Skyrim - Do you ever get the feeling of missing something? Or Nostalgia or such

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

jarif

Does anybody ever get the feeling they are missing something or miss something?
As my first proper mod playthrough on PC I have all the immersion mods and I stopped fast traveling which made this more relevant.

Anyway, I was on the way to have revenge from the Silver hand because of Kodlaks death. Some much rage and hate was poured into this journey. On the way, I had a few adventures; well actually quite a few. It had been at least 2 weeks (in-game with no fast travel), Vilkas kept saying to me ''Hurry up and lets get to Kodlaks funeral'' and for someone that doesn't fast travel, it really felt like I was exiled from Whiterun in a sense. The more I was ready and finished everything I did along the way, the more I felt like I wanted to go to Whiterun quicker but I ended back coming after approximately 2 weeks.
So I kinda missed Whiterun. Bit weird even though its a game.

So, do you guys ever get a feeling that you miss something? If not? Nostalgia or such in Skyrim?

khazan99

Semi-professional cabbage collector
I have a mod that adds a simple one-room house in Riverwood and I use it as my RP character's home. After being away for a very long time, roaming all the way to Solitude and Markarth and back, mining lots of ore, fighting off bandits, etc etc..., returning to that little house in quiet Riverwood and hearing Stump the dog bark made me feel very nostalgic indeed. I completely agree with you...!

Chadonraz

I always start to miss Whiterun when I'm adventuring for a longer stretch of time (after I've first discovered the city, of course). Always.

When I'm on Solstheim, I quickly start to miss Skyrim. Returning is always wonderful - even when a dragon immediately attacks (which is common).

Gigapact

Lollygagging Milk Drinker (according to guards)
Huh, I actually also miss Whiterun, apparently I'm definitely not the only one.

I think it has something to do that it's typically the first city you go to, as well as it has a "homey" feeling in a sense. Places like Markarth and Riften just have that "cold" and gloomy feeling, due to the way people act towards you and say, like, "Riften doesn't want you here and blah blah." It just makes you want to hit them. It's also the look of those cities. Markarth is mainly stone, and Riften is a little cloudy. Dawnstar just has an eerie feel to it, and Winterhold you can barely see because of all the snow, they just don't feel homey.

But then you go to Whiterun and many people are so welcoming (mostly) and the city is pretty and not built of just stone and it's never foggy. I'm starting to miss it now, even though, like you said, it's just a game.

jarif

Huh, I actually also miss Whiterun, apparently I'm definitely not the only one.

I think it has something to do that it's typically the first city you go to, as well as it has a "homey" feeling in a sense. Places like Markarth and Riften just have that "cold" and gloomy feeling, due to the way people act towards you and say, like, "Riften doesn't want you here and blah blah." It just makes you want to hit them. It's also the look of those cities. Markarth is mainly stone, and Riften is a little cloudy. Dawnstar just has an eerie feel to it, and Winterhold you can barely see because of all the snow, they just don't feel homey.

But then you go to Whiterun and many people are so welcoming (mostly) and the city is pretty and not built of just stone and it's never foggy. I'm starting to miss it now, even though, like you said, it's just a game.

The mostly bit is quite funny actually, I was learning to whistle for my horse (convenient horse) and I was asking the people of Whiterun for training and Nazeem said he could teach me if I paid him a lot of gold. However, this was a scam as he gave a note to learn to whistle but the note actually said something like hahaha (well something bully-ish) and that was such a troll, my character so wanted to kill him. Apart from that, Whiteruns a lovely place.

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
I used to be nostalgic about stuff. I miss that. :D

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
When I've been away from any cities for a long time because I've been running around in the wilderness or exploring caves and dungeons, it's always a happy moment when I return to a city. I agree with the rest of you, I love returning to Whiterun after a long time away. I love the pale, simple beauty of the city. I also love the Gildergreen. :)

AS88

Staff member
I have a mod that adds a simple one-room house in Riverwood and I use it as my RP character's home. After being away for a very long time, roaming all the way to Solitude and Markarth and back, mining lots of ore, fighting off bandits, etc etc..., returning to that little house in quiet Riverwood and hearing Stump the dog bark made me feel very nostalgic indeed. I completely agree with you...!

What is the name of that mod, please? :)

Chadonraz

The mostly bit is quite funny actually, I was learning to whistle for my horse (convenient horse) and I was asking the people of Whiterun for training and Nazeem said he could teach me if I paid him a lot of gold. However, this was a scam as he gave a note to learn to whistle but the note actually said something like hahaha (well something bully-ish) and that was such a troll, my character so wanted to kill him. Apart from that, Whiteruns a lovely place.

I really liked whistling at Nazeem and other unpleasant NPCs. :D
Have since uninstalled CH, but now sure am glad I never paid anyone to teach or "teach" me to whistle for my horse.

In addition to Whiterun I sometimes miss Falkreath as well, especially if I've spent a lot of time there and left the Hold for an extended period of time (say a game week or two).

Right now I'm really missing those two Holds, and Skyrim in general, as I've spent quite a few days on (in?) Falskaar. Same deal as with Solstheim, really.

JClarke1953

As much as I like Whiterun, for some reason I prefer Riften. The home the Dragonborn buys can be equipped with Enchant and Alchemy stations, and the people there are pretty nice as well (as long as the Guild doesn't prosper). At least with my other char anyway.

As far as my new char Lillith, Skyrim better stand by. She has her own agenda, and unless it's a means to an end that benefits her agenda, all other's interests are secondary.

It's just too bad Drelas Cottage can't be used for much. She'd love to live there.

khazan99

Semi-professional cabbage collector

What is the name of that mod, please? :)

It's a good mod, and adds a simple home to Rorikstead, Riverwood, Falkreath, Morthal, Dawnstar, Winterhold, Karthwasten, Ivarstead, Dragon Bridge and Shor's Stone! It is called "A Home in Every Village" Steam Workshop link

JClarke1953

Dang! Sure wish it could be put into XBox, because my character does not like her choices! And getting Heathfire is out of the question because of the bug 's and glitches that are in it. That and the constant threat of bandit's, etc...

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Hah, I enjoy Whiterun, too. I mean, I don't think I miss Whiterun, but certain people/things in Whiterun. My main is leader of the Companions and I sometimes miss hanging out in Jorrvaskr. I often spend the night drinking with my Companions before passing out in my quarters. And of course I always stop in to say hello to Adrianne. :oops:

The other thing I miss is my home in Falkreath. My character, Lydia (stewart), and Rayya have made a nice little family. The three of them hang out and sometimes it's just nice to come home, relax, and to try to shoot stuff with an arrow from atop the manor. I always wonder about getting married... it's the only way to have a fourth person in the home, but I struggle to figure out who I like enough and who would mesh well with Lydia and Rayya. The idea of having four really strong female warriors under one roof... I would imagine we would need to think of a name for ourselves. We could probably give the Companions a run for their money.

Asiaxfani

I always miss Skyrim when I'm on Solstheim, that much is certain. I've also managed to get a bit too into my character, so to speak; she is a Redguard, and sometimes I really feel like I miss Hammerfell. In her backstory she's from Stros M'kai, and whenever I hear the sound of the ocean in the game, I feel all nostalgic and a bit homesick. And no, I've never played Redguard so I've never actually seen the place ... am I a bit too into this game or something? O_O

I know this wasn't exactly the point in question, but if there's something I miss in Skyrim, it is that feeling I had when the game was all new and shiny. I've been playing it pretty much non-stop since it came out, and by this point I know the map like the back of my hand. There isn't a single tree or rock in the forests I'm not familiar with. I've started new saves so many times that all the quests I've done, I've done them six times already. I still have some locations to explore (I've been saving them, lol), but I cannot pretend it's not getting old. With the ESO being a no-go for me, and not a next ES game on the horizon... I miss the overwhelming feeling of a new adventure.

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
As much as I love Skyrim, after thousands of hours of play time, most effects it had on me have long since worn off. I feel nostalgic for that sense of adventurer I had when I had just started the game, and knew nothing about it. Now though, most of the fun's gone. I've gotten my build and playstyles down to a finely tuned machine, I role played the crap out of the game.... but after awhile... you just need something new. Dawnguard definitely brung back the feeling with NPCs like Serana, with their huge amount of possible dialogue. Healthcare had my attention too, but in the end it just wasn't enough to hold my attention. Then Dragonborn came along, and I thought I'd be satisfied. And I was for awhile. Before Miraak turned out to be a more disappointing Final Boss than Alduin (who was an awesome Final Boss the first time) who was just too easy to steamroll. Riding Dragons had a lot of potential, as well as the mind control, but they ruined dragonriding and the mind control didn't last long enough to be of any fun. The Ebony Warrior though... THAT got my attention. After I finally fueled him and defeated him, I wanted to do it all again. I definitely became nostalgic for that.

JClarke1953

I watched 10,000 B.C. the other day, I like Conan the Barbarian style flicks as well. Imagine living in those day's, when your Honor, Strength and Heart defined you.

"Back in the day" for me, I'd like to have lived then. I think I might have done well as a younger man.