped in a ponytail and his beard was finely groomed. This was Gaius Maximus, Algarth's oldest friend.

“Auxiliary what is the meaning of this?!” yelled General Tullius with sword in hand.

“General,” Gaius started, “This man is innocent and so is the Argonian. I can assure you that they are not Stormcloaks.”

Chalur sighed, “Gaius, you know that you are not the best person to try to convince the General.”

General Tullius looked at both of them, “Auxiliary, do you know these two?”

Gaius took a deep breath, “Yes. They're friends from Cryodiil. I know them. They would never turn their backs on the Empire. So I beg you please.”

“Auxiliary..” then the General was stopped by a earth-shattering roar. The ringing in Algarth's ears suddenly stopped. Then descending from the sky was something thought only to be a legend. A creature black as night and eyes burning red. Its scales resembled black diamonds. It perched on top of one of the keeps. And looked down at Algarth. It was a dragon.

The dragon glared at Algarth and said, “Dovahkiin.” Then it let out another roar that knocked everyone off their feet. Algarth's vision then became blurred. Soldiers panicked as the dragon somehow made balls of fire to rain down from the heavens. Imperials, Stormcloaks, and civilians were trying to escape. Suddenly Algarth felt as if he was being grabbed by someone. As his vision cleared, he saw that Gaius and Chalur grabbed him and were leading him to one of the keeps.

Gaius locked the door behind him, “By the Eight what was that?!”

Chalur chuckled, “I thought you didn't believe in the Divines Gaius?”

“Well having a dragon show up and begin killing people kind of scares faith into you!” Gaius began pacing back and forth. He then walked to Algarth, “Are you alright Al?”

Algarth shrugged, “I'm alive. Do you know where our stuff is? I kind of want it back.”

Gaius nodded, “It should be in the storage room. I'll be back. Don't touch anything.”

Algarth sank back into his chair. It was a dragon. Not only that. But it was the same dragon that appeared in his dream. Then suddenly there was a loud smash at the door. The door flung open as both Ralof and Hadvar were at each others throats. Ralof flung his axes at Hadvar, who blocked with his shield.

“Ralof you damn traitor!” yelled Hadvar as he immediately lunged forward with his sword aimed for Ralof's chest. Ralof was able to dodge the attack counter with a slash with one of his axes.

“Anyone who turns their backs on Skyrim is a traitor!” yelled Ralof, whose axes were stuck into Hadvar's shield.

“Knock it off!” The two Nords turned around to see Algarth looking at both of them, “This is neither the time or the place to be having doing this. Right now, we need to worry about getting out of here before that lizard comes back.” The two men looked at each other and finally sheathed their weapons.

Ralof glared, “I would've won too.” Then Gaius came back with Algarth and Chalur's stuff as well as some Imperial light armor.

“So...” said Chalur while sheathing two daggers to his belt, “how are we suppose to get out of here?”

“There's a tunnel underneath here that leads to a small cave,” said Gaius while grabbing two steel axes, “it should lead us out of the city. But where do we go from there?”

“RIVERWOOD!” said both Hadvar and Ralof in unison. Algarth looked at the two of them. Hadvar then said, “The both of us have family there. Plus its the closest village from here.”

“Alright then,” Algarth then strapped his sword to his back, “Let's get out of here.”

Hello. I am working on the next chapter but I want to ask the readers a question: What kind of characters do you want to be in the Dragonborn's party? There is going to be a total of six characters including the Dragonborn. Just let know by leaving a comment or by messaging me.

Nightingale08

I like your story and I think it would be a good idea to incorporate some people from different organizations into the Dragonborn's party. For example, someone from the Companions, College of Winterhold, or maybe even the Dark Brotherhood. I just think it would be cool to have people with different skill sets in the Dragonborn's party.

I like your story and I think it would be a good idea to incorporate some people from different organizations into the Dragonborn's party. For example, someone from the Companions, College of Winterhold, or maybe even the Dark Brotherhood. I just think it would be cool to have people with different skill sets in the Dragonborn's party.

Thank you. But I was thinking more along the lines of Unique Original Characters as the main characters. Because I want to stay on the main quest as much as possible. I will do the Civil War, but not the way you think. Also in terms of skills, Chalur is the thief, Gaius is the warrior/tank, and Al is the Spellsword(Jack of All Trades) what I need is characters that fit the role of Healer(Can be a pacifist or a Combat Media) and the Healer. I already thought of the six member a head of time because every fantasy needs a cool old guy.

Also ideas for a love interest. Not slash pairings, I have nothing against them, I just can't write them well.

Nightingale08

Thank you. But I was thinking more along the lines of Unique Original Characters as the main characters. Because I want to stay on the main quest as much as possible. I will do the Civil War, but not the way you think. Also in terms of skills, Chalur is the thief, Gaius is the warrior/tank, and Al is the Spellsword(Jack of All Trades) what I need is characters that fit the role of Healer(Can be a pacifist or a Combat Media) and the Healer. I already thought of the six member a head of time because every fantasy needs a cool old guy.

Also ideas for a love interest. Not slash pairings, I have nothing against them, I just can't write them well.

I see. Love interests are not my strong point, so I really can't give advice or ideas there. However, I could see this story becoming one of the more popular ones on the forum. Keep it up!

Delusional

Connoisseur of Hallucinations
Some advice regarding love interests: Love interests are not essential in literature, and you should never have to include them. If you can incorporate it well and in a way that makes sense and helps along the development of those characters, then go ahead with it. However, if you just want a love interest for the sake of having one, you are on the wrong track. Only include one if you feel it is necessary to further character development and you are able to incorporate them into your story and plot well.

Otherwise, nice writing. Though it is such a common thing to see Skyrim fan fictions that follow the main questlines too closely, you do a good job with it. Keep it up, I will be following this for sure.

Here is part of what I have written for chapter 2:

Chapter 2: Journey to Riverwood.

Algarth led the five of them through the dank and dusty cave. His blade was in one hand while a torch was in the other. Each of them had a weapon drawn: Gaius and Ralof with their axes, Hadvar with his sword and shield combination, and Chalur with his hunting bow at the ready.

“I still can't believe it,” said Ralof cutting through spiderwebs with his axe, “a real dragon! Just like the one Olaf One-Eye killed. Do you think that was the only one?”

Gaius shrugged, “Well it would be fairly logical to think that there would be more than one dragon. But considering dragons aren't suppose to exist, who knows?”

Chalur began to scratch the back of his head, “Hey Al, don't you think its a little odd that the dragon showed up just as soon as Ulfric was about to be executed?”

Then Ralof grabbed Chalur and shoved him against the wall, “Take that back lizard!” The blade of Ralof's axe was against Chalur's throat, “Jarl Ulfric would never endanger the lives of Skyrim and her children.”

Chalur chuckled, “Really? So killing the High King and plunging Skyrim into a civil war is his way of saying he cares.” Ralof prepared to strike, but Algarth grabbed his wrist.

“Both of you stop,” Algarth glared at both of them, “I don't think Ulfric would have sent the dragon. If he could, he would have used it to destroy the Dominion. Wait until we get out of here before we start killing each other. Now Chalur, I think you should scout ahead. It'd be better if we put some distance between you two.” Chalur nodded and went to the front of the group.

Hadvar put his hand on Algarth's shoulder, “That was good. You should really join the Legion. We could use more good men like you. I think General Tullius would let you in, considering your father is already a Legate.”

Algarth shook his head, “Thanks but no thanks. I didn't come here to fight. I came here to see the land of my birth.”

Chalur ran back to the group, “Guys. I heard some voices up ahead. I think we better check it out.” Chalur then led them to a small opening which revealed two figures in the distance. A large boulder obscured the view of figures. One was female, dressed in what appeared to be heavy armor. The other was a very tall male. He was dressed in black robes and at his side was a Daedric sword.

“I gave you one job Captain,” said the male as he circled the woman, “One simple job. And you not only made a fool out of yourself, but in front of the Master.”

The woman began to kneel, “Forgive me Arch-Servant. If the Master hadn't showed up when he did....”

The male then drew his blade, “Enough blasphemies! The Master does what the Master wills. Ours is not to question, but obey.”

“Yes it is,” the woman then rose, “I was out of line. It will not happen again.”

The male then sheathed his sword, “It is alright Sophia. Though our Master may be quick to anger, he will reward those who show faith and obedience. Now has the General been asking questions?”

“No my lord,” said the woman, “He was pleased that we were able to ambush the Stormcloaks.”

Hadvar then was able to get a better look at the two.

“I know her,” he whispered to the others, “That's Captain Sophia. She's the one who wanted to execute you two. The man is an Altmer, probably one of the Thalmor.”

“Quite!” whispered Gaius who was trying to listen.

“It was a shame Ulfric lived, but perhaps we can still use him,” said the Altmer with a smile on his face, “But first we must deal with the problem at hand.” Then the Altmer conjured up a fireball and through it at the boulder, destroying it.

The Altmer smirked as he saw the five of them in plain view, “It seems that the Nine have smiled upon us.”

Ralof drew his axes and pointed at the Altmer, “Thalmor bastard. Do not disgrace the Nine with your foul words.”

The Altmer simply began to chuckle, “My dear boy, I completely understand your hatred for the Thalmor. But sadly I'm not a Thalmor. Unlike those faithless dogs, I still worship the true Gods of Tamirel. The ones even you Nords have forgotten.” Then with a snap of his fingers, strange figures began to rise from the grown. They resembled men, but their skin was completely dry. Chalk white with chunks missing, revealing the skeleton. Their armor was old and rusty, almost as decayed as their owners. They were the Ancient Nord dead. They were Draugr.

The Altmer turned to captain Sophia, “You now have a chance to redeem yourself. Kill the Hunter and our Master will accept you again.”

Sophia drew here blade and said, “Truth through Strength!” And she began to charge towards Algarth. The Altmer suddenly vanished into thin air.