• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

ShelboTron

Yes, I'm a total Skyrim noob so bare with me.
Does having a higher level already make you more effective in that area without putting perks into it?

For example, say I level my speech up to 50 or so...but I don't put any perks into it. I just keep it at level 50. Does that still make my speech more effective? Or is it basically useless without perks?
This question goes for ALL skills...
Do perks weigh heavily on the effects of skills? Or are they just that..perks..

The Spectre of Skyrim

An Evil-turned-good guy
No, it does give bonuses. For example, many magical skills decrease the amount of mana required to cast those kinds of spells as you level the skill. And higher weapon skills make your weapons do more damage.

ShelboTron

Yeah I understand what perks do, I'm just saying..do you have to use perks in a certain skill tree for that skill to be effective.

Like the example I used, if my speech is 50, do I still get better prices at merchants even though I didn't put a perk into it?

The Spectre of Skyrim

An Evil-turned-good guy
Yeah I understand what perks do, I'm just saying..do you have to use perks in a certain skill tree for that skill to be effective.

Like the example I used, if my speech is 50, do I still get better prices at merchants even though I didn't put a perk into it?
You misunderstood me - I said that every level you increase a skill by gives you a bonus. For example, increasing your skill in a weapon skill increases the damage that weapon does, and this happens for every time you level up that skill. It's more effective if you do use perks, but yes, having 50 skill and no perks is more effective than 20 skill and no perks, because of the bonus you get every level you increase the skill by.

ShelboTron

You misunderstood me - I said that every level you increase a skill by gives you a bonus. For example, increasing your skill in a weapon skill increases the damage that weapon does, and this happens for every time you level up that skill. It's more effective if you do use perks, but yes, having 50 skill and no perks is more effective than 20 skill and no perks, because of the bonus you get every level you increase the skill by.

Ah okay, thanks for clearing that up for me. Sorry for the confusion.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki

In the case of Speech, I wouldn't think you'd get higher prices as just your Speech level increases, but I could be wrong, I've never actually bothered to document it. What does increase is your ability to successfully Persuade/Intimidate NPCs.

XbSuper

Everything gets better with increased skill. Perks just add a little extra to your skills. For weapon skills, each skill increase adds 0.5% (or maybe just 0.5 not % can't remember) to your damage with that type of weapon. Perks will add extra effects, such as even more % of damage, bleed effects, etc. For speech, you will get better prices with just increased skill and no perks, you will also be better at persuading and intimidation checks. Hope this helps.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
Everything gets better with increased skill. Perks just add a little extra to your skills. For weapon skills, each skill increase adds 0.5% (or maybe just 0.5 not % can't remember) to your damage with that type of weapon. Perks will add extra effects, such as even more % of damage, bleed effects, etc. For speech, you will get better prices with just increased skill and no perks, you will also be better at persuading and intimidation checks. Hope this helps.

Ah okay, thanks for the clarification on Speech. I was thinking that it might since I'm able to sell Iron/Forsworn/Ancient Nord Arrows for 1g after a while, but in the beginning they were worthless.

Lockpicking, Alchemy, Pickpocket, Smithing, Enchanting.... no effect by leveling right?

Shadow Scales

No-
alchemy- potions are stronger
lockpicking- sweetspot is bigger
Pickpocket- higher % chance
Smithing- better improvements
enchanting- stronger enchants

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Everything gets better with increased skill. Perks just add a little extra to your skills. For weapon skills, each skill increase adds 0.5% (or maybe just 0.5 not % can't remember) to your damage with that type of weapon.
:confused: It's 0.2 or 20 %