Skyrim ON PC AND Why You Should Get IT!

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

jarif

I felt like i had to make this thread because the Consoles wont enjoy the experience as PC for two simple reasons
  • Mods
  • Console Commands including pc features like quick save & hotkeys for example
Now let me establish this, i am not PC biased but i prefer consoles over PC. When i got Skyrim on PC i was like damn this is so cool especially with mods which was a blast! But i returned to PS3 and i still preferred PS3 over PC but after a while i tried Role playing and it was BORING or at least not that fun and i missed mods and came to the reliastion what now? i have played this game over 10 times but nothing different, like how much did it suck that couldnt have the dark brotherhood mask? how much did suck that couldnt make the steel plate armor better? how much did it suck that i couldnt well... FLY!!! (random example but you get what im saying) - i even saw a interview with Todd Howard (president of Methesda) and he stated why there was no bear lyncaphory and he said because they added them for the Modders. And this pretty much confirms Skyrim Was MADE for The PC. Now matter what you do on consoles the game was made for PC but was dummed dowm or rather made console friendly for all those casual gamers to get into the series and i never heard of The Elder Scrolls till Skyrim came out. How unrealistic was it when i shot someone in the head and they diddnt die? How stupid was it that i dont die in the freezing cold water? Now what these videos and tell me there not awesome? and ever wanted to be that badass assassin or nightmage? then you can express it through mods and make it how you want it to be
how many times have you have you been a Mage? Magic is so limited but with a mod called midas magic you can have hundreds of spells, tired of the same intro? download live another life and choose what YOU want to be.
Now if your like i prefer to sit on the couch? same here but you get use too it! you just need practice, your just pretty much use too sitting on the couch and find where you are most relaxed at, for me its lying on my bed like a boaws. you will get use to using the keyboards it just took me time plus the controller is easier and if your a PS3 gamer download DS3 and use correct ps3 buttons mod.
I will make list of mods and mod reviewers and further details why you should get Skyrim on PC but if you want to discuss it, discuss it here

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
We know....

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
We know....

Don't be a smart a**. We know you PCers are sanctimonious about your "Special" status. Just cause you're better than us lowly consolers doesn't mean you have to rub our noses in it. :p

As someone who is relatively new to the game and who has never, ever, played a game on the PC, of course I started out on console. Some of us would like to try the PC version but are intimidated and are interested in suggestions as to what sort of computer we should buy (without all the tech geek stuff - not all of us want to manufacture our own PC just for gaming and really don't know one video/graphic card from another and barely know what an AMD Athelon is other than the sign on our laptop) and to learn how to make the transition w/out an entirely new learning curve. I am particularly interested in the game on PC for the mods, but am really not interested in it being keyboard and mouse based as I use a computer all day at work and prefer the controller at night. I am hoping that Jarif can take us from the ground up.

jarif

MUST HAVE MODS
SKSE & SKYUI i wont go into too much detail but il put a video to explain
Skyrim Redone, this pretty much makes the game into a whole new game and makes the skill tree bigger!
Frost fall makes Skyrim as it should be a giant frozen country and you have to survive in it
Hunterborn makes hunting more fun
Realistic needs and diseases makes you eat and sleep, getting drunk and realistic diseases
Imaginator makes the game look like how you want it to be
Live another life makes you choose what you want to be
Aesir armor you can customize into your own armor
Midas magic adds more magic and get blink for teleporting
Dwarven mechanical equipment gives you stuff like hidden blade
Immersive armors and J swords adds 100s of armors and weapons
amedianborn makes the armors more HD and changes a lot of things
Nightingale prime
Dynavision makes your game like camera
UFO adds unlimited followers and makes followers better
my home is your home makes followers go to your house instead of being really quite
Convient horses adds better horses and horse armor
Skyrim unofficial patch fixes things like adding a mask to the dark brotherhood
ultimate combat makes the combat 100% better
Immersive monsters adds over 1000 monsters
Dual wielding and Mystic Knight (changes character animations)
I could go on and on but i dont know your tates in mods so you should choose so i will give a few popular youtubers and you can scroll their mod reviews
GophersVids
Brodual
MMOXreviews

Daelon DuLac

well it depends on what you have, you should get a laptop or computer that focuses on gaming like £400 £500 BUT if you want to do better you should go beyond that boundry, even if you get a laptop thats like £500 for example but dosent focus on gaming it should run fine but dont expect to play ultra high graphics, it might be usefull to ask a computer expert somewhere in the forums
I think I'd go for a tower model for higher ram, storage and the ability to upgrade cards easily (I have a friend who's good at that sort of stuff) for the best graphics, sound and processing. I suppose any of the recommended ones would work. I'll look in to it. Found a nice dell, a nice gateway and a nice hp for around 1K USD with 3 tbs storage.

jarif

I think I'd go for a tower model for higher ram, storage and the ability to upgrade cards easily (I have a friend who's good at that sort of stuff) for the best graphics, sound and processing. I suppose any of the recommended ones would work. I'll look in to it. Found a nice dell, a nice gateway and a nice hp for around 1K USD with 3 tbs storage.
besides you can always upgrade it later :)

Daelon DuLac

Now on to the adjustment from the console to the PC. I know that the xBox controller works w/out any special software and that I can get the PS3 to work as well, but, other than that sort of thing, what changes in your playstyle have you had to make when you made the switch?

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
I don't play on a PC and even though I will admit that a lot of the mods are really cool and some could even be considered 'must-haves'. Imo, Skyrim is plenty big and deep enough without mods. I don't feel like I'm missing much and I've read all the reviews. I'm good on console personally.

jarif

Now on to the adjustment from the console to the PC. I know that the xBox controller works w/out any special software and that I can get the PS3 to work as well, but, other than that sort of thing, what changes in your playstyle have you had to make when you made the switch?
pretty much what i could do, like say i wanted to be badass nightmage (assassin and mage) i could, say if i wanted to be batman then i could be batman. i have to be committed to my characters even the smallest things like if they vegetables or not, stuff like that also roleplay cuz example you dont want to kill paarthunaax theres mods where can prevent it and that shows you have more freedom then consoles

Daelon DuLac

besides you can always upgrade it later :)
True, but I'm far too lazy for that. I make good money, I'll just buy a new one and donate the old one. While I'm a wiz at actually using the programs and training others to use them, as to the actual build? Even after using these damned things since the 70s, I haven't a clue how their put together. :)

jarif

I don't play on a PC and even though I will admit that a lot of the mods are really cool and some could even be considered 'must-haves'. Imo, Skyrim is plenty big and deep enough without mods. I don't feel like I'm missing much and I've read all the reviews. I'm good on console personally.
say that after you get it on PC then you can see if you are playing skyrim

Sean

lost somewhere
Don't be a smart a**. We know you PCers are sanctimonious about your "Special" status. Just cause you're better than us lowly consolers doesn't mean you have to rub our noses in it. :p

As someone who is relatively new to the game and who has never, ever, played a game on the PC, of course I started out on console. Some of us would like to try the PC version but are intimidated and are interested in suggestions as to what sort of computer we should buy (without all the tech geek stuff - not all of us want to manufacture our own PC just for gaming and really don't know one video/graphic card from another and barely know what an AMD Athelon is other than the sign on our laptop) and to learn how to make the transition w/out an entirely new learning curve. I am particularly interested in the game on PC for the mods, but am really not interested in it being keyboard and mouse based as I use a computer all day at work and prefer the controller at night. I am hoping that Jarif can take us from the ground up.

I use my Xbox controller to play Skyrim on the PC, also, read my sig.

Anyways, Skyrim was made for the Xbox 360, and then ported to the PC (which is obvious in its UI).
The werebears were a thing for PC players, but the game itself was more directed to the 360.

They did that, because the 360 is the lowest in terms of hardware, so was the minimum for the game.
That is a better move than making the game for the PC, and then having to port it back only to find out that it doesn't work.

I preferred Skyrim on the Xbox up until they were done with it, as I was only going to move over once everything was done, despite being able to play the game on Ultra.

Also, a lot of people don't want to shell out $600+ for a computer when they already have one, and they already have the console edition of the game.

Daelon DuLac

MUST HAVE MODS
SKSE & SKYUI i wont go into too much detail but il put a video to explain
Skyrim Redone, this pretty much makes the game into a whole new game and makes the skill tree bigger!
Frost fall makes Skyrim as it should be a giant frozen country and you have to survive in it
Hunterborn makes hunting more fun
Realistic needs and diseases makes you eat and sleep, getting drunk and realistic diseases
Imaginator makes the game look like how you want it to be
Live another life makes you choose what you want to be
Aesir armor you can customize into your own armor
Midas magic adds more magic and get blink for teleporting
Dwarven mechanical equipment gives you stuff like hidden blade
Immersive armors and J swords adds 100s of armors and weapons
amedianborn makes the armors more HD and changes a lot of things
Nightingale prime
Dynavision makes your game like camera
UFO adds unlimited followers and makes followers better
my home is your home makes followers go to your house instead of being really quite
Convient horses adds better horses and horse armor
Skyrim unofficial patch fixes things like adding a mask to the dark brotherhood
ultimate combat makes the combat 100% better
Immersive monsters adds over 1000 monsters
Dual wielding and Mystic Knight (changes character animations)
I could go on and on but i dont know your tates in mods so you should choose so i will give a few popular youtubers and you can scroll their mod reviews
GophersVids
Brodual
MMOXreviews
I was looking at one of the mods listings and there seem to be over 100 of them! Wow! A lot of them I would never use (example: Frost Fall), I just don't need to get that immersive. I'd never get away from the game and I don't think my boss would like that.

Daelon DuLac

I agree with you at this point, but, since this is the only game I play at the moment and is the only one in a genre I have actually like, and, since I am getting a new PC shortly anyhow, I figured I might try it on PC too. I'm enjoying it on PS3 and am about to get the DLCs so I'm in no hurry. Just want to think about it.

LotusEater

Lol, you think I live in a cave? I've seen, played and read reviews, Skyrim mods aren't exactly new. You are right, it is a different experience with the right mods but mods also come with their fair share of drama too if you not careful.

jarif

Lol, you think I live in a cave? I've seen, played and read reviews, Skyrim mods aren't exactly new. You are right, it is a different experience with the right mods but mods also come with their fair share of drama too if you not careful.
ok im sorry i was just saying but its more fun on PC :) like blowing up whiterun with 100 exploding chickens

Daelon DuLac

I use my Xbox controller to play Skyrim on the PC, also, read my sig.

Anyways, Skyrim was made for the Xbox 360, and then ported to the PC (which is obvious in its UI).
The werebears were a thing for PC players, but the game itself was more directed to the 360.

They did that, because the 360 is the lowest in terms of hardware, so was the minimum for the game.
That is a better move than making the game for the PC, and then having to port it back only to find out that it doesn't work.

I preferred Skyrim on the Xbox up until they were done with it, as I was only going to move over once everything was done, despite being able to play the game on Ultra.

Also, a lot of people don't want to shell out $600+ for a computer when they already have one, and they already have the console edition of the game.
I see what you're saying and do agree. I have an xBox but it's just in a closet now as I prefer the PS3 myself, and it's pretty much the same thing. I like the console and fully intend to continue with it, but, figured, since I'm buying a new desktop anyhow, I'd like to find out what kind of transition I can expect when I buy a Skyrim for the PC. I still haven't gotten the other 4 TES ones or Oblivion, but will.

New thing, new things.

Sean

lost somewhere
ok im sorry i was just saying but its more fun on PC :) like blowing up whiterun with 100 exploding chickens

You can surround Whiterun in giant chickens on the Xbox, and you can create underground custom areas on the Xbox as well.
I just need to go into more detail on my topic to show how, lol

LotusEater

I totally agree. Mods are really cool but it just seems like you are implying that console players are missing out big time on something that is an easy change. It's not though. Even just making the jump from console to PC is a huge stretch for a lot. Then you gotta get familiar with the modding community and learn how to weed out junk mods. Some mods affect quests and NPC's and must be turned off to continue, other can break your game or force you to reload earlier saves.

But if you REALLY want to immerse yourself into Skyrim, it would be worth it to go that route.

LotusEater

If I could wish list mods for the console pretty much all of mine would be to improve textures and to make things like the night sky more vibrant and detailed. Things like that. The mods that make the civil war more realistic and prevalent would be on my wish list too.