• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

El Fonz0

On my nearly level 30 Nord Paladin-Knight character, I've been using Restoration a lot, like any self respecting Undead slayer, but I want to use more types of spells, because Archery doesn't seem like the ranged weapon of a Paladin-Knight.

What types of spells should I use? Besides Flame spells, of course. I'm thinking Alteration, but I'm not sure I would even use it. I won't use Conjuration, as this character hates the Daedra and Necromancy.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
Crossbows if you have DG, otherwise I say some of conjurations support spells like banish or illusion.

El Fonz0

Well, I play on PC, so no Crossbows, and I forgot all about the Banish line of Conjuration... probably because there are no perks for them, so I forget.
So, Restoration, Flame Destruction, Banish Conjuration, Crossbow when DG hits PC...
What other spells? Maybe other types of Destruction? Flesh spells don't seem useful, and the Detect spells are more useful for sneaky, though Detect Dead will tell me where Vampires, Zombies, and Draugrs are.

Morgan

You may have missed Squirrel Killer's suggestion of Illusion, which I second. Calm and Courage, and maybe even Fear, seem like very knightly effects (although probably not Frenzy).

El Fonz0

You may have missed Squirrel Killer's suggestion of Illusion, which I second. Calm and Courage, and maybe even Fear, seem like very knightly effects (although probably not Frenzy).
I didn't miss it, but calming enemies, as well as maybe giving them courage to face me, sounds interesting. I don't want to strike fear into their hearts, though. So just Calm and Courage spells.

Morgan

I didn't miss it, but calming enemies, as well as maybe giving them courage to face me, sounds interesting. I don't want to strike fear into their hearts, though. So just Calm and Courage spells.

That would indeed be noble of you! I was thinking more along the lines of casting Courage on your follower(s) and leading the charge. The use of Fear would definitely vary depending on the type of Paladin you played. The Vigilant type would certainly cast Fear, while the King Arthur type would be highly unlikely to.

I also think that, although none of the Alteration spells really jump out as Paladin-like, the magic resistance and spell absorption perks do. Your unwavering faith shields you from these unholy magics, that sort of thing.

General Theodred

for the love of Talos...
For ranged combat you can use destruction spells like firebolt or incinerate. But you should try out other things too to prevent getting bored, like archery and illusion. Nothing's stopping you :D:D

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

ShadowGambit

Fire spells are not in the Paladin arsenal traditionally.

If you want a range attack spell, I would choose Shock spells. Smiting, Wrath of gods etc... are all Shock spells and are in Paladin/Cleric arsenal, as gift from their deity.

Furthermore, Shock spells are the least resist of the 3 types of magical damage, and the "low health" spell Disintegrate is the only useful one of the 3, in my point of view.

El Fonz0

Fire spells are not in the Paladin arsenal traditionally.

If you want a range attack spell, I would choose Shock spells. Smiting, Wrath of gods etc... are all Shock spells and are in Paladin/Cleric rrsenal, as gift from their deity.

Furthermore, Shock spells are the least resist of the 3 types of magical damage, and the "low health" spell Disintegrate is the only useful one of the 3, on my point of view.
You know, I never thought of using Shock Spells like that. Though you can't deny that Flame spells are the ultimate Undead-slayer. My character's kinda like a Paladin of the Nine.