Skyrim: The Illusionists' Challenge

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Okay so my friend and I have seen a couple of videos and posts about an Illusion only challenge. We'd love to do it, but we can't find any actual set parameters for it. So we decided to sit down and do just that. He is the Illusion Magic Only Challenge:

For this challenge, you are only allowed to use Illusion magic (obviously) to make your way through the game. You are not allowed to hold, use, or swing any weapon of any kind (sword, ax, dagger, mace, warhammer, bow, fist, claw, or staff) unless it is for a quest (i.e. Dawnbreaker in The Break of Dawn, Nettlebane in The Blessings of Nature, etc.) or placing it on a rack or plaque. However you are allowed to forge, smith, enchant, and sell weapons for money, experience, and for the benefit of your followers. You cannot wear any armor or apparel (shields included) which give you any armor rating (i.e. Ebony Mail, Necklace of the Major Knight, etc.), but clothing and enchanted clothing (i.e. Gloves, Thalmor boots, etc.) may be worn as well as jewelry as long as it does not increase your armor rating. The spell that are available to you are:

Novice
Level 0
Apprentice
Level 25
Adept
Level 50
Expert
Level 75
Master
Level 100
Vampirism and lycanthropy are allowed (Vampirism is probably better, especially due to Night Stalker's Footsteps and Champion of the Night), as are the vampire specific powers Vampire's Sight, Vampire's Seduction, and Embrace or Shadows. Transforming into a werewolf seems kinda pointless due to the fact that you can do direct damage.

Unique Race Powers (except for Ancestor's Wrath) are also allowed.

You are allowed to have companions to do your dirty work for you, lead people into traps, and use select (non-volital) Dragon Shouts. The shout that can be used are:
  • Whirlwind Sprint
  • Unrelenting Force* (only in The Way of the Voice)
  • Throw Voice
  • Slow Time
  • Kyne's Peace
  • Elemental Fury** (Go ahead. Use it. See all of its usefulness)
  • Dragonrend*** (Only during the Battle(s) with Alduin)
  • Dismay
  • Clear Skies
  • Aura Whisper
  • Animal Allegiance
All links and charts/tables are courtesy of The Elder Scrolls Wiki

Have fun with this. Leave comments for problems. I'm still doing this save myself so forgive me for any obvious issues.

~Alch~

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
This is awesome. I have to try this sometime.

theoperation

Hero of Jorvasskr
I can imagine a lot of running away early on. But as you get better with sneaking and learn better spells, I think you could possibly clear entire dungeons just using illusion spells.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
I can imagine a lot of running away early on. But as you get better with sneaking and learn better spells, I think you could possibly clear entire dungeons just using illusion spells.

Felix the Pacifist.

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
This sounds really, really cool. Definitely going to start this tonight. Question, in this play set, can we become a vampire?

Doomy

Sounds fun in theory, but have the feeling it will become very dull very quickly. Getting through a drauge or dwemer dungeon with only a follower to have any effect will be very very long. Let's not even talk about taking out an ancient dragon.

Dont want to be negative but I tried illusion recently, became master Conjurer and sneak archer before getting illusion much above 75

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk 2

Dark Sage

Meister der Täuschung
This sounds really, really cool. Definitely going to start this tonight. Question, in this play set, can we become a vampire?
Hi Dark Sage here co-conspirator to Alchemist. We have deemed it acceptable aslong as you follow the no direct Violence.

Dark Sage

Meister der Täuschung
Sounds fun in theory, but have the feeling it will become very dull very quickly. Getting through a drauge or dwemer dungeon with only a follower to have any effect will be very very long. Let's not even talk about taking out an ancient dragon.

Dont want to be negative but I tried illusion recently, became master Conjurer and sneak archer before getting illusion much above 75

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk 2
Well in regards to it being difficult im sure it will be but thats the point. And in regards to the draugr/dwemer part once you get the master of the mind perk that stops being a problem. As to the dragon its still gonna be a pain but thats why we have allowed smithing/enchanting for your companion.

Edited to address this. Thanks for your input.

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
Hi Dark Sage here co-conspirator to Alchemist. We have deemed it acceptable aslong as you follow the no direct Violence.
Gotcha. Maybe I can make it so I feed only on the "corrupt", like the Jarl of Falkreath or some sleeping bandits perhaps. Oh, this is going to be a fun challenge.

Dark Sage

Meister der Täuschung
Gotcha. Maybe I can make it so I feed only on the "corrupt", like the Jarl of Falkreath or some sleeping bandits perhaps. Oh, this is going to be a fun challenge.
Well in the parameters we set that would be violent without need but you are of course able to add/subtract whatever you would like to make the playthrough fun for you

Jesus, Dragons are annoying

Iceman_mat

For this challenge, you are only allowed to use Illusion magic (obviously) to make your way through the game.

Can you only go into the Illusion tree?. True you Use Illusion Magic (offensivly) but I'm guesing you are allowing other trees since you can mine / craft for money. If this is so the loop hole in this challenge is the Theif tree. Crouch cloaking and rolling. Simple crouch, cloak, roll, fear, follower kills. Also are consumables aloud? invisablitiy potions would also be used until you get invisibitly spell then you just need to rinse and repeat. Just saying.

This is a good challange but I would say for a "harcore mode" don't allow vampirism, healing via food items and only illusion tree. It would make the choice of sending in your follower a lot more thought out in that Tatitics (e.g go in fear, kite, BAM FOLLOWER!) come into play.

-Cheers

Can you only go into the Illusion tree?. True you Use Illusion Magic (offensivly) but I'm guesing you are allowing other trees since you can mine / craft for money. If this is so the loop hole in this challenge is the Theif tree. Crouch cloaking and rolling. Simple crouch, cloak, roll, fear, follower kills. Also are consumables aloud? invisablitiy potions would also be used until you get invisibitly spell then you just need to rinse and repeat. Just saying.

This is a good challange but I would say for a "harcore mode" don't allow vampirism, healing via food items and only illusion tree. It would make the choice of sending in your follower a lot more thought out in that Tatitics (e.g go in fear, kite, BAM FOLLOWER!) come into play.

-Cheers
Actually JUST leveling the illusion tree would make it easier. Eventually you would stop leveling, let's say at twenty, meaning you would never even encounter a lot of the high level enemies (i.e. Revered Dragon, Legendary Dragon, etc.). Level twenty also happens to be the minimum level prerequisite for a lot of quests. The other stuff is just to make it more entertaining. I would just get super bored without smithing, alchemy, and enchanting...

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts