• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
I have just recently followed Ralof out of Helgen. After leaving and while speaking with Gerdur and Hod I believe he mentions something about how the Empire would not dare to give Ulfric a fair trial. Is there any other evidence of a trial that takes place in Skyrim or in the Empire? I personally cannot see any of the Jarls letting anyone have a trial.

High King of Skyrim

King of the barbarian horde
I have just recently followed Ralof out of Helgen. After leaving and while speaking with Gerdur and Hod I believe he mentions something about how the Empire would not dare to give Ulfric a fair trial. Is there any other evidence of a trial that takes place in Skyrim or in the Empire? I personally cannot see any of the Jarls letting anyone have a trial.
I think the whole issue is the circumstances surrounding Torygg's death in Solitude. Ulfric has invoked an old Nord tradition of a challenge to fight Torygg to the death. The Empire however, doesn't necessarily recognise this as legal though, hence Ulfric labeled a murderer. Who's right?, I guess it depends on opinion.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
There is no need for a trial. Ulfric is guilty of High Treason, the punishment is death. Any act against (whether directly or indirectly, or any nonaction which results in circumstances, directly or indirectly, against) a allegiated sovereign or by a vassal to a liege, resulting (or what a reasonable person would assume would result) in physical, emotional, mental, or magical harm or injury in said sovereign or liege. The punishment for this crime will be death. - Legal Basics.

There also appears to be no trial system within Skyrim.
In the Imperial City, legal counsel is available by persons like myself, but the provinces have no such system in place. Perhaps that will change in time. We can all hope so. - Legal Basics.

Skyrim has been part of the Third Empire since it was declared by Emperor Tiber Septim, after all that time there appears to be no courts of law, it would seem Nords are generally opposed to having them. Big men with big beards with big axes sitting around talking doesn't seem to fit in with Nordic culture that heavily surrounds violence.

In Nord terms, trials are probably for Milk-drinkers.

Sahdira

If he were to speak at his own trial would Ulfric not just kill everyone with his voice? This is troublesome, yes.

Off with their heads , swift but flawed justice . Kinda brings to mind certain areas in the world today . Nasty business .

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts