The mage that changed Skyrim (4 Chapters - more coming soon)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

Milos Rajkovic

Leader of the Temptress
[SPOILER ALERT]
Although this story does not have spoilers related to quests and people you can meet in Skyrim,(Only a few NPCs that you can actually find in Skyrim are mentioned, but there are no spoilers involved with them) it is highly advised to consider leaving this story for after you've visited and got to know Markarth.
Prologue
Even at a very young age, Theodore showed great potential. His uncle was a very famous mage that taught Theodore how to use and master alteration and conjuration spells. The little Breton learned and mastered most of these spells with ease, but he never showed much affection towards these two schools of magic.
Growing up, Theodore tried to convince his parents and his uncle that alteration and conjuration simply weren't the type of magic he'd like to further improve. While both his uncle and his father disagreed, his mother convinced them to give Theodore a chance. They found him the best mages in all of High Rock. One of them, Elyzona, a fairly young priestess, taught Theodore everything he needed to know about the restoration school of magic. The other, Bedoryan, an old mage that lived in an underground ruin, taught Theodore the illusion school of magic, but only if Theodore came to the cave himself. Bedoryan was a very strange person that didn't like to have contact with other humans. As for the destruction school of magic, Theodore's parents were afraid this school was far too dangerous for the young Breton, and since he himself didn't show much affection to this school of magic, he never found a mage to teach him this kind of magic.
Slowly becoming an adult, Theodore decided that he will master the illusion and the conjuration school of magic. As years passed, he became a true master of these schools. He could become invisible and stay that way for a long amount of time with ease, while conjuring a flaming familiar to distract or harm his opponents. However, mastering conjuration was a dangerous thing. Most people in Tamriel find this school of magic morbid, since it allows the caster to command the dead to walk the earth one more time. His father, Perastyr, a not so successful merchant, needed to find ways to make more money. When Theodore turned 25, his father left High Rock and traveled to Skyrim to sell his goods in Markarth. He promised that he would return once all of the goods are sold, which was supposed to last a few months, or half a year in a worst case scenario. However, a year and a half later, his father was nowhere to be seen.
Afraid for the health of his father, Theodore decided to travel to Skyrim, find his father, and return with him to High Rock. His mother, too old to be alone, moved to the house where Theodore's uncle lived, to stay there until Theodore comes back.

Chapter 1
Sitting in the carriage, Theodore thought of his mother and friends he was leaving behind. He didn't know much about Skyrim, nor the people who live there. All he knew was that the carriage was going to take him to one of the nine holds on the territory of Skyrim, namely Markarth, in which his father should be. Thinking he was not prepared to go to Markarth with so little knowledge, he asked the carriage driver about Markarth.
-Well, you see, Markarth is a city supposedly built by the Dwemer.
-The Dwemer?
-The dwarves or the deep elves, you can call them any of those. They are the ancient people that disappeared a long time ago.
-Oh, I think I heard of them. My uncle used to explore the ruins of dwarven cities in High Rock and Hamerfell.
-Yes, they had a strong presence in Skyrim, Hamerfell and High Rock.
-Okay, but I was more interested in the.. how do I put it... description of the city in the present...
-Well, Markarth is a strange city, to say the least. The Forsworn claim that the city is theirs, and the Nords claim it's theirs. The city is, as most say, corrupt and most of the guards are either paid to keep their mouth shut, or help the Forsworn on their own initiative. There is also the Cidhna Mine, where most of the rule breakers, murderers, thieves and people that disrupt the secret business of the city end up, digging ores for the rulers of Markarth.
-Markarth sounds dangerous.
-It is. I wouldn't go there at all if I were you. Being a Breton can put you in a very strange situation in this city.
-What do you mean?
-Well, the Forsworn... Do you know how they are also called? ... The witchmen of High Rock.
-The Forsworn are Bretons?
-Yes, my boy. And some say they control most of the city, while others say Nords control most of the city. Either way, be extremely careful.
Theodore was scared. He was afraid his father could have been mistaken for a Forsworn and killed. He was afraid he might also be in danger by going to that city. Not knowing much about Skyrim, he didn't know who he should trust once he arrives to Markarth. Should he turn to the Nords, or the Forsworn? Too tired to think about it anymore, Theodore fell asleep.
Chapter 2
Upon waking up, Theodore got up to see where they were. The landscape was no longer known or familiar to him. He looked around, trying to realize whether they were still in High Rock, or in Skyrim.

-Oh, you're awake, my boy. Finally. You've slept for over five hours. We'll be arriving to Markarth soon.

Theodore opened his backpack, to check if all his things were still there. Three books, "The Doors of Oblivion", "The Warrior's Charge", and "Before the Ages of Men" were still there. His alchemy ingredients were also there. A nice amount of wheat, a few fire salts and frost salts, and a large amount of white cap. Digging a bit deeper he found a little bit of blisterwort left from his last trip. That was enough to make a few decent potions. His clothes were also there. He wasn't planning on staying long, so the robes on him and the fine clothes in the backpack were more than enough for him. He also brought a steel dagger that he hid from his mother even since he found it exploring a cave with his uncle. After hearing all these descriptions of Markarth, he was glad he did. Even though magic can help him a lot, he can't risk not having any weapons with him. He never learned any destruction spells anyway.
While he was looking at the dagger, thinking about all the possible situations that could occur in Markarth, his thoughts were interrupted.

-We've arrived. Welcome to Markarth.

-How much do I owe you?

-70 septims.

Theodore gave him the money, having only 230 septims left to spend. Bringing more could have been a good idea. He didn't think that a carriage from High Rock to Markarth would be that expensive. The carriage left, and he was preparing to enterthe hold.
Looking at Markarth, Theodore was shocked that such beauty could hold such corruption. Every guard seemed corrupt, mysterious and threatening, mostly because of the stories he heard from the carriage driver. He slowly approached the gate, only to get interrogated by the guard.

-Hey, you. Come over here.

-Me?

-Yes, you. Come over here!

-Yes?

-I hope you aren't planning on making any trouble?

-No, sir, I'm not.

-Good. Just know I have my eyes on you. Don't get involved.

-Get involved in what?

-I told you NOT to get involved!

-Sorry, sir.

-Just enter the city and be careful. I'm watching you.

Theodore was confused. He wanted to find his father and leave as soon as possible. Seeing Markarth, Theodore started hating Skyrim, and wanted to escape from it immediately. Upon entering the city, the first thing he noticed was the river running through the middle of the city. The silver color of it amazed him. He came closer and crouched to have a better view. He noticed the strange smell the city was filled with. The smell of silver, iron and many other ores all mixed together gave Markarth a rather disgusting atmosphere. You could almost feel ores getting smelted in this area. As soon as the river stopped being interesting and Theodore lifted his head up, he saw all the floors of the city, and all of the houses carved into the mountain. The view was astonishing. Once again, Theodore found himself feeling disappointed that such a hold could be so corrupt. Walking through the city, the first thing he ran into was the market, which was also his destination. Walking around, scouting for his father, he attracted a lot of attention. Being a Breton made every Nord in the market place feel uneasy. After quite some time of searching for his father at the market, a man approached him. Old, with long grey hair, small, recently shaved beard, brown, tired looking eyes, old dirty clothes and a skinny body, he looked at Theodore for a few seconds, and then spoke.

-You, stranger. What are you doing here?

-I'm looking for my father.

-Bretons aren't very welcome here. I doubt that your father works at the market.

-He left High Rock to come and sell his goods in Markarth, but he hasn't returned for quite some time.

-What's your father's name, boy?

-Perastyr

-Perastyr what?

-Perastyr Sylbrose.

-And you are?

-Theodore Sylbrose.

The old man looked at the floor for a few moments, turned around and slowly left the hold, apologizing.

-Sorry, I haven't seen or heard anyone called Perastyr. You should check at the stables. People there usually know if someone came to the city.

Theodore continued to walk through the town, searching for his father until it got dark. Too tired to continue, and way too dark to see anyone anyway, he decided to rent a room for one night. Upon entering the Inn, a Nord, dressed in iron armor, got up and took out his axe.

-Get out of here Breton. This hold belongs to the nord. People of High Rock are not welcome here.

-I just want to rent the room for one night.. N-.. Nothing else.

-I said get out of here! Get out of here or these walls will be covered with your blood!

-Sir, please. I have nowhere to go and it's getting dark outside. I won't cause any trouble, I just need one room for one night.

-Suit yourself!

The Nord swung his axe at Theodore, missing him by only a few inches. Theodore, frightened and scared started dodging the swings while preparing a spectral arrow. He casted the spectral arrow, penetrating the Nord's stomach. As much as he disliked conjuration, he was glad he decided to master conjuration and illusion, for the specrtal arrow is the only spell that inflicts direct-damage and does not fall under the destruction school of magic. In just a matter of few seconds, the Nord fell down to the ground, dead. In complete mayhem, Theodore noticed the other people in the Inn taking out their weapons. In panic, he threw a calm spell, making all of the people sheathe their weapons and go back to their drinking. While the innkeeper was under the effect of the calm spell, Theodore took three venison steaks and two bottles of wine, leaving the inn in panic.
After committing a murder, Theodore felt lost. The calm spell was about the break and the people would start chasing me soon after. Knowing that he had nowhere to go in the city, he left as fast as possible.

Chapter 3

Upon opening the city gates, Theodore saw the stable and remembered what the old man in the marked told him. Since the spell will last only a few more moments, Theodore ran into the stable. He knew he couldn't wait for a carriage in front of Markarth, since the carriage arrives in the morning, and he also knew he wasn't ready to face the wilderness alone. Entering the stable, he woke up two Bretons that were inside. They both took out their daggers as soon as they got up on their feet.

-Whoah, whoah, I don't want any trouble. I'm here to ask if you've seen my father, Perastyr Sylbrose.

They look at each other, and take away their daggers.

-You're looking for Perastyr?

-Yes.

-And you claim to be his son?

-Yes. Where is he?

-Come, sit.

Theodore sits down, but full of suspicion and ready to cast an invisibility spell if things go wrong. As he sits down, the men bring some wine and introduce themselves.

-My name is Banning, and he's Cedran. We sell war hounds and horses. We knew your father. He came here a year and a half ago, claiming to be a merchant from High Rock. He needed a place to stay, and since he wasn't welcome in Markarth during the night, he slept at our place. Last time we saw him was a few months ago. He bought a horse from Cedran, claiming to be in great danger. He left his things behind, only carrying the money he had left in his pockets, riding the horse down the road.

-Do you know where he went?

-I'm not sure... Your father was a strange man. He didn't speak much. All he cared about was selling his goods and getting out of here as fast as possible. He mentioned Whiterun and Riften in our conversations on a few occasions, but that's the only information I have.

-Thank you very much. You see, I am in a similar problem now. Just like my father, I wasn't welcome here. I didn't know that however, so things got bad.

-What did you do?

-I...I killed someone.

-You k-..killed someone?! Are you out of your mind? They'll think you're a Forsworn and they'll lock you up in Cidhna Mine or kill you! Get out of here, or you'll make us all end up in Cidhna Mine!

-I just need a horse, please!

-A horse costs 1000 septims.

-Do you have any cheaper ones?

-I'm afraid not.

-Please, I only have 230 septims left...

-Hah, we have nothing to talk about then.

As Banning gets up to kick out Theodore, Cedran whispers something to Banning.

-Actually, boy, I might have a horse for you. We have an old horse in the back of the stables. She's weak and underfed, but she could carry you for some time. However, 230 septims is not enough.

-Would you accept books? I have three books I'd give you...

-I'm listening...

Theodore takes out his books and hands it to Banning.

-Now give me the 230 septims and you've got yourself a deal. Take the horse and leave.

Theodore mounts the horse, leaving his money and books behind.

-Good luck finding your father. Be careful in the wilderness.

And so Theodore left Markarth behind, trying to find Whiterun or Riften in hope of finding his father.
After riding for over an hour, avoiding hills, lakes, caves and camps, Theodore arrived to Rorikstead. Too tired to continue riding, Theodore took the chance and entered the village. Upon entering the village, he fell from the horse, and his horse fell on the ground soon afterwards.

Chapter 4

Theodore woke up on a bed in a darkened room. The doors were closed but sounds of laughter and music could be heard from inside the room. He tried to get up, quickly giving up due to the pain in his right leg. Lying on the bed, Theodore tried to remember what happened when he entered the village. Trying to find a comfortable pose, he rolled around on the bed, and noticed a note on an end table to his left. Picking it up, the note said:

"I hope you're feeling better. Come join us when you're able. You have some wine and water to your right, and there's a vegetable soup on the table. If you dislike soup, I'm sure I have some vegetables, fruits and meat in some of these barrels."

He felt confused, but at the same time safer then he felt the last few days. He could finally just relax. He drank some wine and ate some meat. As he was about to make a second attempt at getting up, a girl entered a room. It was a very young, brown haired girl with blue eyes dressed in red robes. As she slowly opened the door, and saw Theodore awake, she yelled.

-Mom! Our guest is awake!

You could hear a voice from a distance.

-I'm coming sweetie.

A few moments later, a woman entered the room, telling her daughter to go play outside. She was relatively young and beautiful with blonde hair and blue eyes. She was tall and dressed in long fine clothes. She had a golden ring on her hand and a golden diamond necklace around her neck.

-So.. Who are you?

-My name is Theodore. Theodore Sylbrose.

-Perastyr's son?

-You know my father?! Where is he?

-Not here anymore. But he passed through Rorikstead a few months back. Said he was in a hurry, rented a room here, slept, and left before we even woke up. Said he was heading to one of the holds.

-Yeah, I'm trying to trace him down.

-Well good luck with that. He could be anywhere. You've caused a great deal of trouble in Rorikstead though. What happened in Markarth?

-You... know I was in Markarth?

-Don't you remember anything?

-No.. I-..I fainted I guess...

-You got shot. So did your horse. Three guards from Markarth were following you. They shot you in the leg, and you fell from your horse. Our guards protected you. You're lucky Rorikstead is in a bad relationship with Markarth for the last couple of years, or you'd be dead, or taken away by those guards.

-T-..Thank you.

-Oh, don't thank me yet. People are demanding explanations. Where are you from? What brought you to Skyrim? What did you do in Markarth? You might have avoided the wrath of Markarth, but the people of Rorikstead are just getting to know you.

Theodore knew he had to be careful now, for telling a thing he shouldn't could get him in trouble, and being wounded, without money or a horse, he wouldn't get far. Non the less, he felt safer here. He decided to tell the complete truth.

-My name is Theodore Sylbrose, as I already mentioned. I am a Breton and I came from High Rock in search of my father, Perastyr Sylbrose, who came to Skyrim a year and a half ago to sell his goods to people in Skyrim. He was a merchant back in High Rock. My task is to find my father and bring him back to High Rock. I am 26 years old, soon to be 27. I am a mage, specialized in the illusion and conjuration schools of magic. I came to Markarth, for that is the place my father was supposed to be at. When I arrived, I wasn't really welcome, which ended in a Nord attacking me with an axe. Long story short, I killed the man and calmed everyone around me with sorcery, but since that couldn't last long, I fled. I bought the cheapest horse I could, lost all my money and most of my things and fled as fast as I could.

-...T-...Tha-..That's quite a story you've got there. I've decided to believe you, but most people of Rorikstead won't. It appears to me that you haven't hidden anything from me, and I appreciate that. But since you're into necromancy, it'll be hard from keeping my people from ripping you apart. And killing a Nord doesn't help. I'll do what's in my power to protect you. You get some rest, here are some medical supplies and some more food. You need to sleep if you plan on getting some strength back and walking again. Good night.

-Good night..... And... Thanks.

More chapters in the comment section

Milos Rajkovic

Leader of the Temptress
Chapter 5

Theodore was woken up to a sound of music and laughter. The inn was unusually busy this morning. He slowly got up, trying to gather strength. His leg was still injured, and he couldn't fully rely on it. Walking to the wardrobe, he found his fine clothes. They were clean and freshly washed. Putting them on, he opened the door, and walked to the innkeeper, trying to cover up his limping. Looking around, he noticed that most of the people inside were already too drunk or too occupied to notice him. However, in the far end of the inn, he noticed a hooded shadow observing him. Still sleepy, he couldn't tell if it was a man or woman. He tried not to give it much attention, still limping towards the innkeeper.

Upon approaching the innkeeper, he asked:

-Do you remember me?

-Well, I'm not sure. I have a lot of customers that come and go, especially in the last few months. But yes, you're.... You're that injured fella Catherine dropped off a few days ago.

-Catherine?

-The blue-eyed blonde-haired woman that lives in this village. I saw her bring you medicine and food, you must have at least saw her.

-Oh, yes, I know her. Where is she?

-I'm not sure. You could check her house. Say, aren't you the guy those Markarth guards were after?

-Me? No. I got injured while hunting, and Catherine helped me.

-Hmm.. No, I'm pretty sure you're that guy.

-What would it take to keep you quiet?

-Now you're talking my language. Gold, of course. My wife wants to make a garden outside the inn, but she has no flowers. Gold would be rather useful.

-I don't have any. Would you settle down for some fire salts or frost salts? Maybe some blisterwort?

-She won't be planting any blisterwort, trust me, and I am certainly not an alchemist.... Tell you what. If you convince my wife that a garden isn't something we need, I promise I'll keep quiet. A lot of men are either curious to find you, or were sent to find you, so I'd be careful... And fast.

Walking outside, Theodore tried to find Catherine and the innkeeper's wife. Walking around the village, he saw a woman with a basket full of flowers in her hand. Convincing her that a garden is useless might be harder than he thought.

-Excuse me.

-Yes?

-I couldn't help but notice your basket. You're collecting flowers?

-Yeah. I'm planning on creating a garden next to the inn.

-...Why?

-Because I like flowers and a garden would be nice.

-I don't think that's smart...

-And why is that?

-The inn is often filled with people. Drunk people. Most of them either leave or are thrown out still drunk. They walk around the inn, trying to keep their balance. Imagine them constantly walking over your garden, ruining everything you've worked so hard on.

-Well, you do have a point... But I could just build a fence around the garden.

-..... They are drunk people. They could just hop over the fence. It's not like they care if jumping over someone's fence is a right thing to do or not.

-Then I could build a wall.

-What's the point of a garden then? If you build up a wall around it, there's no point in growing all those flowers. Nobody will be able to see them, and the lack of sun will make it harder for them to grow.

-You may be right. I'll think about it.

Theodore went back into the inn, to inform the innkeeper of his success. As he entered the inn, he saw two guards interrogate the innkeeper. By the looks of their armor, it was obvious they were Markarth guards. Yelling at the innkeeper, one of the guards lifted him and threw him to the floor.

-One last time, old man. Where is the Breton kid?!

-I..I don't know.

The guard took out his dagger, stabbing the innkeeper in his right leg.

-Answer me, or you lose this leg!

-N..No, please. I.. I'll tell you... He's... He was here... He's.. Probably talking to my wife... He's outside, please... He's outside...

The guard stopped for a moment, and then stabbed the innkeeper a few times, leaving him to die on the floor. As the guard turned around, Theodore ran outside.
Once outside, Theodore didn't know where to go. Running down the street, he tried to find a good place to hide. Most of the crops were too small for him to hide among them, and hiding behind a house would be in vain, because too many faces already saw him. Running, he noticed Catherine on his right. He ran towards her, as she opened the doors to her house. Running inside, hardly breathing, Theodore started creating a spell in his hands.

-Whoah, whoah, whoah! What's going on? What's with the magic?

-Step away from the door, Catherine.

-How do you know my name? I never told you my name!

-Step. Away. From. The. Door.

As she moved to the left, one of the guards smashed the door, running at Theodore ready to pierce him with his sword. A few moments later, the guard's lifeless body fell down to the ground, with a spectral arrow coming through his skull. Catherine, shocked from what she just witnessed, ran upstairs to her daughter. As Theodore was about to sit down, he realized there was another guard somewhere nearby. Too tired to cast another spectral arrow, he prepared an invisibility spell. As the guard entered the house from the other side, Theodore vanished. The guard, looking around the house in panic, started yelling.

-I will find you! You little rat! You and all the Forsworn shall pay for what you've done! My mace will bash your skull! I'll gut you! You're a dead man!

Slowly taking out his dagger, Theodore walked around the guard, trying to find a perfect place to stab the guard. Finally walking behind the guard, Theodore swung his dagger at the guard. As his invisibility disappeared, the guard turned around, blocking Theodore's attack and pushing him to the wall. Theodore never really used a real dagger before. The closest he came to using a real weapon was conjuring swords, axes, maces and daggers, but they functioned differently than real weapons, and his lack of experience was showing now. As he hit the wall, the guard came running at him with his mace. With the remaining strength left inside of him, Theodore tried using an alteration spell that he didn't use often. Casting a paralyze spell, he managed to freeze the guard for a couple of seconds, allowing him to run to his dagger. As he grabbed the dagger, the guard unfroze, taking another swing at the Breton. As he did, a sword came through his chest, splashing blood all over Theodore. As the guard's body fell to the ground, it revealed Catherine, standing in front of Theodore with a sword covered with blood in her hand.

-You better start explaining, Theodore. And fast.

-Explaining what?

-Everything. How do you know my name? Why did the guard say you were a Forsworn?

-The innkeeper told me your name. I asked him for information, but he got killed by the guards. Before he died, he told them that I was outside, so I ran here while they were chasing me. I am a Breton that killed a Nord in Markarth. What else could they think I am, other than a Forsworn?

-You ran into my house, putting my daughter and me in danger. Are you crazy?!

-I had no other choice, and I'm sorry.

-Just.. Just go. Leave Rorikstead. You've caused too much trouble already.

-I don't have any money, or a horse... And I have nowhere to go.

-Just go... Take this and go.

Catherine handed him over 200 septims, escorting him to the door. As Theodore slowly left the village behind, he felt lost. Once again, he had nowhere to go.
To be continued...

Milos Rajkovic

Leader of the Temptress
Chapter 6

Walking down the road, Theodore noticed a large monument nearby. As he got close to the monument, he stumbled upon a man, also admiring the sight. Theodore decided to ask for some information.

-Excuse me, sir. Can you tell me what this monument is?

-This is Gjukar's monument, boy. Are you here to admire it as well?

-The truth is.. I'm lost. I'm not from Skyrim.

-Oh, my... You're a Breton, aren't you? You're from High Rock?

-Yes.

-Well, where were you planning on going?

-Any large hold nearby.

-Well, there is Markarth, but since you came from that side I'd say you were already in Markarth?

-Yes, I was. In Markarth and Rorikstead.

-Well, the closest hold would be... Whiterun or Falkreath.

-I've heard of Whiterun. I'll probably go there.

-Well, follow this road and you'll be in Whiterun in no time. But beware of forts and caves on your way. Those are dangerous places. Forts are filled with bandits, and caves are filled with giant spiders, bandits, traps and who knows what else. Especially beware of the Broken Fang cave.

-Broken Fang cave?

-That cave over there. People say the cave got it's name because it's home to vampires. Maybe this isn't true, but you wouldn't want to try your luck, would you?

-Okay, thank you very much.

-No problem, boy. May the Nine Divines watch over you on your path.

Slowly following the road, Theodore got more and more attracted by the mysterious cave with every step he made. It didn't take long for him to completely change his course. He was heading straight for the cave. Approaching the cave, he didn't find anything worth checking. The cave appeared abandoned and unstable. It's tiny entrance was covered in cobweb and it was nearly impossible to break through it. Even if he tried, a frostbite spider could appear from the cave, ending Theodore's life. Turning around, he continued to walk towards Whiterun. He felt disappointed, not even sure why. He expected something. Anything. As he was walking, he heard a sound behind him. As his heart rate quickened, he conjured a small dagger in his left hand, ready to strike however was following him. Unsure what to do, Theodore was still walking in the same direction, heading towards the hold. When his curiosity overcame his fear, he turned around. The cobweb at the entrance of the cave was gone. He felt as if his legs were frozen. Unable to move or make a sound, Theodore stood in place with a dagger in his hand. Trying to concentrate on his surroundings, he stopped breathing. A few moments later, he heard another sound, again coming from his back. He turned around, yelling as loud as he could.

-Aaaaaaaargh!

Swinging his dagger, hitting nothing but air itself, Theodore lost control and stumbled forward for a few moments, trying to regain balance, until he eventually fell to the ground. Raising his head, he noticed a shadow running around.

-Stupid fox! Shor's bones, you frightened me, little idiot!

As the fox wandered off, Theodore stood up, and continued walking towards Whiterun. Feeling embarrassed, he thought about paying for some training. He was completely unable to keep calm in battle, and his accuracy was horrific. Next to magic, he had no means of defending himself. And even his magic felt useless with the lack of knowledge in the destruction school. With only 200 septims in his hand, he couldn't afford much. His clothes were ripped and dirty from the recent fall, and he already ate half the food he brought from High Rock and Rorikstead. After observing his dagger, he noticed that it was damaged in his fight with the guard. After carefully examining the object, he decided to sell it for as much coin as he can. The dagger was useless on its own, not to mention when Theodore was using it.

After quite some time, he arrived to Whiterun. Looking at it from afar, he was shocked with it's... openness. Approaching the hold, he stopped at the trading caravans.

-Hello, my friend. Is the Breton interested in some fine weaponry? Maybe the Breton would like some food or clothes?

-Ummm.. Clothes would be nice.

-Ahh, the Breton will be surprised with the quality of our finest clothes.

-I don't think I can spend so much money...

-Oh, the Breton only has to give 20 septims for it.

After thinking for a while, Theodore gave the Khajiit 20 septims, took the clothes and wandered off into the hold.

Once inside the city, he tried to find a good place to change. Upon scouting the hold, he decided that the best place would probably be behind the smelter, since every other place was crowded. Undressing, he heard a laugh coming from his left. Turning around, he noticed the blacksmith, a tall Imperial woman, leaned to the backside of the house.

-I... I didn't realize you were there...

-Heh heh... I see. Don't mind me then. It's just that I have to use the smelter.

Feeling embarrassed, Theodore rushed to get dressed, putting on his newly bought clothes.

-Do I recognize these clothes? You bought them outside the hold? From the cats?

-Y..Yeah. Cost me 20 septims.

-They probably just took it off someone they murdered. Actually, more likely that they took it off a dead body they found lying around. They aren't skilled in combat. Who knows what kinds of diseases could that outfit have on itself. You could have just bought something at the general goods store.

-I... Yeah. Probably.

-Why are you so shy? Have you never undressed in front of a woman before?

-I... That's... Y... No. I haven't.

-Well it wasn't that terrible. You can stop stuttering.

-S.. Sorry.

-Heh... Could I maybe interest you in some fine armors? They're not skyforge steel quality, but they'll save your life when you come face to face with a bear.

-I d.. I don't have so much money to spend. I only have 180 septims, and I need to buy food and a place to stay.

-Oh, looking for work?

-I guess...

-How about you take this to my father? I'm sure he'd give you some money for the trouble. He gives away too much money if you ask me. After you're done, come see me again. If you're interested, you could help around the forge.

-Your father?

-Yes, Proventus Avenicci. He's a steward up at Dragonsreach.

-Dragonsreach?

-You're new here, aren't you? You can see it from here. That building over there, you see? That's Dragonsreach. That's where the Jarl of Whiterun resides.

-Okay, I'll bring it to him.

Taking the sealed letter, Theodore rushed to bring it Proventus as soon as possible, trying his hardest to be fast and efficient. The hold felt safe and comfortable, and staying here for a few nights didn't sound that bad. It would give him some time to earn some money, and search for his father around the hold. Walking upstairs, Theodore felt the rush to open the letter and see what it says. Trying his best to resist, he kept climbing. His curiosity once again prevailed, making him stop at the stairs. He opened the sealed letter, interested to read it's message.

"Father, as you've told me, I have prepared this letter in case he comes. I now hand it to you as confirmation. You were right. -Adrianne"

Reading the letter, Theodore was confused. As he continued climbing upstairs, he realized that opening a sealed letter wasn't a good idea after all. Knowing that Proventus was a steward, he didn't give much thought into the note. Entering Dragonsreach, he was stopped by the guards.

-Halt! Citizens aren't welcome here. State your business.

-I've been instructed to give this letter to the steward.

-Hand it over. I'll make sure Proventus gets it. Wait a minute, did you open this letter?

-Ummm... N.. No. I got it that way...

-Hmm. Alright. Now get out of here.

Leaving Dragonsreach, Theodore rushed to return to Adrianne.

To be continued...

Milos Rajkovic

Leader of the Temptress
Chapter 7

Running downstairs, Theodore noticed the number of kids running around the hold. Paying more attention, he realized that the hold was filled with people. From warriors to priests, from nobles to merchants, everyone was rushing through the city, troubled by their thoughts and jobs. No one had time to stop and look around. Actually, even he himself was rushing through the city, like everyone else. Remembering High Rock, he was shocked by the difference. His village was.. slower than any place in Skyrim. The people that lived in his village were friendlier. They all had their small jobs and families to take care of. Nobody ever rushed around. Everyone respected each other and there was no need for many warriors. Compared to Winterhold, his village seemed dead. Non the less, Theodore missed his home. He just wanted to find his father and go home, but as time passed, he started losing hope.

Lost in his thoughts, Theodore returned to Adrianne before he even knew. Looking around, he couldn't find her. Even though he wanted to find her as soon as possible, he decided to wait for her at the forge. The smell of melted iron, steel and other kind of metal he never even heard of intrigued him. As he approached the forge, he noticed a sword on the workbench. The sword was as beautiful as it was simple. Made of what looked like steel, the sword was thin, long and very sharp. It's black grip, covered in dark leather was astonishing. Even it's back edge was surprisingly sharp. Admiring the blade, Theodore approached the workbench. Putting his hand on the grip, he immediately fell in love with the sword. He started swinging the sword, shocked by it's almost nonexistent weight. The blade was perfect. Looking around, he noticed many more swords, but none even similar to the one he was holding. Most of them were simple iron swords, maces and axes. A few steel daggers were also lying around, and one wooden bow. Observing the blade, he heard a voice behind him.

-You really shouldn't touch that, you know.

-O.. Oh.. W... Adrianne, I.. I was just.. admiring the sword... Did you craft it?

-No, I haven't. I don't know who did. Isn't it beautiful, though?

-It's fascinating.

-Just put it down, please. Now, what did my father give you?

-Umm... Nothing.

-Really? How so?

-I.. didn't meet your father. The guards stopped me at the entrance and demanded the letter. They said they'll give it to Proventus.

-W.. You did what?! Are you crazy?!

-Wh... Why? What happened?

-That letter is for my father's hands and his hands only! You were to deliver it to him directly! Oh for the love of the Divines.. What have you done...

-I don't understand... What is so special about the letter, it only says.... Ahmm.. Eh..

-You even opened the letter and read it? And now the guards can read it too?! You're an idiot!

-I.. I didn't know...

-Of course you didn't! Now what am I supposed to do?

-I could ask for the letter back..

-They won't give it to you. You don't realize the importance of that letter. The guard will probably take it to their barracks. You have to get it.

-I.. I have to steal the letter from the guards?

-Yes. Take this, and use it well. Don't get noticed.

Giving Theodore leather armor, boots and helmet, she took the black sword and went inside her shop.

-We will not speak again until you bring me that letter. Hurry. You don't have much time before they read it.

The task seemed easy enough, considering that Theodore could stay invisible for a long period of time. All he had to do was take the letter and come back to Adrianne. He walked to the nearby inn, to rent the room for the night. It was pretty late, and Theodore did not have the strength to meddle with the guards at this hour. He rented the room and climbed upstairs. Putting his armor and clothes in the dresser, and his money on the end table next to him, he quickly collapsed on his bed. It didn't take long for him to fall asleep. In his dreams, the only thing he saw was the mysterious black sword he found at Adrianne's forge. Complete blackness, and that sword shining in the middle of the room was the only thing he saw all night. Waking up, he would check if his money was still on the table, quickly to fall asleep again and see the blade once more.

In the morning, he felt as if he never even slept. His body was weak and his hands were shaking. He was pale and even his candlelight spell quickly faded. He was troubled by the sword, but he knew it needed to be done. He had to steal the letter today. Putting on his leather armor, he realized it wasn't as light as his robes he was used to back in High Rock. The leather was rough and old, and the armor wasn't as good as he hoped. Its dark brown color gave away its age. At some parts of the armor, it was too thin to stop even the weakest dagger from penetrating his stomach, and the very idea of going face to face with ten or twenty highly trained guards frightened him. Where was he even supposed to look for the letter? At the entrance itself? In the dungeons? At a desk surrounded by fifteen guards? With him being as weak as he was, this was no easy task after all. But the blade... Everything would be so much easier with the blade. The blade would be capable of sliding through the steel and iron armors of those petty guards.. But where did Adrianne take the blade? The rest of the morning Theodore spent thinking about the task at hand. He decided to, if he even survives, ask Adrianne about the blade. Leaving the inn, he noticed the amount of clouds that have covered the sky. It was only a matter of time before it starts to rain. As if the time knew. But rain wouldn't be a good thing at all. His invisibility would be revealed by the drops of water falling on top of him. He tried not to thing about the weather, and focus on his task.

Focus.

Focus....

Cren Reon

Lord Mustard
I love this series, will be a regular reader

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Milos Rajkovic

Leader of the Temptress
I love this series, will be a regular reader

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I'm very glad to hear that :) This is one of my very first fan-fiction stories, that I really want to work on as hard as I can. :) However, due to a serious eye infection, as you have probably already read above, I had to delay further updates. Also, I am currently on a mountain with little to no internet and a broken down laptop with buttons that don't even work properly, so writing will be a real pain until 11. of August. However, I will try and get at least one more chapter up while I'm here.

Once again, I'm very glad you like it!

NinjaStarGod

Very good link into the whiterun quest which the blacksmith wants you to take the sword up to the steward o dragonsreach, Also just a quick note i would like to ask you, the dagger Theodore had was not needed if he had conjuration? anyways this is great im im waiting or the next chapter

Milos Rajkovic

Leader of the Temptress
Very good link into the whiterun quest which the blacksmith wants you to take the sword up to the steward o dragonsreach, Also just a quick note i would like to ask you, the dagger Theodore had was not needed if he had conjuration? anyways this is great im im waiting or the next chapter

Thank you for the kind words :) I'm very glad you like it. As for the Whiterun quest, yeah, it's a modified version of the quest :D

About the dagger though. The only reason he had it really, was to have a weapon when he was too tired/hurt or had no time to conjure a weapon. (Translation to gamers: When he had no magicka :O )
but it turned out to be useless cause he doesn't know how to handle real weapons ^^

And finally, as I said above, I hope to release another chapter while I'm on "vacation". I wanted to upload another chapter yesterday, but my eye infection got worse to the point I couldn't look, so I just "washed" my eyes (special liquid I have to use) and went to sleep. And this mountain isn't helping either. I'll try and release one chapter in the next couple of days, if not today. :)

Once again, thank you for the kind words, I'm really happy people like this.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts