• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ponty

Article Writer
Any pointers on how i can stick to one character and not get bored of him? And please don't give me obvious things like roleplaying.. I don't know how to roleplay so if you could help me out with that too i'd be grateful

Thanks in advanced :)

Noroxas

Wait so you don't want us to mention roleplaying yet you're asking for advice on how to roleplay?
More on topic I would suggest reading up on every tree and each individual perk. If you're afraid of losing interest in a character halfway through leveling, it's best you get a good understanding of what each tree has to offer so you can pick out the ones that suit you best because at the end of the day one of the most fun things about skyrim is playing the way you want to.

SGT_Sky

Silence, My Brother
become an unarmed badass:

Siah

I've played almost every style as well, but I think all of them are my favorite. My base suggestion would be to start as a spellsword type and you can build from there which way you prefer - start with a bound sword and a spell with light armor and you can switch it up when you like. Go dual wielding for a bit then switch it up with some archery for those pesky mages or a 2h battle axe like a boss. I'd suggest playing for a while without any perks spent until you know what you like overall.
The character I've played the most was my Sith lord necromancer :p using lightning in one hand and a shiny sword in the other and forcing my defeated enemies to fight for me after a battle.

The beauty of the mixed build is you can make it your own anytime. You can conjure a bow and use an invisibility spell go sneak around if you want to snipe unsuspecting foes, or go all out destruction magics on a dragon, or whathaveyou. The downside is to be careful with how you spend your perks in the beginning. Spread 'em too thin and all over the place and you'll end up at helgen recreating your character again >.>

ponty

Article Writer
Thanks for the tips everyone. I've been busy coming up with builds that imma post soon. So i hope you guys will enjoy them

Drewski

Relaxing on Revis Island, with Revis and Holmes :(
Here's my one tip:- walk everywhere (no fast travel of any kind), eat meals, sleep sensible amounts every day, and optionally use the same follower. Fast travelling ruins the experience for me (which I've only realised after 600+hrs gameplay).

This way I've felt I've really got to care about my character, and he isn't just a computer sprite.

Oh and you said no Rplaying, but tough ;)...he's simply the son of a Goldsmith/Merchant who's father went missing somewhere in Skyrim. He needs answers, and reluctantly trades in crafted Jewelry and Fancy Goods to pay for his travels.....

cmp007

imo roleplaying a video game is stupid. Go out in the real world and not live your life through a game. Just do all the quests and factions and all that. Theres plenty of gametime to be played when doing all that

Train

Is that all you got?!
imo roleplaying a video game is stupid. Go out in the real world and not live your life through a game. Just do all the quests and factions and all that. Theres plenty of gametime to be played when doing all that

But...you're playing an RPG...:facepalm:...don't know what to even say to this, it's like dude...really? Really?? Seth Meyers needs to have a talk with you, seriously. ;)

I'm not gonna' be too much help to the O.P. since I have the same problem, I can't stick with a character much past lvl 25 (if it makes it that far), but I might be able to help with the role play aspect. Whenever I start a new game, I always sit at the build screen for a while, I think about everything that I'm wanting to experience and how this char. will interact with things. Warrior: then I usually play honorably. Thief or assassin: no honor. Mage: then I have to decide between good and evil (usually I go evil). Then I think about personality: scars, tattoos, eyes, hair, etc. builds the personality. Oh, and of course, gender plays a major role in it as well, I find that I stick with male characters longer, but make a lot more female ones o_O (so wrong).

I find that the more time I spend in that stage, and build the character with everything in mind, it really helps the longevity.

cmp007

I meant the aspect of eating every meal and sleeping everynight. And having a story made for your own guy. Like your living your life through a video game. Yes its an RPG and I love them. I play the game I dont try to make up my own story while playing though

Train

Is that all you got?!
I meant the aspect of eating every meal and sleeping everynight. And having a story made for your own guy. Like your living your life through a video game. Yes its an RPG and I love them. I play the game I dont try to make up my own story while playing though

Okay, I agree that eating meals is silly, but it would break immersion if there wasn't any food anywhere, so it's necessary, but I don't sit down and eat in taverns or anything, that's going too far. It's not so much in-game story I make up, as much as back story, but that's nothing more than the simple stuff I posted above.

No, one cannot live in a game, but games are a welcome break from the incredibly boring thing known as life. It's not always that boring, but when it gets that way, there's always something that never gets dull. So what if someone takes a little extra time and enjoys the game world, though? I used to be, and still am to some degree, a story teller of sorts; and if I've learned anything, it's that one cannot tell a story without practice (and roleplaying in a game can be great for that).

No, before anyone freaks out and asks, I'm not a bard, sorry, last I heard, bards died out with knights in shining armor. The same skills do apply in modern times though...you probably know more bards than you think...

Drewski

Relaxing on Revis Island, with Revis and Holmes :(
Okay, I agree that eating meals is silly, but it would break immersion if there wasn't any food anywhere, so it's necessary, but I don't sit down and eat in taverns or anything, that's going too far. It's not so much in-game story I make up, as much as back story, but that's nothing more than the simple stuff I posted above.

No, one cannot live in a game, but games are a welcome break from the incredibly boring thing known as life. It's not always that boring, but when it gets that way, there's always something that never gets dull. So what if someone takes a little extra time and enjoys the game world, though? I used to be, and still am to some degree, a story teller of sorts; and if I've learned anything, it's that one cannot tell a story without practice (and roleplaying in a game can be great for that).

No, before anyone freaks out and asks, I'm not a bard, sorry, last I heard, bards died out with knights in shining armor. The same skills do apply in modern times though...you probably know more bards than you think...

Ha, and from my main site (Uesp) I'm a fairly weak roleplayer...

Not here apparently. Just played for the last 10 hrs straight or so (while of course getting lubricated IRL). My son of Jakob Gullsmed (goldsmith in Norvege - who I did a whole AAR about-) Anders, still travels everywhere with Lydia. They don't travel at night, unless the start was planned to leave Whiterun a few hrs before dawn. He eats 3 meals a day, and has to rest for at least 20 mins game time for each meal.

They travel everwhere (no exceptions) on foot, and must sleep every day (often in the middle of dungeons). They always (even in Breezeholme) sleep in two shifts; Lydia first while Anders keeps watch, then Anders sleeps while Lydia keeps watch. (paranoid so and so;))

Lydia's kit must be improved before Anders, partly because he's Chivalrous, and mostly because he's got a massive crush ...

Lastly:- I'm a story teller too, but gave up on that, because my South Park style sense of humor may offend....

Train

Is that all you got?!
Lastly:- I'm a story teller too, but gave up on that, because my South Park style sense of humor may offend....

Good, offend people, people need to be offended 'cause they're and bunch of :bleepidy bleep bleep bleepers: :D ...and I mean that in the kindest way possible.

Quanah

Bosmer Shadowscale
Create a lore friendly backstory to your character. Research, research, research.

Play how YOU want to, if you don't feel like doing something in game, do something else.

Choose your own adventure, it's your own destiny. That is the true lesson of the rpg way of life.