• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Volanere

Grand Magister
So I'm starting a new character to role play what have you found to be the most joyable character to role play as?

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
My favorite so far has been my Dunmer Pyromancer. I role played him as a fugitive from Cyrodiil, and after he made it to Skyrim, he spent all of his time searching for power. I am also really enjoying my current one as a Breton healer type mage, and he is the exact opposite of the other

thatwudbryan

yet another skyrim enthusiast
Well, if you're anything like me and have thoroughly played out the 3 main 'pure builds' like warrior, (sword n shield companions type character) thief/assassin, (bows/daggers thieves guild/DB contract killer) or the mage type (no armor robes pure magic, college of Winterhold) playing as a soldier in the Civil War whichever side it may be can be satisfying if you stay along the lines of the respective side you pick.

Depending on which side you choose, say Imperial, slowly do their questline to keep it realistic n not just rush through it and do imperial friendly quests like 'Rise in The East', 'Destroy the Dark Brotherhood' and quests like 'In My Time of Need' help Saadia since shes sells people out to the Thalmor :p. Go about taking out/over stormcloak/or imperial camps n stuff like that.

Try to exclusively wear their armors as well n try not to enchant them to make it a lil harder seeing as how they are some of the weaker armors in the game, if imperial I'd imagine using Any kind of weapon would be RP friendly although Imperial and steel would be best. If going stormcloak route especially if playing nord, I'd just strictly use stormcloak gear or some non-unique (no daedric or questline given armor) and steel weapons only, to keep it true to the RPing aspect and for more of a challenge.

Or if you haven't tried some or any of the 'pure' main three builds those can be fun as hell too while doing RP friendly quests for whichever you were to choose, personally my favorite build is the somehwat offensively challenged thief/assassin who relies mainly on bow sniping from shadows or the dagger from behind approach but I just assume most have already done that. Between the warrior and mage 'pure' builds though I'd say mage is more of a fun playthrough, more quests, better abilities and doesn't get old as fast. All up to you though just givin my opinions and ideas :Dovahkiin:

Catwoman

Notorious Cat Burglar
If you're like me, I'm one of those gamers that just can't stick to one character. I've had so many different characters during my time in Skyrim and I never can seem to settle down for just a few. I have to keep making new ones every single day so it gets a little tedious when it comes to picking favorite characters.

But alas, probably Dunmer Dark Brotherhood Assassin. Don't get me wrong, all of the guild quests are awesome to play but the Dark Brotherhood, in my opinion is the best guild quest by far. I have done the Dark Brotherhood quest line more times then I've had hot dinners. (Probably! ;) ) It's so great being an assassin because I love the whole fact of killing people, and the amount of morals you can give yourself when it comes to assassinating people. I chose my Dunmer Assassin to be dark and evil, with no morals at all. Every foe she meets she gives them a slow death...(including an arrow in the knee! :p )

Furthermore being an assassin can give you so much role playing ideas. My dunmer was originally a wanted criminal on the run in Morrowwind and she crossed the border into Skyrim to escape the law, only to be surrounded by crime again after meeting Aventus Aretino in Windhelm. Ever since then, Laruhna has been a dark brotherhood assassin, with a passion for slow deaths and blood shed. Although her kills are gruesome and sadistic, there's always nothing left of her target in the end. No trace, nothing.

So that's probably my most enjoyable character to role play as. Nothing to fancy. :D

Honestly, it's my paladin, but the story and RP behind it is pretty intense and hilarious. He started out insane, no armor, jumping around killing people. The towns people called him "Jungleman".. This continued until he slayed his first dragon and became - GOLDA... HAIR OF LIGHTNING! Hates undead, joined companions only to be turned into a werewolf.. has a horse who talks to him named Goldenrod... it's pretty fun and the story constantly rolls.

I made a completely made-up tribal guy named Hasha the Gi'nana. Redguard with no clothes and has a unique spread of skills that made it challenging, to say the least.

Recently, a jester I made was really fun as well. That RP build was hilarious too.

Daedra'Mc'Bitch

I absolutely loved my conjuration-based shield charger the first time I tried her out. Summon two Dremora lords, put an adept/expert level restoration in your left hand, a shield in your right, and start mowing down your enemies.

This build was worth it for the sole purpose of knocking Maven Black-Briar over the Riften bridge into the water below, even if it was a little cheap..

The Listener

So far my favorite character has been my Nord vampire/theif (using bows instead of daggers). I played him as a reformed criminal who joined the imperial army to change his ways and soon became a renowned soldier. When he heard about the dawnguard and what terrible things the vampires had done he decided to join them, but on his first mission he was contracted Sanguinare Vampiris. After he fully turned he came to embrace and love the ways of the vampires and returned to his past criminal ways. He is know the head of the thieves guild and the dark brotherhood.

Tilse

Spellsword
I've only played as two different types of characters so far, but I am considering making another already soon.
My first and main character is a Dunmer Spellsword, which I find enjoyable because I can use melee and magic at the same time. Destruction magic is especially fun to me. With this character I pretty much do any quests I feel like.
Recently though I've been playing with my Nord warrior character. No magic, unless you count shouts. It's been a little tougher, but not by too much. With her, I do whatever I feel like a Nord would do, meaning I joined the Companions, and I'm siding with the Stormcloaks this time (as much as it pains me, since Ulfric is just...ugh. And yeah, I know not EVERY Nord will side with them, but yeah. I pretty much imagine her as one of those hardcore "SKYRIM IS FOR THE NORDS!" people). Since she doesn't use Magic, she won't be joining the College of Winterhold (except for when required to enter because of the main quest).

I'm considering making a pure mage character next...probably will go with High Elf, and possibly play as a male for once, though I know it won't make that much difference.

So basically...at the moment I'm just playing different characters and act them out as different viewpoints, how my dark elf character deals with some racism due to be an elf, my stereotypical Nord, etc. All I have in mind for my future High Elf is joining the College of Winterhold.

Benthos

Proud Mer
I have played with quite a bit in most races in Skyrim and only a select few in Oblivion.
Argonian - Great advantages when it comes to mostly disease resistant (can still be poisoned but much more rare), water breather (can travel via safest routes in Skyrim, you can treasure hunt sunken ships and can discover many landmarks thanks to the Argonian alone), skills for Assassin/Thief built in, look cool, sound cool, can now wear and use everything everyone else uses and wears. The funny thing is, my Argonian character "Rumar" as you can see in my avatar and signature, has done it all, he is the College Mage at Winterhold, he is the Listener and the leader of the Dark Brotherhood, he is the new leader of the Thieves Guild, and he is the new Companion Leader. All with just the Argonian which is just awesome!

Khajit - great as well because similar skill build up as Argonian, they have night vision (which can also be gained with Vampirism for other races), most of the time I find myself out at night even though I should give my character rest so I'm still getting used to making them sleep instead of downing health potions and recovery spells. Their Histskin recovers your health 10x quicker than normal for a minute which can really help out when you're outnumbered or outmuscled. They look and sound cool as well (favorite voice in the game are the male Khajit voices by Kharjo and J'zargo), they are also very fun to use as well as the rest IMO.

Imperial - Great way to start the game when it comes to money, they have the built in luck factor and can find more gold and jewelry in containers and looting from bodies than the rest, in dungeons otherwise pretty dry when it comes down to it like Bleakfalls Barrow, my Imperial has found numerous of jewelry as well as a decent amount of gold. Their Voice of the Emperor is very helpful too when it comes down to taking out your targets or defending yourself against bandits and others who decide to jump you. Calming them regardless of level (except dragons), you can get an easy kill and the others are still under your voice effect so even if you kill their leader such as Kazim from "In My Time of Need" quest in front of his men, you can still walk out no problem. In literally half the time, I was able to buy Breezehome in Whiterun and the others in other cities than any other race. So if you're worried about gold and having your inventory balanced, I suggest going Imperial.

Orsimer/Orc - Tough, built in smithing bonus as well as Heavy Armor and Two handed which is fun to use even though I prefer my one handed + shield. Their Berserker Rage also comes in handy when in a tight situation just like with the Argonian's Histskin ability, you take half the damage and deal double the damage. If you're outnumbered, up your one handed skill for the double wielding flurry and just devastate the field/dungeon. Not much else to say other than if you wish to be a tank, go Orsimer.

High Elf/Altmer - Great when it comes down to the magic users, I'm not so thrilled with strict magic based which tends to be a bit harder than just combat with armor and the rest to help protect you from serious harm as opposed to 0 defense with robes. If you're patient enough, magic based users can definitely become great and almost unstoppable. Be warned for Bretons and Nords have magic resistance which help protect them a bit moreso than other races.
Special abilities
Highborn: Regenerate magicka faster for 60 seconds, once a day.
Fortify Magicka: Passive increase in magicka by 50 points. If the Necromage perk is taken from the Restoration perk tree, this will increase by 25% to 62 points.
Skill bonuses
+10 Illusion (level 25)
+5 Alteration (level 20)
+5 Conjuration (level 20)
+5 Destruction (level 20
+5 Enchanting (level 20)
+5 Restoration (level 20)
Starting Spells
-Flames
-Healing
-Fury

Dark Elf/Dunmer - Fire resistance and well known to be the better race to use when you're a vampire since that built in fire resistance helps against the vampire's weakness. The Ancestor's Wrath can help wipe out a group of weaker enemies as well as a group of bandits or Draugr that come after you which if you have fire enchanted weaponry, you're set with this. It's a decent boost in the below bonuses and another great choice for mages.
Skill bonuses
+10 Destruction
+5 Alchemy
+5 Alteration
+5 Illusion
+5 Light Armor
+5 Sneak
Starting spells
Flames (Destruction)
Sparks (Destruction)
Healing (Restoration)
Special abilities
Ancestor's Wrath: Once per day for 60 seconds, opponents that get too close take 8 points per second of fire damage. Ancestor's Wrath can harm neutral NPCs such as town guards.
Resist Fire: Your Dunmer blood gives you 50% resistance to fire.

I plan on starting on a Redguard for my girl and Bosmer/Wood Elf for myself in Skyrim, I will give a more detailed review on the race (another great assassin/thief) when I begin on that. I hope to start recording though with the Video Capture device which I still lack the money to get.

Maybe a serial rapist imperial?
Boy, wouldn't that spice up gameplay?

Daedra'Mc'Bitch

Khajit - great as well because similar skill build up as Argonian, they have night vision (which can also be gained with Vampirism for other races), most of the time I find myself out at night even though I should give my character rest so I'm still getting used to making them sleep instead of downing health potions and recovery spells. Their Histskin recovers your health 10x quicker than normal for a minute which can really help out when you're outnumbered or outmuscled. They look and sound cool as well (favorite voice in the game are the male Khajit voices by Kharjo and J'zargo), they are also very fun to use as well as the rest IMO.

Argonians have histskin. They'd be damn unlucky if the khajiit got all the good stuff.

Benthos

Proud Mer
Argonians have histskin. They'd be damn unlucky if the khajiit got all the good stuff.
If you play the game based on abilities, then yes, you're going to have a harder time playing with Argonian compared to any other if Khajit robbed them of abilities. Histskin has helped me through a few close calls.

Daedra'Mc'Bitch

If I hypothetically played the game based on abilities, I think I'd go with Orc. Berserker rage + elemental fury + daedric greatsword. That would be some nasty damage right there.

Volanere

Grand Magister
Thanks for all the ideas everyone, I've been a wood elf, imperial, and dunmer. I've chosen to become a badass Orc who dual wields and only wants to hulk smash people.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
I always liked playing with mages and rogue types over warriors, especially in Oblivion. But with the new combat and finishing animations in Skyrim, I've found warriors to be just as satisfying lately. It's just that I don't put as much time into my warrior build as my mage builds.

Benthos

Proud Mer
Thanks for all the ideas everyone, I've been a wood elf, imperial, and dunmer. I've chosen to become a badass Orc who dual wields and only wants to hulk smash people.
Be sure to get the complete shout "Marked for Death", if you have all 3, you can use that to make all enemies (including dragons) more susceptible to damage of various kinds. It's a great set up and wear the Amulet of Talos to recharge your shouts quicker, to get that if you forgot or don't know, just loot the executed body on stage in Solitude.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
and wear the Amulet of Talos to recharge your shouts quicker, to get that if you forgot or don't know, just loot the executed body on stage in Solitude.

You shouldn't pick that one up unless you want it in your inventory permanently. That Talos amulet is glitched and you can't get rid of it (unless you play on PC of course).

Benthos

Proud Mer
You shouldn't pick that one up unless you want it in your inventory permanently. That Talos amulet is glitched and you can't get rid of it (unless you play on PC of course).
Okay, then here are other locations:
-Can often be pickpocketed from Borri.
-Can often be on Stormcloak soldiers
-Radiant Raiment occasionally sells an Amulet of Talos.
-The safe in Markarth's Treasury House occasionally contains an Amulet of Talos.
-Can be found on the Shrine Of Talos outside Fellglow Keep (not always there).
-Rarely seen for sale in Belethor's General Goods, in Whiterun, for 25 Gold.
-Sometimes sold at the Riverwood Trader at the beginning of the game.
-Can be Pickpocketed off of one of the Greybeards (sometimes)

Ok, what's wrong with an Amulet of Talos you can't get rid of, exactly? That means you can take it into the Thalmor Embassy (Without smuggling it, Delphine doesn't take it from you) and if you ask me, that's just plain cool. (Think about it, you can wear it at the party.) Seriously, how much does it weigh?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts