Someone explain the Aldmeri Dominion to me

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Osiris

Child of the Sky
I know what the Dominion is, but there are some things im confused with, such as:

If Valenwood is allies with the Dominion, does that mean the Bosmer have to fight the Empire during a hypothetical 2nd Great War?

How is the Dominion so Powerful?

Does the Dominion have it's own private Army, or does it have control of the Summerset Isles and Valenwood's citizen soldiers as well?

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
The Power of the Aldmeri Dominion now is pure political push. They are the types that take advantage of bad situations and make it powerfully good for themselves. It even looks like when nothing is bad... They make it bad, so they can come in and be the Heros ... or atleast the victors in it's politics.

This is why the Skyrim situation is so dire and confussing. The Dominion is using a truse to gain political advantage and create strife amoung those that they have the Truse with. It makes it horrible for both the Skyrim rebels or the Empire to loose in a civil war. Either just makes them stronger.

As well as they get to use the goverment to politicaly inflict their own authority despite who wants it or not (Think :Obamacare!... JK DON"T KICK ME OFF THE FORUMS!)

As for Valenwood, the Rulers of the Province have fallen into their fold. There are probalby many that just simply go along to escape confrontation, and others that are silenced, but the people of the province seem to only fall in line because of the fear of what would happen if they don't. Anyone who truely loves the rulers of Valenwood would be all for the Dominon, but others will lift an eye-brow to what they are doing.

The Fatalist

Destroyer of goats
My interpretation:

Vallenwood is a part of the Aldmeri Dominion, so yes, their armies would be forced to aid the Thalmor.

The Dominion has a powerful influence due to the fact that they claim to of ended the oblivion crisis and brung back one of the moons from an eclipse (which gained the Khajiit's support). With the dissapearance of the champion of Cyrodiil and the sacrifice of Martin Septim, no-one could really claim otherwise. (or dare to)
But one should not just assume they are as powerful as they claim to be. For during the great war, they lost just as many (if not more) troops as the emire did. No-one truly knows of the Thalmor's power, for all anyone knows, they could be pulling off a bluff.

Being as secluded as the Dominion-controlled Summerset Isle is, it is not completely clear as to how strong the Thalmor's reign of the Isle's forces is. It is known however, that not all politicians and citizens agree with their veiws. After all, the empire once helped them repel an Akiviri invasion, that without the Empire's intervention, would of completely wiped out the island.

I would assume however, that yes, the Thalmor does have control over the Isle's full military force. Yet they do seem to operate like a private army, so I don't rightly know.

Lady Redpool the Unlifer

Pyro, Spirits Connoisseur, and Soulless Anarchist
The Dominion, as has already been stated, has half forced/half welcomed support of Valenwood and almost religious support from Elsywer(The Khajiits worship the moons and the Dominion gained their support by bringing one of the moons back supposedly). They do have control of the Summerset Isles. In Skyrim they are pretty much a private army of "secret agents" meant to ensure the continuation of the war and, if possible, take over the province.

All I know is, whenever I see those arrogant fools walking down the road, and one of them says "I'm a Thalmar Justicar, or whatever I do the dialog that makes them hostile, call a flame thrall, and waste them all with my Daedric war axe.

Osiris

Child of the Sky
The AD is pretty much universally hated, the "allies" just don't want to get wiped out and would rather live under the rule of the AD than to not live at all. As far as why they're powerful...uh...have you fought mages in this game?
Yes, Mages get quite cozy with the end of my hammer..