Xbox 360 Stupid horse!

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Tryn

Premium Member
I thought this was a common bug but don't see it in the master list of known bugs.

After constructing a stable I went to Rifton, found my purchased horse, mounted it and fast-traveled it to my new Lakeview home. Upon dismounting, the horse snorted at me and wandered off. Is my horse just being rude? Will it eventually return? Should I just shoot it?

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Have you ever had a horse purchased from Rifen stable die or disappear before? Since the 1.6 update purchased horses that die will respawn and return to their stable but they will always wander off when you dismount them. There are unverified claims that the Hearthfire plugin fixed this though.

Nakatsu_Hime

Ohh, the occasions where I just wished a horse would snort at me and wander off. No, instead they're usually like needy puppies.

Tryn

Premium Member
Have you ever had a horse purchased from Rifen stable die or disappear before? Since the 1.6 update purchased horses that die will respawn and return to their stable but they will always wander off when you dismount them. There are unverified claims that the Hearthfire plugin fixed this though.
I suppose I could test that. Wait for it to die then quick buy another.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I suppose I could test that. Wait for it to die then quick buy another.
You could also go to the stable and see if it lets you mount another horse without stealing it. If it does then it's likely that you took the wrong horse which is what happened to other players, i.e. they bought one horse and it died, then later went to the same stable which had the respawned horse and the horse for sale and mounted the wrong horse after buying it.

Tryn

Premium Member
You could also go to the stable and see if it lets you mount another horse without stealing it. If it does then it's likely that you took the wrong horse which is what happened to other players, i.e. they bought one horse and it died, then later went to the same stable which had the respawned horse and the horse for sale and mounted the wrong horse after buying it.
Yep. There were others there that I could mount without stealing them, but was very careful to pick the horse identified as mine.

JClarke1953

I bought a horse once, and it died when we tumbled down a cliff (I never knew it might return from the dead). So, when I read something concerning the Dark Brotherhood, and getting Shadowmere (an almost immortal horse), I worked on that. Each time I fast travel to a city/town, it's always in the stable. He helped tank Alduin, and other enemy NPC's. the one time he did die was my fault, when I "shouted" a Marked for Death at an OP Draug and got Shadowmere as well. I went back to a save, and used other methods to kill.

Brent Fischer

I'm playing on PS3, and I'm having serious issues with horses. Long story: I left my horse in Riften stable, where I had previously purchased the horse, so I could go exploring on foot (without the horse entering hopeless fights and dying). While out in the wilderness, I happened on a horse standing next to a dead bandit. I had the option to ride the horse (not steal); I did. The horse died in a fight with two sabre cats and a bear. I went back to Riften stables...my horse was not there, and I did not have the option to buy another. I tried fast traveling to various places...no horse. I returned to Whiterun, in order to purchase a horse there, but a black horse (not a dapple grey, like the one that disappeared from Riften stables) there was clearly identified as my horse. I rode it; whenever I dismounted, it wandered off. I figured it was a glitch; I purchased a palomino from Katla's farm in Solitude (so I could tell the difference). Now THIS horse wanders off as soon as I dismount. WTH? Does anyone know how to fix this? I think I'm seriously fed up with wasting my money on horses.

Tryn

Premium Member
Thanks to one of the quests in the Dawnguard DLC I can just conjer up my horse when needed. Awesome.

Brent Fischer

More on the horse saga: I named the damn thing phooka, since it was generally unhelpful in its interactions, and I never knew what it would look like. The palomino was last seen running off into the woods, having been set on fire by a dragon (no body ever found); the black horse that showed up in Whiterun disappeared from Riverwood; the dapple grey from Riften was slain by Forsworn bandits. While I haven't checked recently whether or not there are any horses labeled as mine in Whiterun, there is a HORDE of Louis Letrushes where my horse used to be -- 5 at last count. ("Need something?") I thought that the patch my PS3 automatically downloaded was supposed to fix this? Maybe I can just ride Louis Letrush. Heigh-ho, Louis, away!

DRTBAG

Lmao......that Latrush thing happened to 1 of my charecters too!! I had 2 standing & 1 ¹/² in the ground right next to the Whiterun stables.

Brent Fischer

The Louises are now at NINE. They outnumber the other named NPCs in Whiterun! If only we could stick Whiterun guard uniforms on them -- we'd never hurt for manpower during dragon attacks!

DRTBAG

I haven't gone back to the character with the Latrushes in a while, but last count was 3 ¹/2 I believe. Lmao, man that guard thing is funny:D. Maybe try pickpocketing them & putting uniforms on em' for plopss&giggles! ! Mine get mad if I have reanimated dead around or a fire weapon.

"Hope for everything, expect nothing."

Brent Fischer

HALF of a Louis Letrush. Ggggh. Yecch. That's nasty.

Hadn't thought about reverse-pickpocketing... maybe will give it a try! Should try the fire weapon, too, since I'm tired of the rousing chorus of "Need something?" I get from the hive whenever I pass. Out of curiosity, what do they say when you have reanimated dead? (I'm guessing "Be careful with that fire!" for the fire weapon.)

DRTBAG

If I happened to pass by with dead they all say diff things or all will say the same thing at once, but mostly its"thaaaat spell looks dangerous! ! Keeeep your distance! !" One other thing I should mention, after taking Whiterun for the Stormcloaks there are fireballs stuck in & around the front gate as well. Its funny, but I RPG so that & the Latrush
thing kinda mess it up:sadface:

DRTBAG

You know that horse thing happened to 1 of my characters that I recall, but I didn't know they were reanimated horses. I'd go looking for my horse to see if it made it back alive & there might be 2 with "ride horse" in white & 1 in red, but none with my name. So, I'd take the "white letter " horse instead, but it runs off when you get off.

DRTBAG

Hey Brentfisher, what causes the Latrush thing? Manuel he's haunting me cuz I took the money & the horse!?!?

Brent Fischer

Hey, I let Louis have the horse and I took the money; I have no idea why he's haunting me! When he first showed up in Whiterun, next to my (well-behaved) horse, it made me nervous -- the man's a known horse thief! (Oh, wait...that's ME that's the horse thief!)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts