Skeleton Key: Is it worth keeping it?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
The trade-off of course, being that I'll never get to be the Thieve's Queen. But in the grand scale of things, do you guys think it's ultimately for the best that I surrender the key or just keep it to myself?

I just became the head of the DB, and with that, I immediately spent my 20k earn to renovate the place. I was a little disappointed to be honest. :sadface: Now, I want to monopolize the underground world, by being the heads of all significant guild in said trade.

So do you think it would be in my best interest to keep on lockpicking stuff to level up my skill or sacrificing a potential position as the boss of the Thieve's Guild worth it by keeping the key?

I don't exactly care about the deal with Nocturnal because I'm a night walker (Vampire). :D

Raijin

A Mage that loves a Templar
I always keep the skeleton key :) Besides I honestly do not want to become the boss of the thieves guild. Just as much as I don't want to become the boss of the companions or the Dark brotherhood.

I'm too busy dealing with my vampire lord duties than to be dealing with mortal affairs.

I always keep the skeleton key :) Besides I honestly do not want to become the boss of the thieves guild. Just as much as I don't want to become the boss of the companions or the Dark brotherhood.

I'm too busy dealing with my vampire lord duties than to be dealing with mortal affairs.

I'm just a regular Vampire at this point in time, but I do want to take over the human realm by subtly monopolizing the very things that controls their world. I have the Dawnguard purchased the other day but I've yet to launch the primary quests; just grinding stuffs here for the meantime. Any particular tips/advice before starting it for the first time?

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
I say no. Lockpicking isn't even worth perking. I wouldn't pass up a cool power for it. I would think you could find a use for one of the powers.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
it would be funny to see Nocturnal's and Karliah's reaction when they learn you are Immortal

TJ0331

Nords forever
I never keep it. I find that picking locks is fun without it.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
absolutely! the skeleton key is the ONLY reason i mess with the thieves guild, its a neccesary evil if you want an unbreakable lock pick and i can't imagine why anyone would return it other than to get an achievement or something for completing all quests, i personally hate the thieves guild, they're assholes who rob and harass people for no reason then claim there's somehow honor in it, i think not.. wish you could destroy them like you can the dark brotherhood but unfortunately they all have infinite health. :rolleyes:

jarif

absolutely! the skeleton key is the ONLY reason i mess with the thieves guild, its a neccesary evil if you want an unbreakable lock pick and i can't imagine why anyone would return it other than to get an achievement or something for completing all quests, i personally hate the thieves guild, they're assholes who rob and harass people for no reason then claim there's somehow honor in it, i think not.. wish you could destroy them like you can the dark brotherhood but unfortunately they all have infinite health. :rolleyes:

unless you have console commands :rolleyes:
I wonder in Bethesda games and not game mechanics, why are normal lock picks so weak?

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
It depends on what you're RPing to me. While it's useful, I don't usually keep it as lock-picking really isn't that difficult in the first place and I always have WAAAYYYY more picks than I know what to do with anyway (my 7th level mage has over 200 already and likes to pick expert & master locks too!).

I usually turn it over just so I can get the Nightingale armour (it looks cool to me - very Batmanesk) and works well on my girls.

I agree that the lock-picking tree is pretty worthless, but, sometimes it's fun to perk it all the way up and just pick any lock easily (I do it by going legendary on something else and then eventually legendizing it as well since I don't need the perks).

Just me 2 cents. :)

Hmmmmm Well I thought about keeping it once , but just never was able to justify what would be the up side of having that key , I can pick ANY lock in the game without it. :cowboy:

Lars Of Morrowind

You could keep it until you've leveled up in lockpicking, but I don't think keeping it forever is worth it. Especially if you want to be Guild Master.
It's not like regular lockpicks are hard to come by.

LotusEater

I don't understand why anyone would want to keep it. Lockpicking is easy. I don't return it to get achievements. I return it so I can get Agent of Subterfuge.

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation

I don't understand why anyone would want to keep it. Lockpicking is easy. I don't return it to get achievements. I return it so I can get Agent of Subterfuge.
lock picking without the skeleton key is only easy if you spend the neccesary perks, sure you can pick even a master lock with no perks invested in lock picking if you have enough lock picks but it can take hours and i don't have the patience for that.. plus why waste perk points you don't have to? thats a stupid concept.

Daelon DuLac

lock picking without the skeleton key is only easy if you spend the neccesary perks, sure you can pick even a master lock with no perks invested in lock picking if you have enough lock picks but it can take hours and i don't have the patience for that.. plus why waste perk points you don't have to? thats a stupid concept.
Hmm... I've never had that issue. I've always been able to pick even master locks never using more than 2 or 3 picks (on the masters). Maybe some of us just take to it. I know I get frustrated sometimes, but I've never taken more than 5 picks on any lock.

LotusEater

Who said anything about perks points? I don't even bother with those. I never have an issue with picking locks. I haven't spent a perk point in Lockpicking since my first build. I don't know what to tell you if it takes you hours to pick a master lock. That's terrible. Every now and then I run in to a tricky master lock but most times I have masters cracked in less than 10 picks. And since I loot 10X that from bandits and they weigh nothing, it makes the Skeleton Key pretty useless imo. I don't think I've ever bought a lockpick and I always seem to have about 200 on me.

Daelon DuLac

Who said anything about perks points? I don't even bother with those. I never have an issue with picking locks. I haven't spent a perk point in Lockpicking since my first build. I don't know what to tell you if it takes you hours to pick a master lock. That's terrible. Every now and then I run in to a tricky master lock but most times I have masters cracked in less than 10 picks. And since I loot 10X that from bandits and they weigh nothing, it makes the Skeleton Key pretty useless imo. I don't think I've ever bought a lockpick and I always seem to have about 200 on me.
Agree. Sometimes, when I make something else legendary and I'm pretty close on picking, I'll perk it up just to make opening locks easy for a short time and then legendize it when I hit 100. If you do perk up it really does make it ridiculously easy, especially since you can do it without any pretty easily anyway. Just my 2 cents. :)

Its very rare that I use any more than 5 picks on any lock. Lock picking is easy. I've often thought about using perks on lockpicking just to get the golden touch and the treasure hunter perks, but never did.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

Daelon DuLac

You want super ridiculously easy? I used the lockpick enchantment on 3 items once and perked the tree up all the way too. It's a wonder that everything didn't just pop open when I walked past. It sure did as soon as I touched it. I wonder what the max lockpicking chance actually is. Dagmar?

HappyFaceClown

PunkNation
look fellas, lock picking on this game is all about luck, contrary to popular belief there is no "secret sound" that lets you know if you're near the sweet spot, you may unlock a master lock on the first try with one lock pick and no perks invested in the skill at all or it may take over 200 lock picks before you get it open, there is no "skill" in doing it and i challenge anyone to post a vid of them picking master locks at will with no perks invested in the skill, once or twice you may get lucky on an expert or master lock but sooner or later you're going to be sitting for an hour hoping the damn thing opens before you run out of picks and i'm the type of guy who doesn't deal in luck.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts