Something some of you might like

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

SGT_Sky

Silence, My Brother
I was in late for a counseling session of a soldier of mine today and long story short, this got shared with me and I asked if I could pass it on and they said they didn't have a problem with it. I'm not sure if they wrote it or if it was something they just thought was neat but anyway, here goes:
Take a man and put him alone,
12,000 miles away from home,
Empty his heart of all it's blood,
Make him live and sweat in mud,
This is the life I chose to live,
This is the soul to the Devil I give,
So have your parties and drink your beer,
While young men and women die over here,
Protest the war and have your fun,
But still refuse to carry a gun,
There is nothing else for you to do,
Yet I'm supposed to die for you,
There is something you should know,
And that's where I think you should go,
But I'm already here so it's too late,
I've traded all my love for hate,
In this place that I may die,
I will forever hear my mother cry,
I saw his head and the blood he shed,
Just as Doc said "Another is Dead.",
It's the highest price a man could pay,
Just so you can live the American way,
We will get our tattoos of skills and tears,
So you can scrutinize for years,
So many opinions but only few will ever know,
And you didn't have the balls to go
like i said, this isn't mine but I asked my soldier if I could share it. let me know what you think

SGT_Sky

Silence, My Brother
i realize this could have been presented better, but I deleted this thread 4 times and reposted and it is still coming out with improper spacing and stuff. The edit tool doesn't seem to work..

EDIT: okay, got it properly spaced now

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
Edit behaves oddly when some formatting is in place. It's a fussy thing overall :sadface: I'm sorry you had trouble with it. In the future, just let me know if there's an issue and I can try and get it sorted out.

As far as the poem, I find it to be very poignant. It is very cold and sad but it feels honest. I hope the counseling session went well . I also hope that while it may feel as though no one gives a crap, no one hears, no one cares and no one values their service, that is not true for a great many of us who are sitting at home for any number of reasons. The military is not the place for everyone and we are fortunate to live in a time when service is not mandatory. Still, there are plenty of us who understand, who are thankful and who know that our freedoms are not to be taken lightly.

One big difference between my grandfather's homecoming and my uncle's was that after WWII, soldiers were heroes. After Vietnam, they were villains. I talk to both men about their service; what they did, what they saw and how they managed to come back home and live normal lives. They both are to a point (sometimes about a few beers) of sharing their stories with me. I have found it is the most important gift I can give to them both. It is a gift of time. A gift of non-judgement. A gift of a soft place to fall when they speak of that buddy who was joking around all the time and now lies shrouded in his country's flag. The gift of promising to remember. To teach our children about our heroes and to make sure they know the cost.

The traveling Vietnam Wall came to a town close by and I took my daughter. Obviously, the main part was the wall itself, but they had all kinds of information about all the major wars and conflicts. I made sure she read every one. When we got to the Wall, I made her read each name. I told her they were not just letters. They were people. Human people. Fathers and brothers and sons. I took her to Capt. Andrew Ivan Jr., whose bracelet I had worn for so long that it cracked. I wept to see his name, this man who died before I was born. I took my pencil and paper and got the rubbing of his name. My closure. His closure came when his remains were finally identified and brought home.

In the media, you might be alone because that's the spin that gets ratings. You're not alone, however. Never.

Chryss

I happen to be a very proud USMC Mom. My son and many of his friends are going in or just leaving the service of this country. When I read those words, I honestly cried. You can feel the hurt as he writes from his heart. Yes, he still has a heart, maybe its broken or maybe its lost behind the wall he built to protect it.
To many people take their freedom for granted, my parents were both in german labor camps. They didn't speak much of what they lived through but my research has painted me a very grim picture. With that, I appreciate all my rights and honor every man and woman that has served this country and has given us those rights.

With Memorial Day coming and everyone having a day off , this couldn't have come at a better time. Thank you so very much for posting that. <3

SGT_Sky

Silence, My Brother
Edit behaves oddly when some formatting is in place. It's a fussy thing overall :sadface: I'm sorry you had trouble with it. In the future, just let me know if there's an issue and I can try and get it sorted out.

As far as the poem, I find it to be very poignant. It is very cold and sad but it feels honest. I hope the counseling session went well . I also hope that while it may feel as though no one gives a crap, no one hears, no one cares and no one values their service, that is not true for a great many of us who are sitting at home for any number of reasons. The military is not the place for everyone and we are fortunate to live in a time when service is not mandatory. Still, there are plenty of us who understand, who are thankful and who know that our freedoms are not to be taken lightly.

One big difference between my grandfather's homecoming and my uncle's was that after WWII, soldiers were heroes. After Vietnam, they were villains. I talk to both men about their service; what they did, what they saw and how they managed to come back home and live normal lives. They both are to a point (sometimes about a few beers) of sharing their stories with me. I have found it is the most important gift I can give to them both. It is a gift of time. A gift of non-judgement. A gift of a soft place to fall when they speak of that buddy who was joking around all the time and now lies shrouded in his country's flag. The gift of promising to remember. To teach our children about our heroes and to make sure they know the cost.

The traveling Vietnam Wall came to a town close by and I took my daughter. Obviously, the main part was the wall itself, but they had all kinds of information about all the major wars and conflicts. I made sure she read every one. When we got to the Wall, I made her read each name. I told her they were not just letters. They were people. Human people. Fathers and brothers and sons. I took her to Capt. Andrew Ivan Jr., whose bracelet I had worn for so long that it cracked. I wept to see his name, this man who died before I was born. I took my pencil and paper and got the rubbing of his name. My closure. His closure came when his remains were finally identified and brought home.

In the media, you might be alone because that's the spin that gets ratings. You're not alone, however. Never.

I just had to fiddle with the Edit button enough and it worked, no big deal. but, will do.

It was just a general counseling, something that had to be done with all the Soldiers so I could complete my paperwork for the month. Yes, it went well,she is a very sound soldier this poem got brought up because we were discussing future goals and self-worth and alot of other things (she was my last counseling). I asked her to describe this further to me after I had read it from her notebook she passed me and she explained that it was written from a man's perspective from a woman because that was more socially acceptable and it was aimed at the people who take their country for granted. She knows, there are people out there that don't fit this stereotype, she's just very passionate about her career choice.

They sound like wonderful men, the both of them. Time is a very precious gift, thank you for being a wonderful person.

You sound like a great teacher and an even greater parent, Rayven. Thank you for your continuing support and your passion to inform people of what is right and not just what is generally accepted.

SGT_Sky

Silence, My Brother
I happen to be a very proud USMC Mom. My son and many of his friends are going in or just leaving the service of this country. When I read those words, I honestly cried. You can feel the hurt as he writes from his heart. Yes, he still has a heart, maybe its broken or maybe its lost behind the wall he built to protect it.
To many people take their freedom for granted, my parents were both in german labor camps. They didn't speak much of what they lived through but my research has painted me a very grim picture. With that, I appreciate all my rights and honor every man and woman that has served this country and has given us those rights.

With Memorial Day coming and everyone having a day off , this couldn't have come at a better time. Thank you so very much for posting that. <3

No, Thank You for being a supportive member of Armed Forces (family members count too). I'm glad you are passionate and supportive of your son's choice, so often I run into many people that are torn between the job they love and the people they love due to lack of support from the family front.

She is still very much a person, she performs her duties and performs them well, rises above expectations and has been awarded for such. She explained to me that it was written from a mans perspective because that would be more socially acceptable. She has had a hard life though (since I have known her atleast) and often lets the bad things in life get her down, we're working that issue.

I don't think I would want to talk about those things either, I have done alot of research on the subject myself and I think they must be very strong for even having made it out of that situation.

You're welcome and thank you for your support.

Tannia

That is a very passionate and inspired piece of work, you should feel honored to have such talent around you, Skylar.

Whoever that girl is, she is very lucky to have a person in charge of her that cares so much as to delve into her personal thoughts like you have. I don't possess the ability to properly convey my thoughts about this.

If i had to choose a term for the both of you I would choose

"awe-inspiring"

SGT_Sky

Silence, My Brother
That is a very passionate and inspired piece of work, you should feel honored to have such talent around you, Skylar.

Whoever that girl is, she is very lucky to have a person in charge of her that cares so much as to delve into her personal thoughts like you have. I don't possess the ability to properly convey my thoughts about this.

If i had to choose a term for the both of you I would choose

"awe-inspiring"

wow, thank you, Tannia.

Oh, I got your email from earlier, lol, what exactly is that second picture? I mean, I know you are in it, but wtf?

Tannia

wow, thank you, Tannia.

Oh, I got your email from earlier, lol, what exactly is that second picture? I mean, I know you are in it, but wtf?

if you rotate it to the left I think you will be able to tell, if not message me and I'll tell you.

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
That's some very powerful stuff, Sgt. Thank you for sharing and for reminding us. Lord knows we sure need the reminding part, though some more than others. I'll be thinking of you and your crew during this Memorial Day weekend. Take care. <3

Start Dale

I got 99 problems but a Deadra ain't one.
That is a powerful poem, just read it. Very good. I'm a UK citizen, however our family always wears our Poppy on Rememberence Day over here. Hope your keeping well.

SGT_Sky

Silence, My Brother
That's some very powerful stuff, Sgt. Thank you for sharing and for reminding us. Lord knows we sure need the reminding part, though some more than others. I'll be thinking of you and your crew during this Memorial Day weekend. Take care. <3

I know you posted this awhile back but I've been busy saving the world...*sarcasm* thank you for your support

SGT_Sky

Silence, My Brother
Glad to see you're still with us, Sky :)
oh yes, im still here. just been really wrapped up in things. haven't been to my actual house in almost a month and a half now. well, minus today. im home now.

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
I'm with Rayven, Sgt. Glad to see you're still around, as there was a lapse in posts from you. Saving the world? I've no doubt you probably have your moments, and again, it's much appreciated. You and Halkin stay safe, and your squad, of course. :)

Start Dale

I got 99 problems but a Deadra ain't one.
I'm with Rayven, Sgt. Glad to see you're still around, as there was a lapse in posts from you. Saving the world? I've no doubt you probably have your moments, and again, it's much appreciated. You and Halkin stay safe, and your squad, of course. :)

Yeah what he said.

SGT_Sky

Silence, My Brother
definitely, bro. thanks. don't have too much fun

l0rdg0ld666

Listener
It is very cold and sad but it feels honest.

Agreed. Too many people out there who talk plops about the us army, when they know there too pussy to do a damn thing about it.

You may hear this enough but, thanks for your service. I enjoy not having terrorists in my front yard.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts