• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Eturnus

Having played Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, I can honestly say that this is the best out of the 3.

I admit i have a bit of an issue with the UI.
I admit i miss spell creation
I admit I find the the factions quest lines to short

If all i can think of to fault the game is those three things, Beth has done an amazing job with this game. I was actually just telling somone the other day that i have found my new benchmark game. For years to come i see myself comparing every RPG i pickup to Skyrim when deciding if it s a good game or not.

Drem

i've played d-fall, morrowind, and oblivion exstensively and this is the best since morrowind. i thought oblivion was terrible. white gold tower? orange road? black forest? everything in that whole game was generic and boring. you could tell they put 0 work into the game world (a lot of it was randomly generated), the voice acting was awful, the animations were awful, etc etc etc.... the UI was also awful and designed for little tiny TVs/monitors. the text/icons were huge. the hotkeys on the dpad were lame compared to the new favoriting system too imo

i really had to force myself thru oblivion for the achievement points/storyline. awful experience, still have a sour taste in my mouth from that game

with skyrim i dont like how acrobatics/athletics are gone, i dont like how we were promised passive mobs but really it's just the giants/mammoths that are indestructible anyway, and i still hate that they took out other throwing weapons like darts/shurikens/knives. also i'll never forgive them for removing levitate

Cave

They had so many good things about skyrim, but then again so many bad things that they NEVER had to change

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
whatever floats your boat, brother. I'm enjoying this game too much to comprehend the absurdity of terrible UI design (at least for PC). no game is meant for everyone. except the game.

demujin

also i'll never forgive them for removing levitate

When Oblivion first came out I was sorely dissapointed that they removed levitation. But with that being said, world design would indeed be different for both TES 4 and 5. Morrowind had temples and locations requiring levitation (or at the very least an uber powerful fortify jump effect) to navigate them. In Skyrim the world is not designed with levitation in mind.

Drem

I find it weird everyone says Giants and mammoths are indestructible.. I've killed a few...

i'm level 15 playing on master. i can't even touch em. hardly a scratch.

and yeah i heard that, demujin. i feel it was mainly removed due to their decision to make cities seperate areas. morrowind cities were all seamlessly a part of the game world. it just doesn't seem to me like they wanted to bother with it. probably because it leads to a lot of exploitation with fighting and things like that but i still loved it just for mobility

Jimmious

First off, hello everybody! This is my first post in these forums, yeeee :p

I must state my opinion about the matter.
For me it is the exact opposite than what the OP said. I really didn't like Oblivion at all, it was very boring and the world was very dull and unimaginative. The characters didn't have any real...character and the storytelling in general was not really interesting. Didn't manage to play more than 9-10 hours.

On the contrary in Skyrim having played about 10 hours, I am sincerely amazed and enthralled. Everything seems thought of and detailed, not generic and rushed. Even hunting a single deer seems so realistic and interesting, like it is some kind of mini-game! I guess Oblivion was better for the "I wanna go 100 on everything" kind of players, but for RP fans like me that preffer a world with character and feelings Skyrim is by far the best game of its kind (1st person real-time RPGs) I've played so far.

Onyx

Have to say for me, Skyrim is the best of the bunch. Could not get into Oblivion s I did not find it fun with the painful (my opinion) leveling system that sucked all the fun out of it for me.

I really enjoy the perk system and for me gives this more depth than the previous titles.

Sad to hear some ppl do not enjoy this but we are all different and like different things and luckily there are a lot of good games out at the moment to choose from! Unfortunatly I will not be able to try em as Skyrim has hooked me well and good.

Need to go to a SA meeting or something....

Alduins Shadow

DragonBorn
oblivion is easy to level up in, just get the alteration spell easy lock and constantly use it on a door and your alteration skill will go up and you will level up SHAZAM!!!!!!!!!!

Onyx

oblivion is easy to level up in, just get the alteration spell easy lock and constantly use it on a door and your alteration skill will go up and you will level up SHAZAM!!!!!!!!!!

Aye, actually leveling was not the problem, but leveling up correctly was the issue to make sure you got max (x5) modifiers, making sure your most used skills stayed high etc. Since all the baddies lvled up, mistakes led to quick and painful death (and yell/cries/weeps/sobs of frustration from me)

Hence why I like the Skyrim model more, allows me to focus on playing the game instead of having a brain hemorage worrying how many secondary skills I need to lvl up to get max modifer :D

Nuclear Dave

I have to agree with Purdekat. I was really looking forward to this game. The game menus were just fine in Oblivion so why go and fix something that's not broken? The questing is HORRIBLE compared to oblivion. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves Bethesda. I played Oblivion for the longest time, made many characters but Skyrim is just BAD, Horrible. Skyrim has a very bad in game map and the quest area of the UI is just as bad. You had better have photographic memory or a notepad to keep up with what you need to do especially if you don't play for a couple of days. Another great company makes a HORRIBLE game, what's new.

The quest system leaves nothing to guess. If you go to your quest log and highlight a quest, it puts an arrow on your Map and compass of where to go. As well as an arrow over the item or person you need to find. There are 1 or 2 quests that Ive seen so far that make you guess a bit, but they put hints in the quest log. One i can think of was to find a redguard woman in a little town. well redguards stick out like a sore thumb in a town full of nords, so it didnt take long to find her.

The quest system leaves nothing to guess. If you go to your quest log and highlight a quest, it puts an arrow on your Map and compass of where to go. As well as an arrow over the item or person you need to find. There are 1 or 2 quests that Ive seen so far that make you guess a bit, but they put hints in the quest log. One i can think of was to find a redguard woman in a little town. well redguards stick out like a sore thumb in a town full of nords, so it didnt take long to find her.

I agree. I turned off the arrow over people's head feature off. The quest marker needs to be in some missions I think, but not most of them.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts