• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Well I don't think gun like weapons would be a bad thing. Surely shooting a musket like weapon wouldn't be out of the question. It would work as a crossbow but more powerful but takes longer to load. Some type of working lights or transportation other than carriage or horse. Simple industry. Things like that.

Gearuvagen

I know, You know
Guns + Magic + Swords + Elves = W.O.W for me is all.
I just wouldn't like to be strolling through the plains of whiterun and trip over some sort of railway or something. Lights wouldn't be that big of a deal to me.

It's just to me the ES world seems so Tolkienian it would be a shame to attempt to modernize it.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Well there are plenty of things you can update in TES without going too far. I've played every TES game and unless they do something, I won't be playing the next one. :sadface:

Gearuvagen

I know, You know
It's just a fine line Bethesda is going to have to walk. Update too much and they'll alienate some fans, update too little and they'll alienate some fans.

I won't be playing the next one. :sadface:

Not even if it's in Valenwood? Where an industrial revolution is likely never to happen.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Not even if it's in Valenwood? Where an industrial revolution is likely never to happen.

The chances of a ES game taking place in any of the beast homelands is pretty slim since they are not as popular as some of the other races. Which is a pity.

One of the reasons I like elder scrolls is because it's medieval-like theme, castles and sword fighting, bows and arrows and sheet, pretty interesting to me. A more simple, yet more magical and mystic place. I wouldn't like this steampunk idea I think it would only interfere with my style of play, what would be the point in using a sword or bow then if there are fancy mechanical guns and what not then. Id like a crap load of more variety in weapons and armor though and more reward for getting something complicated done, instead of just making everything so easy putting markers to every little thing and being able to get the best weapon/armor in less then a week. There should be stuff SO rare in this big of a world, that months after, there are items still not even described on the internet because they haven't been found yet imo. Now that would make the world more worth exploring.

Gearuvagen

I know, You know
Oh wait... I'm tired. Just realized you said Valenwood. :p
Ha ha yeah, When you said beasts I was like o_O "I know they eat people, but damn!"
I doubt very much that the Bosmer would allow a great deal (If any) modernization to Valenwood. The next game could very well be set in Alinor which could be more advanced than the rest of Tamriel for all we know.

@Raindrops- I don't see many casual gamers going for that. The ES games are great (IMO) because they let player go at whatever pace they want. Though I would like to see more variations of armor maybe the ability to customize it via color or such. I would love to see "clothes" be separated.

Ha ha yeah, When you said beasts I was like o_O "I know they eat people, but damn!"
I doubt very much that the Bosmer would allow a great deal (If any) modernization to Valenwood. The next game could very well be set in Alinor which could be more advanced than the rest of Tamriel for all we know.

@Raindrops- I don't see many casual gamers going for that. The ES games are great (IMO) because they let player go at whatever pace they want. Though I would like to see more variations of armor maybe the ability to customize it via color or such. I would love to see "clothes" be separated.

I don't mean completely take away the markers but seriously I sometimes think Bethesda made this game directed at retards. (no offense sorry can't think of a better fitting word) Something in between skyrim and morrowind but with more rarer items to make things more worth pursuing would be great for me.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
I'm actually not afan of how Skyrim goes about things like quest markers, etc. Morrowind didn't have that stuff and was awesome. Should be an option to turn it off. I don't like my hand being held :p

Gearuvagen

I know, You know
I agree with the markers,then there's "floating markers" in the Settings who the hell needs those?

I thought you meant a month of hardcore gaming to get to the good gear. (I misread)
I found the starting level for most Daedric quest way too low and the artifacts way too underpowered, these are items that are supposed to have no equal yet I can make a steel sword outshine Dawnbreaker.

I agree with the markers,then there's "floating markers" in the Settings who the hell needs those?

I thought you meant a month of hardcore gaming to get to the good gear. (I misread)
I found the starting level for most Daedric quest way too low and the artifacts way too underpowered, these are items that are supposed to have no equal yet I can make a steel sword outshine Dawnbreaker.

Well I kinda meant that kinda didn't, I mean I don't want to have to play for hours a day for a month just to stop from getting my ass handed to me, but if there were such a bigger variety of things it wouldn't be a problem, I've played skyrim for a few weeks and as far as apparel and weaponry goes I pretty much have what I want as far as what the game has to offer me, besides upgrading my skills and stuff I guess to raise the stats.. But one of the biggest things I enjoy doing is exploring for better weapons and crap, now whatever I get I may as well just sell because I'm likely not gonna use it anyway because I have something better, just more rare things would be nice, so after a month I'm still finding badass weapons and things I'll definitely wanna try out and use.

Nighthiker77

More semi-unique enchantments would be awesome, not disenchantable, like the shrouded gloves, windshear, aethereal crown, or single occurrence like the gloves of the pugulist.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Who said anything about shooters? Even if guns are made, it wouldn't just turn into COD. I'm also hoping for other things. Apprentice mages powering machines with storm magic, gaslight lamps in the streets, mortar attacks from pirates. I want technology to mark the passage of time in this series.
Interesting thoughts. I think it might be too early for gaslight lamps, but I can certainly see storm powered machines and, while possibly not mortar, probably more along the lines of a siege engine or a catapault for the pirates. Hmmm... something to think about.

I could see catapults. Would also be cool if the environment was more interactive like in battlefield 3 you could blow up walls and knock over trees and stuff, how about to get across to certain places you have to use a little creativity, knock down a tree to get across an abyss full of sleeping dragons or dwemer machines to your next objective. Or maybe lead a group of mercenaries and jump off a rock onto a mammoth and charge through a wooden fort wall and start stomping over imperials. hahaha, aight maybe that's overboard but it sounds like fun.

Phoenix Knight

Unofficial awesome dude
What about them learning to store shock magic in primitive batteries? It opens up some possibilities and keeps magic involved.
That's actually a pretty good idea. I think batteries might be a stretch but some kind of object powered by shock spells (the way you make a compass by magnetizing the needle). Or primitive grenades, NOT like COD, similar to Greek fire? Greek fire was a liquid put in bottles that burst into flame on contact with air. Maybe alchemists could make them?

berzum

Why is the alto wine always gone?
Guns + Magic + Swords + Elves = W.O.W for me is all.
I just wouldn't like to be strolling through the plains of whiterun and trip over some sort of railway or something. Lights wouldn't be that big of a deal to me.

It's just to me the ES world seems so Tolkienian it would be a shame to attempt to modernize it.
there are lights in some dwemer ruins, they give off a greenish glow, probly gas lights, electric lights would fit in the tes though, I could possibly see air ship maybe but it would be a stretch, as far as railroads go I don't think they should be in tes, but the creators of TES if they plot the story out correctly these things could blend in nicely, im just affraid of it turning into a final fantasy type of game where there is magic and all this technology just lying around.

Phoenix Knight

Unofficial awesome dude
Gas lights could definitely be possible now in Tamriel. There are flammable gasoline like substances all over the place in caves/ruins. It wouldn't be that hard to create things like gas lamps (a burning wick that goes into a little pot of oil)